The race to the bottom

HHAYD

OOC: Takes place after "When the chips are down, you start running": http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=96745&view=findpost&p=2653791

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IC:

Midwest Republic Supreme Court on April 15th, 2011; Christa vs Mercy Health System and Leaf Corporation:

"[i]The Supreme Court has ruled by five to four that gene patents and cell ownership do not violate the Midwest Republic Constitution. There's a difference between owning genes and cells and owning humans. A person's tissue or body part that has left such person's body is no longer his or her but belongs to whoever removed the tissue. Furthermore, Mrs. Hamas should have paid closer attention to her papers. Her previous lawyer, despite hiding information from her, is not at fault.

Federal Illinois Court's ruling has been overturned. Mrs. Hamas is to pay Mercy Health System one hundred million dollars and ten billion dollars to Leaf Corporation for punitive damages.

Case dismissed.[/i]" Chief Justice Jash Warren stated before banging the gravel.
--------------------------------------------------

Within hours of the Supreme Court's ruling, massive protests and riots erupted in every major cities.

[i]"Impeach Jash Warren!"
"Supreme Court's ruling and corruption from LC and MHS? Yes indeed!"
"Gene patents=You're a property of me!"
"Humans are made of cells, morons"
"God hates you Jash Warren"
"Patenting nature=BS"
"$10.1 billion in "punitive damages" Really?"
"Death to Mercy Health System and Leaf Corporation!"
"Mercy Health System? More like Misery Health System!"
"Justice has unjustly filled MHS and LC's bathtub with cash"
"Logic: Deemed unnecessary by the government"[/i]

And those were only a few of hundreds of thousands of protest signs.

Edited by HHAYD

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Chicago, the riot control police officers were very violent in how they dealt with the protestors and rioters, beating them excessively with batons, throwing tear gas grenades everywhere, firing taser shotgun and pistol rounds into the crowds at point-blank, and spamming the tasers. Screaming in pain, a couple of protestors were ignited on fire when they were shocked with the taser guns or rounds after being sprayed with flammable pepper spray.

Within a few hours later, the Chicago Police Department was overwhelmed and the Midwest Republic Army was deployed to deal with the raging riots. Lacking riot gears, the MRA set up sandbag walls and parked armored vehicles strategically to protect themselves from objects hurled by the rioters. It only took less than an hour since MRA's arrival for the MRA to use live ammunition throughout the city against the rioters when several rather-violent rioters had decided to setup and fire a minigun, two punt guns and a MG42 at the MRA and handful of riot control police officers as a response to the police brutality.

An M1A1 Abram tank parked next to the Trump International Hotel and Tower received several Molotov cocktails, dropped from opened windows located several floors above. The crew inside the tank, inexperienced and never trained to deal with rioters, fired canister shots and .50 caliber bullets at a nearby group of unusually peaceful protestors. It took another few Molotov cocktails to get the crew to stop firing at the scattering peaceful protestors. However, the tank's crew simply drove away from the building a few hundred meters and proceeded to fire .50 caliber bullets and high explosive fragmentation rounds into the building.

In Detroit, the police force didn't treat the protestors with brutality, they quietly arrested all of the rioters. When the jails became full even with eight people to a cell instead of the standard one to a cell, many rioters were sent to hastily built temporary jail cells or trucked out of Detroit to surrounding counties' and towns' jails.

Elsewhere, police brutality was also present, though a few cities/counties used Detroit's anti-riot strategy.
---------------------------
Private, in the President House:

"Goddamn it! I thought I told the !@#$@#$ military to not use !@#$@#$ live ammunition! AND WHO THE $%&@ ORDERED A TANK TO FIRE AT UNARMED PROTESTORS?!" President Natas roared as he threw the TV remote at the flat-screen TV, shattering the screen.

Edited by HHAYD

The rioters were nearing the Legislative, Supreme Court and President House. They were angry that the Legislative was slow to react to LC and MHS's recent BS activities, the Supreme Court for allowing the floodgate opened for abuse and the President House since they felt Natas has not pressured the Legislative enough.

President Natas calmly walked out of his residence building and stepped onto a hastily constructed podium. Meanwhile, the rioters that were on the verge of busting down the gates.

"[i]Go home, your recent activities have caused widespread destruction and deaths. Please think of what have you done. It is never okay to resort to violence and will only harm your position. I understand all of your anger and I also strongly despised the Supreme Court's ruling, but there's not much I can do about it as I only enforce laws, not make or interpret them. I will put pressure on the Legislative and delay carrying out the Supreme Court's ruling as much as possible but that's the extent of my powers.[/i]"

As President Natas begin to walk away after the rioters calmed down somewhat, a crack of a sniper rifle echoed through the air. Suddenly, one of Natas's legs went flying off, leaving only the upper thigh still attached to the body, and it didn't help the fact that the .50 caliber bullet also contained explosive powder, thermate and shrapnel, which instantly burned his thigh and separated leg at a temperature high enough to melt steel, not to mention the white-hot shrapnel went flying everywhere and shredded his other leg as well. The second shot shattered a nearby window and the third shot hit Natas in his right wrist, blowing his hand away and shredding/burning his abdomen and right arm. The fourth shot hit the Midwest Republic flag's pole that was perched on top of the President House, knocking the flag off the building and shredding/burning it. The fifth shot blew a young tree about 200 meters away in half. The sixth shot hit the double front doors and nearly blew a hole into one of them. The seventh shot slammed into the crowd, which instantly set off a stampede, resulting in more deaths and injuries from being trampled/crushed. Natas's bodyguards rushed in to attempt to put out the white-hot fire and move him somewhere safer as Natas screamed in pain.

Edited by HHAYD

While the rioters were attempting to storm the Supreme Court and Legislative building's ground, the Supreme Court announced a new ruling for a new case. Federal Trade Agency had brought charges against Midwest Republic Fuel and Energy Corporation regarding usage of anti-competitive tactics.

