Hockey Playoff Pickem' Challenge

King Charge

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Chickenzilla' timestamp='1302208065' post='2686285']
lol, they still beat the Canucks twice in a row.
Oh, and as long as we get another two points in our next two I think we clinch it.
[/quote]

I was trying to do the math (usually a terrible idea). I think if Dallas wins out in regulation they will have the tie breaker, which would mean Chicago needs an OT loss and a win to clinch a spot. However, if Dallas wins out but needs to go to a shootout in one of the games we will have the tie breaker. I'm not sure though. Also, Phoenix has two more games left, both with San Jose and are more than capable of losing out, in which case I think we own the tie breaker with them... :blink:

Basically, the Hawks just need to take care of business. Detroit will be without Zetterburg for the two games against Chicago, so hopefully we can take advantage.

[quote name='Keve69' timestamp='1302240878' post='2686569']
hehe No one has picked the team with the best shot at the cup yet so let me do that:

Habs vs 'nucks

Habs take it in 7! w00t 25th cup here we come!

GO HABS GO!
Vive le tricolore!
[/quote]
hahahah

Habs. Best chance at cup. hahahaha

This !@#$@#$ guy

[quote name='reroll' timestamp='1302298445' post='2687082']
The Habs fans always were a bit demented.
[/quote]

What makes you say that? The fact that regardless of if they win or lose a playoff series, cars will be flipped over and riots will ensue?

Anyways, Chicago is going to at least need to bring Detroit into OT on Sunday to lock up a playoff spot. I love how 97 points just isn't enough to get into the playoffs anymore. Screw shoot outs.

Canucks went through most of the season with only 3-4 of their top 6 defenseman (sometimes only 1-2) and still had the least goals against. Now they have 8-9 potential starting defenseman for the playoffs (Ehrhoff, Edler, Bieksa, Ballard, Salo, Rome, Hamhuis, Alberts, Tanev)

They have Scheider as a solid backup so Luongo won't be fatigued (only played 60 games this season and won't have to play every game in the playoffs).

The Maholtra injury hurts as he was a great 3rd line center who could win faceoffs and play the penalty kill. However they have a ton of forward depth and are healthy everywhere else at the front.

That being said I'm not going to say nobody can beat them, but they're in far better shape than the last few years.

If I had to pick at this point I'd say Canucks over Bruins in 6.

Edited by Drai

Man, can't believe Dallas lost to the Wild when their playoff hopes were on the line. We had beaten the Stars all 4 times this season with a combined score of 20-5 too :(

Oh well, not too worried about Chicago, provides an entertaining series at least.

Edited by Drai

[quote name='Chickenzilla' timestamp='1302488767' post='2688235']
You should be. Canucks can't beat Chicago when it matters
[/quote]

Except this Chicago is a shell of last year's, and Vancouver has never had a team this good and focused. I'm not even a huge Canucks fan, but I'll be cheering for them this year. (I always choose the Canadian team to cheer for, since my beloved Maple Leafs... enough said... but no way I'm cheering for the damn Habs).

[quote name='Kevin McDonald' timestamp='1302488861' post='2688238']
Except this Chicago is a shell of last year's, and Vancouver has never had a team this good and focused. I'm not even a huge Canucks fan, but I'll be cheering for them this year. (I always choose the Canadian team to cheer for, since my beloved Maple Leafs... enough said... but no way I'm cheering for the damn Habs).
[/quote]

I never understood this sentiment. I hate a lot more American teams than I do Canadian teams.

[quote name='Drai' timestamp='1302489847' post='2688256']
Yes because both teams are spitting images of the past 2 years.
[/quote]

This man remains constant. Which is beautiful for the Blackhawks.
[IMG]http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z371/King_Charge/luongo-injured.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='King Charge' timestamp='1302490652' post='2688267']
I never understood this sentiment. I hate a lot more American teams than I do Canadian teams.

[/quote]

I hate a lot more American teams than I do Canadian teams as well. I just particularly hate the Habs. The only way I would cheer for them is if it was them vs. Detroit in the finals. Otherwise, I rank it Maple Leafs, Oilers (cuz I'm now an Edmontonian), Vancouver, Ottawa, Calgary, every American team except Detroit, Montreal, Detroit.

:P

Edit: I may have misread your comment. Regardless, a large portion of Canadians will cheer for any other Canadian team once theirs has been eliminated, because we want the cup to come "home". This is true in my case, with the exception of Montreal.

Edited by Kevin McDonald

[quote name='Kevin McDonald' timestamp='1302491033' post='2688278']
I hate a lot more American teams than I do Canadian teams as well. I just particularly hate the Habs. The only way I would cheer for them is if it was them vs. Detroit in the finals. Otherwise, I rank it Maple Leafs, Oilers (cuz I'm now an Edmontonian), Vancouver, Ottawa, Calgary, every American team except Detroit, Montreal, Detroit.

:P
[/quote]

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention I'm from America. My point is, the fact that I'm American doesn't mean I have any loyalties to American teams. In fact, it makes me hate them more for some reason. I've noticed that there is a loyalty among Canadians to teams from Canada which I don't understand.

EDIT: Your ninja edit answered my question.

