Fort Beihai Conference

Triyun

Fort Beihai had bee significantly expanding its facilities now that it occupied nearly the entire Southern Alaskan Peninsula. While most of the facility was the monolithic soviet style architecture of the People's Liberation Army forces, the Foreign Ministry had built a very nice European alpine style lake side complex on Canoe Bay which was home for both visiting UFE Officials, Foreign Officials, and Chinese companies which had setup operations in Alaska. The Canoe Guesthouse as it was called was a spacious complex of 5 star lodges which would appear a winter resort if not for the massive array of secure communications equipment on the far side of the complex betraying its business not pleasure purposes.

Diplomatic credentials to land in the Fort Beihai and come here would be issues to Pravus Ingruo for 20 representatives, to accommodate the Emperor and his aides. Another 20 credentials were issued to the Austrian Empire's representatives. As this was a military installation, Fort Beihai was closed completely to Foreign Press and other powers aside from the foreign military officers of allies who served active duty on the base.

The military air strip where the diplomats would be credentialed to land would have two climate controlled hangars built for high officials made available for their planes to land without being exposed to the harsh cold. A underground subway system would link the hangers to the Canoe Guesthouse which was secured by a Mountain Infantry Combat Brigade Team.

Imperator Jia would spend the morning inspecting the troops at Fort Beihai as he rarely visited the base due to its remoteness and cold, but would return to the Guesthouse for discussions in the afternoon when the PI and Austrian representatives were expected to arrive.

From Boise both the Empress and the Grand Duchess would fly north to the Chinese complex located on the Alaskan peninsula. Aboard the plane were some numbers of aides and ministers from the United Kingdom's parliament. The Austrian delegation hoped that through Chinese mediation, given that Austria and Pravus Inguro were allied with the Federation, the dialogue would be more relaxed and friendly then the first message received from Pravus Inguro about Austrian expansion in North America. As the plane landed, Maria and Angelika both would greet Imperator Jia and exchange the normal pleasantries. The state of the Federation, the sisters' thanks for holding the conference on Chinese territory and of course how things were going for Theresia back in Asia.

"Well, we're both very excited to begin Imperator." Said Maria after they had reached the Guesthouse as she looked out over the gorgeous Alaskan horizon. "I do hope my sister and I haven't caused you and your people too much trouble with the events in North America. But I hope to repay the gesture as soon as I possibly can. Hopefully this meeting goes well, I'd hate to see North America and the rest of the world plunged into war from the failures of the past Idahoan Regime."

"Your sister sends her regards, I am glad you came, it is good to see you again... your imperial highness?" Jia said guessing at Maria's title. "And your grace, it is good to see you, I understand this is your second trip here." Jia said to Angelika. "I hope we can avoid needless bloodshed between friends of the Federation. We have no interest in seeing the start of a world war in the Pacific unless of course the Federation is the one who starts it." he chuckled. "Please take a seat. Can we get you something to eat or drink?" he asked them gesturing them to the chairs of the lodge lounge.

"Our forces will not engage with the Pravus Ingruo forces, I am a man of honor when it comes to political agreements. But I have pre-positioned the units necessary to defend your realms in the even that other powers attempt to act against you. Our navy and marines will keep the East Pacific clear of any aggressors."

Edited by Triyun

"This is stupid, Thomas. We should have just stuck to our original declaration for them to meet in our territory. I mean, hell, the Chinese are moving into America themselves. They are supporting the Austrians now. Have you seen the satellite reports from the Pacific?"

"I've seen the reports out of Guam Arthur. But we are in between a rock and a hard place here. The old school hard ball politics of you and Harland don't work today. We aren't the way we were before. We don't even have a !@#$@#$ navy anymore. We can't simply mouth off to whomever about staying off our continent. Where is our Tahoe, Arthur? Where is our Viniland? Hell, where is our pre-War of Survival Pravus Ingruo? They are not here... they do not exist. And neither is the unity that marked the era of Tahoe, Viniland, and Pravus Ingruo. The Holy American Empire are pigs. They are leeches. They latch on to whatever world power is dominant at the moment and will use that to ensure their survival. They cannot be trusted."

