The race to the bottom

HHAYD

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1306533993' post='2719162']
Within two hours, the entire loyalist force surrendered. The few remainders that refused to raise the white flag were annihilated.

Some of the loyalist commanders broke down in less than a minute, spilling out almost everything they knew. The location of their temporary HQ (Lansing, Michigan), Michigan was completely loyalist dominated, they had captured the Department of Defense and used it against the rebels for more than a month, the second field army that is currently making its way through Chicago and was suppose to meet up with the first field army (the one that surrendered en-mass), the size of the secondary field army and what it had (about 48 AH-64 Apache helicopters, 50 various types of tanks varying from M60A3s, M1A1s, M1A3s and T-90s), 20,000 infantry, 500 M113 APCs and a little over hundred various artillery guns), Ohio is dominated by rebels and that the third field army responsible for capturing Ohio is taking serious heat.

A few loyalist commanders even stated that they were willing to spill information, for a price.

----------------------------
In Chicago, radio channel:

[i]"Uh, can we get any guys on the Department of Defense?"

"I doubt it. Everyone either went silent or are tied up. What's the problem?"

"The loyalists are trying to impersonate us. I'm pretty sure they duped a lot of our commanders across the country by now."

"How do you know?"

"That's not your concern. At least get some !@#$@#$ radio jammers on it and cut the cables. And for the love of god, don't raze it to the ground unless if necessary, we're going to need it real badly."

"Has anyone dealt with the loyalist aircraft?"

"Took it down with a rifle nade."

"N00b-tuber..."

"!@#$@#$ Call of Duty fans and your addiction to it."

"Keep the comms clear, mkay?"

"!@#$! The loyalists had stepped up their attacks in the southern part of Chicago! They even brought in four dozens of choppers! We need assistance now!"

"24 of our guys are heading down. Tell me where they're needed."

"Anywhere. It'll be hard to find a position that [b]doesn't[/b] need assistance..."[/i]

-------------------
In Chicago:

The most noticeable hotspots were mostly clustered in the downtown area, Grant Park, the Supreme Court, Legislative building, the harbor, around Grand Central Station, and just outside of O'Hare International Airport. Meanwhile in the southern part of Chicago, large groups of vehicles and soldiers were moving north from Gary. It would be hard to not notice them, especially with the helicopters flying around with their weapons blazing and when the intensified fighting (more explosions, gunfire, smoke, fire, radio chatter, troop/vehicle movement, etc) begin to spread north.

The second field army was responsible for hauling the artillery guns needed by the first field army and assist some of the first field army's divisions in crushing the rebels in Chicago before it links up with the rest of the first field army.

When it received news that the first field army was defeated, it now had a new goal. Crush the rebels in Chicago before the enemies arrive, take positions in the cities surrounding Chicago and dig in.

Although the second field army was severely damaged from its numerous fighting in Detroit, other cities in Michigan, and South Bend (Indiana), and has yet to be reorganized to account for the much smaller amount of soldiers and vehicles it had, it was still battle-capable.

---------------------
OOC: Lynneth, you're going to need a lot more than 500 men to patrol about 90,000 POWs.
[/quote]
OOC: I know. I didn't know that the entire goddamned army's gonna surrender. lol

IC:
With these massive amounts of loyalists surrendering, Vanguard quickly attempted to enlist the aid of local rebel forces to properly patrol and maintain the PoW camp. At least 4,000 men were deemed necessary to keep things civil.
Vanguard had only around 15,000 active operatives in the region (not counting the ones in tanks and other vehicles, or those keeping supply lines running), so rebel assistance was simply required.

With the news that the DoD was loyalist-controlled, action was taken immediately. The two satellites were cut off the DoD, and Vanguard broadcast a message over the network that they, and all rebels who were using the system had been deceived by loyalists pretending to be rebel operators.
The satellites would continue to be used, but with a central command missing, Vanguard offered to do this for the rebels.

For the time being, 2,000 operatives and 50 vehicles were scheduled to take over patrolling duties. More could be used if no rebels wanted to help, but this would result in less forces being available for the attack on Chicago, which was being prepared already.
Coordinating with the rebels, Vanguard would try to take Milwaukee and the surrounding cities back first, but send several crack commando teams to Chicago to try and help the rebels. A total of 500 men would use amphibious vehicles to land in Chicago's harbours and go from there.

