An offer to the Holy American Empire

Lynneth

Encrypted message; High
Recipient; Holy American Empire; Leadership
Sender; Guido Westerwelle, Foreign Minister, German Democratic Republic
Subj.; Re: Launch Loop

Greetings. 
Recently, our esteemed leader and Chairman has expressed his desire to reacquire the Space Elevator he helped building when he was Saboria's leader. But, as Rebel Army is a member of the EU and it thus is unlikely that we'll ever get it from them (not to mention this silly 'Aphrike' treaty), we would like to ask the leadership of the HAE if they'd like to come to Vienna to discuss a project similar to the Equatorial Star, yet quite different. 
It would require a megaconstruction in South America, but the exact details will be given at the meeting, should you decide to some. 

Regards,
Westerwelle
Foreign Minister

Encrypted message; High
Recipient; Holy American Empire; Leadership
Sender; Guido Westerwelle, Foreign Minister, German Democratic Republic
Subj.; Re: Launch Loop

Greetings. 
Recently, our esteemed leader and Chairman has expressed his desire to reacquire the Space Elevator he helped building when he was Saboria's leader. But, as Rebel Army is a member of the EU and it thus is unlikely that we'll ever get it from them (not to mention this silly 'Aphrike' treaty), we would like to ask the leadership of the HAE if they'd like to come to Vienna to discuss a project similar to the Equatorial Star, yet quite different. 
It would require a megaconstruction in South America, but the exact details will be given at the meeting, should you decide to some. 

Regards,
Westerwelle
Foreign Minister

Classified Message; Maximum Encryption
To: Foreign Affairs of the German Democratic Republic

Re: Launch Loop

Your offer has been received and we are quite curious in regards to what it could mean as such we will send a delegation from both regions. With this message you will find the frequencies our aircraft will operate on for this mission. We look forward to it.

Sincerely,
Jane Aurelia Louise Peacecraft

Shortly thereafter several aircraft left from Foundation on their way to Vienna which would arrive after a few hours.

OOC: Just fast forward to the meeting :)

Classified Message; Maximum Encryption
To: Foreign Affairs of the German Democratic Republic

Re: Launch Loop

Your offer has been received and we are quite curious in regards to what it could mean as such we will send a delegation from both regions. With this message you will find the frequencies our aircraft will operate on for this mission. We look forward to it.

Sincerely,
Jane Aurelia Louise Peacecraft

Shortly thereafter several aircraft left from Foundation on their way to Vienna which would arrive after a few hours.

OOC: Just fast forward to the meeting :)

It was a relatively quick and uneventful trip from the airport to the meeting.

Once there, Peacecraft and the others would be brought into a large room with a big table, enough chairs for everyone to have two of them. On one side of the table, there was a pillar instead of a chair, about a meter wide and two tall.

Westerwelle asked them to sit down, so that the meeting could begin.

Edited by Lynneth

The former Imperator, now Emperor Kevin Holihan took his seat after shaking hands with Westerwelle. He motioned to the other side of the table with an air of imperturbability, clearly willing to talk about future projects if any only if the Holy American Empire was given an equal share of the results.

"Greetings to you as well, Mister Westerwelle."

The former Imperator, now Emperor Kevin Holihan took his seat after shaking hands with Westerwelle. He motioned to the other side of the table with an air of imperturbability, clearly willing to talk about future projects if any only if the Holy American Empire was given an equal share of the results.

"Greetings to you as well, Mister Westerwelle."

OOC: I'm assuming you guys didn't sit down near the pillar.

IC:

Westerwelle nodded, then sat down besides the pillar. "The conference will now begin.

I will not lead it. However, the Chairman will."

On the side of the pillar facing the table - and thus both Emperor Holihan as well as Empress Peacecraft - a panel opened, revealing an 80*60 centimeter monitor. It activated, and a strange, artificial eye came into view.

th_1250805616245.jpg

To anyone not used to seeing it, the eye would likely be quite unnerving. Then, a voice sounded through the room.

"Welcome in Vienna, Emperor and Empress. Let me introduce myself. I am Chairman Lynneth Sarkara, of the German Democratic Republic. It is unfortunate that we cannot meet in person, but circumstances dictate that as few people as possible are brought to my current location.

Anyways, thank you for coming. My proposal is quite simple.

With Rebel Army not giving the Space Elevator to us - I built it, after all, as Saboria, which you may remember - we have procured another system to cheaply and efficiently bring material into space."

The eye was replaced by the following picture, while the Chairman continued talking.

th_LaunchLoop_Pic.png

"A so-called 'Launch Loop'. Let me show you where the current optimal location for it would be."

The previous picture slid to the side, making place for a new one.

LaunchLoop.png

"South America. In the northern parts of the Amazonas in fact, precisely along the Equator. It would be a joint project. You supply the resources needed for it, we bring the know-how and build the factories. Is you have any questions, please do ask."

Edited by Lynneth

When the eye came in view Jane became a bit nervous, due to it looking so much like a machine she got a cold feeling over her body.

When the chairman was finished the offer sure sounded very tempting, this plan could not only help an ally but also speed up the American Space Program with years.

"I think we can agree to this arrangement of course on the terms the project will remain solely with our 2 nations. Just one question on a different note, why the machine eye?"

When the eye came in view Jane became a bit nervous, due to it looking so much like a machine she got a cold feeling over her body.

When the chairman was finished the offer sure sounded very tempting, this plan could not only help an ally but also speed up the American Space Program with years.