"So what do you expect this meeting to accomplish, Thomas? Are we to merely bow to the imperialistic and colonial whims of Europe and Asia?"

"Time, Arthur. All we need is time."

When their plane landed at Fort Beihai, Thomas and Arthur disembarked. Thomas was wearing a sharp black three piece suit with a black skinny long tie. Arthur was wearing an older grey two button suit with a navy blue bow tie. His glasses were on and he leaned heavily on his cane as he walked.

As they made it to the conference room, Thomas saw the Empress and Grand Duchess already there, along with the Imperator. He pulled out Arthur's seat for him, but chose to stand behind the seat marked as his own.

"Excellencies... shall we dispense with the usual banter and pleasantries and begin?"

"I am fine with that." Jia said. "The United Federation of the East has no desire to see either of you come to blows. At the same time we wish to see the North East Pacific as stable. We see the Pacific Rim as much our community as we see Asia as our community. Had current trends continued prior to this incident we'd have been at war in Western North America within the year." Jia said candidly.

"The United Federation of the East therefore would like to see some sort of arrangement that both Austria whom we consider to be a more reliable presence and our allies in Pravus Ingruo can accept. So lets have a candid conversation. How can we avoid this !@#$fest."

"Our government in the former United Kingdom," began Angelika, "Is in the process of holding a referendum as the community of North American nations requested of us. After that vote is cast then we will have a closer look at the opinions of our people, whether they desire Austrian rule and protection, of protection of one of the North American states. I realize that a lot of problems have risen from the transfer of power, but I can assure all of you that it was a legal move and that I only have the best intentions for the people who I govern. As someone who has lived in the United Kingdom for over a year, I can tell each on of you, the leadership was a proverbial nightmare. Wars over polar bears, constant emotional outbursts, the xenophobia to nearly the entire world, I can back up Imperator Jia's words, there would have been a war and thousand of people would have died, all for a polar bear nature reserve.

When I arrived here over a year ago, I believe you all remember that he United Kingdom was ruled by the Moore Family. These kings were worse than the Chadwick regime, but under Franklyn, I was able to at least tone down the emotion, attempt to seek foreign friendship. Even you Emperor Atkinson-Asgeirsson, the night at your ball. I have done everything in my power to try and mold the United Kingdom into a modern and respectable power and now that I have been given that chance, Austria can continue to provide resources and reform to this shattered nation.

What Austria asks of Pravus Inguro is simply one thing, that once the referendum passes that you will respect those people who desire Austrian rule. We did not come here to subjugate those who do not seek our protection and those areas can be released to Ingurian protection. However, it is completely ludicrous to say that everyone in the former United Kingdom is against our rule. We did not take over the United Kingdom through war, or through subterfuge. I was given leadership because the former Kingdom's parliament saw me as the only capable leader and Austria as the only friendly capable country. But as I said, any territory and region voting against to Austrian rule will be given to Pravus Inguro. I believe that is fair, is it not?"

Before Thomas could open his mouth to reply, Arthur scoffed first. "The parliament is incompetent to appoint a foreign leader over their lands. And the only thing we want you to do is to get..."

"Arthur, another outburst like that and I'll have you leave the room." Thomas' voice cut through the old man's. The firebrand maverick glared up at the younger leader, with his slicked back hair and crisp suit. Muttering, Arthur suddenly stood, slamming the bottom of his cane against the ground, and marched out the door as quickly as he was able. Thomas turned back to the others at the table.

"Imperator, please send some men to make sure he gets back to the plane alright. The last thing I need is to deal with him and a broken hip." Thomas chuckled and looked down, leaning a little bit more on the chair. "The problem with the Regent, however, is that while he is stuck in the "glory days", if you will, of Ingruian politics, he does represent a majority of opinion in the country at this time. The people of the country are not happy concerning these movements, and I frankly don't blame them. For generations we have fought to keep America clear of foreign influence. And now it seems as if all those years of fighting are for naught simply because of an incompetent government and over zealous foreign leaders."

