Anyone else getting bored?

bobdd

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There's not much to do in cybernations and each day we're losing more and more players. All there really is to do is trade, aid, and war with roleplay as the most exciting thing that really happens. Events only come like once a month. Wars may be a slight way to make the game more entertaining for the bigger nations but they wreak havoc on the smaller ones and many times causes those small nations to leave the game. Everything is so 'official' and it gets boring with no major changes to the game except for new pictures, buttons, and wonders. Any comments? Arguments?

No, I am not getting bored. I'm here mostly for the politics anyway, the community and nation-building are bonuses.

Saying that, I do hope Admin shoves in some new improvements/wonders sometime soon. [img]http://forums.cybernations.net/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif[/img]

I wish the developers would add something from the suggestions thread with all the wonders and improvements. I imagine it must be really boring for the top nations that can't purchase any wonders or improvements and have dozens of improvement slots available.

I'm not bored with the gameplay, exactly; I'm bored because it's too slow. Right now, I can do four things involving my cybernation: arrange tech deals, arrange trade circle, pay bills, collect taxes. The first two I can do once, then they're done. They only require PMs and forums, anyway, and I'm stuck at the pace of the other parties.

So what I'm stuck doing is paying bills. That's all I can do! Literally my entire cybernations experience, until the one day a week I make some infra purchases, is paying bills. I can't even collect taxes, since it's inefficient to do that every day; for the same reason, I can't buy infrastructure or tech. I have hours of free time, and I'd like to devote them to my newest hobby and grow my nation... but all I can do is wait for update, then [b]pay bills[/b]!

At least give me some kind of mini-game that grows my nation minutely, or something! A "random event" button, a "random challenge" button... anything! My nation moves at a snail's pace and I want to manage something!

[quote name='bobdd' timestamp='1301761625' post='2682891']
There's not much to do in cybernations and each day we're losing more and more players. All there really is to do is trade, aid, and war with roleplay as the most exciting thing that really happens.
[/quote]
Well, what else would you like to do? What changes do you want to see?

Edited by Haklangr

Maybe some issues like in !@#$%*? or like you said, some mini-games. The only thing i do is pay bills and collect taxes. even the wars started getting boring because all it is is pressing the "Start battle" button and buying more military. No strategy. This probably isn't possible on this type of game, but it would be really fun if you could actually have a battle screen, direct your troops throughout the fight, telling them where to go, who to engage and what to do. that's probably too advanced for cybernations but you have to admit that'd make the game way more fun. Plus there's nothing to really define a nation in this game. All there is to tell one nation from another is basically its name and strength. the only choices we have to the culture of the game is small things like the gov. and religion, the ethnicity, and the gov. positions. no extra stuff like education, healthcare, holidays, crime, or customs and traditions. plus the citizens really don't do anything. They're just there. No protests, no civil wars, no uprisings, no special citizens or advisers, no criminals, no scientific discoveries, no assassination attempts, no racism, no discrimination, no calls for social or economic reform, they don't do anything except give you taxes. Maybe if they DID something, the game would be more entertaining.

Honestly, I know this will be strongly opposed - but the only way to really gain a mass of new people and possibly keep more active would be to have some sort of speed up thing. I know it kind of ruins the reality portion of it, but it definitely is more fun doing weeks worth of stuff in one day. Depends how you're view on it is though - Realistic >/< fun.

[quote name='bobdd' timestamp='1301940151' post='2684075']
No strategy. This probably isn't possible on this type of game, but it would be really fun if you could actually have a battle screen, direct your troops throughout the fight, telling them where to go, who to engage and what to do. that's probably too advanced for cybernations but you have to admit that'd make the game way more fun.[/quote]
Well, I wouldn't really like any sort of RTS element in Cyber Nations. Part of the reason I like this game is the slow-paced, cerebral, simple (tech-wise) feel to it. I would like to see a little more strategy, though... perhaps some more "moves", like "Flanking Attack", or even just making some of the little-used options (Dogfight?) more viable.

[quote]Plus there's nothing to really define a nation in this game. All there is to tell one nation from another is basically its name and strength. the only choices we have to the culture of the game is small things like the gov. and religion, the ethnicity, and the gov. positions. no extra stuff like education, healthcare, holidays, crime, or customs and traditions. plus the citizens really don't do anything. They're just there. No protests, no civil wars, no uprisings, no special citizens or advisers, no criminals, no scientific discoveries, no assassination attempts, no racism, no discrimination, no calls for social or economic reform, they don't do anything except give you taxes. Maybe if they DID something, the game would be more entertaining.
[/quote]
Yeah, definitely agreed. I always roleplay my nation to give it an identity, but I'd like it if there were some more in-game effects from this; perhaps being Viking, my people don't mind fighting wars as much, but also don't grow population as fast, or something.

