Habemus Papam!

Gnost Dural

For two days the people had assembled at the Holy site of St. Peter's Square and eagerly awaited the signal of white smoke from the Sistine Chapel. A few times, black smoke billowed from the smokestack, signaling what many perceive as a fiercely rigorous vote by the College of Cardinals as to the legitimate and continued successor to St. Peter and the Vicar of Christ, leader of the worldwide Roman Catholic Church. Finally, at a little over 9pm tonight, white smoke was seen issuing from the Sistine Chapel as the crowds cheered, chanting Papa! Papa! Habemus Papam!. Pope! Pope! We have a new Pope!

A cardinal of the Church spoke into a mircophone from the Sistine Chapel, informing the crowd of the results of the poll:

Annuntio vobis gaudium magnum: Habemus Papam! Eminentissimum ac reverendissimum Dominum, Dominum Cardeau, Sanctæ Romanæ Ecclesiæ Cardinalem Fransisco Cardeau, Qui sibi nomen imposuit Benedictus Decimum Septimum.

I announce to you a great joy: We have a Pope! The most eminent and most reverend Lord, Lord Cardeau, Cardinal of the Holy Roman Church, Who takes to himself the name of Benedict XVII.

Shortly thereafter in an expedient manner not typical of Vatican ceremony after Papal Succession, the new Pope spoke from the balcony of the Chapel and addressed the multitude of faithful that had assembled from across the world.

Dear Sisters and Brothers,

After the reign of Pope Alexius I, my brother Cardinals have elected me, a simple and humble servant of the Lord.

The fact that the Lord can take ordinary elements of bread and wine and turn them into his Sacred Body and Blood, gives me great comfort as to the divine purpose of the Body of Christ. God has the ability to take the ordinary and make it extraordinary, and above all I entrust myself to your prayers as we seek to reinvent the meaning of the Church's existence in the twenty first century.

Let us move forward in light of the Paschal mystery, in renewal of the Christian spirit of the Church, and may the fading of one bring new and everlasting life to all. The Lord will help us and Mary, his Mother most bless, will protect us and be on our side.

Thank You!

Sancti Apostoli Petrus et Paulus, de quorum potestate et auctoritate confidimus, ipsi intercedant pro nobis ad Dominum.

Amen.

Precibus et meritis beatæ Mariae semper Virginis, beati Michaelis Archangeli, beati Ioannis Baptistæ et sanctorum Apostolorum Petri et Pauli et omnium Sanctorum misereatur vestri omnipotens Deus et dimissis omnibus peccatis vestris, perducat vos Iesus Christus ad vitam æternam.

Amen.

Indulgentiam, absolutionem et remissionem omnium peccatorum vestrorum, spatium verae et fructuosae penitentiæ, cor semper penitens et emendationem vitae, gratiam et consolationem sancti Spiritus et finalem perseverantiam in bonis operibus, tribuat vobis omnipotens et misericors Dominus.

Amen.

Et benedictio Dei omnipotentis: Patris et Filii et Spiritus sancti descendat super vos et maneat semper.

Amen.

A message from Pope Alexius I:

The person who calls himself the Vicar of Rome is guilty of foul play from the Conclave that was held. He called the conclave before the time was up in order to ensure that he would win the Papacy. Now think logically! The only reason why I'm not in Rome is because I was forced out of there! What spiritual crime am I guilty of that would cost me the Chair of Peter? He shouldn't get the Papacy because I never lost it in the first place. Therefore, I will not recognize this man as the legitimate Pope; I will however, show him mercy by not excommunicating him for theft and impersonation.

Edited by KingChris

"Alexius I does not seem to understand that there is no time limit to a Conclave. It is only when the amount of votes needed to proceed is given. If there is a deadlock after a certain amount of time, the amount of 'candidates' is whittled down until there is only two left. If you do not even understand how the Papal Conclave works, you probably should not even be participating in one."

OOC: Technically, he's right. We set an OOC timeline. A real conclave has no limit, only requiring a 2/3 majority or a deadlock breaker.

OOC: The 2/3 majority isn't even needed when there are only two candidates - you could have only one more vote and still be the winner.

OOC: The 2/3 majority isn't even needed when there are only two candidates - you could have only one more vote and still be the winner.

OOC: Ah, thank you. I stand corrected. I was not aware that in a two person ballot, a 2/3 was not required. Hail, oh wise one! :P

After consulting with various officials and the Cardinal Elector, the Vatican issued a statement on the rejection of the Conclave results:

keysold.png

SECRETARIAT OF STATE

The Supreme Pontiff

Benedictus pp. XVII

After the recent review of the Papal Conclave I proceedings it is the determination of the College of Cardinals, His holiness and the Vatican itself, that the Papal Conclave was held in proper tradition, spirit and regulation in accordance with canon law. There can be no disputation of the results, as they are the direct manifestation of the Holy Spirit, and the will for God's church on this Earth. The Vicar of Christ has been chosen and the faithful by and large, have pledged to support the winner (irregardless of who it would be) before the proceedings had even began. We no longer recognize the legitimacy of alexius and further attempts to splinter the Roman Catholic Church will be reviewed by His Holiness in a serious manner.