"If I may speak freely with all of you, many of the nations of the world today are whores. They are pigs and whores. One only needs to look to the Holy American Empire to see this on display. Looking at their recent statement, they deny they have ever fought to clear North American of foreign occupiers for that reason alone, and say that an Empire who condemns imperialism is no Empire at all. Pravus Ingruo is indeed an Empire, ladies and gentlemen, and we are not opposed to this move in the sense of condemning imperialism. The people are opposed to this move because it brings European forces to America. I am opposed to this move because of the [i]specific[/i] European forces it brings to America."

"While you may have lived here for over a year, Grand Duchess, I have lived here for many more than that and Pravus Ingruo was dealing with the incompetence and war mongering, land hungry nature of Idaho-Montana well before your nation even existed, Empress. With the collapse of Disparu, and the URSR, there has been no viable nation to lead this continent. Many have turned to Pravus Ingruo to be that leader, and it is with this burden that we stepped up many times to halt the Moore regime, and later the Chadwick regime. But one thing that did not change over from the Moores to the Chadwicks was the Parliament. It may be hard to believe that a collective group could be just as incompetent, or, dare I say, more incompetent than Moore and Chadwick, but somehow Idaho-Montana found them and stuck them all in a room and called it Parliament."

"For this reason, the people, and a majority of the government, of Pravus Ingruo cannot find the transfer of power to the Grand Duchess, and by proxy the Empress, to be legitimate. It would be like needing the code to stop a nuclear missile from launching and having a child tell you a random string of numbers and letters."

"Therefore, your solution to have a plebiscite is probably the only acceptable solution, bar you leaving completely. However, I will have to ask for certain conditions to be placed on this plebiscite and the future land that Austria holds in North America."

"First, Imperial and Chinese election observers will be present to ensure the election is carried out fairly. While I trust you are able to run an election smoothly and with a minimal amount of fraud, your Excellencies, this will be more for my own people and other North American nations, to placate them. Second, all foreign military forces, besides those of the UFE and Austria, will leave Austrian territory in North America prior to the completion of elections. I've seen reports of both the Germans and Athenians in your land. Expelling those forces and not allowing them to return will go a long way towards convincing the people of the Empire and other North American nations that the Austrian land will not become a "jumping off point" into North America for land hungry European nations. We will, of course, honor the outcome of a fair and monitored plebiscite." Thomas looked up as he smiled at the Empress, Grand Duchess, and the Imperator.

"Please understand, the trepidation and harshness of our initial statement was pure necessity on my part. While rebuilding this is a delicate time for the Empire. Having it thrown into turmoil over one of my foreign policy decisions would be... unhelpful at best. It is not necessarily that I do not trust either of your nations, quite the contrary as a matter of fact. It is that I do not trust your allies, namely the Athenians, the Holy American Empire, and the Germans... in that order. I suspect ulterior motives for their rush to bring forces to North America, so their expulsion is really a point that I cannot budge on."

Maria and Angelika sat silent as Regent Sinclair gave his outburst and then was asked politely to leave the room, they looked at each other rather nervously, neither one privy to such breaching of the diplomatic code of behavior. Back in Austria, they thought, even one's worst enemy held himself to high regard. Things were definitely different in America, perhaps the rumors of everyone in government behaving like John Wayne were right. The sister's hoped though that the Australian born Thomas, would be much more agreeable and pleasant to listen to; even if he was on the same track mind as the Regent. It turned out that by the end of his speech, they were convinced and both sisters smiled widely as he motioned to them that he had finished his talk.

"One of the main reasons that so many of our allies were brought in Your Highness, Thomas," Angelika started, "Was because of the way North America reacted to the transfer of power. Not that the action was unexpected, but you cannot blame us for playing on the safe side. As far as both I and Maria are concerned, this is sovereign Austrian territory and will be defended, until the referendum proves or disproves our claim. That said," she continued, "I have no problems in allowing Chinese and Imperial observers for this referendum, but that is it, I don't want observers from Maine, from the Confederation of American States, and what have you. We trust the Empire's allies, bar the Federation, as much as you might trust the Athenians and Holy Americans.

