The Treaty of Zurich II

Sargun II

"I believe what is necessary then, as it would appear that this Pact is being divided upon itself is to step back and address each tension, one at a time. The recent merging of the states of the Irish United Kingdom, Scotland, and Slavorussia, presents itself as perhaps one of the most dominant forces on the European Continent. In contrast to the strength that dominants Northern Europe, Athens holds a strong influence over Southern Europe. There is no question, on any one's mind here that the tension of this pact comes from the fact that the United Kingdom and Athens have a rather strained relationship. The fears, of at least the Germanic Union, come from the idea that if a war would break out between Athens and the United Kingdom, Germany would be forced to attack a nation that calls it, a friend. Austria, during its first escapade in North America ran into a similar problem with Pravus Inguro, in the fact that we have friends on many sides of the world who we will never take up arms against, even if a treaty tells us to. Dishonorable? Perhaps, but the question must be asked, dishonorable to whom?

Austria does not want to see the Zurich Pact destroyed, nor do we want to see the United Kingdom banished from the Pact. What must be done is the countries of Europe must come back and sit down at the bargaining table and a new future must be made. It is clear that Spheres of Influence, from either Athens or the United Kingdom will be Europe's destiny until one power either falls or a friendship can be concluded. I suggest then, that Athens be brought back to the table and a clear line of Spheres are drawn across Europe and in the event of instability, Europe can handle the problem as a continental family and not as a house divided.

If Athens and the United Kingdom cannot reach a compromise of some sort, then I am afraid that this Pact has seen it's last days. Either the bi-polarity of the continent must be solved or the Pact should be destroyed in its entirety. I fail to see another way, but if you honorable representatives foresee another alternative, one where friendships can be preserved and not destroyed, I am willing to listen."

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Justinian the Mighty' timestamp='1302154863' post='2686027']
“I‘d like to state for the record that the Eastern regional government of the United Kingdom is extremely offended by the Commonwealth and Germanic Union‘s vote to expel a member of this organization not because it has violated the charter, but because it doesn‘t want to vote the same way as the Germanic Union. We are especially offended by the Commonwealth, which voted with us to keep the supremacy clause, but is voting us out of the pact. What reason does Commonwealth have, what reason do any of you have for that matter?”

“I am rendered physically sick by this display today. I cannot believe, when I think about what we‘ve sacrificed and offered to sacrifice for the good of your two countries, that you would resort to this. I am ashamed to have been present when Slavorussia was asked to become a founding member of this pact. If the motion to expel the United Kingdom is successful it will likely the greatest mistake that the Zurich Pact will ever make, because it will have lost the most ardent, dedicated member.”
[/quote]

It is not Slavorussia that personally the Commonwealth has issues with. You have been quiet at these conferences for some time now.

However your Irish and Scottish counterparts have done nothing but fly in the face of the other delegations and fail to even reach compromise. Whilst your union grants you one vote as opposed to three, it is the commonwealths opinion that your counterparts are simply trying to muscle into an alliance and use their overwhelming influence to dominate it's politics with complete disregard for other members.

If we cant continually adapt and change to maintain this alliance because dead wood refuses to change then the dead wood needs to be cut. The polarisation of Europe is something the removal of this clause can prevent. The UK as a whole must see this and it must allow change to take place so that we can keep up with the ever changing political landscape of Europe and avoid future wars that needed not happen.

