Escape from Byzantium

JEDCJT

OOC: Now that my thread, "Pax Byzantium", has run its course, I suppose I would create a couple of new threads more focused on two adventures, one of them being the Promised Land agents' attempts to escape from Byzantium. This thread shall continue where the previous thread left off.

IC: As stated before, the City of Mersin was a heavily-policed city, meaning that surveillance are rampant and security are everywhere. It would take nothing short of a miracle for the two agents to escape from Mersin successfully. They would have to somehow evade Gizli Polis and regular police officials, make it through several checkpoints, and to try to get a pass that would enable them to get on a ship that would carry them away from Byzantium. And that's with the fact that Byzantium doesn't have many active trade routes, meaning that not as many ships travel to and from Mersin, which is one of the least active ports in Byzantium.

Edited by JEDCJT

OOC: And just so everyone else knows, this is between Jed and me only. And it's classified.

IC: The police weren't so difficult to evade. Like before, they knew that the best way to avoid attention is to look like you belong, that you knew where you were going and you had good, legitimate reasons to be there. That being covered, the larger agent strode calmly in the direction of the docks. Not much talking would be required anyway to find out just how many ships there were coming in and going out on any particular day.

The other managed to find a discrete place where he could sell the submachine guns (OOC: I can't remember what you said they were, Jed, so if I'm wrong, I apologize/OOC) they had taken off the guards at the prison, to obtain at least a little money. After informing the buyer where they could be picked up (in a trash can a few blocks away), he was given enough cash to get them by for abbout three days.

Three days to find a way out.

OOC: Oh, yes. I forgot to mention that. Thanks, Subtle. :D

Also, does the agents have high tolerance to pain, or anything like that? Considering that they took quite a treatment from the Gizli Polis guards back in that building... (By the way, it's Desert Eagles and sub-machine guns. ;))

IC: It was a wonder that the Nationalists, nor the Gizli Polis, weren't aware about the 'secret shop'. The owner of the place, a old man with a crooked smile, took in the guns and exchanged them for money worth about $3,000. "They shall be picked up as you arranged." He croaked to the agent as he took the weapons to the back.

Meanwhile, the docks were nearly empty, save for several Gizli Polis officials hanging out; there were a few ships, indeed. The agents would need to utilize their time.

After all, it was running out...

Edited by JEDCJT

OOC: Oh, yes. I forgot to mention that. Thanks, Subtle. :D

Also, does the agents have high tolerance to pain, or anything like that? Considering that they took quite a treatment from the Gizli Polis guards back in that building... (By the way, it's Desert Eagles and sub-machine guns. ;) )

IC: It was a wonder that the Nationalists, nor the Gizli Polis, weren't aware about the 'secret shop'. The owner of the place, with a a old man with a crooked smile, took in the guns and exchanged them for money worth about $3,000. "They shall be picked up as you arranged." He croaked to the agent as he took the weapons to the back.

Meanwhile, the docks were nearly empty, save for several Gizli Polis officials hanging out; there were a few ships, indeed. The agents would need to utilize their time.

After all, it was running out...

OOC: Thanks. And yes, they have a high pain tolerance. You remember Lynneth's little thread on the training of his BNops? Theirs, while not identical, is similar.

IC:

Agent#1: "Pleasure doing business with you," the agent said, as he pocketed the money. he had not, of course, used his real face during the transaction, opting instead to use some more of the make-up they had stolen to artificially "age" himself. He then left, discretely making sure he wasn't followed, and headed to the pre-arranged meeting place, a small cafe a few streets over.

#2: Seeing the ships there wasn't enough. he had to figure out how often new ships came in and how often they left port.

OOC: Thanks. And yes, they have a high pain tolerance. You remember Lynneth's little thread on the training of his BNops? Theirs, while not identical, is similar.

IC:

Agent#1: "Pleasure doing business with you," the agent said, as he pocketed the money. he had not, of course, used his real face during the transaction, opting instead to use some more of the make-up they had stolen to artificially "age" himself. He then left, discretely making sure he wasn't followed, and headed to the pre-arranged meeting place, a small cafe a few streets over.

#2: Seeing the ships there wasn't enough. he had to figure out how often new ships came in and how often they left port.

OOC: I'm proud to see that my stuff is being used as a standard somewhere. :awesome:

Also, great thread. Moar! :popcorn:

IC:

OOC: Hehe, so I see... :awesome:

IC: The cafe, interestingly named the "Jewel of Mersin", was a bustling place. It served all types of food, as such as sweets, hamburgers, sandwiches, pastries, soft drinks, and as such, at modest prices -- which was interesting, considering the fact that Byzantium had a mostly closed economy. Also, it was one of the few businesses in Mersin that wasn't nationalized.