MRFEC had bought and hogged electrical infrastructures. FCA accused MRFEC of buying up electrical powerlines, transformers and etc, then buying or building power plants and then proceeding to shut down access to other electrical companies that have no other way of delivering electricity to their customers or hike up "transfer" usage to astronomical rates. MRFEC was not very subtle when it came to predatory pricing. They dropped the rate of cents per kilowatthour down to one cent to drive out competitors and then hike up the rates up to 70 cents per kilowatthour. MRFEC had a long trail of consumer complaints, up to about 40,000 with over 500% increase in total quarterly profits.

[i]"Monopoly has never been proven to be harmful to the economy and that the Midwest Republic government should have never interfered with businesses. In fact, the government's interference with businesses will only cause more harm than the good. Midwest Republic Fuel and Energy Corporation has full rights to their own equipments, they are not required to share it with other competitors. Their competitors should have set up their own equipments instead of being lazy about it."[/i]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the rioters heard word of the Supreme Court's ruling regarding monopoly, that only fueled the burning anger. The public did not like increasingly business-friendly government. Within thirty minutes later, the nine Supreme Court justices and their staff were evacuated via helicopters when the rioters broke through the police and military lines and banged on the building's locked doors and first floor windows.

Edited by HHAYD

The latest events in the Midwest Republic had not gone unnoticed in a certain Asian nation, which had one of its major companies set up operations there some time ago.
Xanathose Enterprises was reporting occasionally on the Republic, and capitalist as Sri Lanka was, monopolies usually were frowned upon, destroying all competition. But, while XE was sizable in the Midwest Republic - and almost impossible to remove now that it had entrenched itself - it was hard to expand.
Using XE's position, however, another Sri Lankan company decided to extend its feelers towards the North American country, and perhaps let one or two corporations there taste their own medicine.

Shortly after monopolies were effectively declared to be legal, yet-independent energy providers would get lucrative offers from an entity overseas, while construction companies would be hired to build new power plants - decidedly more advanced ones than they were used to, one order including even the basics for a fusion power plant. The actual core of it would be brought by the corporation that had contracted them, of course.
And if any bureaucracy attempted to block this company, generous amounts of money would find their way into the right people's pockets to remove the red tape and other obstructions, so things went smoother.
TriOptimum was looking for profit, and fun times wouldn't be had by anyone involved.

Edited by Lynneth

[quote name='Lynneth' timestamp='1303020908' post='2691843']
The latest events in the Midwest Republic had not gone unnoticed in a certain Asian nation, which had one of its major companies set up operations there some time ago.
Xanathose Enterprises was reporting occasionally on the Republic, and capitalist as Sri Lanka was, monopolies usually were frowned upon, destroying all competition. But, while XE was sizable in the Midwest Republic - and almost impossible to remove now that it had entrenched itself - it was hard to expand.
Using XE's position, however, another Sri Lankan company decided to extend its feelers towards the North American country, and perhaps let one or two corporations there taste their own medicine.

Shortly after monopolies were effectively declared to be legal, yet-independent energy providers would get lucrative offers from an entity overseas, while construction companies would be hired to build new power plants - decidedly more advanced ones than they were used to, one order including even the basics for a fusion power plant. The actual core of it would be brought by the corporation that had contracted them, of course.
And if any bureaucracy attempted to block this company, generous amounts of money would find their way into the right people's pockets to remove the red tape and other obstructions, so things went smoother.
TriOptimum was looking for profit, and fun times wouldn't be had by anyone involved.
[/quote]
MRFEC's HQ:

"We got reports of another Sir Lankan company attempting to barge in, this time is TriOptimum." an assistant told Harden Jake, the CEO of MRFEC.

"What are they up to?" Harden Jake asked

"Some of our friends and a handful of energy companies reported that TO is planning on building fusion power plants and buying up competitors."

"I want TO !@#$@#$ gone, pushed out of Midwest Republic. Do whatever it takes. Once they get a foothold of here, they'll never leave. We do not want to end up as Digital Pipeline, I read their profits had tanked due to their fierce competition with Xanathose Enterprises."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Legislative had became a puppet for many businesses and rich individuals. The government of the people, by the people, for the people, was now; government of the wealthy, by the wealthy, for the wealthy.

It didn't take long for a new bill to be proposed; a ban on fusion power and new foreign businesses from entering Midwest Republic. MRFEC would hire a large team of "experts", get their friends in the Legislative to put the "experts" on stand and have the experts explain the dangers of fusion power and foreign businesses and try to convince the Legislative to support the bill. TriOptimum would quickly get word of this as by the Constitution, no scheduled Legislative meetings may be private, so would the already raging public.

Before a team of legislators and experts could be assembled to craft the proposed bill, the rioters had smashed through the police and military line guarding the Legislative building. The intercoms throughout the building announced evacuation was underway and was set on self-repeating. Evacuation helicopters arrived within 10-20 minutes as rioters were on the verge of smashing down the doors and first floor windows.

Meanwhile, all of the independent energy companies would also get lucrative offers from the MRFEC.

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1303043096' post='2691914']
MRFEC's HQ:

"We got reports of another Sir Lankan company attempting to barge in, this time is TriOptimum." an assistant told Harden Jake, the CEO of MRFEC.

"What are they up to?" Harden Jake asked

"Some of our friends and a handful of energy companies reported that TO is planning on building fusion power plants and buying up competitors."

"I want TO !@#$@#$ gone, pushed out of Midwest Republic. Do whatever it takes. Once they get a foothold of here, they'll never leave. We do not want to end up as Digital Pipeline, I read their profits had tanked due to their fierce competition with Xanathose Enterprises."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Legislative had became a puppet for many businesses and rich individuals. The government of the people, by the people, for the people, was now; government of the wealthy, by the wealthy, for the wealthy.