Edited by Zoot Zoot

"We do not aim to remove UK in itself, because what we aim to do is removing the clause. If it can only be removed by taking the UK out of the pact, then you leave us no choice. The fact of the matter is that the supremacy clause renders all of our non-Zurich agreements largely useless. Through the supremacy clause I can be forced to fight our own allies. That is entirely and completely unacceptable. How would you feel, if you had not joined Zürich and were exposed to this? If some other member had a problem with Slavorussia, attacked, and in spite of our MDP we are almost certain to have to colaborate in Slavorussia's destruction? It is not only hypocritical but simply stupid and it is against the pact's point - to unite Europe. If you are a supporter of Zürich, and therefore of our Land, then why won't you consider going ahead and removing the supremacy clause in order for us all to continue here? The reasons to do this are clear and we are determined. I would never want to fight another European nation, Zürich or not, unless we literally had no choice but to defend ourselves or unless it were an operation to remove Anarchy such as seen in Scandinavia, which arguably do not count as war, same as when you make Finland stable again it would not count as war either. The clause is a mistake, and it is in part why Athens left, too. We might as well go and indeed disband Zürich than let it go on under the clause. We agree with Austria, the bipolarity must be solved for the sake of our countries, and removing the clause is the first step - and a mandatory one."

"The UK I think needs to reconsider. This isn't just about us, it's about the continent at large. If our decision or proposal offends you, so be it, I would rather cause you to be offended while knowing I am doing the best thing ultimately not for ourselves but also for UK even if it may not agree."

[quote name='Zoot Zoot' timestamp='1302167018' post='2686090']
Whilst your union grants you one vote as opposed to three, it is the commonwealths opinion that your counterparts are simply trying to muscle into an alliance and use their overwhelming influence to dominate it's politics with complete disregard for other members.
[/quote]
"Scotland was in Zurich before the union. We are utterly amazed that you are incapable of something as simple as basic fact-checking.

"The northern parts of the United Kingdom wonder why nobody has proposed replacing the mandatory defence supremacy clause with a simple mandatory non-aggression supremacy clause?"

"it astounds us that you fail to see our point. You may well have been in Zurich before your union. But you didn't toe the line and you didn't try and manipulate the council to bully your opinions onto it. Since your union and new found... Strength you have done nothing but attempt to get your own way with this alliance going down so low that you drop personal insults at the drop of a hat.

Slavorussia is the only member of your Union fit to be in this council because they have the innate ability to see reason and negotiate. They have tact. Something Ireland and Scotland lack.

Whilst a lack of tact is not a bad thing, your heavy footed diplomacy is cracking the ice this alliance was formed on. Now of course holding a bloc together is no easy matter, but in order to do so we must adapt, move forward and keep up with the geopolitical climates of Europe. The supremacy clause threatens this stability and you cannot see that or you won't admit it for whatever reason. Therefor our vote remains. You can either vote to remove the clause or we will vote you out of Zurich and do it without you."

Edited by Zoot Zoot

[quote name='Zoot Zoot' timestamp='1302315078' post='2687209']
"They have tact. Something Ireland and Scotland lack.."
[/quote]

"This is the tact that Scotland lacked when it saved you from being invaded, saved Spain from war, and helped Ireland avoid war as well; tact that Scotland lacked when we always took the route against extremist, reactionary views especially when threats and accusations were made against England; tact that Scotland lacked when we have done nothing to England except been a buffer between themselves and Ireland. The Commonwealth claims Slavorussia has the ability to reason and negotiate (which is, in fact, something Scotland has shown often [b]to your benefit[/b]), yet when Slavorussian delegates put forward their objections you simply insult everyone else while not meeting their eye.

"You have yet to prove how the removal of the supremacy clause will help bring stability to Europe in light of Athenian withdrawal. In fact, removing the supremacy clause only opens up members of the Zurich pact to assault from European forces, whereas the supremacy clause itself is in fact a deterrent. Removal of the supremacy clause will only worsen the situation by allowing members of Zurich to pick a side.

"Furthermore, removing the United Kingdom would only remove more barriers between a potential Athenian-United Kingdom war or conflict, which again would require the members of Zurich to pick sides since neither nation would be in Zurich.

"Finally, why is it that one vote is stopping Zurich from passing this motion? There are five members, so only three are needed to pass. 100% is only needed for admission of members."