Of course, with intel of the second field army trying to reach Chicago, air missions were stepped up to prevent this.
In addition, the two planes who had beed listening in were on the way to southern Chicago by now. Taking down a few choppers would surely be child's play.

Edited by Lynneth

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Lynneth' timestamp='1306556587' post='2719349']
OOC: I know. I didn't know that the entire goddamned army's gonna surrender. lol

IC:
With these massive amounts of loyalists surrendering, Vanguard quickly attempted to enlist the aid of local rebel forces to properly patrol and maintain the PoW camp. At least 4,000 men were deemed necessary to keep things civil.
Vanguard had only around 15,000 active operatives in the region (not counting the ones in tanks and other vehicles, or those keeping supply lines running), so rebel assistance was simply required.

With the news that the DoD was loyalist-controlled, action was taken immediately. The two satellites were cut off the DoD, and Vanguard broadcast a message over the network that they, and all rebels who were using the system had been deceived by loyalists pretending to be rebel operators.
The satellites would continue to be used, but with a central command missing, Vanguard offered to do this for the rebels.

For the time being, 2,000 operatives and 50 vehicles were scheduled to take over patrolling duties. More could be used if no rebels wanted to help, but this would result in less forces being available for the attack on Chicago, which was being prepared already.
Coordinating with the rebels, Vanguard would try to take Milwaukee and the surrounding cities back first, but send several crack commando teams to Chicago to try and help the rebels. A total of 500 men would use amphibious vehicles to land in Chicago's harbours and go from there.

Of course, with intel of the second field army trying to reach Chicago, air missions were stepped up to prevent this.
In addition, the two planes who had beed listening in were on the way to southern Chicago by now. Taking down a few choppers would surely be child's play.
[/quote]
The local rebels were more than happy to take up guard duties.

-------------
In Chicago:

The first few helicopters burst into fireballs. Confusion and surprise among the helicopter pilots.

Then another group of them burst into flames, a dozen of them destroyed in total. Then every hpilot realized that their enemy had air superiority. They didn't.

A squadron of F-15Cs (22) was rolled out from their hangers onto the Gary/Chicago International Airport's tarmac before being pulled to the runways for take-off. The loyalist and Mercenaries commanders hoped that a squadron, and their only squadron of F-15Cs would be sufficient to knock out any enemy aircraft without too much casualties.

How wrong they would be.

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1306617101' post='2719670']
The local rebels were more than happy to take up guard duties.

-------------
In Chicago:

The first few helicopters burst into fireballs. Confusion and surprise among the helicopter pilots.

Then another group of them burst into flames, a dozen of them destroyed in total. Then every hpilot realized that their enemy had air superiority. They didn't.

A squadron of F-15Cs (22) was rolled out from their hangers onto the Gary/Chicago International Airport's tarmac before being pulled to the runways for take-off. The loyalist and Mercenaries commanders hoped that a squadron, and their only squadron of F-15Cs would be sufficient to knock out any enemy aircraft without too much casualties.

How wrong they would be.
[/quote]
And thus the PoWs could be handled rather easily. Vanguard could concentrate on taking everything between their current positions and Chicago back.
Preparations were begun, and two days later, Vanguard's forces were on the move.

"Bogeys incoming."
"Roger, tagged them. Too many?"
"A dozen at least. Have two birds left. You?"
"One. Those choppers were juicy targets."
"Well, damn. Reinforcements and back home?"
"I hear you."

Two minutes later, a call for aerial reinforcements arrived in Vanguard's airforce HQ, and in response, a full squadron of AC-77a planes was scrambled to take off towards Chicago. They'd arrive within the next hour or so, flying at cruise speed.
However, the squadron would keep its distance from Chicago for the time being - one had recently been equipped with sophisticated measuring and scanning equipment, sacrificing some stealth for the latest in radar, ladar and other such technologies. It would be tasked with picking up the loyalist F-15Cs, give targets to the three flights assigned to it and help them annihilate any hostile attempt to challenge Vanguard's air-superiority.

If there were measurements for degrees of wrongness, the loyalists were not merely wrong.
Their wrongness was [url="http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/IdaReggaeMon/Fractal_wrongness.jpg"]fractal[/url]. They were wrong at every [url="http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/IdaReggaeMon/Fractal_wrongness.jpg"]conceivable[/url] scale of resolution.
And they would find out about that quite soon. A hint would be given when the recon-equipped AC-77a highlighted them for the others, to guide their missiles to the respective intended targets.