Quite a few ships would come and leave Mersin, but there would be an announcement soon that two new ships were coming to the city in two days. The agents would have to plan ahead as it was only a matter of time before a certain somebody found out about their absence and sent the Gizli Polis on a manhunt...

OOC: ;)

Edited by JEDCJT

OOC: Hehe, so I see... :awesome:

IC: The cafe, interestingly named the "Jewel of Mersin", was a bustling place. It served all types of food, as such as sweets, hamburgers, sandwiches, pastries, soft drinks, and as such, at modest prices -- which was interesting, considering the fact that Byzantium had a mostly closed economy. Also, it was one of the few businesses in Mersin that wasn't nationalized.

Quite a few ships would come and leave Mersin, but there would be an announcement soon that two new ships were coming to the city in two days. The agents would have to plan ahead as it was only a matter of time before a certain somebody found out about their absence and sent the Gizli Polis on a manhunt...

OOC: ;)

The cafe had been chosen mainly for the modest prices it set. After all, they had to spend as little cash as possible. Who knew how they could get any more.

Once the second agent returned from his mission at the docks, they ordered sandwiches and soft drinks. Simple was always best. While they ate, they conversed in low tones. Any police officer they happened to see was given a cursory glance before they resumed their chat, as if they had been used to seeing such things for as long as they'd been in existance. However, to be careful, they conversed not in English, but in one of the Aboriginal tribal languages, to prevent being understood in the unlikely event someone were to overhear them.

"Two ships, two days from now," said the second, as he took a bite of his sndwich.

"Not much time," the first said. "The only problem is getting the ID's in that time. Without them, it appears we're stuck. With them, we can book passage, or even get ourselves hired to the crew. It would probably be best if we split up when the time comes, just in case."

The other nodded. "Spotted a place to get ID's on the way back...but only as a last resort."

OOC: He's referring to whatever place you have that issues such Identification. Need to know what it's called, and what kind of security, just in case I do take that route.

The cafe had been chosen mainly for the modest prices it set. After all, they had to spend as little cash as possible. Who knew how they could get any more.

Once the second agent returned from his mission at the docks, they ordered sandwiches and soft drinks. Simple was always best. While they ate, they conversed in low tones. Any police officer they happened to see was given a cursory glance before they resumed their chat, as if they had been used to seeing such things for as long as they'd been in existance. However, to be careful, they conversed not in English, but in one of the Aboriginal tribal languages, to prevent being understood in the unlikely event someone were to overhear them.

"Two ships, two days from now," said the second, as he took a bite of his sndwich.

"Not much time," the first said. "The only problem is getting the ID's in that time. Without them, it appears we're stuck. With them, we can book passage, or even get ourselves hired to the crew. It would probably be best if we split up when the time comes, just in case."

The other nodded. "Spotted a place to get ID's on the way back...but only as a last resort."

OOC: He's referring to whatever place you have that issues such Identification. Need to know what it's called, and what kind of security, just in case I do take that route.

The cafe was teeming with people, indeed. Nobody, not even the vigilant Gizli Polis and police officers were even aware that there were two agents in their midst. Everyone else was going about their business as usual.

Although it would be difficult for the agents to get off Mersin without IDs, there was a place where anyone could register for one. The place the agent had spotted was a Gizli Polis "National ID Center", where anyone could sign some forms and be issued an identification card. Interestingly, it wasn't heavily-guarded or closely-watched; only a few low-level Gizli Polis officers oversaw business in the ID Center.

OOC: The answer's in there. :P

Edited by JEDCJT

The cafe was teeming with people, indeed. Nobody, not even the vigilant Gizli Polis and police officers were even aware that there were two agents in their midst. Everyone else was going about their business as usual.

Although it would be difficult for the agents to get off Mersin without IDs, there was a place where anyone could register for one. The place the agent had spotted was a Gizli Polis "National ID Center", where anyone could sign some forms and be issued an identification card. Interestingly, it wasn't heavily-guarded or closely-watched; only a few low-level Gizli Polis officers oversaw business in the ID Center.

OOC: The answer's in there. :P

Try as they might, they could find no other option. Working from a low-rent apartment (paid on a day-by-day basis), they searched for a whole day, but in vain, for another way to obtain an ID.

They would have to try their luck at the "National ID Center" the next day, as time was running out for them. The ships would sail the next day, and surely Millet would have put the bullitin out for them by now. The disguises might help there, but it only took one moment in the wrong place for it to slip...

