Chronicles of a deposed Leader

JEDCJT

OOC: As stated in the other thread, this thread is a continuation of the thread, "Pax Byzantium". This thread, however, shall focus on the adventures of deposed leaders Jed and Aaron Constantine, as they escape to freedom, to Promised Land. Hope ya enjoy. ^_^

(Also, Subtle, you can post your reply here, and we'll continue on that. :))

Edited by JEDCJT

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jed remained silent for several seconds, silently debating on whether to tell her he was once the leader of a nation. He'd decided to tell her later, because he felt she wouldn't believe him. "Heh, really? We always knew we were interesting, being the Byzantine Brothers and all that." Jed joked. "To answer your question, I'm from Byzantium. You?"

From the corner of his eyes, Jed could see Aaron grinning and flashing him a thumbs up.

'The Byzantine Brothers?' Laurel Asire thought. 'Surely he doesn't mean what I think he means? What would possess them to come to our nation? No, must be someone else.' Her face betrayed none of these thoughts.

As for his question, she raised an eyebrow, but didn't point out that the answer was kind of obvious, seeing as she was a crew member on one of Promised Land's patrol craft.

"Promised Land. More specifically, I'm from Melbourne. You might have heard of it, the trade city that is now run jointly by the local citizens of both Promised Land and New Cymru."

OOC: Just so you know, Jed, I italicize something if it's thoughts. I only worry about quotation marks in the case of something being spoken out loud.

'The Byzantine Brothers?' Laurel Asire thought. 'Surely he doesn't mean what I think he means? What would possess them to come to our nation? No, must be someone else.' Her face betrayed none of these thoughts.

As for his question, she raised an eyebrow, but didn't point out that the answer was kind of obvious, seeing as she was a crew member on one of Promised Land's patrol craft.

"Promised Land. More specifically, I'm from Melbourne. You might have heard of it, the trade city that is now run jointly by the local citizens of both Promised Land and New Cymru."

OOC: Just so you know, Jed, I italicize something if it's thoughts. I only worry about quotation marks in the case of something being spoken out loud.

OOC: Alright, got it. ;)

IC: Jed smiled. "Melbourne? I hear it is a wonderful place. You see, when I was still in po--um, I mean, I've wanted to visit Promised Land and New Cymru. Yes, I've heard of it." He paused for a moment, mentally chastising himself for almost revealing it to her. "Out of curiosity, have you been to Byzantium?"

OOC: C wut I just did thar? :awesome:

Edited by JEDCJT

OOC: Maybe I should scoot Ran over to PL, drag Martens, Zamoyski, Fermi, Uberstein, and the old Saborian Chairman out of half-death and we can have a 'Deposed Leaders Consortium' or sommfin. :P:awesome:

I jest of course. :P

OOC: ...that would be EPIC WIN :awesome:

OOC: That would be so awesome :awesome:

OOC: This. :awesome:

OOC: Alright, got it. ;)

IC: Jed smiled. "Melbourne? I hear it is a wonderful place. You see, when I was still in po--um, I mean, I've wanted to visit Promised Land and New Cymru. Yes, I've heard of it." He paused for a moment, mentally chastising himself for almost revealing it to her. "Out of curiosity, have you been to Byzantium?"

OOC: C wut I just did thar? :awesome:

OOC: Yes, I do... -_-

IC: "Nope, can't say that I have," she answered honestly. "though my brother went there with his friend, just before the beginning of the war. Haven't heard from them since...he'll probably turn up sooner or later, worn and looking a little worse for the wear, but with many tales of daring and bravery, how he single-handedly fought off a dozen soldiers and a tank, or something like that."

OOC: Can you guess who she's referring to? :P Sorry, i couldn't resist throwing that in.

IC: She shook her head at the thought of her brother's tall tales. "OK, I answered your question, now it's your turn. You must have a last name, so what is it?" She tilted her head, genuinely interested. That slip of the tongue he'd had had piqued her curiosity. "I gave you my full name, now how about yours?"

OOC: :awesome: I totally thought of that nickname first.

OOC: What, the Byzantine Brothers? I called them the Brothers Constantine.

OOC: Maybe I should scoot Ran over to PL, drag Martens, Zamoyski, Fermi, Uberstein, and the old Saborian Chairman out of half-death and we can have a 'Deposed Leaders Consortium' or sommfin. :P:awesome:

I jest of course. :P

OOC: Jest or no, most of those would actually be made welcome here, except for maybe Martens and Zamoyski. Uberstein would have to be kept semi-secret, but he'd have a place with his son... :D

OOC: Zamoyski isn't deposed, he's still a very important ethnic leader, military strategist and economist. Right now he's working for Camberlin. He could have been the leader of Prussia if I wished.

OOC: So he left, but of his own choice. Am I correct in that assumption?