After an AC-77 entered the airspace around or over Chicago:

[i]"Where are the !@#$@#$ enemy aircraft? They were just flying around here picking off our choppers."

"We got a hummingbird, mosquito or a cloud, flying at about mach 2. [b]TOTALLY[/b] not suspicious."

"Can you get a lock on it?"

"Done. Missiles away."[/i]

Two AIM-7F Sparrow missiles would fly toward Vanguard's AC-77. It was highly unlikely that they would lock on.

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1306621174' post='2719697']
[i]"Where are the !@#$@#$ enemy aircraft? They were just flying around here picking off our choppers."

"We got a hummingbird, mosquito or a cloud, flying at about mach 2. [b]TOTALLY[/b] not suspicious."

"Can you get a lock on it?"

"Done. Missiles away."[/i]

Two AIM-7F Sparrow missiles would fly toward Vanguard's AC-77. It was highly unlikely that they would lock on.
[/quote]
Regardless of whether the missiles would be capable of locking on; The pilot quickly went to prepare all-out evasive maneuvers, including but not limited to chaff, liberal use of thrust vectoring and barely withstanding the powerful g-forces during those maneuvers.
Still, the plane's computer managed to keep the hostiles highlighted.

11 planes opened their missile bays. Each fired four, two per enemy plane. Their distance from the enemy was well over 40 kilometers, while the single recon plane was much close, merely ten or so kilometers away.
Aside from evading the missiles, it now was a waiting game to see whether the F-15C would detect the incoming attack, and whether they could evade. Difficult, but certainly possible.

[quote name='Lynneth' timestamp='1306621475' post='2719700']
Regardless of whether the missiles would be capable of locking on; The pilot quickly went to prepare all-out evasive maneuvers, including but not limited to chaff, liberal use of thrust vectoring and barely withstanding the powerful g-forces during those maneuvers.
Still, the plane's computer managed to keep the hostiles highlighted.

11 planes opened their missile bays. Each fired four, two per enemy plane. Their distance from the enemy was well over 40 kilometers, while the single recon plane was much close, merely ten or so kilometers away.
Aside from evading the missiles, it now was a waiting game to see whether the F-15C would detect the incoming attack, and whether they could evade. Difficult, but certainly possible.
[/quote]
The two F-15C's missiles failed to lock on and completely missed.

[i]"!@#$! MISSILES INBOUND!"[/i]

Six F-15Cs burst into fireballs before their pilots could react. The remaining 16 F-15Cs deployed chaff and flares, however, four were shot down or destroyed despite their attempts and another four were heavily damaged, forcing them to fly back to the airport for repairs. That left eight F-15Cs still intact, their frighten pilots futilely trying to spot the hostile aircraft.

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1306621831' post='2719702']
The two F-15C's missiles failed to lock on and completely missed.

[i]"!@#$! MISSILES INBOUND!"[/i]

Six F-15Cs burst into fireballs before their pilots could react. The remaining 20 F-15Cs deployed chaff and flares, however, four were shot down or destroyed despite their attempts and another four were heavily damaged, forcing them to fly back to the airport for repairs. That left four F-15Cs still intact, their frighten pilots futilely trying to spot the hostile aircraft.
[/quote]
The assault entered its second phase, which was basically the same as the first phase.
Two missiles per enemy plane that had been highlighted. The only difference was that this time, there were less F-15s.

With Vanguard's planes still so far out, basically circling around the same spot in order to keep their distance, spotting them was next to impossible, even with very good eyes. The curvature of the earth contributed in heightening the difficulty, of course, but even then they would be too small for the naked eye to see.
Radar and similar equipment was needed to even try detecting the planes.

OOC: I think you miscounted?
22 were there originally. 6 were annihilated immediately, leaving 16. 4 were shot, leaving 12. 4 were damaged, leaving 8.

[quote name='Lynneth' timestamp='1306622530' post='2719708']
The assault entered its second phase, which was basically the same as the first phase.
Two missiles per enemy plane that had been highlighted. The only difference was that this time, there were less F-15s.