However the problem I have with your other proposal Highness, if our allies leave, and the UFE is unable to engage your forces, you and your allies can simply waltz into Austrian North America and seize our territory. Not that I believe that you would do such a thing as to double-cross our people after you've shown such hospitality, but the outburst of your Regent as well as the behavior of your allies, I am rather hesitant about allied withdrawing so soon. Perhaps after the referendum we can cut down on allied strength in Austrian North American, but even then, I would rather it be a gradual withdraw as we integrate ourselves into North American politics.

I assure you that these troops are here for defensive purposes, but if this still is a problem, perhaps de-militarized zones could be established sometime in the future to quell both European and North American distrust."

Edited by Sarah Tintagyl

Thomas smiled softly. "Please, can we dispense with the "Your Highness"s? The only title I've ever been comfortable with is that of my rank when I was a pilot. Thomas does quite nicely, thank you." For the first time, the young Emperor pulled out his chair and sat. He unbuttoned his jacket, fully exposing his vest, and leaned forward with his elbows on the table.

"The main problem with your argument is that we have no American allies. We actually do not have any treaties with any nation in North or South America. The only two treaties my country currently holds are MDoAPs with the United Kingdom of Celts, Franks, and Russ, or whatever they are calling themselves these days, and the UFE. Harland liked to play it close to the vest... he said fewer treaties meant fewer entanglements, fewer complications, fewer ways things can go wrong. In part, I agree with him. But we also have no treaties with any American nations because we cannot be certain of their intentions, or their willingness to do what is necessary."

"To that end, it is why I cannot budge on your allies needing to leave the former territory of the United Kingdom. You must understand the position we are in. One of our allies is locked up, unable to assist should any... unpleasantness occur, and the other is in Europe, surrounded by you and your allies, including one who it seems would like nothing more than to see them dead. I am speaking of the Athenians, of course. At some point in the future I would like to see Austrian troops in the territory brought down to minimum levels, of course what the definition of "minimum" is is another discussion for another time."

"Unfortunately, your country also holds a treaty with a supremacy clause, which would render any agreement between our two nations useless should an inopportune situation arise. Therefore, any treaty that we sign would have to hold a clause either negating other supremacy clauses or establishing our treaty as supreme over those supremacy clauses. I'm sorry if all of this sounds confusing, but it really is the only way to describe it."

"I have not discussed this with Arthur or anyone else in the government, but the good part about being Emperor is that I don't have to. I'm prepared to offer you a SNAPD treaty, which would stand for Supreme Non-Aggression Pact/Defense. It would not be a full-blown Mutual Defense Pact... I will not sign one of those until I get to know your nation better and your intentions on the North American continent better. However, it will state that this treaty takes precedence over any others signed before or in the future, that we will not attack each other, and that should any North American nation attack you, we will defend you, and should any of your allies attack us, you will defend us. I believe that such a treaty would go a long way towards dispelling both of our fears about each other."

"Well I would be willing to entertain the treaty with Pravus Inguro after the referendum takes place. Needless to say Thomas, everything hinges on how the people vote in this election. Perhaps you won't even have us in your hair anymore, though by the sound if it, Pravus Inguro could probably benefit from an Austrian alliance. That said, launching this election is the most important part of these talks, the longer chaos ensues in both North America and our Austrian territory, the worse it is for the people actually living in the former United Kingdom. Trade has gone down, people are grumbling, and the borders need reopened, now you say that we are not able to have our allies, aside from the Federation present,"

Angelika turned to Jia, "Then Imperator I assume that the Chinese Army will be able to pick up the slack that Athens, Holy America, and Germany are not allowed to hold? What are your opinions on the situation?"

"Also," she added quickly, "Austria will be the one to decide Austrian troop levels in our own sovereign territory. We will not dictate what you place in your protectorates, we expect the same generosity in our own land."

"Could we secure some of the interior operations? Yes. Could we do border security operations to a point that I would feel comfortable holding a referendum free of foreign interference? No. I would propose that the foreign troops have their logistical roles and their roles within population centers taken over by the PLA before the referendum, have them solely deployed to secure the border areas away from most of the people. We need a secure border and none of those three powers could go on the offensive without the UFE giving them a secure logistical supply line. If they backstabbed an ally of the UFE we would not.

