Opinión con Vijay Malik: The meaning of an ally

zzzptm

[center][img]http://aohell.com/cn/rann01.jpg[/img][/center]

[i](Screen shows Vijay Malik, Editor-in-chief of "Noticias Republica," the national news network of Republica Himynamistan. Dramatic music plays as the title flashes onscreen: "Opinión con Vijay Malik." The music fades and the veteran newsman begins...)[/i]

Hello and good evening.

Recently, we have seen an escalation of the NEW-Dark Fist conflict with the first wave of alliances declaring war in support of NEW. I was already saddened to see NEW refuse to be reasonable at the negotiation table, so this adds even greater disappointment. The allies of NEW, Europa, FEAR, and WFF, all claim that they enter this war in full support of their friends that are under fire.

I know about the bond of comradeship formed in the heat of battle: I would not doubt the sincerity of these declarations for an instant. But I must question the wisdom of these moves. They've already been made and cannot be undone, so the question - and answers to the question - must serve other alliances in the future.

For their part, NEW maintains that they were in the right to attack the now-disbanded Dark Fist alliance. Leaving aside the ethical considerations of raiding, we must still consider what their key allies advised them to do. We have heard statements from key government officials in the PB bloc that plead with NEW to back away from their stance and accept a negotiated solution. This is where I must ask a hard question: where was NEW's friendship at that time?

A friend is not someone that endangers those around him. A true friend is one that offers difficult counsel out of concern and honest care. A true friend is also one that [i]listens[/i] to the counsel offered by his friends and takes the humbling decision to follow it. NEW did not follow the counsel of its friends, which makes me ask if they truly valued those relationships to justify calling them friends.

When the bombs started falling on NEW from Dark Fist's allies, NEW dug in its position even further. Did NEW realize it was engaging in self-destructive behavior? It would not seem to be the situation. NEW persisted in selfish behaviors that have now dragged in three more alliances to a war that would not have happened if NEW valued its friends as much as their friends valued NEW.

To me, the lesson is clear: NEW chose pride over friendship and now NEW's friends pay the price of that decision. We may yet see the whole world pay the price of NEW's pride. In another day and time, NEW's allies would have canceled their treaties for actions similar to what NEW has done. In this day, we seem to have lost sight of the true meaning of friendship. Yes, we want our friends to be there with arms in time of war...

But we also want our friends to listen to us in order to prevent those wars.

For Noticias Republica, I'm Vijay Malik. Good night.

a true friend does all that sure, but a true friend would also know the general attitude of their friends. this means that PC/iFOK should know that this is something NEW would do. i personally would not let my friend take a beating regardless of the reasons behind it. i would be in the fight with him 100% instead of stepping back and watching 3 guys stomp on him and then visiting him in the hospital afterwards with a get well soon card. that is by no means the actions of a true friend. if a so called true friend pulled that on me, i would no longer consider them worthy of being a friend.

remember this, a true friend is there for you through thick and thin. for the bad times and the good. it does not appear that PC and iFOK are there for NEW through the bad times and instead put other friends far ahead of their friendship with NEW.

speaking of that, i know PC at least had this treaty long before PB showed up on the scene. yeah this war would have gotten messy, that is what happens when you try and treaty every friggin alliance in the hopes to ensure you retain your power structure. but at least we have seen that PB is far more about power structure than friendship.

[quote name='Dochartaigh' timestamp='1292966834' post='2548691']
a true friend does all that sure, but a true friend would also know the general attitude of their friends. this means that PC/iFOK should know that this is something NEW would do. i personally would not let my friend take a beating regardless of the reasons behind it. i would be in the fight with him 100% instead of stepping back and watching 3 guys stomp on him and then visiting him in the hospital afterwards with a get well soon card. that is by no means the actions of a true friend. if a so called true friend pulled that on me, i would no longer consider them worthy of being a friend.

remember this, a true friend is there for you through thick and thin. for the bad times and the good. it does not appear that PC and iFOK are there for NEW through the bad times and instead put other friends far ahead of their friendship with NEW.

speaking of that, i know PC at least had this treaty long before PB showed up on the scene. yeah this war would have gotten messy, that is what happens when you try and treaty every friggin alliance in the hopes to ensure you retain your power structure. but at least we have seen that PB is far more about power structure than friendship.
[/quote]

PC's treaties with GOONS, Umbrella, FOK, and iFOK predate the NEW treaty. If by 'treaty every friggin alliance', you mean 'treaty SLCB and VE', then ok, good for you, you're right.

e: had to factcheck

Edited by Chief Savage Man

[quote name='Chief Savage Man' timestamp='1292967113' post='2548696']
PC's treaties with GOONS, Umbrella, FOK, and iFOK predate the NEW treaty. If by 'treaty every friggin alliance', you mean 'treaty SLCB and VE', then ok, good for you, you're right.

e: had to factcheck
[/quote]

for one, i stated that this treaty is older than PB. for two, me stating "treaty every friggin alliance" was directed towards PB as a whole.

