When White Meets Red

Kankou

Kei Shojitsu looked at the most recent reports on the economy of "Greater Korea". While technically it was still part of the UFE, it still retained its internal independence, and it should soon be fully free in the future. In the meantime, he was in a small office in Xinyan, waiting to go back.

"40% of trade with UFE..... Obvious. 25% with Zargathia..... That can't be helped. 23% with Austria. Germans as usua- WHAT?"

He looked up to the aide who had brought up the report to him.

"Why the !@#$@#$ hell is Austria doing here?"

"Sir, it's because of the city of Ehestadt. You know, that funny little colony."

A short silence continued as the former Prince comtemplated the situation.

"Call Roderich, we're going to have some nice Kaiserschmarrn and Germknödel."

Incidently, the Austrian Imperial family had been invited to Beijing for the post-Downfall conference. Figuring he might take a chance, the Chairperson went straight to the Austrian Embassy after sending prior notice.

[i]Kei Shojitsu of the Greater Korean Federation would like an audience with the highest Austrian authority, concerning matters of Ehestadt.[/i]

Rudolph Schweisgut, the Austrian Ambassador to the United Federation of the East was the first to receive the Chairperson upon his arrival at the embassy. While it struck him as bit of a surprise, he was happy for the visit and was curious to learn of the Koreans concerns of the Austrian city rising up in the Asian Northeast. He assumed the worst of course, echoes of nationalism and Asian-First moving through his head, but if the Chairperson was adamant on extensive relations and talks, the embassy was the best place to start. From there, the Hapsburgs, Minister Kant, or Chancellor Saenger could be alerted and discussions could continue.

Walking into the lobby of the embassy where the Chairperson would be waiting, Schweisgut bowed his head low and smiled then extending a hand towards the man. "Your Excellency, it is a pleasure to meet you. Let's go up to my office and we can chat about Ehestadt. If you would like I can see what I can do to talk with Her Highness, the Foreign Minister, or the Chancellor, though I feel you and I can get a lot accomplished right here." He led the Kei up through the embassy and into a comfortable office, decorated in a mixture of Austrian and Chinese styles with photographs of the Ambassador's travels throughout the country.

"Can I get you anything to drink? I pretty much have everything, an extensive collection I've been acquiring over the years." He said taking a seat and folding his hands. "And of course, I'm anxious to hear Korea's concerns over Princess Theresia and Imperator Jia's project in the north."

Kei looked at the hand coolly with his red eyes, and did not return the shake.. The overall aristocratic atmosphere, like that of a vampire count, would seem to freeze the room. But slowly a smile appeared on the icy face.

[img]http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac318/kousenkankou/Characters/keishojitsu.png[/img]

“It would be necessary for the Empress and her sisters to be here for the main discussions, for I have some things prepared which would require their specific approval. But while we wait, we might as well proceed with some of the lesser topics.”

He sat on the chair in one fluid move, as if this had been his room for quite a long time. Confidence, the only word that could describe the situation.

“First, Austria should know that there are a few factions within Greater Korea. While the government which will be reestablished soon will be quite ethnocentric, I can say that there will be enough restrains from the other factions to keep things from going too far. I myself happen to be the leader of one moderate group. So, Austria need not worry of any attacks on the existence of Ehestadt, for it will be important even for Korea, given the economic potentials to be exploited.

Assumign the situation as I presented, I wish to ask of what Austria has in ind for East Asia. The close relationship between the UFE and Austria is certainly a strong link, which I believe can be connected to the Sino-Korean and German-Korean friendships. I see great possibilities with what might be achieved, and I am willing to support Austria in such a venture.”

Needless to say the hopeful mood the Ambassador had seemed to vanish out the window into the Chinese air with a sigh. "While Her Majesty can be bothered to come here on specific state duty Princess Angelika and Princess Theresia have no power in the Austrian government, it would be entirely up to them if they wish to come along, as it were. While I of course realize that our arrival here in Asia can be looked as some as unnecessary and perhaps even counter-productive to the Pan-Asian Atmosphere, Ehestadt has done nothing than build Sino-Austrian relations to the point where our people see a relationship with Beijing stronger than one with Berlin. That said, it is not our concern to play ethnic politics, they tend to muddy things up.