It didn't take long for a new bill to be proposed; a ban on fusion power and new foreign businesses from entering Midwest Republic. MRFEC would hire a large team of "experts", get their friends in the Legislative to put the "experts" on stand and have the experts explain the dangers of fusion power and foreign businesses and try to convince the Legislative to support the bill. TriOptimum would quickly get word of this as by the Constitution, no scheduled Legislative meetings may be private, so would the already raging public.

Before a team of legislators and experts could be assembled to craft the proposed bill, the rioters had smashed through the police and military line guarding the Legislative building. The intercoms throughout the building announced evacuation was underway and was set on self-repeating. Evacuation helicopters arrived within 10-20 minutes as rioters were on the verge of smashing down the doors and first floor windows.

Meanwhile, all of the independent energy companies would also get lucrative offers from the MRFEC.
[/quote]

[b][In the TriOptimum headquarters][/b]

"Mr. Rakeem, Sir. The F.E.C. is attempting to stop us from setting foor into the Republic, using their influence within the legislative to get a bill passed that bans fusion power and foreign companies."
The CEO of TriOptimum nodded, looking outside the window of his office - which was located in one of Colombo's many large skyscrapers, near the top. "I'm aware. Xanatos is reporting about it. I asked David to start a media campaign supporting us and opposing the bill, bringing in experts from 'all over the world'. The population's raging already, but a little more can't hurt."
"Do you think this'll work, Sir?"
"No, but it's worth a shot. Seriously though, we can just buy some officials, there's bound to be some who we can use to stop the bill."
"I'll see what I can do about that."
"Thank you."

The aide left. Soon enough, a number of the Midwest Republic's legislative branch members would be contacted through varying means (such as letters, phone calls, et cetera), offering considerable amounts of money if they were to oppose the bill proposed by MRFEC's puppets.
Using Xanatos Enterprises' connections, TO would also attempt to completely buy out a small or medium energy provider that hadn't been gobbled up by MRFEC, using them as front to construct their power stations. After mere days of trying to establish a presence, TO had poured tens of millions into the operation. Money they could spare, providing around 54% of Sri Lanka's energy needs, with the other 46% spread over two dozen or so other providers.

And, of course, Xanatos would indulge his friend's wishes, beginning a massive campaign against the bill, showing the uses of not only fusion power, but other clean or renewable energy sources such as wind and solar power. "Fusion Power is Awesome" was the campaign's slogan, aiming to show people just how awesome fueling your TV with [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=90652&view=findpost&p=2670088"]giant lasers[/url] really was.

A handful of legislators responded back, stating that they were open for a deal. Most of them never responded as they were more busy getting the $%&@ out of the Legislative building before the rioters lynch them. Others had no interest in bribes.
-----------------------------------------
[quote]To: TriOptimum

Narch Electrical Company and Midwest Power Corporation have filed for bankruptcy yesterday and we are willing to sell both businesses. You will be required to pay off their debt if you wish to purchase them.[/quote]

We are open to a deal. Please state your offering.[/quote]
------------------------------------------
As soon as TriOptimum submitted their advertisements to various media businesses for broadcasting, MRFEC caught wind of it. They would submit their own advertisements for broadcasting, attempting to convince the public the dangers of TriOptimum. Such as purposely confusing fusion with fission power's dangers (well informed people would notice the confusion attempt, but much of the public isn't so well informed).

It would take about two days to two weeks, depending on the various media businesses' policies and the increasingly unstable situation in Midwest Republic.

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1303048441' post='2691934']
A handful of legislators responded back, stating that they were open for a deal. Most of them never responded as they were more busy getting the $%&@ out of the Legislative building before the rioters lynch them. Others had no interest in bribes.
-----------------------------------------

Narch Electrical Company and Midwest Power Corporation have filed for bankruptcy yesterday and we are willing to sell both businesses. You will be required to pay off their debt if you wish to purchase them.[/quote]

We are open to a deal. Please state your offering.[/quote]

------------------------------------------
As soon as TriOptimum submitted their advertisements to various media businesses for broadcasting, MRFEC caught wind of it. They would submit their own advertisements for broadcasting, attempting to convince the public the dangers of TriOptimum. Such as purposely confusing fusion with fission power's dangers (well informed people would notice the confusion attempt, but much of the public isn't so well informed).

It would take about two days to two weeks, depending on the various media businesses' policies and the increasingly unstable situation in Midwest Republic.
[/quote]
OOC: Please note tha TO never did any ads. Xanatos is using their presence and influence to get this to the people. Media giant, after all.

IC:
The legislators that did respond were offered around a hundred thousand each, most likely more than anyone else wanted to invest into corrupt officials.

Meanwhile, replies were send to MRF and WPC.

[code]To: Midwest Republic Financial

"We will gladly acquire both of these companies. Consider the debts paid; Just tell us the amount of money needed."

Regards,
TriOptimum[/code]

[code]To: Wind Power Corporation

"How much are your current stocks valued at?
We are willing pay 135% of that to take over."[/code]

The media-war would go into another round with ads for fusion power clarifying the difference between fission (splitting) and fusion (merging) in easy words, simple enough for even little children to understand it.
Surely, this would help establish fusion's safety. The time needed for all this was of course irrelevant; TriOptimum's CEO was patient, and he could wait a year and longer for the campaign to start working.

A handful of legislators got greedy, they demanded larger bribes.

[quote name='Lynneth' timestamp='1303051003' post='2691945']
Meanwhile, replies were send to MRF and WPC.
[code]To: Midwest Republic Financial

"We will gladly acquire both of these companies. Consider the debts paid; Just tell us the amount of money needed."

Regards,
TriOptimum[/code]

[code]To: Wind Power Corporation

"How much are your current stocks valued at?
We are willing pay 135% of that to take over."[/code]
[/quote]
To: TriOptimum

$18.79 billion total
-----------------------------------------------------

$1.015 billion
-------------------------------------------------
NEC owned several nuclear power plants and a coal-fired plant, but years of legal battles against anti-nuclear organizations and competing against an increasingly monopolistic MRFEC forced NEC went into deep debts.