I agree that the referendum needs to be held sooner rather than later. The UFEs financial markets are also adversely effected by this uncertainty. We need to resolve this situation quickly. I think that keeping foreign troops (save for the PLA) away from population centers and on the borders, having the PLA take over logistics, having foreign troops protecting the border, and having UFE and PI election monitors to certify the referendum is a situation which we can logistically do on a faster time schedule. Further since we have strong military to military relationships with all the objectionable powers, we could put forward a proposal to put them under a UFE commander, and keep the upper command and control systems under UFE command. With this there would be further difficulty for them to conduct any sort of expeditionary capability, as I have no interest long term in a huge UFE ground footprint or supporting anyone else in a huge footprint long term." Jia said.

Edited by Triyun

"Unacceptable." The word was not spat, but was short, clipped, and cut through the conversation like a knife. "I'm not sure you understand the situation, Angelika. Maria. American politics are much different from those of Europe. American nations have a healthy paranoia for all European influence in their affairs, and for good reason. The longer your allies stay, in any capacity, the further destabilized the situation becomes. Moving them towards the borders will only increase our problems, not decrease them."

"The treaty I am offering will end your need for your allied protection now, not weeks from now. North American nations will not attack you if we are pledging to defend you. I can have two armies ready in the Canadian protectorate to defend your borders in under a week. Further, I can offer the help of civilian police forces and engineers to keep things running to free Federation forces to guard the borders if you wish. They will be instructed to simply do their jobs, and not talk about the election in any way as to not sway opinion."

"Further, I am not attempting to dictate troop levels in your territory to you. I am merely relaying what I, along with other North American leaders would like to see in an act of good faith towards North American nations obviously already wary of your presence here."

"I understand your trepidation about not having your allies here, Angelika, but you must understand our trepidation at having them here. Historically, Europeans on American soil has only led to strife and bloodshed. Based on the actions of your allies thus far, I do not see why this time will be any different. Ask the Federation. We are a trustworthy nation. We do not back down from our commitments. But we are also strong willed and ready to fight for what we believe in. As I said previously, the matter of your allies, save the UFE, on This continent is something that I simply cannot budge on."

Ooc: written on the itouch, sorry for any errors.

"Very well then," nodded Angelika. "I will instruct for the Germans and Athenians to pull back and vacate the country. In return however, the pledge of friendship between Austria and Pravus Inguro should, I feel, be matched by some form of official documentation. While I had previously thought of the signing of your Supreme Treaty to occur after the referendum, I feel that it should be done now and we can begin to work on this friendship, you and I. I feel that we are each giving up a great deal of what holds our nations and alliances together, but hopefully out of that, we can create a much stronger friendship that will keep North America stable.

Can we agree to that Thomas?"

"I had intended to have some sort of document signed before I left here today." Thomas pulled out a tablet computer and set it on the table, spinning it before pushing it over towards the sisters. "That is the SNAPD treaty I was talking about. The document is able to be edited, so please inform me of any changes that you feel need to be made and we can make them prior to printing this bad boy out and signing it." Thomas chuckled slightly as he leaned back in his seat. "Also, I'll need to know how many troops you would need to feel safe from any invasion. They will be staying in our territory, of course, but close enough to provide a quick assist should other North American nations not toe the party line."

The young Emperor and former pilot closed his eyes for a minute and then looked at the sisters. "Look, I know that neither one of you are happy with this arrangement. Frankly, neither am I. But that means we did it right. We each gave up something near and dear to us to reach a compromise and an agreement that will avert war for the foreseeable future." A beep alerted the Emperor as he checked his secure mobile phone.

"Oh dear, looks like we've just been buggered." He typed out a quick response and sent it back. "Looks like the Europeans just want American land all over. England and Maine just merged." He rolled his eyes and turned to their host. "Imperator, you wouldn't happen to have anything strong to drink on this base, would you? Something along the lines of a hard scotch? I've got the feeling I'm going to need it. And we've just averted a war... I feel that is always a reason to get good and drunk."