OOC: Yes, I do... -_-

IC: "Nope, can't say that I have," she answered honestly. "though my brother went there with his friend, just before the beginning of the war. Haven't heard from them since...he'll probably turn up sooner or later, worn and looking a little worse for the wear, but with many tales of daring and bravery, how he single-handedly fought off a dozen soldiers and a tank, or something like that."

OOC: Can you guess who she's referring to? :P Sorry, i couldn't resist throwing that in.

OOC: Hm, is it Jacques? Do pardon me if I'm wrong... :ph34r:

IC: Jed raised an eyebrow. "Ah, I hope your brother gets back, safely." He said sincerely, smiling. "Besides, you should go to Byzantium sometimes. It's a great place, so to say. It's not safe right now, of course, especially when--uh, yeah. But it's a great place." The former Prime Minister mentally cursed himself for doing it again.

IC: She shook her head at the thought of her brother's tall tales. "OK, I answered your question, now it's your turn. You must have a last name, so what is it?" She tilted her head, genuinely interested. That slip of the tongue he'd had had piqued her curiosity. "I gave you my full name, now how about yours?"

Jed froze up, his eyes widening slightly. He'd known it would come sooner or later, but...so soon? But ah, better to go through with it, after all. "Well...my last name is Constantine. Jed Constantine." He replied, mentally bracing himself for whatever that was to come.

OOC: Hm, is it Jacques? Do pardon me if I'm wrong... :ph34r:

OOC: Nope. Evidently you missed the part about "My brother and his friend..." :P

IC: Jed raised an eyebrow. "Ah, I hope your brother gets back, safely." He said sincerely, smiling. "Besides, you should go to Byzantium sometimes. It's a great place, so to say. It's not safe right now, of course, especially when--uh, yeah. But it's a great place." The former Prime Minister mentally cursed himself for doing it again.

"Oh, he'll be fine, I'm sure. He always is."

Jed froze up, his eyes widening slightly. He'd known it would come sooner or later, but...so soon? But ah, better to go through with it, after all. "Well...my last name is Constantine. Jed Constantine." He replied, mentally bracing himself for whatever that was to come.

She blinked. She'd noticed his hesitation earlier, and again when he'd been expressing that he hoped her brother was fine...so really, the revelation of the name didn't shock her. Well, not much...really. It still caught her a little off-guard that he was able to admit it, but that was to be expected. She stared at him now, as she leaned forward with her elbows on the table, propping her chin up with her linked hands.

"So that's why you hesitated when you introduced yourself." She commented, then bit her lip before taking the plunge and asking the next question. "Why did you pick Promised Land as your destination? I'm sure you could have found safe haven among your allies. Rebel Army, the USNA...hell, Camberlain probably would have taken you in too. Or maybe even Tranvaal. they're about as neutral as you can get. I wouldn't be surprised to find they've harbored several other deposed leaders in the past."

OOC: Nope. Evidently you missed the part about "My brother and his friend..." :P

She blinked. She'd noticed his hesitation earlier, and again when he'd been expressing that he hoped her brother was fine...so really, the revelation of the name didn't shock her. Well, not much...really. It still caught her a little off-guard that he was able to admit it, but that was to be expected. She stared at him now, as she leaned forward with her elbows on the table, propping her chin up with her linked hands.

"So that's why you hesitated when you introduced yourself." She commented, then bit her lip before taking the plunge and asking the next question. "Why did you pick Promised Land as your destination? I'm sure you could have found safe haven among your allies. Rebel Army, the USNA...hell, Camberlain probably would have taken you in too. Or maybe even Tranvaal. they're about as neutral as you can get. I wouldn't be surprised to find they've harbored several other deposed leaders in the past."

OOC: Darn, I'll have to keep on guessing...hey, is it these two agents? :ph34r:

IC: Jed smiled nervously as he nodded his head. She had certainly taken it...well, so to say. "Well...it was more of a spur of the moment thing, as you can see." Jed chuckled. "But seriously, the reason we decided to go to Promised Land was that...we felt we could trust them, that it was a safe sanctuary and the like -- despite on opposing sides. That, and if we didnt decide to go there, well...I wouldn't meet a beautiful woman like you." He grinned, winking.

At that moment, Aaron sauntered over to the two. "Hey bro!" He drawled. Noticing the young woman, he grinned. "Well, hello." Leaning toward his brother's ear, Aaron whispered in a low voice, "Well, you've certainly found the right one, bro." He smirked. Jed rolled his eyes.

Turning to Laurel, Jed chuckled. "This is Aaron, my brother."