Try as they might, they could find no other option. Working from a low-rent apartment (paid on a day-by-day basis), they searched for a whole day, but in vain, for another way to obtain an ID.

They would have to try their luck at the "National ID Center" the next day, as time was running out for them. The ships would sail the next day, and surely Millet would have put the bullitin out for them by now. The disguises might help there, but it only took one moment in the wrong place for it to slip...

Surely, Millet had found out. The bodies had been discovered, and an enraged Millet ordered the Gizli Polis to find the agents, in any way possible ("Find them! When you do...execute them immediately!"). But despite their vigilance and prowess, the Gizli Polis had little to no luck into finding the agents, which had seemingly...disappeared.

But continue on the effort, they did. And in a public way. Soon, there would be an announcement all over the city that 'criminals' had escaped from 'jail' and the populace was to help them to find and capture them. They even released the photographs of the agents for good measure. Gizli Polis officials, soldiers, and vans could be seen everywhere on the streets, asking passerbys about information and the like. They meant business.

Edited by JEDCJT

Surely, Millet had found out. The bodies had been discovered, and an enraged Millet ordered the Gizli Polis to find the agents, in any way possible ("Find them! When you do...execute them immediately!"). But despite their vigilance and prowess, the Gizli Polis had little to no luck into finding the agents, which had seemingly...disappeared.

But continue on the effort, they did. And in a public way. Soon, there would be an announcement all over the city that 'criminals' had escaped from 'jail' and the populace was to help them to find and capture them. They even released the photographs of the agents for good measure. Gizli Polis officials, soldiers, and vans could be seen everywhere on the streets, asking passerbys about information and the like. They meant business.

In an odd way, it actually helped the agents. Since their disguises made them look very different (you'd be surprised how much altering your skin color and facial features changes one's appearance), they would not be found unless they unkowingly made a mistake. No, this most definitely alerted them to the fact that their escape had been noted. Evidently Millet was a man controlled by his emotions, because if he'd been a little more circumspect, he would have initiated a more quiet search, a more subtle one. He might have caught them by surprise, despite the fact that they knew he must have known.

As they had decided, they both went to the "National ID Center," arriving right about 11 AM. However, the second agent remained outside, just in case.

As the first agent went inside the front door, he looked around. The most straightforward approach sometimes worked the best. He'd go right up to the counter, to see if he could apply...

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

In an odd way, it actually helped the agents. Since their disguises made them look very different (you'd be surprised how much altering your skin color and facial features changes one's appearance), they would not be found unless they unkowingly made a mistake. No, this most definitely alerted them to the fact that their escape had been noted. Evidently Millet was a man controlled by his emotions, because if he'd been a little more circumspect, he would have initiated a more quiet search, a more subtle one. He might have caught them by surprise, despite the fact that they knew he must have known.

As they had decided, they both went to the "National ID Center," arriving right about 11 AM. However, the second agent remained outside, just in case.

As the first agent went inside the front door, he looked around. The most straightforward approach sometimes worked the best. He'd go right up to the counter, to see if he could apply...

Inside the Center was several Gizli Polis soldiers. A couple of low-ranking officials sat at a table nearby, organizing forms and the like. They scarcely acknowledged the agent's presence...

Edited by JEDCJT

Inside the Center was several Gizli Polis soldiers. A couple of low-ranking officials sat at a table nearby, organizing forms and the like. They scarcely acknowledged the agent's presence...

The agent walked calmly up to the front desk, giving a respectful nod to the police officers--just as if he had nothing to hide. He looked around, but didn't see anyone there, and he wasn't sure how to go about asking for someone...

The agent walked calmly up to the front desk, giving a respectful nod to the police officers--just as if he had nothing to hide. He looked around, but didn't see anyone there, and he wasn't sure how to go about asking for someone...

The police officers didnt return the nod; they just stood there, staring at him with contempt and suspicion. One of the officers at the front desk looked up, a somewhat weary expression on his face. "How may I help you, sir?" He inquired.

The police officers didnt return the nod; they just stood there, staring at him with contempt and suspicion. One of the officers at the front desk looked up, a somewhat weary expression on his face. "How may I help you, sir?" He inquired.

"Well, I thought it would be kind of obvious. I'm here to apply for an ID. I just got back into the city," He tilted his head as he continued. "...and found out it's needed for too many things not to have one," he joked.

"Well, I thought it would be kind of obvious. I'm here to apply for an ID. I just got back into the city," He tilted his head as he continued. "...and found out it's needed for too many things not to have one," he joked.