With Vanguard's planes still so far out, basically circling around the same spot in order to keep their distance, spotting them was next to impossible, even with very good eyes. The curvature of the earth contributed in heightening the difficulty, of course, but even then they would be too small for the naked eye to see.
Radar and similar equipment was needed to even try detecting the planes.

OOC: I think you miscounted?
22 were there originally. 6 were annihilated immediately, leaving 16. 4 were shot, leaving 12. 4 were damaged, leaving 8.
[/quote]
OOC: Oops.

--------------
IC:

Six F-16Cs were destroyed before the pilots noticed what hit them, one was heavily damaged and eventually crash landed onto an apartment, and the last one was still intact, somehow.

No surprise the pilot of the last aircraft standing, err, flying, freaked out and ejected over Lake Michigan.

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1306622861' post='2719713']
OOC: Oops.

--------------
IC:

Six F-16Cs were destroyed before the pilots noticed what hit them, one was heavily damaged and eventually crash landed onto an apartment, and the last one was still intact, somehow.

No surprise the pilot of the last aircraft standing, err, flying, freaked out and ejected over Lake Michigan.
[/quote]
[b][Intersquadron-chatter][/b]

"Well, that was a whole lot easier than I'd thought."
"You weren't the one missiles were aimed at."
"Hey, they missed."
"Barely, idiot. Anyways, with those snails gone, command can begin scheduling CAS missions."
"Yeah. That'll teach the loyalists. Don't $%&@ with Vanguard."
"And to think, they could've technically had our aid."
"Theoretically."
"Possibly."
"Anyways! I notified the HQ. We're to patrol the area for a while, kill all remaining choppers and anything else the loyalists have in the air, then return home. Flight 5-NC will then take over patrol duties for the time being."
"Good to hear. More sitting around and video games for us."
"And you wonder why we're called the chair force..."
"At least we're working to honour the name."
"I don't know whether that's good or bad..."

With this, an attack on the loyalist helicopters was launched. It wouldn't last long, but possibly inflict heavy casualties to anything in the air.
Afterwards, the skies would remain relatively silent for a time, until two patrol craft arrived. Their orders were, quite simply, to sit there and scare the loyalists.

Meanwhile, Vanguard's forces advanced on the ground. They would soon reach Milwaukee and begin the battle for it, while the operatives inserted via Chicago's harbour began linking up with rebels and incorporate them - by proxy - into Vanguard's battle network.

Another two dozens of helicopters were destroyed. The last dozen fled in fear.

--------------
In Wisconsin:

Vanguard would encounter light resistance throughout the state. There was just enough loyalist and Mercenaries soldiers to keep a strained peace, but not hold off Vanguard and a second rebel uprising at the same time.

Almost all of the loyalist and Mercenaries forces retreated south into Rockford or Kenosha. The few die-hard units dug in, but they would be easily dislodged and crushed by Vanguard's technological and rebels' numbers advantages.

---------------
In Chicago:

The rebels were hesitant, some units were suspicious, others welcomed Vanguard's operatives. Nevertheless, the loyalist and Mercenaries forces fighting in and around Chicago's harbor found themselves taking more heat and eventually slowly being forced to retreat deeper into Chicago.

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1306626715' post='2719734']
Another two dozens of helicopters were destroyed. The last dozen fled in fear.

--------------
In Wisconsin:

Vanguard would encounter light resistance throughout the state. There was just enough loyalist and Mercenaries soldiers to keep a strained peace, but not hold off Vanguard and a second rebel uprising at the same time.

Almost all of the loyalist and Mercenaries forces retreated south into Rockford or Kenosha. The few die-hard units dug in, but they would be easily dislodged and crushed by Vanguard's technological and rebels' numbers advantages.

---------------
In Chicago:

The rebels were hesitant, some units were suspicious, others welcomed Vanguard's operatives. Nevertheless, the loyalist and Mercenaries forces fighting in and around Chicago's harbor found themselves taking more heat and eventually slowly being forced to retreat deeper into Chicago.
[/quote]
With so little resistance in Wisconsin, Vanguard's advance was swift. Of course, this couldn't possibly have been sustained were it not for the rebels, who ensured that the regions Vanguard passed through and liberated from the loyalists were governed somewhat decently until the civil war was over.
Vanguard continued to concentrate its forces towards Chicago and by proxy Kenosha, though a good 1,500 were redirected towards Rockford to prevent a flanking attack.

in Chciago, the operatives simply continued doing their work, attempting to disrupt loyalist supply lines, initiate suprise attacks from unprotected directions, et cetera. While they didn't have the luxury of directed energy weaponry, they had the drive to bring the fight to the loyalists and make them pay for every injured civilian and all their wrongs.