Furthermore, the link between Austria and Korea would be most desired, as we already have a strong link between ourselves and the Germans. Along with the previously mentioned Austro-Chinese Alliance. However, the attacks you mentioned before, while I commend you for your moderate stance, Mr. Chairperson, I believe I can speak for Her Majesty in that Austria would be very hesitant with this ethnocentric regime you mentioned. One thing that often comes with ethnocentricism is an aura of elitism. I cannot speak for my European brethren in Slavorussia, Germany, Athens, or the United Kingdom, but having been at the crossroads of Europe and having dealt with a chaotic change of regimes from communists to nordists, Austria has become rather tolerant of ethnic, cultural, and religious differences. Thus, if this regime you speak of would be too radical, bonds may come difficult, if at all."

He turned and pressed a button on his desk connecting him with a secretary in the lobby. "Marta, dear, if you would please place a private call to Her Majesty. If she has time to exit the festivities, the Korean Chairperson would like an audience with her...Yes, thank you, oh and do ask her if her sisters would like to come along, the gentleman would like to speak with them as well...Thank you dear." Schweisgut looked back up at the Chairperson. "In a few minutes, it shouldn't take Her Highness long." He said in monotone, there was no point really in being welcoming.

stiffening of the Ambassador almost made Kei laugh, which he managed to surpress just barely. This was going to be a most entertaining time if things were kept up for a while.

"Of course, playing the ethnic purity game is one of the most destructive activities, which is why others and myself will do all we can to restrain Korean ultranationalism from becoming too strong a force in East Asian politics. Perhaps before jumping the gun about worrying, you might want to work with those that you [i]can[/i] work with. Isn't that what diplomacy is all about, getting friends to counter potential foes?

And you might want to know my exact title: Chairperson of the Economic Planning Board. All Korean economic policies must to through me, so it is not as if I'm just a minor figure on the scene."

Kei would wait until the Hapsburgs came, with a smirk on his face

"My thoughts exactly, work with those who you can work with and most definitely work with those who you [i]want[/i] to work with." The Ambassador replied with a smile. Dealing with hard-asses was always fun, because whether the country was the strongest nation on the face of the earth, it was always a pleasure to turn them away if in fact their mannerisms were so elitist it made one gag in even entering a diplomatic discussion. Surely, if the moderate representatives of Korea held such a display, the radicals must be riots at parties.

Kei and the Ambassador had no such small talk on the time it took Maria and her younger sister, Angelika, arrived at the embassy. Theresia had taken a personal trip with Jia out in the countryside and Maria had promised to rely any information from the meeting to both the Would-Be-Imperatrix and the Chinese Imperator. Ehestadt was as much a Chinese city as an Austrian one and Maria enjoyed the relationship she had with her would-be-brother-in-law, there was no need to hide negotiations and she actually had hoped the Imperator could have come along.

Opening the door to the study, the Ambassador stood and bowed humbly to the monarch and her sister. "Highnesses, may I introduce Kei Shojitsu, of the Greater Korean Federation. Chairperson of the Economic Planning Board. He has a few things to discuss in regards to Ehestadt."

Maria nodded and gestured her hand to the Korean. "Please, what are you concerns?"

Kei stood up and bowed deeply in the old European fashion, and as he straightened up, there was this curious expression of amusement.

"With the establishment of Ehestadt, there has been a dramatic increase of trade between Korea and Austria, and I believe it is in the interests of both nations for that link to be strengthed economically. I would propose that Ehestadt be expanded a bit, to allow it to be a self-sufficient and autonomous economic entity. It should be the start of a great relationship

Therefore, for this occasion....."

A dramatic response.