"Alexius I does not seem to understand that there is no time limit to a Conclave. It is only when the amount of votes needed to proceed is given. If there is a deadlock after a certain amount of time, the amount of 'candidates' is whittled down until there is only two left. If you do not even understand how the Papal Conclave works, you probably should not even be participating in one."

Message from Pope Alexius I:

Arrgh! I meant that there's reason to believe he bribed Cardinals, not that he called the Conclave! My apologies, I've been so frustrated that I am starting to confuse one thing with another. Give an old man a break!

Edited by KingChris

OOC: Unfortunately for you, you can't edit the main part of your post out after someone calls you out on it. Well, you can, but it just shows how much of a liar you are. :P

OOC: Hahah that is unfortunate. I'll just edit the two previous posts then.

OOC: Which story are you going with KC? Time limit which does not apply, to Bribes, and back to Time limit? I'm having a hard time believing you had a grand plan all along. :rolleyes:

OOC: lol sorry, forgot OOC didn't affect IC. I started off with saying that you called the conclave early, but since the timeline was IC I had to change it to Bribes. But Sargy already called me off for saying something about the timeline so I had to change the first post back and edit the second post so that it would ICly and legitimately change to Bribes.

fascistr.jpg

== FASCIST REGIME OF ITALICA ==

== Grand Council of Fascism - Department of Foreign Affairs ==

The Grand Council of Fascism welcomes with enthusiasm the election of Benedict XVII as the new official head of the Roman Catholic Church. Considering the Anti-pope's refusal to accept it, the Grand Council therefore declares Alexius I as " Enemy of the Fascist State and the Italian People ". All the security agencies of Italica are authorized to arrest him immediatly if he crosses our borders.

Edited by Arathog

"The entire nation of Austria (well those that're catholics and not atheist, shinto, buddhist or any other minor religion or non-religion)is overjoyed that the Catholic Church finally has a strong leader that could end this schism that existed since Pope Bubba."

The small number of Catholics residing in libya donot recognize the new pope and insist Alexius is the true pontiff. The Caliph welcomes Alexius if he needs a place to reside. After all an enemy of fascists is a friend a of ours.

"So you do not endorse the true Pope who was elected by proper procedure and is, indeed, the rightful Pope, but instead follow another simply because of a single political view. Intriguing. At the behest of the Pope, we will not continue any more political dialogue between us on this subject - a religious debate is never a sensible one."

Edited by Sargun

"The Hansa sends its highest congratulations to the new Supreme Pontiff, Benedict XVII, may your reign be long and prosperous. In addition, we hope that in the future you may grace us with your presence here in the Hansa."

-Hannah Asgiersson

----------------------

Benedict would always receive a letter, encased in a faded envelope with golden ink on the front that shone like the sun. Inside was a folded piece of parchment, elegant handwriting on the back and front.

Your Holiness,

I would like to personally congratulate you on this historic accomplishment. The sins of the past popes still weigh heavy with my heart and I long to see the Catholic Church restored to its proper place in this world. As a beacon of the power, goodwill, and hope for all men, of all religions, and all cultures. The world we live in is dark, it is a world filled with chaos, destruction and death and I truly believe that only through the power of prayer, patience, and possibly a bit of getting your hands dirty can true peace be restored to this earth. I have trodden of the path to peace, once, twice, three times or more and my hands are stained with the blood of the innocence, but I hope that what I attempted to do in my life, you can continue to do in your Papacy.

I would like to meet you one day, consider it a meeting between two philosophers, two people that desire the same thing.

Sincerely,

Sarah Tintagyl

"So you do not endorse the true Pope who was elected by proper procedure and is, indeed, the rightful Pope, but instead follow another simply because of a single political view. Intriguing. At the behest of the Pope, we will not continue any more political dialogue between us on this subject - a religious debate is never a sensible one."

"We endorse what the people endorse, the fact Alexius is an Enemy of the Fascists is just an added bonus."

Alexius I:

- "I thank those that have placed their vote in me. However, the Cardinals have spoken in favor of Pope Benedict XVII, a decision i have chosen not to appeal. Pope Benedict XVII has offered me the position of Archbishop in my home country, Zargathia, which i have accepted. I thank Libya for its offer, yet must kindly request they too accept the ruling of the Conclave. Let the Church remain whole."