Edited by Lynneth

[quote name='Lynneth' timestamp='1306627324' post='2719738']
With so little resistance in Wisconsin, Vanguard's advance was swift. Of course, this couldn't possibly have been sustained were it not for the rebels, who ensured that the regions Vanguard passed through and liberated from the loyalists were governed somewhat decently until the civil war was over.
Vanguard continued to concentrate its forces towards Chicago and by proxy Kenosha, though a good 1,500 were redirected towards Rockford to prevent a flanking attack.

in Chciago, the operatives simply continued doing their work, attempting to disrupt loyalist supply lines, initiate suprise attacks from unprotected directions, et cetera. While they didn't have the luxury of directed energy weaponry, they had the drive to bring the fight to the loyalists and make them pay for every injured civilian and all their wrongs.
[/quote]
About 14,000 rebel soldiers and militants tagged along with Vanguard.

---------------------------------------
In Indiana and Michigan:

The rebels in Fort Wayne defeated the loyalists, however, they didn't stop there. They became bold and moved to take on South Bend, Kalamazoo, Ann Arbor, and to President George's horror, Lansing. The rebels in Lafayette also became bold and invaded Gary. Both rebel forces broadcasted their activities through Vanguard's satellites.

The loyalist and Mercenaries forces was now split in three, one in northeastern Illinois, one in central and northern Michigan and the last one still trading blows with the stubborn Ohioan rebels in northern Ohio.

[img]http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1581/mapuz.png[/img]

Edited by HHAYD

In Lansing:

The city was surprisingly lightly defended, probably because President George deployed almost all of the defending forces in Michigan to deal with Vanguard and the rebels in Wisconsin (with obviously horrific results) and he never expected a frontal attack on the city so quickly.

It was about 600 MRA loyalist and 38 Mercenaries soldiers backed up by three AH-64 Apaches, six M60A3s and two 120 artillery guns.

Versus...

About 1,600 MRA rebel soldiers and 3,100 militia rebels, backed up by a F-15C, four M60A3s, two T-90s, ten 81mm mortars and three 155 artillery guns. Including about 10,000 additional civilian rebels that also took up arms against the loyalists and Mercenaries forces.

Within less than an hour of fighting, all of the loyalist helicopters, artillery guns and tanks were destroyed and the infantry took over 400 casualties. The rebels lost only two M60A3s, one 155mm artillery gun, one 81 mortar and about 50 casualties. Morale among the loyalist MRA soldiers shattered and all of them surrendered or attempted to flee, leaving about 15 Mercenaries soldiers without anti-armor or air capability to hold off the uprising and rebel's assault.

Unsurprisingly, Lansing fell to the rebels' hands within 10 minutes later after the mass loyalist routing/surrendering. As the rebels split up and pressed onto Grand Rapids, Flint and Livonia, President George and most of his staff fled north to Cheboygan.

---------------------
Meanwhile, in Chicago:

About several dozens of rebel soldiers, freed from the fighting as the loyalist and Mercenaries soldiers dwindled, stormed the Department of Defense. The handful of loyalist soldiers and operators stationed in the building were caught off guard. Many were shot, the rest were captured as POW. Vanguard would receive a notice that they had retaken the building.

Edited by HHAYD

Grand Rapids, Flint and Livonia fell with minimal resistance, most of the thinly spread loyalist and Mercenaries forces scattered. As always, there were some die-hard units, but as always, they never last long against the rebels' overwhelming numerical advantage.

Within an hour or two, the loyalist/Mercenaries held Muskegon, Holland, Sterling Heights and Saginaw would be severely challenged.

With the DoD retaken, around 50 of Vanguard's operatives in the city were ordered to support the rebels in holding the building.
In addition, it was added to the network again, after confirmation from the operatives.