MPC owned large amount of river turbines, solar plants and even a few solar-panel manufacturing facilities, but like NEC, was unable to compete against MRFEC.

WPC had heavily invested in wind power technology, but was completely cut off from its customers when MRFEC closed all power lines to WPC's power plants and lacked the funding or time to setup its own power lines.

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1303052223' post='2691951']
A handful of legislators got greedy, they demanded larger bribes.[/quote]
A simple reply was given to those who got greedy.
"Consider that nobody else is likely to be willing to pay such a price for your loyalty.
Do you take the money, or do you take nothing?"

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1303052223' post='2691951']

$18.79 billion total
-----------------------------------------------------

$1.015 billion
-------------------------------------------------
NEC owned several nuclear power plants and a coal-fired plant, but years of legal battles against anti-nuclear organizations and competing against an increasingly monopolistic MRFEC forced NEC went into deep debts.

MPC owned large amount of river turbines, solar plants and even a few solar-panel manufacturing facilities, but like NEC, was unable to compete against MRFEC.

WPC had heavily invested in wind power technology, but was completely cut off from its customers when MRFEC closed all power lines to WPC's power plants and lacked the funding or time to setup its own power lines.
[/quote]
The money would be paid. 18.79 billion to purchase NEC and MPC, 1.371 billion to WPC for a full takeover.

As soon as things were confirmed, TO would send CEOs and other high-level personnel as well as bureaucratic staff to get the three companies running according to the mother company's regime; "Deliver cheap and clean energy, everywhere." was the motto.
The fission plants would be converted towards use of Thorium, a fuel superior to anything Uranium and Plutonium could possibly provide. The coal plant would be entirely dismantled, too dirty and polluting for TO's stated goal of clean power.
For WPC, the solution was simple, with powerlines to be built or purchased to get the turbines to provide power to the people.
MPC's river turbines and solar plants would be put to immediate use as well, as they were more than capable of providing relatively cheap power with little maintenance.
Solar towers were the solution to heightening efficiency.
[url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Lynneth_del_Serpentas/AE/CNRP/Corp/solar_two_barstow.jpg"][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Lynneth_del_Serpentas/AE/CNRP/Corp/th_solar_two_barstow.jpg[/img][/url]
[url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Lynneth_del_Serpentas/AE/CNRP/Corp/PS10_solar_power_tower_2.jpg"][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Lynneth_del_Serpentas/AE/CNRP/Corp/th_PS10_solar_power_tower_2.jpg[/img][/url]

In addition, the three would be subject to a merge in due time, creating one larger and, ultimately, more competent and competetive company. After this merge, plans for fusion plants and good locations would be drawn up.

TO CEO Rauff Hakeem could only wonder about the personal reactions of MRFEC towards this new threat.

"Sir? We have confirmed that TO has purchased Narch Electrical Company, Midwest Power Corporation and Wind Power Corporation. It will take them a while to get everything rolling, but they do have a foothold now. The Legislative has fled since the rioters stormed the building."

"They still have to deliver the power to their customers, I have an idea..." Harden Jake replied.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About half of the power lines connecting MPC's and NEC's power plants to their customers that belonged to MRFEC were closed off, resulting in a potentially dangerous electrical bottleneck in the remaining power lines.

Meanwhile, MRFEC began to attempt to buy as much land as possible surrounding WPC's power plants to prevent them from setting up their own power lines, occasionally sprinkling a few million dollars here and there to accelerate the purchases. TO wouldn't notice MRFEC's plan until they checked with the surrounding land owners. Some land owners were extremely stubborn though, refusing MRFEC's massive bribes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Chicago:

Vice president Willam George was appointed as president since President Natas was obviously unable to do his job for a while. Willam was well known of being very business friendly, he was often seen hanging out with CEOs and other top business leaders, not to mention he also accepted millions of dollars worth of donations from major businesses for the upcoming president election.

The public did not like their new president, and President George is going to have a heck of a time quelling the riots.

Edited by HHAYD

[i]"I will not take kindly to these anarchic communist troublemakers, who's only purpose is to inflict death and destruction against hardworking people. Let it be known that I will take all action necessary against the dangers and ensure the security and prosperity of Midwest Republic. Midwest Republic is now at DEFCON 1 and I have authorized the military to use live ammunition against the enemies. All those who oppose us will face death and we shall grant no mercy."[/i] President George announced in his short speech.

Within minutes, the riots burning throughout Midwest Republic had exploded in size and rage massively. The President House's gates were bashed down and rioters had stormed the building despite taking heavy casualties and injuries. President George was evacuated via helicopter, but to his surprise, it came under heavy fire by anti-aircraft missiles and the helicopter crash landed into the nearby water.

Where did the missiles come from?

The rioters?

Nope, from the Midwest Republic Army.

More than two-thirds of the MRA had defected to the rioters' side since the Supreme Court's ruling, but they only revealed their true intentions after President George's speech. Much of the Midwest Republic Air Force had also defected to the rioters' side as well.

Midwest Republic was now in a semi-civil war, and it isn't helping the majority of the public's side the fact that many of Midwest Republic corrupt businesses had contracted The Mercenaries a while ago. The Mercenaries has superior training and equipments, but only time will tell if they would fare well against a determined and numerically superior enemy.

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1303062350' post='2692002']
"Sir? We have confirmed that TO has purchased Narch Electrical Company, Midwest Power Corporation and Wind Power Corporation. It will take them a while to get everything rolling, but they do have a foothold now. The Legislative has fled since the rioters stormed the building."

"They still have to deliver the power to their customers, I have an idea..." Harden Jake replied.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About half of the power lines connecting MPC's and NEC's power plants to their customers that belonged to MRFEC were closed off, resulting in a potentially dangerous electrical bottleneck in the remaining power lines.

