How NPO lost the game

zigbigadorlou

Note: this was intended as a resignation thread. I got demasked too early. In any case, it applies to you all.

As a member of the fair activity of CyberNations.net, I formally have to protest my existence in the alliance of New Pacific Order. Although I have not been in this place for very long, it has been sufficient time to notice precisely why it is called the "ebil En Pee Oh". It is my goal to now iterate these points.

The purpose of a game

The purpose of a game or other such activity is essentially to relieve boredom in a pleasurable manner. The first problem I see in the New Pacific Order is the failure to do such things. Before I continue, I must note that this does not count OOC occurrences (IRC etc.) as those things are non unique to CN. In order to win the game in my mind, one must fulfill its purpose. One must have fun. The problems unique to CN start with...

Work

"This alliance is the best because of the hard work of hundreds of people." This sentiment saturated my time here. This thought, that one must work for greatness, that NPO is the best because of work, that this work is desirable, is despicable. A fleece has been pulled over your eyes by the world. Because NPO is the biggest, people assume that they have won, and therefore have a strange urge to continue with it. The problem however lies in that it is not achieving its major goal except for a few. Those such as Moo, Koona, Bilrow, etc. who are the leaders seem to gain a sort of sense of achievement that they truly made it as they did. Of course, its more of a part time job for them. Then there is the middle class who find a sense of belonging because they are bored, sad individuals who find this alliance as a niche. Then the lower class, the lazy majority. These are the ones with the sentiments "I want some war" and "I need to use my nukes" and "WTF why'd we have to fight Jarheads?" For these people, they simply know nothing else. As such, even though NPO does occasionally provide war, it has still failed by promoting peace. It instead promotes work. Work occupies, however it essentially kills the game. I do allow that some work is good, however that work ought to have direct consequences and a direct pleasurable outcome, seeing as this is A GAME.

tl;dr : Because NPO emphasizes work, they lost the game.

Battle

The NPO is good at battle. Some would say that they cannot lose. Some would say that they have won the game. The problem with this is that almost all that many seek is war. There are the occasional killjoys who want to peacefully grow their nation to be as big as possible, but for the rest of us, we want something more than collect taxes, pay bills, do a tech deal. We want politics. We want drama. We want an enemy. We want war. In any game, if there is no problem, there's nothing interesting to do. It becomes meaningless work. One must note that I do not consider Vox as an enemy because essentially they do not care and kind of fail at life. The government, I must admit, has done a good job to pretend that there is a goal, but that is the fleece that has been pulled. I am here to tell you that there really isn't one. Maintaining is an uninteresting, boring, day to day thing. It certainly is necessary at times, however in excess of a year is too much. Because of the maintenance, no one rises up. The emphasis on work causes a deemphasis on battle. No one dares legitimately touch you. Because battle is a key part to an interesting game, NPO is losing the game.

tl;dr : NPO killed its enemies. Because there's no one to fight, they lost the game.

Efficiency

This ties the two together. Because NPO strives for efficiency and the natural goal of being the best ever, they have no purpose except to maintain the greatness, have no desire except to keep the peace, and cannot truly achieve the purpose of the game because they are stuck on the natural ideas.

Solution

I bring this not to dis the NPO, but to improve it. At its heart lies a capacity for interest and awesomeness, waiting to be brought out. And a bunch of unthinking workers who have nothing better to do.

The solution I bring forth is one that none of you will like because it is not natural. It goes against what real life tell you. I propose we do away with the natural ideals: Trust, Compassion, anti-espionage, Honor, etc. in favor of a more intelligent one. One of a Hobbesian state of nature with people that are willing to do whatever it takes to get the most out of their existence. When I say this, I say this to all of Planet Bob. The only one who is getting close is Vox, and they suck at life. Even so, they are winning. At least on the part of Electron Sponge, when he gave up his right to care, he started having fun. This is similar to what I propose. Uncaring caring. Take some risks. Further yourselves. Backstab, band apart, band together, have some fun. And remember: anyone is a target. There is no trust.

Peace is a lie. There is only Passion.

The Internet is SRS BSNS.

or as some like to say,

MAIM KILL BURN

The lower class have nothing to lose but your wool.

FIGHTING CLASS OF THE WORLD UNITE!

edit:spelling etc.

Edited by zigbigadorlou

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is all assuming that we accept your definition of victory, winning, fun, etc.

Indeed. I'm not sure how not having fun at a game is winning, but by all means continue on.

QFT.

So, your argument is, because NPO always strives to be the best... they fail? Am I understanding that right?

Precisely.

By the way, War is peace. And peace is a lie.

Note: this was intended as a resignation thread. I got demasked too early. In any case, it applies to you all.

You were demasked when you applied to another alliance while still under our AA, if that is what you mean by "too early."

So wait, this is supposed to be a resignation thread?

If so, you could have just resigned and saved the pixels that your useless wall of text wasted..... :rolleyes:

Everything in that grand wall of text you wrote is open to individual criticism. The game is what you make of it, not how it is dictated to you.

Go in peace.

QFT.

So, your argument is, because NPO always strives to be the best... they fail? Am I understanding that right?

Indeed. I'm not sure how not having fun at a game is winning, but by all means continue on.

Precisely.

By the way, War is peace. And peace is a lie.

I think the problem you're having here is not understanding that "winning" in a game like CyberNations is a personal viewpoint. For you, winning is evidently... logging in and smiling happily at your pixels, I guess? For others, including many of my fellow Pacificans, winning is knowing that you, and if not you your comrades, can beat the ever-loving snot out of anyone else in the game.

So wait, this is supposed to be a resignation thread?

If so, you could have just resigned and saved the pixels that your useless wall of text wasted..... :rolleyes:

Everything in that grand wall of text you wrote is open to individual criticism. The game is what you make of it, not how it is dictated to you.

Go in peace.

I am trying to. I simply had some things on my mind about the experience. This game is what you make of it, and it was my goal to help us all win by making it interesting. Simply by posting this, it seems I have won. Even so, I am concerned with the health of my nation and do wish to understand why I cannot go in peace.

So if the NPO didn't exist, there wouldn't be any backstabbing in CN :rolleyes:

The point is that backstabbing is a legitimate tactic in increasing the overall good. In or out of NPO.

A note to the person who eventually finds the flaw in my ideas: Simply because you say that you are "making the game more interesting by ZIing zig" does not mean you are "winning". If you allow me to die, I will be a useless carcass and nothing good will come of me. If I live, I will continue on in life with a small scar and try to be productive. Does that mean I will backstab everyone? Certainly not. Only if there was a clear way to win would I do such a thing. It is simply a tool, not a constant.