STA April Press Conference

Welcome to the April STA press conference. I'd like to start out with an announcement type thing.

STA would like to sincerely thank our treaty partner Nueva Vida and our friend Creole for sending us tons and tons of post war aid. Because of the generosity of your alliances, we needed very, very little of our own money to rebuild, and we've been able to bounce back very quickly. You went above and beyond, and we thank you for it.

And now, you may ask your questions. Anything is fair except for questions about how we feel about your alliance or your friend's alliance or whatever. Those are stupid, self-serving questions, and we won't answer them. We won't answer them if you PM a different member of the STA government to whine about how Pez won't answer your question about how we feel about you, and try to get them to answer instead, either.

[quote name='Lurunin' timestamp='1301784273' post='2683092']
how goes the rebuilding effort?[/quote]

This was answered in the OP.
[quote]
and are you satisfied in your performance with the war or wish to improve things?
[/quote]

I think we're in agreement that we did as well as we could have under the circumstances. We see some areas where there is room for improvement, but we're satisfied with our performance.

[quote name='Deimos27' timestamp='1301786350' post='2683114']
Hello pezstar. Do you think this past conflict and the current Doomhouse one will change Planet Bob's big war-long peace routine?

Thanks!
[/quote]

I don't know what you mean by war-long peace routine.

[quote name='Beefspari' timestamp='1301791269' post='2683159']
How do you respond to accusations that you basically run the alliance and Tyga only shows up when someone needs insulting?

[/quote]

Nah. I definitely don't. I'm not even second in command. Tyga goes through periods in his life when he's able to be very active and periods when he's able to be only internally active. I, however, have no life 100% of the time, so I am able to be active publicly whenever I feel like it. He overrules me quite often.

[quote name='pezstar' timestamp='1301783477' post='2683086']
STA would like to sincerely thank our treaty partner Nueva Vida and our friend Creole for sending us tons and tons of post war aid. Because of the generosity of your alliances, we needed very, very little of our own money to rebuild, and we've been able to bounce back very quickly. You went above and beyond, and we thank you for it.
[/quote]

It was a pleasure sending the aid and I'd do it any day again. Don't have much questions though so this will be my only appearance in the thread.

Do you feel that STA holds any responsibility with regards to the deterioration of relations between yourselves and MK? It seems that whenever this topic the two sides simply lob the blame to the other end, and while that does make for enjoyable blood sport I wonder if there is anything you would do differently, given the opportunity.

[quote name='New Frontier' timestamp='1301795436' post='2683216']
Do you feel that STA holds any responsibility with regards to the deterioration of relations between yourselves and MK? It seems that whenever this topic the two sides simply lob the blame to the other end, and while that does make for enjoyable blood sport I wonder if there is anything you would do differently, given the opportunity.
[/quote]

We're responsible in that we didn't read the signs correctly. We took MK at their word when they said that they considered us to be one of their most important allies, and that everything was gravy, just a few weeks before the cancellation. We obviously knew it was not, or we wouldn't have initiated the conversation. I think no one wanted to tell the other it was over. So there's that.

[quote name='pezstar' timestamp='1301792995' post='2683184']
I don't know what you mean by war-long peace routine.
[/quote]

My bad, I meant big war/long peace routine. That's a slash.

One of the issues brought up during Everything Must Die were the boring and increasingly lengthier peace time periods between wars.

[quote name='pezstar' timestamp='1301797061' post='2683243']
We're responsible in that we didn't read the signs correctly. We took MK at their word when they said that they considered us to be one of their most important allies, and that everything was gravy, just a few weeks before the cancellation. We obviously knew it was not, or we wouldn't have initiated the conversation. I think no one wanted to tell the other it was over. So there's that.
[/quote]

That's not assuming responsibility.

[quote name='Kalasin' timestamp='1301801368' post='2683275']
That's not assuming responsibility.
[/quote]

He didn't make a statement about STA assuming responsibly. Read his question again and you'll see she answered it.

Edited by kevin32891

[quote name='Beefspari' timestamp='1301791269' post='2683159']
How do you respond to accusations that you basically run the alliance and Tyga only shows up when someone needs insulting?
[/quote]

Like now? I felt that hideous picture needed to be removed.

If you think one person alone can run an alliance, then I think you are kidding yourself. Sure, one person can make the final decision and oversee the running of the alliance but no alliance of any substance is a one man or one woman show. The STA has a number of people contributing in the various departments within the alliance who do not have a great presence in the inter-alliance discussions.

As I really hate to disappoint, it is good to see Francesca is still completely unable to comprehend basic English and prefers instead to box shadows.. Many things change but that is one of life's rare consistencies.

Edited by Tygaland

[quote name='Tygaland' timestamp='1301816749' post='2683351']
Like now? I felt that hideous picture needed to be removed.

If you think one person alone can run an alliance, then I think you are kidding yourself. Sure, one person can make the final decision and oversee the running of the alliance but no alliance of any substance is a one man or one woman show. The STA has a number of people contributing in the various departments within the alliance who do not have a great presence in the inter-alliance discussions.