In the meantime, airplanes continued to fly air-superiority missions over Chicago and the general region, at least two AC-77A in the air at all times.
On the ground, Vanguard's advance, supported by the rebels, continued. They split into two general battlegroups once Kenosha and Rockford were taken, with around 6,000 operatives and half the available ground vehicles in each group. They would move onto Waukegan and Elgin, assaulting Aurora and Palatine from there once the cities were taken.
the northern group at Palatine would then begin to assault Chicago proper, while the other forces were to move to Joliet and attack from there, thus opening two fronts. It was believed that the loyalists couldn't possibly hold the city against such a coordinated assault.
Whether this was true remained to be seen; though each of the battlegroups had 50 operatives with DE-weaponry (commonly still called 'lasers') active, who could act to annihilate enemy morale.

Edited by Lynneth

Kenosha and Rockford fell as the loyalists and Mercenaries retreated back to Waukegan, Palatine, Elgin and Auroa, or were routed and attempted to flee from the battlefield.

An hour later, another 20,000 rebels, mostly the militia, arrived from central Illinois and stormed into Joliet and Auroa. The assault pounded the loyalists and Mercenaries hard and forced them into Elgin or Chicago (or surrender) as they were simply unable to take on the sheer number of rebels.

-------------
In Chicago:

Three M60A3s with no infantry support open fired at the DoD. Elsewhere throughout the city, the loyalists and Mercenaries setup all of their operational artillery guns to bring serious pain to the rebels and Vanguard, regardless of collateral damages (*cough* such as knocking down the Wills Tower to flush out a dozen of rebels *cough*).

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1306799429' post='2720891']
Kenosha and Rockford fell as the loyalists and Mercenaries retreated back to Waukegan, Palatine, Elgin and Auroa, or were routed and attempted to flee from the battlefield.

An hour later, another 20,000 rebels, mostly the militia, arrived from central Illinois and stormed into Joliet and Auroa. The assault pounded the loyalists and Mercenaries hard and forced them into Elgin or Chicago (or surrender) as they were simply unable to take on the sheer number of rebels.

-------------
In Chicago:

Three M60A3s with no infantry support open fired at the DoD. Elsewhere throughout the city, the loyalists and Mercenaries setup all of their operational artillery guns to bring serious pain to the rebels and Vanguard, regardless of collateral damages (*cough* such as knocking down the Wills Tower to flush out a dozen of rebels *cough*).
[/quote]
As the loyalists began to retreat, Vanguard followed. No rest for the wicked, no sleep for the enemy.
With each additional successful battle, the net tightened. Soon enough, the only loyalists would be in central Michigan.

In Chicago, the attacks from the M60 tanks were unexpected, but nothing that could not be dealt with. Informing the HQ was all that was needed; 80 minutes later a dozen SF-H5 Raja gunships - using standard stealth measures - appeared above the city, their mere existence taunting the loyalists and their mercenaries.
Five AGM-114 hellfire missiles came streaking towards the M60 tanks, their paths marked by gray exhaust. Laser-guided, they could barely miss their targets.
And all other armoured vehicles would feel their wrath soon enough. With Chicago being the prize, Vanguard's HQ had decided to bring out everything they had available nearby to take the city.

The three M60A3s targeting the DoD were smoldering from Vanguard's airstrike.

Some of the loyalist and Mercenaries commanders decided to launch a bold plan, break out of the hell hole through Gary and South Bend and link up with what's left of the loyalist/Mercenaries forces camped in Michigan. 20 tanks consisting of M60A3s, M1A1s, M1A3s and T-90s with a little over 3,000 infantry and 60 M113 APCs would be deployed for the breakout. The rebels fighting in Gary and southeastern Chicago immediately notified Vanguard that they needed air support.

Elsewhere in Chicago, the loyalist/Mercenaries artillery guns came under attack. For artillery guns to be effective, they had to be protected from enemy attacks. This was not the case as rebel infantry could and did easily sneak up to the artillery guns due to insufficient amount of loyalist/Mercenaries infantry and vehicles to hold them at bay.

Some rebel units simply mowed down the crews, others fired rifle grenades into the nearby artillery shell stockpiles before diving for cover (not much of the artillery guns and their crews would be left). Within two to three hours, many of the loyalist/Mercenaries artillery guns would've been crewless or smoldering. The two to three dozens of artillery guns that are still operational were protected by almost-sufficient amount of loyalist/Mercenaries forces. Though it would be tempting and easy to knock them out with air support, especially since many of they were tightly packed together with explosive ammunition lying on the ground only a meter or two away from the artillery crews.