[quote name='zzzptm' timestamp='1292963581' post='2548616']
For their part, NEW maintains that they were in the right to attack the now-disbanded Dark Fist alliance. Leaving aside the ethical considerations of raiding, we must still consider what their key allies advised them to do. We have heard statements from key government officials in the PB bloc that plead with NEW to back away from their stance and accept a negotiated solution. This is where I must ask a hard question: where was NEW's friendship at that time?

A friend is not someone that endangers those around him. A true friend is one that offers difficult counsel out of concern and honest care. A true friend is also one that [i]listens[/i] to the counsel offered by his friends and takes the humbling decision to follow it. NEW did not follow the counsel of its friends, which makes me ask if they truly valued those relationships to justify calling them friends.

[/quote]

Exactly. A good ally follows their friends into the abyss, but they also don't place their friends in an exceedingly difficult situation for no bloody reason. Thus, while iFOK and PC deserve some criticism for failing to back an ally, the vast majority has to fall on NEW...this wasn't some flash war, a rash decision made with no time to correct the mistake (like, say, NSO's adventure with micro-rogues), this was a slow-burn disaster that [i]everyone[/i] saw coming and [i]everyone[/i] counseled NEW to abandon. They might be a great group to have by your side if you need help, but their willingness to drag their friends into extremely messy situations -- or at least leave their friends with no-win decisions, with iFOK and PC losing face and FEAR/WFF likely to take extremely heavy damage -- makes them a rather imperfect ally.

[quote name='Dochartaigh' timestamp='1292966834' post='2548691']
i would be in the fight with him 100% instead of stepping back and watching 3 guys stomp on him and then visiting him in the hospital afterwards with a get well soon card. that is by no means the actions of a true friend. if a so called true friend pulled that on me, i would no longer consider them worthy of being a friend.

[/quote]

If my friend went and attacked a huge black man with multiple black friends chilling in the surrounding setting, and I knew they would pretty much leave him be after knocking him over as long as I didn't go running in being retarded too.. I would not go and help my friend. I don't care if this is the best man at my wedding, if he's a moron he's a moron and I'll pick him up from the hospital with some painkillers.

If you honestly would not be friends with someone if they didn't run in after you to some obviously unfavorable situation just because of some false sense of morality then I think you have some serious mental issues you need to have looked at.

This is all disregarding the fact that I'm friends with a few of the big black friends in the surrounding setting and don't really see any reason to be rude to them whatsoever.

Dochartaigh you are an unbelievably bad poster, and there is no excuse for your stupidity.

[quote name='Lispbot' timestamp='1292971586' post='2548789']
[b]If my friend went and attacked a huge black man with multiple black friends [/b]chilling in the surrounding setting, and I knew they would pretty much leave him be after knocking him over as long [b]as I didn't go running in being retarded too[/b].. I would not go and help my friend. I don't care if this is the best man at my wedding, if he's a moron he's a moron and I'll pick him up from the hospital with some painkillers.

If you honestly would not be friends with someone if they didn't run in after you to some obviously unfavorable situation just because of some false sense of morality then I think you have some serious mental issues you need to have looked at.

This is all disregarding the fact that I'm friends with a few of the big black friends in the surrounding setting and don't really see any reason to be rude to them whatsoever.

[b]Dochartaigh you are an unbelievably bad poster[/b], and there is no excuse for your stupidity.
[/quote]

Let's find the line that is most hilarious.

Edit: Forget Black, [quote]I would not go and help my friend. I don't care if this is the best man at my wedding, if he's a moron he's a moron[/quote] What we got here is stone cold yellow.

Edited by HalfEmpty

[quote name='HalfEmpty' timestamp='1292976023' post='2548892']
You heard it here first kids! A brilliant sample of the Hive Mind that is CN.

Edit: U Yellow!
[/quote]
Wow you are quite something. With your first post you seem to lack the capacity to actually call me out yourself and instead manage to highlight what you think are the most likely areas someone with a little more fortitude, but with equally little interest in the debate at hand, might use to throw some stunning retort in my direction.

Oh, no thought of something, brilliant edit. Stone cold yellow? What the hell does that even mean, did you pluck up the courage to imply that I am lacking in it? I don't even really know what to say my whole first post was detailing exactly why that is not the case. Say what you want but if you were to go and attack a bunch of your friends (who happen to be large and black) because they knocked out your mate who himself ran headlong into one of their fists.. Well, you wouldn't.