"What would Austria say to a long term gift of 48 billion Thalers?"

Maria smiled and bowed in return, "Well my sister, Theresia, has many big plans for the city in the future and such a gift would be welcomed in aiding construction of the city itself. As to what actually would happen with the money of course is up to the architects," she chuckled, "I'm not one to immerse myself in the blueprints of city construction, but I'm sure it will begin a blossoming friendship between our cultures. When I let her know that Korea has donated such a substantial sum, she will be most thrilled. Though I hope my presence wasn't required simply for that, such a transfer could have been easily done through our diplomatic offices. Not that I mind Excellency, but I feel bad if you had to come all the way to Beijing simply to tell me that. Thank goodness you didn't travel all the way to Vienna."

Both she and Angelika took seats in the room and relaxed. "I of course will let both the Imperator and my sister know as soon as I can, about the gift, I'm sure they both will want to speak with you as well and of course, Austria is very thankful. But was there anything else on your mind?"

"It would actually take a bit of time for that sum to actually flow into Austria. Korea is a bit occupied with its obiligations in Japan, but I can ensure, that once enough assets are liquidated, Austria, and not just Ehestadt, will be come great. There is another topic which needs to be discussed, but only [i]between ourselves[/i], your Highnesses. Could the Ambassador please leave us for now?"

Once everything was done, the Chairperson began speaking in Austrian.

"I would believe your Highnesses would know the phase [i]Alles Erdreich ist Österreich untertan[/i]. I would like to be of assistance should that goal be pursued."

The Ambassador looked at Maria first before lifting himself up from his chair and it was only after her nod that he he bowed humbly and left the room. Afterward, Maria turned back to Kei, leaned back and crossed her legs. "It is curious that you would mention such a phrase, Excellency, forgive me for being curious. But why would a country such as Korea offer to help Austria work on a destiny in which our global influence extends across the world? Korea has the capabilities to secure its own influence in Asia or wherever it sees fit, especially given its alliance with the United Federation. Not only that, but this is really our first meeting, I can't help but think there is some kind of ulterior motive for such a gracious show of friendship." The Empress smiled, "I do appreciate the offer Kei, if I may call you as such, but I'd rather know your reasoning behind it. It strikes me a bit odd, that's all."

Angelika brushed a loose strand of hair from her eyes and folded her hands. "Most countries do things to gain something. Surely Korea seeks to gain something out of this? Perhaps while helping Austria, but little is done just for the sake of helping another."

"The gains of Austria on the continent directly connects to the spread of Korean influence in the Northern Pacific. Once, a certain upstart American Empire forced off us islands which were ours, and to be able to reclaim it would be enough for our part. And before I forget something: There is a bit of prime estate directly north of Ehestadt, of which the legal status is ambiguous. I would like to say that the Khanka Region would be best added to Ehestadt, thereby ensuring its more diverse economy."

A brilliant white grin was made, showing two sharp fangs.

"As young as I appear to be, I have been around for some time, and it is worth wait things out, don't you think?"

"Indeed, Kei, we're always ones for patient moving. When and if operations would start in North America to expand the Commonwealth's influence, I will be sure to pass along the message to you and your government." Said Maria while Angelika eyed the man's teeth curiously. "As to expanding Ehestadt, that unfortunately is a decision I, personally, cannot make on my own. But I will let both my sister and the Imperator know and I'm sure they'll be thrilled to learn about the real estate you and your people are offering to them. We have a lot of time, no need to rush things, as you said."

• 3 weeks later...

Kei's cell phone rang, forcing the meeting to be cut short. As the Chairperson stood up to leave, he said just a simple sentence: "I'll make sure the land's empty for the recolonization." The words came true. A massive exodus of millions of the Korean citizens started moving west into Zargathia, while not taking Zargathian citizenship. THis left only a few thousand people, paving the way for a simple expansion of Ehestadt.

It seemed that things would go as planned, were it not for the chaos that erupted in Austria......