OOC: Treaty in rough form below
[quote][center]Brave New Worlds
A SNAPD Treaty

[b]Preamble[/b]
There are times that test every leader throughout history, and history will ultimately judge those leaders not by their actions, but by the consequences of those actions. It is with that eye towards history and towards the present, that this treaty is signed in good faith by the two parties.

[b]Article I[/b]
This treaty holds supremacy over any treaty that the signatories have signed before, and any they will sign in the future. No other treaty with a supremacy clause signed by either of the signatories will trump this treaty so long as they are both in existence.

[b]Article II[/b]
The signatories pledge not to engage in any hostile actions towards each other. They will not attempt to disrupt or interfere with each others trade in any way. They will not attempt to disrupt or interfere with each others internal nation workings in any way. They will not engage in any subterfuge or intelligence action against one another. They will not take any outright military action against one another, nor by proxy.

[b]Article III[/b]
The Empire of Pravus Ingruo pledges to defend Austria from any attacks made by North American nations, regardless of treaty status with said attacking nations. This does not apply to attackers not from the North American continent, though the Empire is encouraged to defend in those situations as well. Austria pledges to defend Pravus Ingruo from any attacks made by Austria's allies on the Empire, regardless of treaty status with said attacking nations. This does not apply to attackers not allied to Austria, though Austria is encouraged to defend in those situations as well.

[b]Article IV[/b]
This treaty may only be canceled when giving two month's advance notice to the other party. During that two month period, all other Articles of the treaty still apply. If agreed to by both parties, the two month period may be waived.

[b]Signed, for Pravus Ingruo,

Signed, for Austria,

Signed, as witness to this signing,[/b]

[/center][/quote]

Maria looked over the treaty and while at first her head nodded approvingly as she reached Article III, the Empress' calm features began to frown. "Emper-...Thomas, while I understand the reasons for this article, you said it yourself that Pravus Inguro is not allied to any of the North American nations. This Article seems to be nothing more than to trap us into fighting against Athens or Germany if in the future something would push your nations to war, correct me if I'm wrong, but this feels more as you're using my sister, and I as bargaining chips rather than sovereign leaders. Perhaps if North America was bit more united I could understand the reasoning, however, it feels as though we're debating on unequal ground in terms of allies and friendships. Both Angelika and I want a friendship with Pravus Inguro, but not if it is going to cost us our friendships with nations such as Athens and Germany, who you have said it yourself, you don't trust."

"The problem is, what if down the road, after all these colonial problems have been solved, a war erupts? I would be happy to defend you and your nation, but against my own allies? Especially after you said it yourself, we know barely anything about our nations. If perhaps we could discuss things with Athens, Germany, Holy America, and so forth about our relationships, then perhaps this treaty could come into light. However, I cannot in goodwill sign this treaty as it stands now. Firstly, I would be betraying my friends in Athens, Holy America, and Germany, by saying that if war would come, I will fight against them. Secondly, I would be betraying you and your people, knowing that I couldn't pick up arms against my friends."

Angelika rested a hand on Maria's shoulder and looked over at Thomas. "Perhaps, though, there is some salvaging here, Thomas. Maybe we could enter into a Mutual Defense Pact now. To be honest, with the recent changes in Europe, the colonization of Maine, and the alliance of Russia, Scotland, and Ireland, I doubt neither Athens or Germany would want to start a fight with you and I'm sure the feeling is mutual on your end, Thomas. Both Austria and the Federation have rather strong ties with Athens and Germany, we can keep them from making aggressive moves against Pravus Inguro and focus on other tasks at hand. Stability in Europe, and keeping war out of North America. Perhaps even we can get the entire lot of us talking, improve relations. What do you think? Because I have to side with my sister here, we cannot in good faith sign the treaty with Article III the way it is."