By golly, this second post that I quoted is the real sight to behold here. After the use of your collective nouns throughout both posts to try and rope in all your little merry men to your side, you again simply highlight exactly what I said and try and pass it off to someone more competent in the arena. Not only that, you then go on and claim that I am somehow demonstrating the hive-mind that is CN.

You are unreal, but you are not as bad as Dochartaigh. Maybe one day.

When NEW does something they believe in they do not back down. Anyone who knows NEW knows this, its allies more than anyone. NEWs view on raiding is nothing new either. This is what comes with being allied to NEW, its the way they are. It is also something NEWs allies were aware of when the signed up with them. NEW will fight against any odds when they think they are right or to defend an ally. So long as that was a asset to people like PC and iFOK they were happy to have them as allies. When the very thing they value in them as an ally now required them to do the same they turned tail and ran. Its not like this is a sudden change of NEWs behavior that suprised PC or iFOK. To ditch them now is pathetic. It appears to these people NEW really is nothing but a meat shield. This new trend of not defending allies that over the last couple of years has gone from shocking (ODN for example) to buisness as usual is nothing but one more nail in the coffin of planet bob.

[quote name='The Big Bad' timestamp='1292979014' post='2548944']
When NEW does something they believe in they do not back down. Anyone who knows NEW knows this, its allies more than anyone. NEWs view on raiding is nothing new either. This is what comes with being allied to NEW, its the way they are. It is also something NEWs allies were aware of when the signed up with them. NEW will fight against any odds when they think they are right or to defend an ally. So long as that was a asset to people like PC and iFOK they were happy to have them as allies. When the very thing they value in them as an ally now required them to do the same they turned tail and ran. Its not like this is a sudden change of NEWs behavior that suprised PC or iFOK. To ditch them now is pathetic. It appears to these people NEW really is nothing but a meat shield. This new trend of not defending allies that over the last couple of years has gone from shocking (ODN for example) to buisness as usual is nothing but one more nail in the coffin of planet bob.
[/quote]
Never change.

[quote name='Lispbot' timestamp='1292971586' post='2548789']
If my friend went and attacked a huge black man with multiple black friends chilling in the surrounding setting, and I knew they would pretty much leave him be after knocking him over as long as I didn't go running in being retarded too.. I would not go and help my friend. I don't care if this is the best man at my wedding, if he's a moron he's a moron and I'll pick him up from the hospital with some painkillers.

Dochartaigh you are an unbelievably bad poster, and there is no excuse for your stupidity.
[/quote]

This has to be one of the most foolish things I have seen in many years here. I understand the need to dumb down a situation to try and prove your point but, in this case not only do you come off as a bigot you fail you even properly relate what is occuring with your story. To start with just who is the huge black man? The few nations left on the disbanded Dark Fist AA? Who are the multiple black friends? Fark is aqua and PE and Int are orange. Its almost like you have no idea what is even going on. And you call others stupid? Ironic that.

[quote name='The MVP' timestamp='1292979540' post='2548951']No need for political correctness (PC), defending friends is all the same.[/quote]

But you need a politically correct official announcement in it's own place in order to defend a friend that disbands?

Your hypocrisy is never ending.

Edited by Starcraftmazter

[quote name='Starcraftmazter' timestamp='1292980546' post='2548978']
But you need a politically correct official announcement in it's own place in order to defend a friend that disbands?

Your hypocrisy is never ending.
[/quote]

Yes clearly defending friend extends to politics, you got me genius.

[quote name='The Big Bad' timestamp='1292980037' post='2548964']
This has to be one of the most foolish things I have seen in many years here. I understand the need to dumb down a situation to try and prove your point but, in this case not only do you come off as a bigot you fail you even properly relate what is occuring with your story. To start with just who is the huge black man? The few nations left on the disbanded Dark Fist AA? Who are the multiple black friends? Fark is aqua and PE and Int are orange. Its almost like you have no idea what is even going on. And you call others stupid? Ironic that.
[/quote]
I'm afraid I was actually elaborating on poor Doch's analogy. Funnily enough the colours of the men in my story mean very little, and if you really want me to add details; I still would not enter this fight if my friend went and attacked a small black midgit who was surrounded by large multi-coloured men who happened to also be my good friends. You are bad at this TBB, you were terrible at it when you were part of Skype Krew and you're terrible at it now. Figure out a better way of turning the PR war your way because morality is tired and old.

And furthermore, I know you all want to destroy PB but you've managed to pit yourselves against CnG and SF (the two crowds you should probably be trying to haul to your side) and try and convince PB to join your side.. It's really a bad strategy. Like, a really, really bad strategy.