"I think we can agree to this arrangement of course on the terms the project will remain solely with our 2 nations. Just one question on a different note, why the machine eye?"

"I'm glad that you like the proposal, Empress, but I'd like Holihan's opinion, as well. With 'the project will remain solely with our 2 nations', do you mean the construction, or its use even after it's done? Because once it's finished, we'd like to enable some of our allies to access it, such as perhaps Norway.

Now, for the eye, I expected that question. The answer is quite simple.

Currently, I am a human mind transferred into a supercomputer, by use of technology vastly more advanced than anything you've ever seen. I, the Chairman, am an artificial intelligence. But no worries, I won't go SkyNet on you. I'm still a Rational Communist."

The artificial eye was the most advanced design Kevin had ever seen. His own prosthetic organ was bulky, covering a quarter of his face with various memory and alternative functions. In contrast though the design itself lent its bulk towards shielding the vulnerable human brain.

"A launch loop... As memory serves, such a system requires rather excessive amounts of energy. Would you happen to have the raw data on this machine's expected performance?"

The artificial eye was the most advanced design Kevin had ever seen. His own prosthetic organ was bulky, covering a quarter of his face with various memory and alternative functions. In contrast though the design itself lent its bulk towards shielding the vulnerable human brain.

"A launch loop... As memory serves, such a system requires rather excessive amounts of energy. Would you happen to have the raw data on this machine's expected performance?"

"It in fact requires less power than the Space Elevator. The launch loop would be a structure around 2,000 km long. The loop rises from the earth's surface to a height of 80 km, runs along at 80 km above the earth for 2000 km then descends to earth before looping back on itself rising back to 80 km above the earth to follow the reverse path then looping back to the starting point. The rotor itself is thin, around 5 cm diameter and the sheath is not much bigger. The rotor is made of ferromagnetic iron and is in the shape of a pipe or tube, but with lengthwise expansion joints every meter or so. The rotor is spaced from the sheath by servo-stabilised magnetic bearings. The sheath is air-tight and maintains a vacuum to minimise drag on the rotor."

th_LaunchLoopRotor.png

"When at rest, the loop is at ground level. The rotor is then accelerated up to speed by a linear motor which consumes several hundred megawatts. As the rotor speed increases, it curves to form an arc. The sheath forces it to follow a curve steeper than the rotor's natural ballistic curve, which, in turn, exerts a reactive centrifugal force on the sheath, holding it aloft. The loop is shaped and restrained to a maximum height of ~80 km by cables anchored to the ground beneath. Using a 300 MW power generator, it would take about two months to reach full speed. Once fully commissioned, the rotor would take approximately 5 minutes to make a complete circuit of the loop.

Once raised, the structure needs some power to deal with power dissipated in the magnetic bearings, to stabilize the structure, and to deal with losses due to the imperfect vacuum in the sheath; overall this requires around 200 MW. Additional energy would be needed to power any vehicles that are launched.

The launch rate capacity of a launch loop is ultimately limited by the temperature and cooling rate of the rotor to 80 per hour, but that would require a 17 GW power station; a more modest 500 MW power station is sufficient for 35 launches per day."

OOC: Mostly taken from yours truly, Wiki

"I see, and within between us only I meant the 2 of us get to staff it and get priority over other nations"

"Right, no problem. That's kind of what I assumed, anyways.

Would you like to make a special treaty for this or can we just send engineers and workers to start building this thing?"

"Whichever is the most expedient thing to do. This is a monumental step for the human race towards independence from Mother Earth."

"I believe that we can make a treaty at a later time. Our nations are friendly towards each other, and there should thus not really be any issues about who controls what. We're all intelligent people, after all.

Anyways, I will notify the necessary crews, and they will arrive via ship within the next weeks. If you could begin to build streets and roads towards the two deflectors, it would be of immense help. We already have some factories that can build some of the necessary materials, but obviously most will be made in your nation, as it's simply cheaper than to import them from the GDR.

The eastern deflector is on an island, by the way, in the Amazonas delta. Its name is 'Ilha Mexiana', from what I know. If you could build a small harbour there so we can expand it over time, it would be excellent. Do you need anything else that needs to be cleared up?"

"I agree, and those requests will be possible the harbor should be finished within a few weeks and the roads a month or 2 at most."

"Excellent.

Well, I believe that, unless you have any further questions, the meeting is over. I'm looking forward to seeing the launch loop finished. Surely, it'll contribute greatly to advancing Mankind's cause.

Unfortunately, I can't shake your hands, so you will have to be content with me saying goodbye to you."

"As you wish." Kevin stood and bowed deeply to the machine. The offer was one he took with full sincerity, considering it had the potential of making the newly created Holy American Empire even more illustrious in the jealous eyes of the world.

"The citizens of the Holy American Empire will work towards this goal with all their might. If you will excuse me, I must go announce this opportunity." With that, the former Imperator turned on his heel and strode purposefully out of the room in the general direction of the runway.

---

OOC: Building RP?

"As you wish." Kevin stood and bowed deeply to the machine. The offer was one he took with full sincerity, considering it had the potential of making the newly created Holy American Empire even more illustrious in the jealous eyes of the world.

"The citizens of the Holy American Empire will work towards this goal with all their might. If you will excuse me, I must go announce this opportunity." With that, the former Imperator turned on his heel and strode purposefully out of the room in the general direction of the runway.

---

OOC: Building RP?

The two excellencies would be brought back to the airport by limousines.

A few days later, men from the GDR were on their way.

OOC: Sure. You guys can start it with the roads and such, if you want.