Why is SF so terrible?

Rebel Virginia

[color="#0000FF"]Well, I'm sure most of you by now knows who SF is. I should hope anyway. That little bloc of CSN, GOD, RIA, RnR, and RoK that so many of us are so fond of. To be fair, not all of them are awful. RIA has always been a reasonable bunch. RoK often been fair in victory, and is in some ways deserving of respect. Lord knows this war found a new respect for them on my behalf. RnR, they're just....there.

But the other two, CSN and GOD, they are the ones who truly define the bloc nowadays. Mostly GOD. So perhaps the better question is, what makes these alliances so darn awful? And why, oh why, must they drag some otherwise not so bad alliances down with them?

Since I'm a fan of order, let's do it chronologically, and begin with CSN. In case any of you missed the countless hour of fun and bickering that ensued just about a week ago, CSN demanded 40k tech from DT, a 40 nation alliance, and stated the tech could only come from DT's top tier. Putting aside the absurdity of demanding so much from such a small alliance (on a fringe front nevertheless!), and that most everyone outside CSN and GOD found the demands utterly ridiculous (even a few prominent MK members fond the terms outrageous, and rightly called CSN amateurs), what impact did CSN's little fun have on anyone? NoR is the answer. CSNs friends in DH and CnG were counting on reinforcements. They wished to see that front closed off so that resources could be moved to the NPO front. Let's not debate that war, as it is irrelevant. Let us treat it merely a fact here. Well, we all know that it eventually got clear up, but not without inconveniencing that entire side. What was CSN thinking? And surely it won't happen again?

Flash forward a few days to the NpO front. The main front of the war. VE, FOK, iFOK, PC, and countless other major alliances all engaged. This front has been going on for more than a month and a half at this point, and people want it over. Understandably so, and even more shocking are the terms: peace, just don't reenter and help NPO. Quite reasonable. A lot more reasonable than most any of us ever expected to see when this thing kicked off. Pretty much everyone is happy with those terms, except for one person.

Enter Xiphypoo, a man with a fancy for disbanding alliances. It always has been his fantasy to disband someone it seems. Goes all the way back to Karma when he wanted to disband AB, but wasn't allowed to. He complains bitterly whenever any of his allies let anyone off with anything less than disbandment (oh, the gall they have). Well, this time he doesn't have to put up with that sort of nonsense. This time he's going to get what he wants.

That's right, the reason none of you can peace out is due to one man and his insane desire to "make an example" out of UPN. UPN is by no means a good alliance. Quite frankly they're awful. But what reason does anyone have to disband them, and for what? For the detestable action of defending a long time ally? Is there any purpose or any gain to getting rid of UPN? I can't think of one. All that comes to mind for me is the loss of a valuable source of comedy. Not to mention it takes a complete arse to fantasize breaking up a community, but I digress.

So, dear denizens, what makes these two alliances so awful? Is there any logic to their awfulness? Were they created awful, or what it thrust upon them?[/color]

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither of these alliances exactly have the most level headed or competent leadership, although the leadership of both alliances are rather full of themselves and consider themselves to be "hot !@#$".

I don't think they recognize the dangers of burning bridges, nor do they recognize that they are going to be poorly positioned come the next power-shift.

Edited by memoryproblems

[quote name='memoryproblems' timestamp='1299443708' post='2654587']
Neither of these alliances exactly have the most level headed or competent leadership, although the leadership of both alliances are rather full of themselves and consider themselves to be "hot !@#$".

I don't think they recognize the dangers of burning bridges, nor do they recognize that they are going to be poorly positioned come the next power-shift.
[/quote]

Asside from GOD, what other alliance are you talking about?

[quote name='memoryproblems' timestamp='1299443708' post='2654587']
[/quote]
Clearly, disbanding UPN is worth it.

GDA fought both CSN and GOD during Karma, and as the president at the time, I interacted with the leadership of both alliances. CSN was fairly reasonable during both Karma and Bi-Polar, and I'm hoping the recent demands were simply a mistake that will not be repeated. I don't like seeing alliances travel down bad paths.

As for GOD? Let's just say, my hopes for them are nonexistent.

Edited by sippyjuice

It's not just those two but it's RoK as well, there an absolute joke. They had 700k+ NS on us, almost double our numbers and the advantage of surprise and now there currently losing by nearly 600k :lol1:

What I love about GOD/SF and the rest is that Xiphypoo can really be called an [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auteur_theory]auteur[/url]; this whole thing is one man's ego trip. It's really something to be admired that even though hundreds of people are working on this war thing, Xiphypoo's fingerprints are all over it.

Not that it really members, but DT has 50 members (49 at the moment, hasn't gone below that during the entire conflict I believe).

I share your hope that we will not do a similar thing in the future.

Although I still don't get the NoR argument. At best our interests in the DH-NPO War are very distant, I don't see how freeing NoR to enter on that front was particularly relevant to us, nor is Doomhouse really suffering because of it.