As I really hate to disappoint, it is good to see Francesca is still completely unable to comprehend basic English and prefers instead to box shadows.. Many things change but that is one of life's rare consistencies.
[/quote]
At least you were able to prove that the second half of my question was true.
[img]http://meru.xfury.net/images/aeris/aerisfffX2.jpg[/img]

[quote name='New Frontier' timestamp='1301795436' post='2683216']
[/quote]

Pez pretty much covered the general chain of events.

To flesh it out a bit (lot?) more, the deterioration in the relationship between the STA and MK really only occurred once the treaties were cancelled by MK. In the months prior, the STA had concerns over a change of direction by MK with respects to their foreign policy and we called a meeting to discuss those concerns a month or two prior to the cancellation. We were assured that our concerns were unfounded and that the treaty between the STA and MK was highly valued by MK leadership. At this point we decided to leave the treaty as-is and see how things went based on that assurance. So, while not really being a reason for the deterioration of relations between our alliances, I do regret not cancelling the treaty there and then because I was not convinced that what we were told was true. Future events vindicated those concerns.

Months later the treaty was cancelled as part of the MK treaty purge. We were not spoken to prior to the cancellation nor were we spoken to afterwards. Only after MK signed their new treaties were we then contacted by MK via their embassy on the STA forum. We expressed our disappointment over what had happened with regards to the treaty and lack of communication from MK. MK acknowledged they could have handled it better up until the incident with the NSO and MK became public. The trade circle compensation nonsense. The STA were supportive of NSO as we considered them to be the party wronged in this incident. I believe this to be the major cause of the public deterioration of relations between the STA and MK. The deterioration was accelerated by an icident whereby the then deputy FA minister of the STA's confidence was betrayed by a member of the STA government. The information gained under that confidence was used as leverage to try and get a better result for the NSO. MK did not appreciate the support we gave NSO publicly over this incident and were irate at the public criticism we levelled at them over this issue. They were also unimpressed by the use of information gained under confidence as leverage. This also soured the relationship between the STA and the now former deputy FA minister and understadably so. As a result, MK washed their hands of their oversights during the treaty cancellation/re-signing period and relations have no improved since.

So, do I accept any responsiblity for the deterioration in relations between the STA and MK? I'd have to say that I do. A small part of the responsibility. I believe the STA did the right thing throughout the period I covered above with the exception of the confidence breach. That is one event I look back on with some regret. At the time it seemed the right thing to do to help our friends at the NSO but at the same time we trampled over someone we considered a friend and have permanently damaged that relationship.

As far as I am concerned, we did all we could to maintain good relations with MK in the lead-up to the NSO issue. We spoke to them when we had concerns as a good ally should. We took them on their word about their future direction and the value they placed in our treaty with them. When they cancelled on us, we were annoyed but we kept that annoyance private for the most part. We gave them space afterwards to sort out what they were doing and when they signed their new treaties we were open and honest in our opinion on what had happened. With the NSO incident we had a close friend being given a raw deal and stood up for them even though the alliance they had an issue with was a former ally.

Whether others would perceive us as responsible, either partty or wholly, depends on how they interpret the events above. Each event contributed in some way to the deterioration of relations but it depends on who you consider to have instigated the events as to who you believe holds responsibility. As far as I'm concerned, none of those events were instigated by the STA, we reacted to events instigated by MK. They are free to do as they please and I don't use "instigated" as a negative except for the NSO issue. The only event the STA instigated was the betrayal of confidence incident which occurred when relations were already at a low ebb.

Betrayal of confidence issues aside, I am comfortable with what the STA has done with regards to the events you enquired about as are the rest of the alliance.

[quote name='Tygaland' timestamp='1301819341' post='2683361']

The deterioration was accelerated by an icident whereby the then deputy FA minister of the STA's confidence was betrayed by a member of the STA government. The information gained under that confidence was used as leverage to try and get a better result for the NSO. MK did not appreciate the support we gave NSO publicly over this incident and were irate at the public criticism we levelled at them over this issue. They were also unimpressed by the use of information gained under confidence as leverage. This also soured the relationship between the STA and the now former deputy FA minister and understadably so. As a result, MK washed their hands of their oversights during the treaty cancellation/re-signing period and relations have no improved since.

[/quote]

Very much this. This was not a good decision on our part, and was completely crappy and awful. I think every STAer involved in that, especially me, regrets it immensely.

What, if anything, have you guys taken away from this war on an alliance level? You guys were good opponents and respectful the whole time as far as I was concerned, so I'm glad to see you recovering nicely.

Edited by RustyNail

[quote name='RustyNail' timestamp='1301938159' post='2684057']
What, if anything, have you guys taken away from this war on an alliance level? You guys were good opponents and respectful the whole time as far as I was concerned, so I'm glad to see you recovering nicely.
[/quote]

Even bigger warchests

(I'm looking at you Rakari ;) )

What makes STA so capable of standing the tests of time while so many other alliances fail?

Is the (seemingly) stable environment on the white sphere uncomfortable for you?

Also, optional question because it serves little relevancy beyond my own selfish curiosity:
What do you think of the current political climate of CN? And is there one alliance in particular (regardless of political positioning) that you admire more than others, and why would that be?