TOOL Announcement

Salmia

[quote name='Ardus' timestamp='1302717432' post='2690109']
Fighting will end before June and GOONS will walk off with piles of your money.
[/quote]
I take it, by this point, you've given up pretending that there is any justification for your acts?

Well, I see other people still trying to justify these TOOL terms, so maybe not entirely.

Edited by HeroofTime55

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='HeroofTime55' timestamp='1302801690' post='2690644']
I take it, by this point, you've given up pretending that there is any justification for your acts?

Well, I see other people still trying to justify these TOOL terms, so maybe not entirely.
[/quote]

Maybe you should justify why your AA has less NS in war mode than my month old nation has total.

You know, I'm starting to feel slightly bad for NPO, the alliances that actually fought to protect them are surrendering, while the alliances that remain are content to sit in peace mode, thinking that their propaganda will cause us to lose morale and offer white peace.

[quote name='xoindotnler' timestamp='1302803458' post='2690659']
Maybe his low NS has something to do with some people's paranoia.
[/quote]

Avalon, 1 nation in war mode out of 25. Man, you really have to [i]try[/i] for that level of insignificance in a war.

Now shush, this thread is about Tool's surrender, and we shouldn't go off topic any more.

[quote name='Banedon' timestamp='1302668326' post='2689875']
If that means we're still fighting in December, so be it. You'll not get a penny from Legion, now or ever.
[/quote]
Oh good, then we might get paid on time.

Congrats to MK on their victory over TOOL.

[quote name='Deki' timestamp='1302802463' post='2690649']
Maybe you should justify why your AA has less NS in war mode than my month old nation has total.

You know, I'm starting to feel slightly bad for NPO, the alliances that actually fought to protect them are surrendering, while the alliances that remain are content to sit in peace mode, thinking that their propaganda will cause us to lose morale and offer white peace.
[/quote]
In fact, I'm banking on you lot not offering it. It makes you look worse. As it stands, your precious little hegemony is already starting to crumble.

For example, this thread. Extorting TOOL, and then justifying it with the outright lie that white peace was at any point offered to them. Makes you look pretty bad.

[quote name='HeroofTime55' timestamp='1302814173' post='2690743']
In fact, I'm banking on you lot not offering it. It makes you look worse. [b]As it stands, your precious little hegemony is already starting to crumble.[/b]

For example, this thread. Extorting TOOL, and then justifying it with the outright lie that white peace was at any point offered to them. Makes you look pretty bad.
[/quote]

Is it really now? Looks pretty steadfast to me.

[quote name='HeroofTime55' timestamp='1302814173' post='2690743']
In fact, I'm banking on you lot not offering it. It makes you look worse. As it stands, your precious little hegemony is already starting to crumble.

[/quote]

How are standard tech deals extortion again?

With a state of there being more buyers than sellers, you can make the argument that mandatory tech deals do divert scarce resources that would otherwise go to TOOL's own nations - resources that would not be as easy to replace from the open market, both due to the scale of organization required, and the likelihood of higher prices. But that is a fairly marginal disadvantage, and not one that would really merit the term extortion.

Technically, what makes something extortion or not extortion is not the severity of the contract, but rather the basis of it. Extortion is when you get something that otherwise you wouldn't by using the threat of force.

You can extort a penny.

[quote name='William Bonney' timestamp='1302837535' post='2690927']
Someone call a copper!

:mellow:

ya ok even I'll admit that one was lame.
[/quote]
There is a read spot on my forehead from where it made contact with my desk.

Edited by HeroofTime55

[quote name='Letum' timestamp='1302830801' post='2690891']
With a state of there being more buyers than sellers, you can make the argument that mandatory tech deals do divert scarce resources that would otherwise go to TOOL's own nations - resources that would not be as easy to replace from the open market, both due to the scale of organization required, and the likelihood of higher prices. But that is a fairly marginal disadvantage, and not one that would really merit the term extortion.
[/quote]

Just to play devils advocate here, you could also make the argument that in times of economic depression which in CN only really occur after a major war the best hope for economic recovery is through external exports. This brings cash into the economy that would otherwise be absent. Of course the rebuttal is that TOOL has plenty of allies such as ourselves that are willing to dump hundreds of millions on them in order assist them in their recovery, yet the three month period ensures that this is still a possibility. Either way I think the term extortion would be misplaced here.

[quote name='Bob Janova' timestamp='1302887945' post='2691149']
That's technically true in the same way that decimation is technically a 10% reduction. Everyone knows what is meant by 'extortion' and (OOC: at least in CN) it means unreasonably large demands. And I agree, that isn't the case here.
[/quote]
I don't see how [i]any[/i] demand in this situation could have been "reasonable."

[quote name='HeroofTime55' timestamp='1302842117' post='2690972']
There is a read spot on my forehead from where it made contact with my desk.
[/quote]

You're still typing so

TRY... HARDER...

[quote name='Heft' timestamp='1302949683' post='2691485']
I don't see how [i]any[/i] demand in this situation could have been "reasonable."
[/quote]

Reasonable or not, if you enter in any war and want or need to surrender, you should expect a price for your peace. White peace isn't a right you have when losing a war which you only give up if you do something stupid. White peace is a "gift" from the victors, either for an alliance behaving honorably or because of a choice they make for any reason ranging from wanting to look good to just not wanting the hassle rep payments from some alliances would give you.

Personally i hate handling reps, in most cases (for us NPO was the exception) you either respect the "enemy" enough to let them walk, or you don't like them so you're sentencing yourself to increased contact with them to coordinate reps. But if someone wants to surrender and they walk in assuming white peace to begin with i would be more then willing to throw in some reps just because of my believe that you should never assume it will be on the table.

So looking at it from that point of view, I would say these terms are more then reasonable, the only thing it will cost is the effort that they need to look for sellers for their own buyers outside their own alliance.

Edit: almost forgot, congrats on peace.

Edited by EgoFreaky