Meanwhile, MRFEC began to attempt to buy as much land as possible surrounding WPC's power plants to prevent them from setting up their own power lines, occasionally sprinkling a few million dollars here and there to accelerate the purchases. TO wouldn't notice MRFEC's plan until they checked with the surrounding land owners. Some land owners were extremely stubborn though, refusing MRFEC's massive bribes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Chicago:

Vice president Willam George was appointed as president since President Natas was obviously unable to do his job for a while. Willam was well known of being very business friendly, he was often seen hanging out with CEOs and other top business leaders, not to mention he also accepted millions of dollars worth of donations from major businesses for the upcoming president election.

The public did not like their new president, and President George is going to have a heck of a time quelling the riots.
[/quote]
[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1303246661' post='2693890']
[i]"I will not take kindly to these anarchic communist troublemakers, who's only purpose is to inflict death and destruction against hardworking people. Let it be known that I will take all action necessary against the dangers and ensure the security and prosperity of Midwest Republic. Midwest Republic is now at DEFCON 1 and I have authorized the military to use live ammunition against the enemies. All those who oppose us will face death and we shall grant no mercy."[/i] President George announced in his short speech.

Within minutes, the riots burning throughout Midwest Republic had exploded in size and rage massively. The President House's gates were bashed down and rioters had stormed the building despite taking heavy casualties and injuries. President George was evacuated via helicopter, but to his surprise, it came under heavy fire by anti-aircraft missiles and the helicopter crash landed into the nearby water.

Where did the missiles come from?

The rioters?

Nope, from the Midwest Republic Army.

More than two-thirds of the MRA had defected to the rioters' side since the Supreme Court's ruling, but they only revealed their true intentions after President George's speech. Much of the Midwest Republic Air Force had also defected to the rioters' side as well.

Midwest Republic was now in a semi-civil war, and it isn't helping the majority of the public's side the fact that many of Midwest Republic corrupt businesses had contracted The Mercenaries a while ago. The Mercenaries has superior training and equipments, but only time will tell if they would fare well against a determined and numerically superior enemy.
[/quote]
With what basically was an open civil war by now between two governmental factions, TriOptimum saw no need to play nice with MRFEC and their dirty practises.

"Did I hear you right, Sir?"
"Yes you did. Playtime's over. They use dirty tricks to prevent us from getting power to our customers?
We use mercs to get things rolling again. Send in the men from Vanguard Inc."

Soon enough, mercenaries from Vanguard Inc., one of Sri Lanka's foremost weapons developers (which was and still is a provider of mercenaries) were flown in to simply take the powerlines from MRFEC by force. If they came upon rioters in the process of doing so, they were instructed to aid them.
If they came upon loyalist, pro-super-capitalist troops, well...Those guys wouldn't have fun facing some of the best-equipped mercenaries in the world, utilizing high-end weaponry otherwise found only in nations like Sri Lanka or the UFE. Sure, the mercs didn't have any heavy vehicles, but the wheeled [url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Lynneth_del_Serpentas/AE/CNRP/Corp/StingrayV2.png"]Stingray V.2 LBT[/url] was quite possibly enough to remove most threats, sporting a 100mm smoothbore tank cannon and a operational range of 1,200 kilometers at only around 16 metric tons of weight.
Other equipment would be flown in if necessary, and some of the infantry weapons - such as the [url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Lynneth_del_Serpentas/AE/CNRP/Singapore/Military/MATADOR_Stand.jpg"]Matador[/url] or versions of the [url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Lynneth_del_Serpentas/AE/CNRP/Corp/Gvozd_by_KaranaK-1.png"]SLAR 21[/url] modified for civilian use - would be given to rioting civvies with some gun experience, as well as revolutionary members of the Republic's armed forces.

In essence, the foreign corporation had declared its allegiance to lie with the anti-corporatist troops. A risky gambit, but one that might pay off.

And, in all this, Xanatos Enterprises was absolutely and completely neutral (as far as it could be), trying to report on both sides equally - but always showing the truth, and nothing but the truth.

Edited by Lynneth

Any of Vanguard Inc's incoming aircraft would quickly encounter a handful of the rebel MRAF's F-15Cs.

[i]"You have one minute to identify yourself."[/i]

The F-15Cs would then fly next to Vanguard Inc's aircraft, ready to fire AA missiles if things go south.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Chicago:

The loyalist MRA quickly found itself outnumbered by the rebel MRA and civilian rebels (formerly aka rioters). The Mercenaries took several hours to prep and roll in to relieve pressure from the loyalist MRA and their invasion of Chicago was sort of successful as the rebel force was caught off-guard. The initial battles were fairly light as little vehicles or missiles were involved, mostly bullets, grenades and improvised weapons (such as Molotov cocktails and kludged flamethrowers).

About 90 rebel MRA's M1A1 Abram tanks showed up just as The Mercenaries' 10 M1A3 tanks arrived at Chicago's suburbs, sparking a tank duel in the surrounding farmland and suburbs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Throughout Midwest Republic:

The loyalists and rebels were unprepared for a long-term heavy war. Neither side had more than two weeks supply of ammunition, at most one month of other supplies, and had small amount of armored vehicles, missiles and aircraft, mostly infantry. The civilian rebels and Mercenaries were even worse prepared. Neither side had an effective government either, the loyalists' government scattered and the rebels' government only consisted of the Department of Defense, which by law, did not have much powers over non-military matters even during emergencies.

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1303411219' post='2695705']
Any of Vanguard Inc's incoming aircraft would quickly encounter a handful of the rebel MRAF's F-15Cs.

[i]"You have one minute to identify yourself."[/i]

The F-15Cs would then fly next to Vanguard Inc's aircraft, ready to fire AA missiles if things go south.[/quote]

A transmission would be sent in reply from the first of these craft.

[i]Vanguard Incorporated, flight 4-D2 Epsilon.
On the way to the Midwest Republic to protect the assets of TriOptimum as well as any civilians coming under fire from so-called 'loyalists'.
We're hired to help the revolution along a bit."[/i]

Edited by Lynneth

[quote name='Lynneth' timestamp='1303423452' post='2695884']
A transmission would be sent in reply from the first of these craft.