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1306803156' post='2720916']
The three M60A3s targeting the DoD were smoldering from Vanguard's airstrike.

Some of the loyalist and Mercenaries commanders decided to launch a bold plan, break out of the hell hole through Gary and South Bend and link up with what's left of the loyalist/Mercenaries forces camped in Michigan. 20 tanks consisting of M60A3s, M1A1s, M1A3s and T-90s with a little over 3,000 infantry and 60 M113 APCs would be deployed for the breakout. The rebels fighting in Gary and southeastern Chicago immediately notified Vanguard that they needed air support.

Elsewhere in Chicago, the loyalist/Mercenaries artillery guns came under attack. For artillery guns to be effective, they had to be protected from enemy attacks. This was not the case as rebel infantry could and did easily sneak up to the artillery guns due to insufficient amount of loyalist/Mercenaries infantry and vehicles to hold them at bay.

Some rebel units simply mowed down the crews, others fired rifle grenades into the nearby artillery shell stockpiles before diving for cover (not much of the artillery guns and their crews would be left). Within two to three hours, many of the loyalist/Mercenaries artillery guns would've been crewless or smoldering. The two to three dozens of artillery guns that are still operational were protected by almost-sufficient amount of loyalist/Mercenaries forces. Though it would be tempting and easy to knock them out with air support, especially since many of they were tightly packed together with explosive ammunition lying on the ground only a meter or two away from the artillery crews.
[/quote]
Eight of the helicopters were redirected towards the attempted outbreak. Their focus would be to destroy the tanks and APCs, though the 30mm GIAT chin gun would of course be useful in pinning down enemy infantry and aid the rebels, despite the largely anti-tank equipment the helicopters were carrying on the inner hardpoints.
The outer hardpoints were an entirely different matter. There, each helicopter had a pod of 12 68mm rockets. Unguided, but high explosive and useful against infantry clusters.
Thus, air support was available.

The other 4 helicopters continued to fly above Chicago, looking for the last remaining loyalist artillery. It would take a while - the city was big - but the guns would be found, and attacked. Missiles and rockets would streak through the air, faster than sound and giving the loyalists little warning - aside from the ensuing explosions and smoke trails.

Still, Vanguard's forces continued moving. Some had reached Chicago already, moving through the streets.

[quote name='Lynneth' timestamp='1306805323' post='2720941']
Eight of the helicopters were redirected towards the attempted outbreak. Their focus would be to destroy the tanks and APCs, though the 30mm GIAT chin gun would of course be useful in pinning down enemy infantry and aid the rebels, despite the largely anti-tank equipment the helicopters were carrying on the inner hardpoints.
The outer hardpoints were an entirely different matter. There, each helicopter had a pod of 12 68mm rockets. Unguided, but high explosive and useful against infantry clusters.
Thus, air support was available.

The other 4 helicopters continued to fly above Chicago, looking for the last remaining loyalist artillery. It would take a while - the city was big - but the guns would be found, and attacked. Missiles and rockets would streak through the air, faster than sound and giving the loyalists little warning - aside from the ensuing explosions and smoke trails.

Still, Vanguard's forces continued moving. Some had reached Chicago already, moving through the streets.
[/quote]
The APCs' 30mm cannons and the tanks' machine guns attempted to respond back to Vanguard's helicopters.

As for the artillery guns, all it took was a few well placed rockets/missiles to set off lethal explosive chain reactions. Within seconds of detection, no targeted artillery guns or crews were operational as not much of them were left.

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1306806034' post='2720951']
The APCs' 30mm cannons and the tanks' machine guns attempted to respond back to Vanguard's helicopters.

As for the artillery guns, all it took was a few well placed rockets/missiles to set off lethal explosive chain reactions. Within seconds of detection, no targeted artillery guns or crews were operational as not much of them were left.
[/quote]
When the first rounds began flying around the helicopters, they rose further into the sky, above the angle the APCs and tanks could raise their guns. This would prevent 30mm shells from damaging the helicopters too badly, even if it did make them more visible.
Initial damage wasn't big, according to the helicopter's systems. However, two would have to be taken out of service for a week at least for repairs once they returned to base to refuel and rearm, the small wings on which their weapons were attached being damaged just a bit too heavily for combat.

