Tabloid Tribune #163 - An NPO/MK Annoucement

[quote name='Azaghul' timestamp='1301968731' post='2684391']
Satirically and sarcastically criticizing someone is just about the worst way to get them to do what you want. If it wasn't trying to antagonize anyone, which I don't buy, it certainly appeared that way.
[/quote]
The end of silence for fear of persecution.

We will endure. We will prevail. We will bring about these ends.
[/quote]

Azaghul, my buddy, my old pal, why don't you take a time out. Just chill. Get with Ardus, figure out which it is, come back when you've got it straight. Everyone will appreciate it.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say you didn't do it "without cause", we contributed to it. But that doesn't change the results or the fact that you did it.

Satirically and sarcastically criticizing someone is just about the worst way to get them to do what you want. If it wasn't trying to antagonize anyone, which I don't buy, it certainly appeared that way.
[/quote]

Right. Like I said; I will admit that we have engaged in less than friendly banter between various alliances over the course of the two years. But you make it appear as if we were the ones that made those alliances become hostile. Which is not the case at all. They were already hostile and the only thing we did was react in kind. What you people are trying to say is that we should have let them be hostile to us while we try to play diplomacy in the background. Because we didn't do that; and instead we reacted with hostility to everybody's provocations, we deserved this war. Which is crap.

You see, I buy the "NPO antagonized everybody so you deserve it" argument as much as you buy the "we weren't trying to antagonize anyone" argument. I don't think for one second that you care whether or not our rhetoric is acrimonious. MK et al are not ones to get their feelings hurt through banter.

[quote name='Jrenster' timestamp='1301971024' post='2684413']
Right. Like I said; I will admit that we have engaged in less than friendly banter between various alliances over the course of the two years. But you make it appear as if we were the ones that made those alliances become hostile. Which is not the case at all. They were already hostile and the only thing we did was react in kind. What you people are trying to say is that we should have let them be hostile to us while we try to play diplomacy in the background. Because we didn't do that; and instead we reacted with hostility to everybody's provocations, we deserved this war. Which is crap.

You see, I buy the "NPO antagonized everybody so you deserve it" argument as much as you buy the "we weren't trying to antagonize anyone" argument. I don't think for one second that you care whether or not our rhetoric is acrimonious. MK et al are not ones to get their feelings hurt through banter.
[/quote]
In general, people tend to want to fight people who they dislike, especially when they are hostile and antagonize them. It sets the stage for wars. You didn't "deserve" this war in that sense but you set yourselves up on a side to be involved in one.

OOC: Wars are what drive this game, it isn't about just having wars when someone "deserves it" but to have wars. The CBs are usually little more than pretexts.

[quote name='Azaghul' timestamp='1301974167' post='2684447']
You didn't "deserve" this war in that sense but you set yourselves up on a side to be involved in one.[/quote]
Well, at least were making progress and we have a headline for next edition: "Doomhouse gadfly admits NPO didn't deserve current war"

[quote name='Azaghul' timestamp='1301974167' post='2684447']
In general, people tend to want to fight people who they dislike, especially when they are hostile and antagonize them. It sets the stage for wars. You didn't "deserve" this war in that sense but you set yourselves up on a side to be involved in one.

OOC: Wars are what drive this game, it isn't about just having wars when someone "deserves it" but to have wars. The CBs are usually little more than pretexts.
[/quote]

That was more or less what I was hinting at what I, and basically everyone else, believes Doomhouse's reasons for war are. You can say that you just wanted to have fun. People will criticize you regardless of what your reasons are, so there's really no reason to try to hide that underneath a pile of loose arguments like "NPO hasn't changed" or "you were friendly to us".

[quote name='Brehon' timestamp='1301769659' post='2682979']
Obviously your mother never taught you if you got nothing nice to say don't say anything at all.
[/quote]

Well I dont know what happened to kingzog, but I am in agreement with that. Which is why I have nothing to say on the subject myself.

[quote name='Brehon' timestamp='1301769698' post='2682981']
Yes Cortath did indeed step down.
[/quote]

That's good news at least, I suppose.

[quote name='Bob Janova' timestamp='1301772929' post='2683006']
Ok there were a couple of excellent turns of phrase in this one.
[/quote]

Indeed.

[quote name='Azaghul' timestamp='1301967812' post='2684382']
Yes, there has been. Your official publications have been doing it non-stop and your side does it every time we do almost anything.
[/quote]

Actually, that is not true. This is a collection of NPO publications since 2010:

[quote]
Official Publications that do not talk about Karma:
PNN March 3 2010
PNN March 15 2010
PNN October 12th, 2010
PNN December 20th, 2010

Unofficial Publications that do not talk about Karma:
Tabloid Tribune, January 11th, 2010
Tabloid Tribune, February 13th 2010
Tabloid Tribune March 16, 2010
Tabloid Tribune June 12th, 2010
Tabloid Tribune August 14th, 2010
Tabloid Tribune December 24th, 2010
Tabloid Tribune March 20th, 2011

Official Publications that talk about Karma or its Reps, [b][i]whilst NPO is paying them[/i][/b]:
PNN January 23rd, 2010
PNN April 19 2010
PNN May 3rd

Official Publications that talk about Karma after NPO is done paying reps:
PNN June 7th *

*End of terms edition

Official Publications that talk about Karma, [b][i]after NPO was attacked in this war[/i][/b]
PNN February 3rd, 2011
PNN March 3rd, 2011

Unofficial Publications that talk about Karma, [b][i]after NPO was attacked in this war[/i][/b]
Tabloid Tribune, February 7th, 2011
[/quote]

I might have missed one or two, but the picture that emerges is quite clearly that they have only talked about Karma [i]after[/i] this last war started, or they talked about it whilst we were actually paying reps from it, which for us was quite obviously talking about current events for the time.