[i]Vanguard Incorporated, flight 4-D2 Epsilon.
On the way to the Midwest Republic to protect the assets of TriOptimum as well as any civilians coming under fire from so-called 'loyalists'.
We're hired to help the revolution along a bit."[/i]
[/quote]
The squad leader of the F-15Cs replied:

[i]"You may only protect unarmed civilians and your assets or provide humanitarian aid, any other actions will not be allowed. You are to land at Airlention Military Base's airfield, approximately five miles east of the Grand Maralis Harbor, next to Lake Superior."[/i]

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1303432181' post='2696010']
The squad leader of the F-15Cs replied:

[i]"You may only protect unarmed civilians and your assets or provide humanitarian aid, any other actions will not be allowed. You are to land at Airlention Military Base's airfield, approximately five miles east of the Grand Maralis Harbor, next to Lake Superior."[/i]
[/quote]
[i]"Acknowledged. We'll head for Airlention Base.
We'll move to our employer's assets from there, and assist any unarmed civilians on the way there."[/i]

Meanwhile, the rebellious forces would receive an offer from Vanguard for supplies and military aid, without any reason attched. Just an offer for these things, quite a bit cheaper than they usually would be.

In Chicago:

The rebels' 90 M1A1 tanks attempted to flank the Mercenaries' 10 M1A3 tanks, but their thermal signatures were easily spotted. The flanking maneuver was also broken up when the rebels' tanks came under fire by three Mercenaries' AH-64 Apache helicopters. The rebels' tank crews, inexperienced and poorly trained, decided to scatter.

In the more densely populated area, the Mercenaries and loyalist soldiers were pinned by their greatly numerous enemies. Two dozens of loyalist M60A3 tanks that arrived from the south made a fatal mistake in charging into the tank-unfriendly zone in a large cluster. It didn't take long for them to be relentlessly pounded from above by the rebels' improvised weapons. The platoon leader ordered all buildings around them to be destroyed, not giving a crap about collateral damage despite protests from other tanks crews in his platoon.

When the first building, a 50 stories tall skyscraper, toppled over from its foundation being blown to bits from numerous HE shells, the platoon quickly realized they just committed suicide. The skyscraper crashed onto the platoon, sparing only one M60A3 tank from being pancaked. That lone tank was quickly abandoned by its panic-struck and demoralized crew.

---------------------------------------------
Wisconsin, at one of MRFEC's many coal mines:

About 6,000 rebel and 3,000 loyalist soldiers backed by 500 Mercenaries soldiers were engaged next to the coal mine. Both side's commanders figured it would be a good idea to capture the coal mine and to use to flank their enemy's position.

Within one hour of fighting at the coal mine, the fighting spread into the underground tunnels.

It was no surprise that tunnels caved-in or ignited on fire one after the other, especially when both sides spammed grenades and rockets everywhere to flush their enemies out of covers and hiding spots.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"$%&@! THE TUNNEL IS GOING TO CAVE IN!" Bob yelled as he attempted to run for a more stable location, attempting to dodge the falling debris. His rest of the squad were unlucky, they were a second too slow and were crushed by the rocks that came crashing down. Smoke and fire quickly spread into the tunnel, indicating that another tunnel or cavern above them had ignited on fire. "Who the $%&@ thought it was a great idea to fight in a !@#$@#$ coal mine?" Bob mumbled to himself as he jogged through the tunnel to avoid the smoke and fire. A section of the tunnel, about 20 meters in front of him, exploded into fragments of coal and shale. A squad of Mercenaries soldiers came staggering out of the gaping hole and a huge blast of smoke, heat and fire also erupted from the hole. Apparently they ignited some explosive charges to open up an escape path to avoid being cooked. A loyalist soldier who was a bit too slow also came staggering out of the hole screaming, aflame, before crumpling to the ground. One of the Mercenaries soldiers noticed Bob and raised her FN SCAR. Bob attempted to fire his M16A1 first, but it jammed. He dove behind an empty coal cart next to him as hails of bullets ricocheted everywhere.

Another explosion rumbled, shaking the tunnel and causing its floor to collapse into a large underground cavern below. "$%&@ my life..." Bob thought to himself as he and the Mercenaries squad entered a 10 meter drop onto a mostly rocky surface.

[quote name='Lynneth' timestamp='1303466092' post='2696428']
Meanwhile, the rebellious forces would receive an offer from Vanguard for supplies and military aid, without any reason attched. Just an offer for these things, quite a bit cheaper than they usually would be.
[/quote]
Vanguard's message would go unnoticed by the overwhelmed Department of Defense.

Edited by HHAYD

[img]http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/8791/map1aj.png[/img]

Red: Rebel dominated currently
Blue: Loyalist dominated currently
Purple: Stalemate currently

(OOC: Ignore green :OOC)
----------------------------
Throughout Midwest Republic:

It's been nearly two weeks since the start of the civil war and both sides were feeling the shortage of supplies, except for the Mercenaries, but would also run short on supplies within two or three weeks if they keep up their fighting.

The rebel MRAF's was forced to ground many of its aircraft due to fuel shortage, reserving just enough for a handful of fighter aircraft if the loyalist MRAF somehow had one more bomber aircraft left to throw into the meat-grinder.

It didn't help the fact that many of MRA's soldiers were trigger-happy and rather inaccurate due to poor training, a bad combination with an already small stock of ammunition. Which resulted in battles turning into gigantic fist-fights or spamming improvised weapons because both sides didn't have enough !@#$@#$ bullets left to shoot at each other.

Except for the occasional civilians that appeared to have weeks or months worth of ammunition. But they rarely lasted long as they tend to be the first ones to go down and raided by their enemies for obvious reasons.