[quote name='sippyjuice' timestamp='1299444198' post='2654592']
GDA fought both CSN and GOD during Karma, and as the president at the time, I interacted with the leadership of both alliances. CSN was fairly reasonable during the times we've fought with them, and I'm hoping the recent demands were simply a mistake that will not be repeated. I don't like seeing alliances travel down bad paths.
[/quote]

We fought you in Bi-Polar too, in case you've forgotten. :P

Edited by Lord Brendan

It's quite simple: SF have been barged aside by the other two blocs on that side of the house, Complaints and Grievances and Pandora's Box, and thus now feel like they have the smallest dick in the group.

If you look at events from that perspective, it it quite clear that I am correct. For example, how does one explain the extortionate first demand by CSN for 40,000 tech from DT, unless it's a "tough guy" act meant to show everyone else how hard CSN is and how SF isn't a bunch of !@#$%*^ now that Fark has left?

Another example. Xiphosis' wish to disband alliances is on the same track; he and by extension SF, clearly want to show how hardcore they are, despite being the lowest on the power playing ladder.

I mean c'mon, Duckroll is becoming more popular than those guys.

Xiph is what is wrong with CN, plain and simple. A CN without him is a far brighter world and anyone who thinks different needs to open their eyes. He is the sole member of the upper echelon of alliance leaders trying to carry on the New Pacific Order's old style of play that we all fought so hard with to destroy.

[quote name='Lord Brendan' timestamp='1299445018' post='2654610']
Now what on earth is that supposed to mean? :huh:
[/quote]

[quote name='Natan' timestamp='1299445028' post='2654611']
Xiph is what is wrong with CN, plain and simple. A CN without him is a far brighter world and anyone who thinks different needs to open their eyes. He is the sole member of the upper echelon of alliance leaders trying to carry on the New Pacific Order's old style of play that we all fought so hard with to destroy.
[/quote]

This, exactly this.

[quote name='Antoine Roquentin' timestamp='1299445442' post='2654620']
I think you're neglecting to mention what RoK is doing currently, RV.
[/quote]

What RoK is or is not doing has absolutely no bearing on whether or not Xiph is trying to disband UPN.

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' timestamp='1299443255' post='2654582']
[color="#0000FF"]
That's right, the reason none of you can peace out is due to one man and his insane desire to "make an example" out of UPN. [/color]
[/quote]
That's part of it, but don't gloss over RoK tying everyone up by refusing to admit they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. PC isn't even giving terms aside from the standard no-reentry bit, RoK should just remember how well that worked out for you guys.

[quote name='blueski' timestamp='1299445606' post='2654625']
That's part of it, but don't gloss over RoK tying everyone up by refusing to admit they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. PC isn't even giving terms aside from the standard no-reentry bit, RoK should just remember how well that worked out for you guys.
[/quote]

That whole side of it is irrelevant to this issue. RV is technically incorrect in stating the reason there is no peace for the [i]whole[/i] front is Xiphosis' bizarre desire to disband alliances. It is, however, the only thing preventing a peace agreement from being reached on the UPN end of things, and it seems to me that Xiphosis and his incurable need to disband alliances is really the subject of this thread, not anything related to RoK.

Edited by Moridin

[quote name='Antoine Roquentin' timestamp='1299445442' post='2654620']
I think you're neglecting to mention what RoK is doing currently, RV.
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]Oh, I guess I had forgotten about RoK. That only adds to the larger question, however. What makes SF so terrible?[/color]

[quote name='Moridin' timestamp='1299445951' post='2654631']
That whole side of it is irrelevant to this issue. RV is technically incorrect in stating the reason there is no peace for the [i]whole[/i] front is Xiphosis' bizarre desire to disband alliances. It is, however, the only thing preventing a peace agreement from being reached on the UPN end of things, and it seems to me that Xiphosis and his incurable need to be an !@#$%^& is really the subject of this thread, not anything related to RoK.
[/quote]
That was a direct and relevant response to the line I quoted from the OP. Xiphosis is the main target of this thread but he is most definitely not solely responsible for tying up peace on the NpO front. Both UPN and RoK are direct allies of the central target, to get peace for NpO and the whole front everyone including RoK has to be moved out.

[quote name='Moridin' timestamp='1299445951' post='2654631']
That whole side of it is irrelevant to this issue. RV is technically incorrect in stating the reason there is no peace for the [i]whole[/i] front is Xiphosis' bizarre desire to disband alliances. It is, however, the only thing preventing a peace agreement from being reached on the UPN end of things, and it seems to me that Xiphosis and his incurable need to disband alliances is really the subject of this thread, not anything related to RoK.
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]Yes, that too. As silly as I think RoK may be acting (and I do think they're being silly), they keeping themselves at war of their own accord. UPN one the other hand is still at war because of Xiphy's strange obsession with disbanding alliances. It is true that they were offered white peace earlier in the war, but they were not interested in leaving until Polar had its out. Polar just got it recently, so UPN approached GOD for an end to the war. Now GOD doesn't want to end it. Curious, no? It's almost as if UPN isn't his real target.[/color]

[quote name='blueski' timestamp='1299446286' post='2654637']
That was a direct and relevant response to the line I quoted from the OP. Xiphosis is the main target of this thread but he is most definitely not solely responsible for tying up peace on the NpO front. Both UPN and RoK are direct allies of the central target, to get peace for NpO and the whole front everyone including RoK has to be moved out.
[/quote]

He is, however, solely responsible for tying up peace on the UPN front specifically - or do you dispute that?