Edited by JEDCJT

OOC: Darn, I'll have to keep on guessing...hey, is it these two agents? :ph34r:

IC: Jed smiled nervously as he nodded his head. She had certainly taken it...well, so to say. "Well...it was more of a spur of the moment thing, as you can see." Jed chuckled. "But seriously, the reason we decided to go to Promised Land was that...we felt we could trust them, that it was a safe sanctuary and the like -- despite on opposing sides. That, and if we didnt decide to go there, well...I wouldn't meet a beautiful woman like you." He grinned, winking.

At that moment, Aaron sauntered over to the two. "Hey bro!" He drawled. Noticing the young woman, he grinned. "Well, hello." Leaning toward his brother's ear, Aaron whispered in a low voice, "Well, you've certainly found the right one, bro." He smirked. Jed rolled his eyes.

Turning to Laurel, Jed chuckled. "This is Aaron, my brother."

OOC: Correct, she is referring to the more talkative agent as her brother, and the silent one as the friend.

IC: She grinned from ear to ear at the compliment he gave her. Oh, she knew she was attractive, but it was nice to hear it every once in a while (and preferably from a man).

As Aaron whispered in his brother's ear, she tried to hear what he said, at the same time trying to look like that was what she was NOT doing. It didn't do any good, though, because the next moment, Jed introduced him.

"Nice to meet you, Aaron," she said, holding out a hand for him to shake if he wished. "Even if he hadn't told me who you were, I would have guessed. I've often heard that you two are nearly inseperable."

OOC: Wait, wasn't he in Prussia?

OOC: That's what I thought, too, but apparently not.

OOC: Correct, she is referring to the more talkative agent as her brother, and the silent one as the friend.

IC: She grinned from ear to ear at the compliment he gave her. Oh, she knew she was attractive, but it was nice to hear it every once in a while (and preferably from a man).

As Aaron whispered in his brother's ear, she tried to hear what he said, at the same time trying to look like that was what she was NOT doing. It didn't do any good, though, because the next moment, Jed introduced him.

"Nice to meet you, Aaron," she said, holding out a hand for him to shake if he wished. "Even if he hadn't told me who you were, I would have guessed. I've often heard that you two are nearly inseperable."

OOC: My...what a concidence, eh? :awesome:

IC: Jed grinned at her. She was a truly beautiful young woman, indeed. Meanwhile, Aaron smiled and shook hands with Laurel. "Nice to meet ya. He didnt introduce me, eh?" He remarked, shooting a playful glare at Jed. "Ya, we're nearly inseperable, although we only met a few years ago."

Jed chuckled. "Ah, yes. His arrival in Turkey was quite unexpected. Turns out there was an ancient prophecy that had seemingly been overturned by the formation of Nova Roma and the recent coup, so to say."

The former Emperor smirked. "Yes, true. But it was a historical moment. Ah, good ol' days, heh." Both brothers were smiling.

OOC: My...what a concidence, eh? :awesome:

IC: Jed grinned at her. She was a truly beautiful young woman, indeed. Meanwhile, Aaron smiled and shook hands with Laurel. "Nice to meet ya. He didnt introduce me, eh?" He remarked, shooting a playful glare at Jed. "Ya, we're nearly inseperable, although we only met a few years ago."

Jed chuckled. "Ah, yes. His arrival in Turkey was quite unexpected. Turns out there was an ancient prophecy that had seemingly been overturned by the formation of Nova Roma and the recent coup, so to say."

The former Emperor smirked. "Yes, true. But it was a historical moment. Ah, good ol' days, heh." Both brothers were smiling.

OOC: Indeed. But still, I could not resist.

IC: After observing the exchange, she chuckled and shook her head slighly. "Yes, I can see the rumors were true. You are quite the pair. I can only guess it's a good thing you were raised apart, prophecy or no. Otherwise, there's no telling what mischief you might have gotten into."

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

OOC: Indeed. But still, I could not resist.

IC: After observing the exchange, she chuckled and shook her head slighly. "Yes, I can see the rumors were true. You are quite the pair. I can only guess it's a good thing you were raised apart, prophecy or no. Otherwise, there's no telling what mischief you might have gotten into."

OOC: So I see... :P

IC: Both Jed and Aaron chuckled. "Yes, indeed. We could've gotten in a lot of trouble -- mainly because of Aaron's partying ways." Jed joked.

"Hey! I'm not always like that, y'know!" Aaron chuckled as he slapped Jed upside the head. Turning to Laurel, he continued, "Please do pardon us, we've always been like this, so to say."

Jed rolled his eyes. "Loser." He whispered under his breath. Turning to Laurel, Jed grinned. "Yes, we're quite mischievous. You can say that." He joked.

OOC: So I see... :P

IC: Both Jed and Aaron chuckled. "Yes, indeed. We could've gotten in a lot of trouble -- mainly because of Aaron's partying ways." Jed joked.