The official nodded, a bit tiredly. "Very well. Fill out this form here, and we'll process it." He said as he slid a form and a pen over to the agent. "As per the norm, when you submit your form, the earliest you can receive your ID is one to two days. The latest is one week, depending on conditions."

OOC: Sorry, but I had to put in some moar...obstacles. :awesome::ph34r:

Edited by JEDCJT

The official nodded, a bit tiredly. "Very well. Fill out this form here, and we'll process it." He said as he slid a form and a pen over to the agent. "As per the norm, when you submit your form, the earliest you can receive your ID is one to two days. The latest is one week, depending on conditions."

OOC: Sorry, but I had to put in some moar...obstacles. :awesome::ph34r:

OOC: No problem. It all makes it fun!

IC: "Thank you." The agent took it, scanning the document to see what sort of information he would need to get it filed properly.

A few minutes later after he left (so that they would not be associated with one another), the other agent would enter and ask for a form.

OOC: No problem. It all makes it fun!

IC: "Thank you." The agent took it, scanning the document to see what sort of information he would need to get it filed properly.

A few minutes later after he left (so that they would not be associated with one another), the other agent would enter and ask for a form.

The same official looked up with the same tired expression on his face. "How may I help you, sir?" The police officers watched the newcomer with suspicion.

The same official looked up with the same tired expression on his face. "How may I help you, sir?" The police officers watched the newcomer with suspicion.

"Need an ID," he said, short and simple. He wasn't mute, like the police had been told, but it wasn;t far from the truth--he never spoke more than he had to.

"Need an ID," he said, short and simple. He wasn't mute, like the police had been told, but it wasn;t far from the truth--he never spoke more than he had to.

The official nodded. "So they say. Very well. Fill out this form here, and we'll process it." He said as he slided the form over to the agent. "As per the norm, when you submit your form, the earliest you can receive your ID is one to two days. The latest is one week, depending on conditions."

OOC: It's the norm, really. ;)

The official nodded. "So they say. Very well. Fill out this form here, and we'll process it." He said as he slided the form over to the agent. "As per the norm, when you submit your form, the earliest you can receive your ID is one to two days. The latest is one week, depending on conditions."

OOC: It's the norm, really. ;)

OOC: I believe you.

IC: nodding his thanks, and adding in a grateful smile for good measure, this agent also left.

They would both come back within a matter of a couple hours to return their forms, then the silent one would go to check at the docks to see if there were any other ships they might be able to use. they could make the money stretch a couple more days if they REALLY had to.

OOC: I believe you.

IC: nodding his thanks, and adding in a grateful smile for good measure, this agent also left.

They would both come back within a matter of a couple hours to return their forms, then the silent one would go to check at the docks to see if there were any other ships they might be able to use. they could make the money stretch a couple more days if they REALLY had to.

The forms were duly submitted and processed. New IDs would come within the day. It was extraordinary luck for the agents. Meanwhile, the docks would remain deserted, although there was increased security and military presence. The ships were coming tomorrow, no doubt...

The forms were duly submitted and processed. New IDs would come within the day. It was extraordinary luck for the agents. Meanwhile, the docks would remain deserted, although there was increased security and military presence. The ships were coming tomorrow, no doubt...

Indeed, they could hardly believe their luck when the ID's were already there. They might have been suspicious, but it was still their only chance. They'd already managed to book passage on the ships, though not as passengers, but as crew--one agent to each ship, and though they were in a hurry, they still did everything they could to avoid suspicion. Their disguises were inplace, they did not hurry more than someone late to work might do, and any weapons they had on them wwere concealed well.

Ah, ah, but did the agents know anything about being in the crew of the ships? They'd better be on their guards up, because one slip-up would be the end of them -- literally. On the other hand, the ships were arriving in a short, few hours...

(OOC: You can RP the agents getting into the ships and whatnots. The ships's names are the Kelikark and the Antalya. ;))

Ah, ah, but did the agents know anything about being in the crew of the ships? They'd better be on their guards up, because one slip-up would be the end of them -- literally. On the other hand, the ships were arriving in a short, few hours...

(OOC: You can RP the agents getting into the ships and whatnots. The ships's names are the Kelikark and the Antalya. ;) )

Yes, the agents knew how to be crew-members on a ship, whether it be military or civilian, passenger or fishing trolley.

The first, more talkative one, arrived at the Kelikark, presenting his newly printed ID to the captain, who nodded. Of all things, he'd been hired on as a cook.

The other agent presented his ID to the captain of the Antalya. The man was untalkative as him, sending him to repair some of the machinery in the engine room that needed maintanence.