But that wouldn't happen until in a few hours. Currently, the hail of fire and explosions continued to rain upon the loyalists, and it would do so until the helicopters had run out of ammunition.

[quote name='Lynneth' timestamp='1306935767' post='2721991']
When the first rounds began flying around the helicopters, they rose further into the sky, above the angle the APCs and tanks could raise their guns. This would prevent 30mm shells from damaging the helicopters too badly, even if it did make them more visible.
Initial damage wasn't big, according to the helicopter's systems. However, two would have to be taken out of service for a week at least for repairs once they returned to base to refuel and rearm, the small wings on which their weapons were attached being damaged just a bit too heavily for combat.

But that wouldn't happen until in a few hours. Currently, the hail of fire and explosions continued to rain upon the loyalists, and it would do so until the helicopters had run out of ammunition.
[/quote]
The vehicles and infantry attempted to spread out in order to be able to engage the helicopters. Unknowingly, this was exactly what the rebels wanted as they had anti-vehicle weapons, just no armor support to stop the masses of vehicles and infantry from wiping out their AT squads. After the loyalists and Mercenaries spread out, that allowed the rebels concentrate fire on a few vehicles and take down the loyalist/Mercenaries breakout force one by one.

Damn if they stay together, damn if they don't.

Meanwhile, the loyalist and Mercenaries forces in Palatine, Elgin and Auroa retreated back to Chicago or surrendered after a reinforcement of 30,000 additional rebels (soldiers and armed civilians) crushed their positions.

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1306956037' post='2722103']
The vehicles and infantry attempted to spread out in order to be able to engage the helicopters. Unknowingly, this was exactly what the rebels wanted as they had anti-vehicle weapons, just no armor support to stop the masses of vehicles and infantry from wiping out their AT squads. After the loyalists and Mercenaries spread out, that allowed the rebels concentrate fire on a few vehicles and take down the loyalist/Mercenaries breakout force one by one.

Damn if they stay together, damn if they don't.

Meanwhile, the loyalist and Mercenaries forces in Palatine, Elgin and Auroa retreated back to Chicago or surrendered after a reinforcement of 30,000 additional rebels (soldiers and armed civilians) crushed their positions.
[/quote]
While the bulk of Vanguard's forces began to spread out in Chicago, hunting down any loyalists, the remaining helicopters continued to assault the fleeing enemies, always taking care to fly high enough to avoid enemy fire.
From now on, most of the work was mopping up stragglers and a few badly organised groups of enemies. The bulk of the forces had been destroyed or captured. One could call it a successful operation.

Edited by Lynneth

The breakout force was broken, almost all of its forces surrendered. Within three to four hours, almost every loyalist and Mercenaries forces surrendered except for the typical die-hards.

In Michigan, the rebels were making major advances, until the loyalists decided to pull out a squadron (24) of B-52s and F-16s to bomb the rebels' positions. Vanguard would receive numerous urgent requests for air support within minutes of the loyalists' bombing runs.

In Detroit, the loyalists and Mercenaries found themselves in the exact same position that the rebels were in only weeks ago. Surrounded, outnumbered, outgunned, and little to no hope of rescue.

[img]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/7172/map1xd.png[/img]

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1306973488' post='2722272']
The breakout force was broken, almost all of its forces surrendered. Within three to four hours, almost every loyalist and Mercenaries forces surrendered except for the typical die-hards.

In Michigan, the rebels were making major advances, until the loyalists decided to pull out a squadron (24) of B-52s and F-16s to bomb the rebels' positions. Vanguard would receive numerous urgent requests for air support within minutes of the loyalists' bombing runs.

In Detroit, the loyalists and Mercenaries found themselves in the exact same position that the rebels were in only weeks ago. Surrounded, outnumbered, outgunned, and little to no hope of rescue.

[img]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/7172/map1xd.png[/img]
[/quote]
for the rest of the campaign, it was decided that Vanguard would consolidate its forces near Chicago and solely use its airforce and air cavalry to aid the rebels.
This, however, in force. Minutes after the first request came in, a full squadron of fighters began to take off, another following half an hour later.
They would, quite simply, fly through Michigan to take any enemy bomber and fighter plane out. Air superiority missions as usual, with the small twist of killing enemy bombers.