If only the game started with a worldwide cap on land. As it stands, a nation can purchase as much land as they can afford. If each nation were to buy a max of 500 miles as an example, then they have a choice - stay as a peaceful nation and stunt their own growth, or gain more from military conquests.

An infinite world size is what makes this game feel monotonous.

Edited by Stanton

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bobdd' timestamp='1301761625' post='2682891']
There's not much to do in cybernations and each day we're losing more and more players. All there really is to do is trade, aid, and war with roleplay as the most exciting thing that really happens. Events only come like once a month. Wars may be a slight way to make the game more entertaining for the bigger nations but they wreak havoc on the smaller ones and many times causes those small nations to leave the game. Everything is so 'official' and it gets boring with no major changes to the game except for new pictures, buttons, and wonders. Any comments? Arguments?
[/quote]
I agree, ive been playing for 2 years and the game hasnt changed at all!

• 3 weeks later...

Im new to this game, but I think there should be world events, like tsunamies , global warming, flooding and earth quakes that happen on a massive scale. and every country has to either deal with it or help each other. I love the game, but I wish there was more to do on a daily basis.

[quote name='knighta' timestamp='1301769907' post='2682986']
I wish the developers would add something from the suggestions thread with all the wonders and improvements. I imagine it must be really boring for the top nations that can't purchase any wonders or improvements and have dozens of improvement slots available.
[/quote]
Adding improvements/wonders won't help ease the bored for large nations as they will just buy the improvements on day one and work on getting all the wonders that are addes with no problem at all.

The main issue with this game is that a nation is almost self sufficient and can join an alliance for some safety but otherwise it really takes no effort to grow a nation.

An actual economic system where actual resources are produced and sold would increase the playability of the game. Imagine a CN where you sold resources or distributed them within your alliance. Trade circle? LOL, trade circles don't work in real life. A nation should have a resource production efficiency and be able to sell them on an open market. You would have to balance your nations needs and purchase what it needs and develop your nation into a super power. Here in CN cash is king for long term wars, the more cash you have the longer you can fight. It should be that your war chest is really a resource chest. You would stock up resources in order to fight prolonged wars. Buying and selling technology is completely unrealistic. Imagine in real life the United States the big technological super power buying tech from Somalia or Ruwanda or Haiti? LOL, no the more advanced you want to be the more it is going to cost. End tech buying/selling and have it be direct purchase or have tech be raided out of nations, but dont have tech exchanges by foreign aid.

I like the game and will continue to play it but it needs a revamp and a reset to really be better.

Yeah, the boredom is just because it's too slow. I'd prefer peace periods as half as long and war periods half as long as well. But war and peace is just a grind, and the people who are most patient with building up or not surrendering will win. Like in RPGs, the strongest nation is the person who can do it the longest (or pay for in game benefits).

I'm also not fond of tech dealing. It helps newbies and makes a newbie an important part of an alliance, so you can't really brush it off, but it's incredibly boring for the buyers.

But hey, I've retired from the game, I'm just here to harass people on IRC and have something to talk about sometimes.

Lol @ people wanting more improvements/wonders to alleviate the boredom. If new improvements/wonders are released I'll just go *clickity click click* for 30 seconds and bam, that'll be enough fun to last me another 2 years! Maybe I'll mix it up and use the right mouse button to buy one of them, oh, I'm almost creaming my pants at the thought. :wub:

Edited by Viluin

• 1 month later...

Hey, if you're getting bored- turn off the computer, go outside and play for a while.

Or how about this: CODE YOUR OWN DAMN GAME.

Cybernations is what it is. I've been playing for 3 years and it's just as exciting as the day I found it.

If you want constant interaction with your nation, play Sim City or some other micromanagement game. CN is primarily a political maneuvering game with a good dose of drama. It takes time to unfold and requires the use of one's ambition and creativity, not button clicking abilities.

Consider this, Admin built this on a whim and then, after it's surprising popularity, invested a good chunk of his life trying to keep it going. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that constantly updating this game isn't exactly the most profitable use of his time. I suspect it pays for itself with ads and donations and that's about it. Maybe not even that. In the meantime, he probably has a full time job and an actual life. So with all the !@#$%*ing about improvements and changes, you're basically asking for someone to bend over backwards to do something for you for free.

And lastly, this game clearly delineates the difference between passivity and activity in terms of one's entertainment choice. Passivity is watching TV, or video games that require a lot of button pushing but not a lot of thought. Activity is when YOU get off your ass to create the drama-plays that entertain not only one's self but everyone that wants to get involved. It takes insight, analytical ability, leadership skill, and a sense of satisfaction that comes from seeing a project through to its completion.

So if you're bored- become an alliance leader who dominates the entire Planet of Bob with your hegemony of allies who crush any resistance to your rule.

I dare ya. Let's see how !@#$@#$ bored you'd be then.

Edited by Kzoppistan