"Hey! I'm not always like that, y'know!" Aaron chuckled as he slapped Jed upside the head. Turning to Laurel, he continued, "Please do pardon us, we've always been like this, so to say."

Jed rolled his eyes. "Loser." He whispered under his breath. Turning to Laurel, Jed grinned. "Yes, we're quite mischievous. You can say that." He joked.

She struggled not to laugh. It helped that she'd done some basic time in the army's boot camp, as required for all members of ANY branch of the military, but still, she couldn't stop the shaking that came from suppressed laughter.

Once she had sufficiently recovered her composure, she took on a rather stern expression. "Well, try not to get into any shennanigans while on this ship. You wouldn't want to distract the crew while we were navigating around a coral reef, or something." She waved a finger in Aaron's direction as she spoke, winking at Jed when his brother couldn't see.

She struggled not to laugh. It helped that she'd done some basic time in the army's boot camp, as required for all members of ANY branch of the military, but still, she couldn't stop the shaking that came from suppressed laughter.

Once she had sufficiently recovered her composure, she took on a rather stern expression. "Well, try not to get into any shennanigans while on this ship. You wouldn't want to distract the crew while we were navigating around a coral reef, or something." She waved a finger in Aaron's direction as she spoke, winking at Jed when his brother couldn't see.

Both Jed and Aaron chuckled and glanced at each other. "Yes, ma'am." They chorused together. Jed, however, saw the wink and grinned.

"You can trust us on that." Aaron smirked. "We wont cause too much trouble...much. Besides, do you want me to leave you two lovebirds alone?"

Edited by JEDCJT

Both Jed and Aaron chuckled and glanced at each other. "Yes, ma'am." They chorused together. Jed, however, saw the wink and grinned.

"You can trust us on that." Aaron smirked. "We wont cause too much trouble...much. Besides, do you want me to leave you two lovebirds alone?"

She took his question in stride, but her eyes twinkled with good humor. "It would be a little hard to leave us alone when this is the galley. In case you haven't noticed, this is where everyone comes to eat...and there's not many places where you can be alone on a ship this size."

By this time, a few of the people who had been there left, but there were still a good half-a-dozen people other than themselves still there--icluding the woman at the next table who was still engrossed in her book. She might even have been attractive, but they couldn;t see her face due to that book...

OOC: There, someone for Aaron to talk to if he wants... ;)

She took his question in stride, but her eyes twinkled with good humor. "It would be a little hard to leave us alone when this is the galley. In case you haven't noticed, this is where everyone comes to eat...and there's not many places where you can be alone on a ship this size."

By this time, a few of the people who had been there left, but there were still a good half-a-dozen people other than themselves still there--icluding the woman at the next table who was still engrossed in her book. She might even have been attractive, but they couldn;t see her face due to that book...

OOC: There, someone for Aaron to talk to if he wants... ;)

OOC: Indeed... :lol:

IC: Aaron smirked. "So you say, miss. Especially whe--" He trailed off as he noticed a beautiful woman sitting at the next table, reading a book. A grin slowly forming on his face, Aaron turned to Laurel and Jed. "Well, you know what? I'll leave ya two alone. Talk to ya later, bro. Bye Laurel. It was nice meeting ya." With that, the former Emperor slapped his brother on the back and sauntered over to the other table.

Jed rolled his eyes. "Do forgive him. He's a bit of a player, so to say."

"Hey!" Aaron's voice was heard.

Chuckling, the former Prime Minister shook his head a bit. "I'm serious, though. He keeps on trying to invite me to wild parties or to bars." Jed paused for a moment as he gazed into Laurel's eyes and smiled. "So...tell me about yourself, if you don't mind."

OOC: Indeed... :lol:

IC: Aaron smirked. "So you say, miss. Especially whe--" He trailed off as he noticed a beautiful woman sitting at the next table, reading a book. A grin slowly forming on his face, Aaron turned to Laurel and Jed. "Well, you know what? I'll leave ya two alone. Talk to ya later, bro. Bye Laurel. It was nice meeting ya." With that, the former Emperor slapped his brother on the back and sauntered over to the other table.

Jed rolled his eyes. "Do forgive him. He's a bit of a player, so to say."

"Hey!" Aaron's voice was heard.

Chuckling, the former Prime Minister shook his head a bit. "I'm serious, though. He keeps on trying to invite me to wild parties or to bars." Jed paused for a moment as he gazed into Laurel's eyes and smiled. "So...tell me about yourself, if you don't mind."

Aaron would have a time prying the woman away from her book, but it might be...interesting to watch, to say the least.

She shrugged. "Well, not much to tell, really. I enlisted when the laws were passed that allowed women to do so, took the required time in ann army boot camp, so I'd at least know the basics of fighting in case we're ever boarded, and, well, here I am."