Situation Normal: Anti Fraud Update

Stetson76

snafu.jpg

As an alliance who takes great pride in our ability to take a less than desirable situation and deal with it. Make it normal if you will. SNAFU has had any number of ups and downs, but the one constant has always been a commitment to fair and just dealings both internally and with the larger community of planet Bob. We work hard to give respect and expect to receive respect in return.

In the last two days, we have been shown that trust given is not always returned in kind.

A former member of our government took their leave of SNAFU under less than amiable terms. After insulting myself and the rest of the alliance's intelligence this member went about the task of systematically deleting our alliance guides off of our forums. While a member of our government team, this member was tasked with improving our education department and editing our guides to provide a clearer presentation. A job accepted with no qualifications.

Little did we know that this act of applying some formatting points and organizing the information present, entitled this person to claim sole ownership of said guides with no consideration to the alliance that provided the information in the first place. We have since been informed by the alliance this individual has left us for, that we hold no rights to either the content of the guides, or the right to answer an action intended to harm our alliance. Granted the harm caused is fairly minor as the guides were created originally by people still within our ranks and can be reconstructed, the intention and the act was one of sabotage.

Common sense is something that SNAFU holds dear, but it is apparent that we must codify even an alliance's right to consider the work of its duly appointed government members as alliance property. So, with this in mind, we have passed and enacted the following amendments to our charter. Effective immediately, Amendment II and Amendment III are the official policy of SNAFU.

Charter Amendment II

Whereas all members of SNAFU's government have been appointed and have accepted positions within said government. It is the policy of SNAFU that any work done by a government member at the request of the alliance and explicitly or implicitly to be made use of by the entire alliance shall be deemed the property of the alliance of SNAFU.

Any work done by a government member when acting as a sovereign ruler shall of course have its ownership remain in the hands of the member who has done the work.

As a clarification to this amendment that shall be entered into the record and be binding should it come into question. Any work, including forum patches, guides, graphics, programs, data and information accumulated, as well as any future additional projects when done as a function of the position held within the government of SNAFU shall remain with SNAFU. Ownership shall be co-owned so that should a nation depart SNAFU and desire to give the fruits of their labor to a new alliance, that is of course within their rights, but the original posting and information shall remain with SNAFU after said member's departure.

Should a member decide to, out of the goodness of their heart and in their desire to see SNAFU succeed, donate materials to the alliance that they have created outside the purview of their position, they shall retain exclusive rights to the materials with an expected opportunity for SNAFU to come to an agreement to purchase these materials from the member upon their departure. In other words, if you create a recruiting poster because you had some free time and you decide to leave SNAFU, we'd like the opportunity to pay you for your work and retain the rights to use the poster.

Charter Amendment III

Should the sad day come when a member of SNAFU finds they decide to leave our alliance they are free to do so, as stated in our charter. However, any actions done to SNAFU or it's property that has been deemed malicious and/or detrimental to the functioning of SNAFU shall carry the price of being named a rogue.

Any former member who is declared a rogue shall be dealt with in accordance with the alliance's policies. Punishment shall be handed down as deemed appropriate by the Grand FUBAR or Directors at the time of the incident.

Just as SNAFU honors the right of other alliances to discipline their members and ghosts/rogues as they see fit, it is SNAFU's expectation that our status as a sovereign alliance shall be respected by other members in this world. That a declaration of a nation being rogue shall be sufficient to cause to withhold membership to a nation until the situation has been resolved to both party's satisfaction.

Having been the ruler of my nation for some time, and a government member for most of my time on planet Bob, I would have thought that the universally understood agreement between the government and the governed is that the work done by those in positions of power is at the discretion of, and for the benefit of the alliance. The there would be no point in designing a guide, or adding a forum modification, or designing a boosting program for our nation alone. The respect and honor that comes from being a member of any alliance's government is the just and appropriate compensation for all of the time and effort put in to running an alliance. It saddens me to come to the point where we have to tell people that if they act in a selfish and damaging manner while in positions of authority that there will be consequences, but there you have it.

Having come to the conclusion that the alliance who is considering letting this rogue in accepts this sort of sabotage as a normal part of the resignation process, we realize that no satisfaction shall be forthcoming. We have no desire to get money, or tech, sarcastically offered new guides; we were merely hoping to be able to meet an act of aggression with a commensurate response. However, since that avenue does not appear open to us and as putting our membership in harms way to attempt to redress a malicious act does not make sense, we will not be pursuing this issue further. Instead, we shall merely state that there shall be no more misunderstandings, the work of our government is the work of this alliance and any future breach of that trust shall be responded to, to the fullest extent of our capability.

Thank you for your patience with this unseemly matter.

Stetson, Grand FUBAR of the alliance of SNAFU

Madam CaVi, Power Behind the Throne of the alliance of SNAFU

Joe32320, Director of Illicit Affairs of the alliance of SNAFU

Warmongrel, Director of Alliance Relations of the alliance of SNAFU

Heheurfunny, Elder of the alliance of SNAFU

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like this person has screwed you over and so is the alliance that's now harbouring. Some name and shame might be in order; I certainly wouldn't want to accidentally do business with this person. If he had actually written the guides in the first place then he would perhaps have a point, although I would consider any material done for an alliance to at least leave an eternal license to use it with them, but when the material was never his, you are clearly in the right. Good luck reconstructing the guides, and getting some degree of justice over this matter.

Very nicely said despite what must be a deeply irritating situation. Its good to see poise and respect in these sorts of announcements. Good form and good luck in the future. Should you ever need advice on building new guides I'm sure there are plenty of persons out there willing to assist you free of charge.

I'm sorry that happened to you guys, and quite appalled that any alliance would shelter someone who destroyed your works, never mind condoning the actions as well.

I hope that you are able to update the backups with all speed. If there is anything we can do to help, you know where to find us :wub:

Sounds like this person has screwed you over and so is the alliance that's now harbouring. Some name and shame might be in order; I certainly wouldn't want to accidentally do business with this person. If he had actually written the guides in the first place then he would perhaps have a point, although I would consider any material done for an alliance to at least leave an eternal license to use it with them, but when the material was never his, you are clearly in the right. Good luck reconstructing the guides, and getting some degree of justice over this matter.

My point exactly Bob. Within the guides there was some content that was entirely his creation, and therefore his taking the guides with him is perfectly reasonable. Heck, I would have gladly taken them down myself if he had asked, but the act of deleting them was an act of vandalism.

Thank you to everyone else who've responded, we appreciate the offer of help, but we've recreated the guides already (we wrote the first versions after all), this only continues to be an issue due to the vandalism of our forums.

I'm sorry that happened to you guys, and quite appalled that any alliance would shelter someone who destroyed your works, never mind condoning the actions as well.

I hope that you are able to update the backups with all speed. If there is anything we can do to help, you know where to find us :wub:

This and what ever you need SNAFU it will be yours

Its only common sense when you right something for an alliance it belongs to THE ALLIANCE not too the individual. I would actually have no problem if they took their ideas with them as they left but the paperwork stays with out questions.

SNAFU you all are a classy bunch and its a pleasure to share a sphere with you. You know how to reach us should you need anything.

This pretty much sums up my feelings as well.

I guess the good news is that it was a somewhat easy fix and now we all know not to deal with the alliance in question.

Sorry to hear about this. Please share with us whom this alliance is. As a public service for Planet Bob so we all know who we may be dealing with.

I agree with this, it would indeed be helpful to all of Planet Bob if it knows the alliance who shelters such a member