Ambition

Rebounder

Countless threads have been made recently, all of them trying to discover the truth as to what's making Bob so horribly stagnated. Most of the time, the collective society of CN is blamed, especially the "MDP Web," that allegedly renders war to be a suicidal endeavor. However, the answer is much simpler, and it rests on the individual level. The reason the world currently rots stagnantly, like a pond of water, is because there are few ambitious individuals left here. We spend too much time focused on surviving and forget that ultimate power should be the goal of our lives on Bob.

To me, it is simply baffling that alliance leaders could lack the ambition to want to be the "global hegemon." If you are a leader of your alliance, how did you become a leader? If I had to guess, in most situations, the leader of an alliance had to work hard in one or multiple departments of the alliance, and usually either outshine an incumbent leader or gain enough loyalty from the senior members of the alliance to justify the "top dog" position. So, alliance leaders, I ask you, why would you abandon your ambition once you reached the top of your alliance? It simply makes no sense.

This is my call to the leaders of all the alliances on Bob: ask yourself the simple question, "what can I do to make my alliance more powerful?" If that includes making a new bloc to solidify you and your loose coalition of "allies" together, go ahead and do it, without giving a damn as to whether or not your enemies will like it. If that means trying to politically isolate some alliance that wants your alliance destroyed, don't be afraid to get your hands dirty a little bit. Hell, if you have to bait your enemies into making dumb moves, or if you have to do a thing or two that [i]could[/i] get you in trouble with the rest of the world, what do you have to lose? If you remain content with simply surviving right now when you could be increasing your influence, you're losing precious time. You cannot advance unless you take the initiative.

This call does not pertain only to alliance "out of the loop" in the current "hegemony." There is no alliance right now so powerful it does not need to advance itself. Is your alliance currently sitting comfortably, but your power is eclipsed by another influential one? Start ousting that other alliance, it'll give you more power. Are you currently very powerful in statistics, but you're subservient to a group of smaller fries? Emancipate yourselves, for Pete's sakes, and strike out on your own.

This pond is going to continue to stink until somebody stirs it up a little. I need [i]you[/i] to help make a difference.

Now go do something. Right now. Do it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Rebounder' timestamp='1291010630' post='2525720']
Yes, that's the point, isn't it?
[/quote]

There is no point to this game. It's about politics.

Let me ask you this. If GATO suddenly decided they'd be the next hegemony (feel free to laugh, haters), then what about our allies? Do they also become the next hegemony? Obviously the answer is yes. And yet, the way the treaty web is set up, everyone would indirectly/directly become the new hegemony, thus cancelling out the point of a hegemony.

So where to next? Doesn't that kind of reiterate the point that the treaty web is to blame for the political stagnation?

[quote name='R3nowned' timestamp='1291010639' post='2525722']
You're obviously referring to larger alliances. Us micro alliances don't have any influence/sway over Planet Bob in the large scheme of things. All we can do is stir up some micro drama to keep the masses entertained for 2 days every now and then.
[/quote]
We can probably influence our protectorates at least a bit. Or just start a mini-war. Or... Yeah, you have a point.

[quote name='Antoine Roquentin' timestamp='1291010632' post='2525721']
I'm with Fernando on this issue.
[/quote]
You sure you want to admit that? That's generally something people try to avoid. [IMG]http://imgur.com/PYU3Q.gif[/IMG]

[quote name='Ironfist' timestamp='1291011187' post='2525728']

Let me ask you this. If GATO suddenly decided they'd be the next hegemony (feel free to laugh, haters), then what about our allies? Do they also become the next hegemony? Obviously the answer is yes. And yet, the way the treaty web is set up, everyone would indirectly/directly become the new hegemony, thus cancelling out the point of a hegemony.

So where to next? Doesn't that kind of reiterate the point that the treaty web is to blame for the political stagnation?
[/quote]

Yes, we know the horror that is the treaty web. Maybe alliances should get over this "oh gosh <insert alliance> is my bff, we hang out and it is always good times" crap that has flooded CN. Like you said this is a game about politics but its our job to create goals and situations that will require more political skill then typing <3 MK.