"We did say after you moved into your Union sir... Not before. As for a UK/Athenian War, it is the supremecy clauses which causes problems. Everybody apart from the UK is allied to the Athenians outside of Zurich and as Finland has no longer a functioning Government. That leaves only four members of Zurich, three of them want rid of the supremacy clause."

Edited by Zoot Zoot

[quote name='Zoot Zoot' timestamp='1302319202' post='2687235']
"We did say after you moved into your Union sir... Not before. As for a UK/Athenian War, it is the supremecy clauses which causes problems. Everybody apart from the UK is allied to the Athenians outside of Zurich and as Finland has no longer a functioning Government. That leaves only four members of Zurich, three of them want rid of the supremacy clause."
[/quote]

"Then if we move forward with a formal vote and it goes 3-to-1, the supremacy clause will be removed. As I said before, the charter only notes specifically 100% approval needed for applicants alone.

"The United Kingdom calls for a formal vote on the removal of the supremacy clause and votes [b]no[/b]."

The Scottish UK delegate sighed and leaned back in his seat.

[quote name='Zoot Zoot' timestamp='1302319202' post='2687235']
[/quote]

"As a matter of fact, the United Kingdom is allied to the Athenian Federation outside of Zurich. Perhaps the English, instead of accusing the Irish and Scottish of actions without proof, should invest a wing of their foreign affairs department devoted to facts and research. We're all sovereign nations which means we all have differing opinions on matters. If Zurich is so polarized to where they have to begin to vote out nations that don't agree with each and every other signatory then I feel sorry for you all. This treaty is supposed to be for a united Europe, the only thing you're doing is further alienating your nations from the United Kingdom."

Edited by Yawoo

“Even though the issue is solved I’d like to point out to the Commonwealth that it is flip-flopping around. First you voted not to drop the supremacy clause, but that it needed to be modified. When it came to finding a reason to expel the UK, the Commonwealth seems to have suddenly switched it’s opinion to drop the clause entirely. I’m not implying anything, but I wish that your country could make up its mind.”

“Having said that, if anyone is still considering amending the clause I suggested awhile back that we should modify or clarify the wording of the clause.”

[quote name='Zoot Zoot' timestamp='1302484648' post='2688174']
Three votes in favour of the removal of the clause.

Is the UK ready to present a vote?
[/quote]

"You were warned once to do your homework. If you read the transcript of the voting you'll find the following:

[quote]"The United Kingdom calls for a formal vote on the removal of the supremacy clause and votes no."[/quote]

So, in fact, not only did the United Kingdom call for the vote, we also voted first."

[/quote]

The UK already voted.

[i]"The United Kingdom calls for a formal vote on the removal of the supremacy clause and votes no."[/i]

[/quote]

"We should remind the ever-ready Commonwealth:

[quote]
[i]"The United Kingdom calls for a formal vote on the removal of the supremacy clause and votes no."[/quote] [/i]"

Edited by Sargun

Ah, apologies, well then.
It is by this council that the supremacy clause is hereby removed from the treaty. If the scribe would be so kind as to make the amendment.

Now an issue raised to my attention is the Empire of Pravus Ingruo. They are presently undergoing some internal issues, I have not been briefed with the full details but if somebody from the UK could enlighten the council as to what their most recent declaration meant in regards to Europe, it would be a Great help.

The U.K.'s Western region delegate stood up and spoke, "In regards to the Empire, it seems they have been split in half with one side siding with former Emperor Harland and the non-American colonization attitude and the other with the current Emperor and his policies. Most likely there will be an internal conflict akin to Civil War. The winning side will shape the Empire's politics. Should Emperor Harland win, this probably means the Empire will use it's resources to remove non-American nations from America. I would like to remind you all that the United Kingdom holds a treaty with the Empire."

The representatives of the UK's eastern government think about standing up and leaveing since nobody pays attention to anything they say. Instead they decided to repeat themselves as they’ve been forced to do numerous times before. “We have to continue the vote on the Free City-State of Torun and removing the UK. We haven't reached a decision on either.”

Edited by Justinian the Mighty