Edited by HHAYD

With the Rebels sort of ignoring Vanguard's offer - most likely due to being overextended, busy and having to try and coordinate all this crap - it was decided that they would simply bring ammunition and weapons via plane and ship, then go on patrols to 'protect innocent civilians near battlefields' and distribute the weapons to rebel soldiers and civilian insurgents.
This strategy would hopefully give them the edge they needed to prevail in this unnecessarily bogged down civil war.

Of course, should Vanguard get attacked by another corporation's troops or the so-called loyalist forced, they would move to crack down on the aggressors with a force they might not expect.

[quote name='Lynneth' timestamp='1304243244' post='2703090']
With the Rebels sort of ignoring Vanguard's offer - most likely due to being overextended, busy and having to try and coordinate all this crap - it was decided that they would simply bring ammunition and weapons via plane and ship, then go on patrols to 'protect innocent civilians near battlefields' and distribute the weapons to rebel soldiers and civilian insurgents.
This strategy would hopefully give them the edge they needed to prevail in this unnecessarily bogged down civil war.

Of course, should Vanguard get attacked by another corporation's troops or the so-called loyalist forced, they would move to crack down on the aggressors with a force they might not expect.
[/quote]
Vanguard would find itself in its very first battle. Airlention Base was controlled by the rebel MRA, but only a few dozen miles south of it was Houghton, an area dominated by a large amount of loyalists and Mercenaries. That made it fair games to the nearby loyalist MRA and the Mercenaries who plan on flushing out the last of the rebels in the semi-peninsula north of them before moving down south.

------------------------------------------------------------------
At Airlention Base:

Alarms blared as artillery shells landed throughout the base. Only about 30 seconds later, the Loyalists' and Mercenaries' two dozens of tanks ranging from M1A1s, M1A3s and T-90s to M60A3 arrived to bust down Airlention Base's flimsy security fences. The enemy's tanks served as spearheads, shortly followed by three dozens of M113 APCs and then followed by over two hundred soldiers. The rebels were woefully unprepared for the assault, none of their vehicles' crews were ready for combat.

"For $%&@ sakes, get the !@#$@#$ aircraft out of here before they blow them to bits!" a rebel MRA commander yelled, but it seems that the loyalists' tank crews had somehow read his mind and open fired at Vanguard's parking cargo aircraft only seconds later.

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1304299456' post='2703583']
Vanguard would find itself in its very first battle. Airlention Base was controlled by the rebel MRA, but only a few dozen miles south of it was Houghton, an area dominated by a large amount of loyalists and Mercenaries. That made it fair games to the nearby loyalist MRA and the Mercenaries who plan on flushing out the last of the rebels in the semi-peninsula north of them before moving down south.

------------------------------------------------------------------
At Airlention Base:

Alarms blared as artillery shells landed throughout the base. Only about 30 seconds later, the Loyalists' and Mercenaries' two dozens of tanks ranging from M1A1s, M1A3s and T-90s to M60A3 arrived to bust down Airlention Base's flimsy security fences. The enemy's tanks served as spearheads, shortly followed by three dozens of M113 APCs and then followed by over two hundred soldiers. The rebels were woefully unprepared for the assault, none of their vehicles' crews were ready for combat.

"For $%&@ sakes, get the !@#$@#$ aircraft out of here before they blow them to bits!" a rebel MRA commander yelled, but it seems that the loyalists' tank crews had somehow read his mind and open fired at Vanguard's parking cargo aircraft only seconds later.
[/quote]
"Oh !@#$!"
"Take cover!"

As soon as the attack began, some of the offloaded vehicles began turning towards the hostiles, their crews always alert, especially in a nation in civil war. One of the light vehicles was equipped with a THEL IR-laser weapon, its radar immediately beginning to track artillery shells to shoot them out of the sky. Shells would begin exploding in mid-air without explanation, though it could track and engage only so many. Some would undoubtedly get through.
Stingray V.2 light battle tanks shot off ranging lasers, their relatively powerful 100mm smoothbore cannons then firing specialised anti-tank munitions upon receiving confirmation of an armored assault from their commanders. In the meantime, the ABSS (Advanced Battle Support System) was being established between units, soldiers and tanks soon connected and sharing information about enemy numbers, location and, as available, capabilities.
When a tank-round impacted the transport's front, its capability to take off was gone. Its interior was luckily largely unaffected, two Type 170 MBTs emerging from the plane by crashing through the unloading ramp. While the ramp itself, damaged as it was, was not sturdy enough to withstand the powerful 120mm ETC weapon being fired, the ground it was on was strong enough. Thus, as soon as the tank left the ramp entirely, the first shot went off, hurling at immense speeds towards the nearest enemy M1 tank. "One shot, one kill" was the credo these weapons were based on.
While Vanguard's vehicles were vastly outnumbered, with 5 Type 170 and barely a dozen Stingray LBTs available, almost a hundred veterans had begun taking positions in cover - be it buildings or wrecks - to take out man and machine with their highly varying equipment. SLAR 21 assaule rifles were just as busy being fired as MATADOR anti-tank weapons, ZX-800 sniper rifles and Type 4 LMGs. Even two Miklor Mk.1 grenade launchers were in use, mostly to suppress enemy infantry with shrapnel and incendiary grenades.
Less than 30 seconds into the attack, 10 seconds after the plane on the runway was made useless, the ABSS was fully established, all units uplinked and at peak performance levels.

Edited by Lynneth

[quote name='Lynneth' timestamp='1304300815' post='2703610']
"Oh !@#$!"
"Take cover!"