A momentary frown crossed over the Emperor's face before it was erased. One could almost see the wheels turning in his head as he weighed certain possibilities against each other. Cause and effect, that's what he dealt in. But more so, he dealt in odds. Even though pilots all loved to say "Never tell me the odds!", it was merely because most of the time they had to say that, they already knew how bad the odds already were. After a few seconds, Thomas responded.

"I understand where you are coming from. Personally, I feel opposite the way that you do. I feel this puts us in a worse position than you because of the fact that we are not allied to any of these North American nations. We do not have their ear in terms of making suggestions to their foreign policy as you would have with the Germans or Athenians. We are, in my opinion, risking far more than you are concerning that Article."

"However, I also cannot sign a Mutual Defense Pact at this time with your nation. Saying that as soon as I landed back in the Empire the politicians and public would want my head is an understatement. Therefore... if I may..." The Emperor snagged the tablet and began tapping away at the screen furiously, quickly re-writing a section of the treaty.

"Allow me to present the new Article IV. Article III stays the same, but Article IV gives this treaty a definitive length, which our nations can use to further our relations. At the end of that period of time, it is mandated by the treaty that our nations meet for discussions on a permanent treaty. We will also, if you wish, add in a line in Article III that states we will defend you from attacks by any North American nation or our allies during the period of the SNAPD treaty. Would that, ladies, make the treaty more acceptable to you?"

OOC:

Article III (revised)
The Empire of Pravus Ingruo pledges to defend Austria from any attacks made by North American nations (or allies of Pravus Ingruo), regardless of treaty status with said attacking nations. This does not apply to attackers not from the North American continent (or nations that are not allies of Pravus Ingruo), though the Empire is encouraged to defend in those situations as well. Austria pledges to defend Pravus Ingruo from any attacks made by Austria's allies on the Empire, regardless of treaty status with said attacking nations. This does not apply to attackers not allied to Austria, though Austria is encouraged to defend in those situations as well.

Article IV (revised)
This treaty shall last for six months. There is no cancellation clause. The signatories are to use this six month period as a time to further diplomatic relations between the two countries. At the end of this six month period, or before should both signatories will it, a meeting will be held to determine the status of a future, permanent treaty between the two signatories.

Maria and Angelika looked at each other, said a few choice words in German, on the lines of necessity and anxiety before turning back to Thomas and nodding simultaneously. "This is something I think we can agree with much more than the last proposal," began Maria, "the fact that this agreement is not forever binding will make it much more favorable to maintaining a truthful relationship with our allies, as well as remaining in good faith with you and your government. Though if I may as a person question, Thomas, the world is rather hectic and while I can keep the Germans and Athenians at bay, because I really do believe we each are taking a rather large risk with this treaty. With tension in Europe rising, especially between Athens and the new United Kingdom in Europe, and you and I on separate allied sides in that conflict, what would happen if war brakes out there? Where are the sides drawn?" Maria sighed, "I don't mean to pester you with questions, but I'd rather discuss these potential problems now, rather than in the future when every second could possibly save lives.

What happens in the event of a world war?" Her eyes were solemn, strong-willed, and bright. "Aside from of course that we pray."

Thomas leaned back in his chair again, now really wishing that he had that drink. It would have been a good time for a slow, dramatic sip. He had understood what the sisters had said in German, though he didn't let on about it. His mother, when she had been Queen, had at least made sure that he and his twin sister were fluent in the major languages of the world, which included German, French, English, Mandarin, and Spanish. Well, Alice was fluent in almost all of those. Thomas could understand all of them well enough, though Spanish and Mandarin still gave him some trouble, but his speaking of any besides English was rusty at best.

"In the event of a World War, we do exactly what the treaty states. We would not attack each other, and if the treaty forced our troops to fight on both sides, then that is what we would have to do. I would hope, however, that this treaty would allow our two nations to act as the mouthpieces of negotiation for our respective sides." Thomas leaned forward. "Obviously, since this treaty is not chaining, we could not be brought onto the other side that way, nor would we be forced to defend each other if the other nation made aggressive moves first. For instance, if we attacked the Athenians you would not be obligated to defend us if the Germans counter-attacked. Nor would we be obligated to defend you if you attacked a North American nation or the United Kingdom and then got attacked for it." An exasperated sigh followed as the young Emperor looked to the ceiling.