Edited by Left_Behind

[quote name='greenacres' timestamp='1291045239' post='2525871']
People are content to merely attain power, no one ever has any thoughts of using it. I'd actually say that everyone on top right now is afraid to use their power, no one wants to risk being on top and being in control.
[/quote]

If fear has anything to do with it (which I'm not personally convinced of actually), it's the fear of losing power - not of gaining it. It's not about risking the use of power -it's the risk of losing it as a result. So instead, those that have it do not use it in any way that would motivate others to risk their own power. It's not use it or lose it, it's use it and lose it.

What people most likely are trying to do is create a situation to have it both ways. Where they have enough military support to start dictating this or that. Coalition building takes time. Add to this the fact that everyone is doing it and it takes even more time.

Edited by White Chocolate

[quote name='greenacres' timestamp='1291045239' post='2525871']
People are content to merely attain power, no one ever has any thoughts of using it. I'd actually say that everyone on top right now is afraid to use their power, no one wants to risk being on top and being in control.
[/quote]

Truer words have not been spoken. But as mentioned above, what it takes to get, is another main factor that cancels out the ambition once one is there. The leader becomes too fearful of losing what he gains.

[quote name='Rebounder' timestamp='1291010129' post='2525715']
We spend too much time focused on surviving and forget that ultimate power should be the goal of our lives on Bob.
[/quote]

If that is your goal on Bob then feel free to pursue it, it is not (nor should it be) the goal of every single alliance.

[quote]To me, it is simply baffling that alliance leaders could lack the ambition to want to be the "global hegemon."[/quote]

Precisely why should an alliance wish to be the "global hegemon"? Surely that's just painting a huge bullseye on your back for everyone else that wants the position.

[quote]So, alliance leaders, I ask you, why would you abandon your ambition once you reached the top of your alliance?[/quote]

The fact that one does not share the same ambition as you does not mean they lack amibition. My reasons for being on Bob have absolutely nothing to do with interest at being on top of the mountain.

[quote]This pond is going to continue to stink until somebody stirs it up a little. I need [i]you[/i] to help make a difference.

Now go do something. Right now. Do it.
[/quote]

As with all of these topics, I find myself wondering what is stopping you (and Gondor if they share your view, if not then just you) from doing what it is that you are encouraging others to do.

tl;dr it's not other alliances job to keep you entertained, if [b]you[/b] find things boring then [b]you[/b] can do something about it.

[quote name='We Are Not Alone' timestamp='1291057543' post='2525952']
*Bing* As rebounder hits the nail on its head. We need to have ambition to be the best in this game. "I wanna be the best, Like no one ever was" - Pokemon Theme Song.
[/quote]
What's your ambition then? To be the greatest alliance hopper?

[quote name='Burnsey' timestamp='1291058760' post='2525967']
What's your ambition then? To be the greatest alliance hopper?
[/quote]

I don't think we've ever met before but hey I could be forgetting things but no my ambition is to one day settle down (i'm settling down in CoJ currently) and climb the ranks to be a great leader and to start a war someday.

[quote name='We Are Not Alone' timestamp='1291059303' post='2525970']
I don't think we've ever met before but hey I could be forgetting things but no my ambition is to one day settle down (i'm settling down in CoJ currently) and climb the ranks to be a great leader and to start a war someday.
[/quote]
The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem...

[quote name='Ironfist' timestamp='1291011187' post='2525728']

[/quote]

Yes, the game* is about politics, but what is the goal of politics except to obtain power?

Also, your situation assumes GATO is the only alliance with ambition, and you re right in that whenever only one alliance has ambition, that alliance has a good chance of being the leader of either the hegemony or of their little corner of the treaty web. However, if all other alliances were ambitious, and GATO seized control, some alliances would resist, wouldn't they?

[size="1"]*"game" is a figurative term for foreign policy on Bob, not an implication that the world in which we live is literally non-existent, for obvious reasons. [/size]

Edited by Rebounder

[quote name='R3nowned' timestamp='1291010639' post='2525722']
You're obviously referring to larger alliances. Us micro alliances don't have any influence/sway over Planet Bob in the large scheme of things. All we can do is stir up some micro drama to keep the masses entertained for 2 days every now and then.
[/quote]
Solution: get rid of micros and create larger, more entertaining alliances.