As soon as the attack began, some of the offloaded vehicles began turning towards the hostiles, their crews always alert, especially in a nation in civil war. One of the light vehicles was equipped with a THEL IR-laser weapon, its radar immediately beginning to track artillery shells to shoot them out of the sky. Shells would begin exploding in mid-air without explanation, though it could track and engage only so many. Some would undoubtedly get through.
Stingray V.2 light battle tanks shot off ranging lasers, their relatively powerful 100mm smoothbore cannons then firing specialised anti-tank munitions upon receiving confirmation of an armored assault from their commanders. In the meantime, the ABSS (Advanced Battle Support System) was being established between units, soldiers and tanks soon connected and sharing information about enemy numbers, location and, as available, capabilities.
When a tank-round impacted the transport's front, its capability to take off was gone. Its interior was luckily largely unaffected, two Type 170 MBTs emerging from the plane by crashing through the unloading ramp. While the ramp itself, damaged as it was, was not sturdy enough to withstand the powerful 120mm ETC weapon being fired, the ground it was on was strong enough. Thus, as soon as the tank left the ramp entirely, the first shot went off, hurling at immense speeds towards the nearest enemy M1 tank. "One shot, one kill" was the credo these weapons were based on.
While Vanguard's vehicles were vastly outnumbered, with 5 Type 170 and barely a dozen Stingray LBTs available, almost a hundred veterans had begun taking positions in cover - be it buildings or wrecks - to take out man and machine with their highly varying equipment. SLAR 21 assaule rifles were just as busy being fired as MATADOR anti-tank weapons, ZX-800 sniper rifles and Type 4 LMGs. Even two Miklor Mk.1 grenade launchers were in use, mostly to suppress enemy infantry with shrapnel and incendiary grenades.
Less than 30 seconds into the attack, 10 seconds after the plane on the runway was made useless, the ABSS was fully established, all units uplinked and at peak performance levels.
[/quote]
The first tank victim, a M1A1, went up in smokes. The rest of the loyalists' and Mercenaries' tanks focused fire on Vanguard's tanks while occasionally taking shots at the rebel MRA's parking empty vehicles. The loyalist and Mercenaries soldiers disembarked from their M113s and took cover before storming the nearby buildings. Vanguard would quickly notice how poorly equipped and trained the MRA (loyalist and rebel) was.

Three F-15Cs were hastily towed to the taxiway and attempted to take off. However, the first one was blown to pieces by a T-90's 125mm high explosive shell, killing the aircrew that were also close by. The second one was shredded and shot down by a M113's 20mm cannon and the last one was sort of lucky, it managed to take off despite being riddled with small arms fire, 20mm shells, its left engine spewing large amount of black smoke and its right engine engulfed in flames. It then flew away from the base to engage an approaching loyalist's B-52 Stratofortress bomber.

Less than a minute later, a loud roar of jet engines were heard overhead. Some of the soldiers on both side looked up and saw a flaming B-52 Stratofortress nose-diving toward the base's munition depot. The B-52's tail end was non-existent and much of both of its wings were missing. The cockpit was completely gone as well. The F-15C that shot it down was also nose-diving, except towards the water instead of the base. The pilot of the F-15C attempted to eject but her aircraft exploded within a second later, completely engulfing the pilot in shrapnel and flames.

Both side attempted to take cover or get away from the B-52's crash zone shortly before the munition depot and B-52's 220,000 kg of munitions and dozens of thousands of liters of fuel exploded upon impact. The blast engulfed about one-fifth of the base, flattening buildings and wiping out large amount of numbers on both sides that were caught in the blast.

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1304370794' post='2704351']
The first tank victim, a M1A1, went up in smokes. The rest of the loyalists' and Mercenaries' tanks focused fire on Vanguard's tanks while occasionally taking shots at the rebel MRA's parking empty vehicles. The loyalist and Mercenaries soldiers disembarked from their M113s and took cover before storming the nearby buildings. Vanguard would quickly notice how poorly equipped and trained the MRA (loyalist and rebel) was.

Three F-15Cs were hastily towed to the taxiway and attempted to take off. However, the first one was blown to pieces by a T-90's 125mm high explosive shell, killing the aircrew that were also close by. The second one was shredded and shot down by a M113's 20mm cannon and the last one was sort of lucky, it managed to take off despite being riddled with small arms fire, 20mm shells, its left engine spewing large amount of black smoke and its right engine engulfed in flames. It then flew away from the base to engage an approaching loyalist's B-52 Stratofortress bomber.

Less than a minute later, a loud roar of jet engines were heard overhead. Some of the soldiers on both side looked up and saw a flaming B-52 Stratofortress nose-diving toward the base's munition depot. The B-52's tail end was non-existent and much of both of its wings were missing. The cockpit was completely gone as well. The F-15C that shot it down was also nose-diving, except towards the water instead of the base. The pilot of the F-15C attempted to eject but her aircraft exploded within a second later, completely engulfing the pilot in shrapnel and flames.

Both side attempted to take cover or get away from the B-52's crash zone shortly before the munition depot and B-52's 220,000 kg of munitions and dozens of thousands of liters of fuel exploded upon impact. The blast engulfed about one-fifth of the base, flattening buildings and wiping out large amount of numbers on both sides that were caught in the blast.
[/quote]
While the Type 170 was a sturdy vehicle with ERA and NERA as part of its armour as well as anti-missile weaponry and other measures, the sheer volume of fire from enemy tanks would eventually bring even it down. One on one, it could take down practically any hostile tank in range. Outnumbered, it could dish out a lot of damage, likely more than it took, but even then it would fail eventually.
Their commanders hoped that they would be able to take at least three or four enemy tanks out, each, before the vehicle being destroyed or suffering a mission-kill. With five Type 170s, this would be between 15 and 20 hostile vehicles - most of what they had. But this ratio would most likely never happen, even with the agile Stingrays supporting them.

As the Vanguard veterans began engaging MRA loyalists to support the rebels, it was rather likely that their battle network and high level of cooperation would win the day, with each man covering two others, firing short bursts at enemies trying to get a shot off, throwing grenades and all in all using their equipment to its greatest use.

Only when the bomber came crashing towards the ground did the troops' attitude shift, mostly to get away from the detonation zone. Most made it, luckily, but 13 veterans and a Stingray were less lucky, the troops incinerated as well as thrown by the blast against the ground and other vertical surfaces. Often, the impact rather than the flames claimed the kill.
For the stingray, it simply had been too close to the depot. Not much would be left of it.