"While I obviously hope to avoid war, I can see the clouds forming on the horizon the same as you can. I only hope that those who would wish to destabilize the world are countered by those who wish to see it remain stable."

Maria finally smiled and reached her hand over the table to Thomas. "That is something I believe we can finally agree to, hopefully we can negotiate and build our own friendship before we have to test it out on the field of battle." She closed her eyes. "Though I pray it never, ever, comes to that."

"Then shall we proceed, Maria?"

"Of course, Thomas, if you would please print out the final treaty, my sister and I are ready to sign."

Nodding, Thomas tapped a few buttons to send the treaty to a printer somewhere in the facility. A few minutes later, a Federation aide came in with the treaty. Pulling a pen from his jacket, Thomas added his signature to the document before sliding it over towards the sisters and the Imperator.

[quote][center][b]Brave New Worlds[/b]
A SNAPD Treaty

[b]Preamble[/b]
There are times that test every leader throughout history, and history will ultimately judge those leaders not by their actions, but by the consequences of those actions. It is with that eye towards history and towards the present, that this treaty is signed in good faith by the two parties.

[b]Article I[/b]
This treaty holds supremacy over any treaty that the signatories have signed before, and any they will sign in the future. No other treaty with a supremacy clause signed by either of the signatories will trump this treaty so long as they are both in existence.

[b]Article II[/b]
The signatories pledge not to engage in any hostile actions towards each other. They will not attempt to disrupt or interfere with each others trade in any way. They will not attempt to disrupt or interfere with each others internal nation workings in any way. They will not engage in any subterfuge or intelligence action against one another. They will not take any outright military action against one another, nor by proxy.

[b]Article III[/b]
The Empire of Pravus Ingruo pledges to defend Austria from any attacks made by North American nations or allies of Pravus Ingruo, regardless of treaty status with said attacking nations. This does not apply to attackers not from the North American continent or nations that are not allies of Pravus Ingruo, though the Empire is encouraged to defend in those situations as well. Austria pledges to defend Pravus Ingruo from any attacks made by Austria's allies on the Empire, regardless of treaty status with said attacking nations. This does not apply to attackers not allied to Austria, though Austria is encouraged to defend in those situations as well.

[b]Article IV[/b]
This treaty shall last for six months. There is no cancellation clause. The signatories are to use this six month period as a time to further diplomatic relations between the two countries. At the end of this six month period, or before should both signatories will it, a meeting will be held to determine the status of a future, permanent treaty between the two signatories.

[b]Signed, for Pravus Ingruo,[/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/That_Bum/thomasatkinsonasgeirsson.png[/img]
Emperor

[b]Signed, for Austria,[/b]

[b]Signed, as witness to this signing,[/b][/center][/quote]

Edited by Pravus Ingruo

Jia who had remained silent through the discussion preferring the party come to a favorable conclusion on their own was pleased to see the agreement concluded. "I am glad that we could avoid troubles. The world is far from a safe place today but I am glad we have not turne dto blood shed and I hope that we can continue that which we all fear... a great power war." he said before raising his pen and writing in both Chinese characters and English in the witness section.

Jia, August Imperator of the United Federation of the East, Supreme Commander People's Liberation Army

Nodding, the young Emperor picked up his tablet computer, saving the latest version of the treaty on there, and nodded to all three at the table. "Well, if the three of you will excuse me, I must be getting going. I have a feeling I am going to be needed at home a lot more in the near future." With a final nod to Angelika, Thomas turned and headed out of the room.

Once on the plane, Thomas found the old man fuming still. Before Thomas could say anything, the Arthur shoved a piece of paper into his chest. Thomas looked down. The paper merely said "I Quit" in scrawled handwriting.

"Honestly, Arthur? This is how you end your illustrious political career?"

"You signed something with those !@#$%^&*, didn't you Thomas? You signed away what we've held so dear for so long didn't you?"

"No Arthur. I bought us six months. So we'd better get going."

"I'm still quitting."

"I know you are. I would have been asking for it anyways."