Of course, that last part is where we get an important dichotomy: an alliance which fought a war a year ago is likely to perceive any mention of its consequences as ancient history; an alliance that has spent that same year paying those consequences would view said consequences as very current history.

And interestingly enough, those publications that do reference Karma mainly tend to fall into the categories of status updates and "in memoriam". The instances of it being used to assert some character flaw for the "other side" are rather few.

Edited by Letum

[quote name='Sir Paul' timestamp='1301974398' post='2684451']
gadfly
[/quote]
That'll be $1,000,000 in reps.

[quote name='Letum' timestamp='1301997168' post='2684570']
Actually, that is not true. This is a collection of NPO publications since 2010:

I might have missed one or two, but the picture that emerges is quite clearly that they have only talked about Karma [i]after[/i] this last war started, or they talked about it whilst we were actually paying reps from it, which for us was quite obviously talking about current events for the time.

Of course, that last part is where we get an important dichotomy: an alliance which fought a war a year ago is likely to perceive any mention of its consequences as ancient history; an alliance that has spent that same year paying those consequences would view said consequences as very current history.

And interestingly enough, those publications that do reference Karma mainly tend to fall into the categories of status updates and "in memoriam". The instances of it being used to assert some character flaw for the "other side" are rather few.
[/quote]
You can take your analysis and cram it wear the truth don't shine. NPO has been trying to make MK attack them for 6 years.

[quote name='Jrenster' timestamp='1301906162' post='2683908']
Why does VE let you post?
[/quote]

We don't gag our members as a general rule, but yea, must say I didn't get that one either :ph34r:

Also, [i]great read as always, Sir Paul!!1!1![/i]

Edited by Il Impero Romano

[quote name='Schattenmann' timestamp='1301968634' post='2684390']
This "your side" crap is so broad that it borders on asinine. So now NPO is liable for all the Coke/Pepsi Karma jokes and meet-the-new-boss-same-as-the-old-boss complaints over the past two years? Am I on NPO's ~side~ now because I'm [u]still[/u] against imperialist aggression after 4 years? And if I am, whose fault is that? Certainly not NPO's for getting attacked out of the blue by a bunch of paranoids; most certainly not mine or anyone else's who have objective political beliefs.
What is the criteria, anyway, for deciding "sides?" Is it treaties? So Rok is on NPO's side because of treaty chains, but RnR isn't? Is it ideology? CB and NPO are both anti-raiding, are they on the same side now? I can't think of any more poorly instituted term in all my years.
This obtuse word "side" doesn't even belong in serious discourse, it is juvenile--what, are we all playing Red Rover? It doesn't mean anything because it means anything; people like you just throw it around like some magical mark to make people your enemy. Why don't you just start saying "NPO and other people with cooties."
[/quote]

Oh, Schattenman. You know as well as the rest of us that you take whichever side will gain you the most attention and notoriety.

[quote name='Schattenmann' timestamp='1301972437' post='2684435']
NPO did not send me a cartoon character valentine's card during the class party this year, I demand accountability for this slight!
[/quote]

Apologies Scatt, I take full responsibility. I've been a bit distracted lately, but I have been sending plenty to dh's soldiers :P

[img]http://theneedleandthegroove.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/St-Valentines-Day-Massacre_Front.png[/img]

Edited by William Bonney

[quote name='Crymson' timestamp='1302024675' post='2684771']
Oh, Schattenman. You know as well as the rest of us that you take whichever side will gain you the most attention and notoriety.
[/quote]
If you're going to insist on following me around trying to score points, I'm going to have to insist that you do it well.

[quote name='Schattenmann' timestamp='1302025351' post='2684788']
If you're going to insist on following me around trying to score points, I'm going to have to insist that you do it well.
[/quote]

Nice try. Maybe try again sometime?

[quote name='Crymson' timestamp='1302024675' post='2684771']
[/quote]

Oh, [s]Schattenman[/s] Crymson. You know as well as the rest of us that you [s]take[/s] suck like a leech whichever side [s]will gain you the most attention and notoriety.[/s] is in power and will enable you to cling to your pixels.

[quote name='JustIncredible' timestamp='1302041449' post='2684998']
Oh, [s]Schattenman[/s] Crymson. You know as well as the rest of us that you [s]take[/s] suck like a leech whichever side [s]will gain you the most attention and notoriety.[/s] is in power and will enable you to cling to your pixels.
[/quote]

I'd rather see people switch sides and change things up, as opposed to just staying the the same spot in the treaty web. It makes wars and politics much more exciting to watch.

[quote name='Felix von Agnu' timestamp='1302045140' post='2685036']
I'd rather see people switch sides and change things up, as opposed to just staying the the same spot in the treaty web. It makes wars and politics much more exciting to watch.
[/quote]

in b4 VE-NPO MDAP?