4th anniversary of the NAAC disbandment

Blacky

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Drai' timestamp='1302884799' post='2691135']
Get the stick out of your $*&. There are few alliances that had the impact on the game at the time they existed like NAAC did. That warrants an anniversary thread.
[/quote]
There are many alliances that have had a changing impact on the game. NAAC was not special.

[quote name='AirMe' timestamp='1302906161' post='2691256']
There are some who wish you had.
[/quote]

I am sure there are more than just ''some''.

The NAAC was simply an awesome alliance, there are still so many active NAACers in nearly every alliance on Bob. Some you recognize, some you will never ever know.

Good times.

[quote name='youwish959' timestamp='1302914218' post='2691294']
There are many alliances that have had a changing impact on the game. NAAC was not special.
[/quote]
I would say they're top 12-15 for sure and I would also say anybody of that significance has earned the right to post anniversary threads.

Plus the early alliances in the game have a sentimental value that adds to their anniversary threads.

Edit: The people 'attacking' the NAAC seem to think all of its members believe it was the god of all aliances. I think MK is a greater alliance personally but I enjoy seeing old faces from 06-07 every now and then. Nostalgia surrounding an old alliance isn't any worse than taking pleasure in annoying people who like to remember their CN past every once in a while.

Edited by Drai

[quote name='Drai' timestamp='1302922029' post='2691328']
Plus the early alliances in the game have a sentimental value that adds to their anniversary threads.
[/quote]
I agree with this. I also think alliances like NAAC are romanticized because of the way they ended and because it happened so long ago.

[quote name='Feanor Noldorin' timestamp='1302964712' post='2691527']
I agree with this. I also think alliances like NAAC are romanticized because of the way they ended and because it happened so long ago.
[/quote]
This, especially with the NPpO/NAAC rivalry. The LUE/NPO one was much better.

Still, o/ NAAC

[quote name='Feanor Noldorin' timestamp='1302964712' post='2691527']
[/quote]
Also because there were much fewer significant alliances at the time. With the modern alliance bloat there's no chance for so many people to get attached to any one specific name.

An alliance overrated in the context of military ability (I fought along them and against them) but underrated in the context of political capital, even judging by the political "career" of their former members.
I believe what actually doomed them was that they for some reason had a tendency for martyrdom. I still remember PWII where they decided to not fight back GATO members. A pity that they didn’t make it to this era; it would be interesting to see a true moralist alliance in this new world.

After looking at the successful rebirth of VE, I'm surprised AirMe hasn't tried to re-make what was lost. I'm sure many would join his cause, including myself. They would cause an immediate impact on Planet Bob upon reformation.

[quote name='8 Mile' timestamp='1303239824' post='2693791']
After looking at the successful rebirth of VE, I'm surprised AirMe hasn't tried to re-make what was lost. I'm sure many would join his cause, including myself. They would cause an immediate impact on Planet Bob upon reformation.
[/quote]
It would be far from AirMe's sole discretion.

For one, the NPO/LUE rivalry was a bigger rivalry in the context of the game because it actually changed the entirety of the game. The NAAC/NpO rivalry may have been more interesting due to the color element and severe animosity but that doesn't make it better than the rivalry that effectively set the direction of this entire game. That being said, people bemoaning an anniversary thread for one of the few alliances that was at least not !@#$ is kind of lame. Especially after looking at most of the alliances today.

[/quote]

I am against a re-make of the NAAC. Plus as Gopher said, it isn't my sole decision anyways. There have been attempts in the past. The community itself has talked about it seriously a couple of times in the past 3 years but the consensus has always been that the NAAC had a good run and it would be hard for her to exist properly in the current world.

[/quote]
1. VE reformed a few months after its disbandment. It has been 4 years since NAAC passed.
2. I informed Egore the night I disbanded VE that I'd undo the wrong and get revenge. The idea of reforming when the climate was more favorable existed essentially right off the bat. I don't believe any such plan ever existed for NAAC. Its disbandment was meant to be permanent.
3. The community largely stuck together in factional alliances (Royal Dominion, Directorate, The Brigade). NAAC scattered to the four winds.
4. VE had a singular, absolute leader capable of commanding the loyalty of people wherever they were: Egore. NAAC had numerous great individuals, but no single person elevated to the same level that could have commanded resurrection.

The success of VE post-resurrection should never be interpreted as the rule. It is the exception. Most alliances are extraordinarily difficult to bring back and probably shouldn't be recreated (in before VE should have stayed dead). Many might join the cause of a NAAC reformation, but many, many more would ridicule and criticize it. And it'd never capture the same magic. The continued rest of NAAC only adds to its mystique.

[quote name='Ardus' timestamp='1303270828' post='2694245']
Many might join the cause of a NAAC reformation, but many, many more would ridicule and criticize it. And it'd never capture the same magic. The continued rest of NAAC only adds to its mystique.
[/quote]

I seem to remember someone trying to re-form the NAAC a couple years ago, only to have it publicly shot down by all the former NAAC members.

[quote name='Cobalt' timestamp='1303407254' post='2695659']
I seem to remember someone trying to re-form the NAAC a couple years ago, only to have it publicly shot down by all the former NAAC members.
[/quote]
I'm not sure if Jack Diorno's little charade counts as an actual reformation.