Edited by King Charge

[quote name='King Charge' timestamp='1302490652' post='2688267']

This man remains constant. Which is beautiful for the Blackhawks.
[IMG]http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z371/King_Charge/luongo-injured.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]
Their defense is better than last years (see: not only being able to fully field 3 defensive pairs but having some in reserve). Their backup goalie went 16-4-2 with a .929 save percentage. Luongo will be rested going into the playoffs and might even be able to take the odd night off because Schneider is so dependable. Not too concerned about Luongo playing poorly this year.

[quote name='King Charge' timestamp='1302491234' post='2688285']
Oh yeah. I forgot to mention I'm from America. My point is, the fact that I'm American doesn't mean I have any loyalties to American teams. In fact, it makes me hate them more for some reason. I've noticed that there is a loyalty among Canadians to teams from Canada which I don't understand.

EDIT: Your ninja edit answered my question.
[/quote]
Because there are fewer Canadian teams and because it's our national game (winter-time that is) we want to keep the Cup in the country. It's easier to be loyal to a select group of teams than the 24 American teams.

Edited by Drai

$%&@ you Drai, I half agree but $%&@ you. We'll win and I'll giggle about it later.
[quote name='moneymango' timestamp='1302492521' post='2688314']
No Byfuglien, no Ladd, no Eager, Ballard out.

Canucks in 5 :smug:
[/quote]
:( I miss Eager and Ladd most of anyone we lost, and Versteeg of course.

[quote name='Chickenzilla' timestamp='1302559342' post='2688792']
$%&@ you Drai, I half agree but $%&@ you. We'll win and I'll giggle about it later.

:( I miss Eager and Ladd most of anyone we lost, and Versteeg of course.
[/quote]

The Hawks just match up well the Nucks. It's that simple. Remember when we put up a touchdown on them earlier [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWLIqOeWi3c"]THIS SEASON[/url]?

If you're going to try to play a wide open game with the Hawks you're going to get slaughtered. They're a puck possesion team with a mobile puck moving defense. Teams have success bullying the Hawks. Stand up in the nuetral zone and make them play dump and chase, hit them whenever the opportunity is presented, and use your body to shieled the puck. That's how teams like the Stars, Preds, and Ducks have frustrated the Hawks. I don't think the Canucks are capable of bullying the Hawks. Offensively, teams have had success moving the puck from low to high. The Hawks like to converge down low and take away pretty passing plays through the slot and pressure the forwards to make a dumb turnover. They converge down low and try to get into shooting lanes when the puck is put back to the point. If the Canucks D can find the shooting lanes and use their bodies to position themselves in front of the net for rebounds they're going to have good success. The Canucks D is a lot like the Hawks. This leaves the extremely dangerous transition game of the Hawks an opportunity to do work. Shut down defensive teams like the Preds work a lot better against the Hawks in my opinion. Then theres the mental aspect. Luongo is a choker, period. I don't care how well rested he is, it's not about physically being rested. He doesn't perform well in the playoffs because he's a mental wreck. You want proof, go watch the tape and see how many times he whines to the refs. Look at his mannerisms and how defeated he looks. Then watch the cherry on top when he literally starts crying after they're eliminated. The Hawks are wimps and can't fight. What they can do, specifically Bolland, is try to get on your nerves, and it seems people like Burrows, and Daniel Sedin, and Luongo let that kind of thing affect their game. Check the tape once again, and watch where they completely lose their composure and start going after people and taking stupid penalties. The Hawks powerplay has been top five and fantasic this season. If the Canucks start taking stupid penalties, they're going to lose the series.

Maybe I'm off point, but I really do like the matchup for the Hawks. The recipe for beating the Hawks is a big and physical team and I don't think the Nucks have what it takes. I see the Hawks winning in a long grueling 6 or 7 game series.

Being a homer FTW. :awesome:

Also, if you're going to join the pickem' or you're already signed up, you have until 5:00pm on Wednesday to select your first round and bonus picks before the thread is locked. If you haven't already signed up, go to www.cnbatcave.com.

[quote name='moneymango' timestamp='1302563552' post='2688854']
Chicago doesn't have the same guys that could get into the dirty areas and really rattle Loungo's cage. Ya, Chicago won a game 7-1 in November, too bad games in November don't count in the playoffs :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Haha, I'm just saying everyone seems to have penciled in the Canucks with the reason "They're both different teams than last year". I agree, they are different. I'm just trying to point out that this Hawks teams is more than capable of beating this Canucks team.

EDIT: Barry Melrose has picked the Canucks to win the series. You guys are screwed :smug:

Edited by King Charge

[quote name='King Charge' timestamp='1302565244' post='2688871']
Haha, I'm just saying everyone seems to have penciled in the Canucks with the reason "They're both different teams than last year". I agree, they are different. I'm just trying to point out that this Hawks teams is more than capable of beating this Canucks team.

EDIT: Barry Melrose has picked the Canucks to win the series. You guys are screwed :smug:
[/quote]
They are definitely capable of beating the Canucks. Anything can happen, that is why the playoffs are so exciting.

And as a side note, I've skated with some of the Blackhawks before, they weren't that great ;)

Edited by moneymango