In Wellington.

LeVentNoir

LeVentNoir sat back. It was well, a time of quiet. Dawn was just rising over the eastern hills, and the grand harbour, one of the largest in the world glistened gold. Down on the wharves the southern patrol squadron was at dock for refit and resupply. The harbour had been dredged, down to a uniform depth of 70m, to allow the Glorious Aotearoan Navy to dock in it with ease. Out past the naval vessels, one of the inter island ferries was entering the harbour. Despite the train tunnel between the islands, some people still preferred the slow ride of the ferry. And in the middle was Somes Island, a rather secretive facility, rumored to be a military fortress. What actually happened there was a secret, but the defense emplacements weren't.

LeVentNoir turned his chair away from the window, and looked at the papers on his desk. It was the usual stuff. Communiques with other nations. Mostly larger ones who knew the appropriate decorum, some from smaller upstarts. Military movements. Reports on tensions around the world. Budgets and records of SOE progress. Details of populations and food distribution.

But there was more than this.

There were people.

One person.

Her.

Her image dominated the mind of the Lord. He could not concentrate. Her face drifted in and out of his vision. He had to get out. He put on his jacket, and walked out of his office with out a word. He climbed the single flight of stairs from the office floor to the roof of the building.

He stood in the cool morning air, the onshore breeze whistling across his bald head. He had a moment of calm. He had almost pushed her out of his head, the intense emotions surrounding his thoughts of her had almost dissipated, and he was almost able to forget what he had to, and return to work.

He turned, the dawn sun at his back, and started to move back towards the stairs. Then his phone started to ring. He snapped it open and placed it to his ear before looking at it.

"'Vent, we need to talk. Out pasts are starting to catch up to us." LeVentNoir was left speechless, as just when he was able to remove her from his mind, she had just walked back into his life, and this was something that could not be let to slip though his grasp.

Edited by LeVentNoir

He almost dropped the phone over the edge of the 100 story building. It was a person from his long past. How long? Years at least, more than a decade. His beard had been brown, his face smooth, and she had taunted his and fled out of his life.

"Marie, what do you want? Its been over a decade."

"'Vent, you know as well as I do that there is much that has changed. For one, the Ruler is no longer a slave to the will of his people, even when a new and brighter path he wishes to show them. I wanted to help you then. I tried. I was hoping the Lord might have it in that heart he buried deep to remember me."

"I know full well how you tried to help me. It helped. I became stronger. The people rallied to me. And they hated you. They hated what you had done. The world hated me due to what you caused me to do."

LeVentNoir paused. A single tear rolled down his lined face, and dripped off his beard. He remembered exactly what she had caused. what she had driven him to do. In his pursuit of her, he was forced to bring force and death to a place it was never meant to go. The field was gloomy in the predawn fog he remembered. Distant, disjointed sounds came though the mist. Gunfire, and shouts. Shadowy forms shot tracer rounds across the gap in the forces. He remembered looking through a clearing in the fog and seeing Marie. LeVentNoir remembered how she looked, her hard brown hair messed and splattered with dirt. Her red uniform ripped and torn. Her piercing blue eyes. LeVentNoir remembered shouldering his 20mm rifle, lining up the cross hairs, and removing the entire torso of a fighter about to shoot her in the back.

No one would have denied him his prize that day.

But a single could of smoke from the burning houses blurred his vision, and she was gone. Eluded him again. But LeVentNoir remembered his determination to find her, to....

Snapping back to reality, he composed his thoughts and continued the conversation.

"Those people had to die Marie. There was no other way. I could not let what was happening between us become global knowledge. It would have weakened the State. Nations would have seen it as chink in the Imperial Armour."

"I know 'Vent. What happened that lead to that massacre on those fields was something beautiful I thought at the time. Now I still think of it as an example of what two dedicated souls can do together."

LeVentNoir simply shook his head. How could he have been so foolish? He should have seen the consequences of her actions, and how paying attention to her only made her bolder. He had found himself swept up in finding her, in anticipating where he would meet her next, and how he would handle that meeting.

"I knew full well what would have happened. Thats why it happened like it did. I choose to stop it before more people got hurt. I cannot deny, I ordered the murder of those people, but I was forced to, by the populace. However, I will admit, there was not little satisfaction knowing that their deaths would let me hold onto you. You were too valuable to give up.

"Indeed, I remember the passion you pursued me with. It was a deep fire within your soul, and it raised the spirits of those around you. But the past is the past, and the question is, would LeVentNoir, Ruler of Imperial Wellington, reborn as #1, revealed as LeVentNoir, Duke of Wellington and Lord of Glorious Aotearoa care to meet with Marie, Daughter of Costa Sova?"