What's Changing

admin

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too like most of the changes being implemented here... however

Most of the people I brought into this game from other war games quit because of the static update time favouring people living in certain time zones. The update time really does need to rotate in some way so that eveyone has an equal chance of making update attacks at some point without really disrupting real life.

It is truly the single largest knock against TE

[quote name='Janitor' timestamp='1297985484' post='2637022']
I too like most of the changes being implemented here... however

Most of the people I brought into this game from other war games quit because of the static update time favouring people living in certain time zones. The update time really does need to rotate in some way so that eveyone has an equal chance of making update attacks at some point without really disrupting real life.

It is truly the single largest knock against TE
[/quote]

Agreed. I've said it before and I'll say it again...

I've played every round of TE and am an old fart in SE, and my only gripe about this game is that all the action happens at 2am local time. If I could have one wish, it would be that players have the one time option of setting their "update" time. I would even suggest that it would cut the server load at the current update time if "update" was spread all across a 24hr period.

[quote name='Thomasj_tx' timestamp='1297981821' post='2636974']
Will the forumlas for determing unit Infra and Land cost change (ie: thresholds for which you move to the next cost level)? Also, will the threshold levels for Infra Maintenance costs change or remain the same (ie: 499.99, 999.99, etc.)?
[/quote]

If admin hasn't stated they are changing my guess is they aren't

Is the change available once every 7th game day or 7 days from the last change? Also, can one make the initial change immediately after creation only once, or can they do it multiple times? In other words, does the initial change after creation count as a "once every 7 days" change?
[/quote]

My guess is 7 days from the last change, and you likely can only make the initial change once, which would then set your counter and mean 7 days till your next change... Changing to another set of random resources is the only thing that makes sense also, theres no reason imo you should be able to pick your resources.

Could you explain this in more detail? Does this mean that if my all time high infra level (peak) was 2,000 infra and for what ever reason, it fell to 1,900, the cost of a unit of infra would drop to the equivalent of what it was at 800 infra? Does that apply to all future purchases or just to the "lost" infra? Will this apply for the whole round if one keeps losing and rebuying to a new (or the same) Peak Level?
[/quote]

Its less 100, so i believe if you fell to 1900 your cost wouldnt decrease at all.

If you dropped to 1800, the cost from 1800 back to 1900 would be half what it was the first time you bought it, once you went within 100 of your watermark, youre back to your previous cost to stop exploitation of the rebuild discount.

Guest Mike Oldfield

[quote name='Las Vegas' timestamp='1297924217' post='2636443']
This totally contradicts the truth I posted in the other thread.

I think you should just do exactly what I said, would make me feel psychic. And that is everyone's goal right? To make me feel psychic.
:smug:
[/quote]
Sure is Zikawe :P

[quote name='dy Cazaril' timestamp='1297978199' post='2636922']
Interesting, I like it. It also looks as though we'll all be feeling our way through the dark for a round or two before we re-optimize building guides (assuming that the game doesn't continue to change every round, which I wouldn't mind if it did).
[/quote]

Random changes each round that no one can predict sounds like fun, no one will have a difinitive guide then :awesome:

[quote name='Jack Shepard' timestamp='1297988646' post='2637065']
If you dropped to 1800, the cost from 1800 back to 1900 would be [b]half what it was the first time you bought it[/b], once you went within 100 of your watermark, youre back to your previous cost to stop exploitation of the rebuild discount.
[/quote]
I believe it would be half the price of what it would be at that time normally [which might not be the same as when you first purchased it]

for example,
You buy up to 1000 infra, and the last 100 cost $20. After that you purchase a factory, then get attacked and lose 100 infra. the price for 100 would normally be $18 because of the factory, but the rebuilding discount makes it only $9.

simple numbers used for simple math

Edited by Overlord Wes

Right yeah, my post was trying to be overly simplistic I guess but I agree it wasn't clear...

Factories/wonders and also changes to government choice, trades and resources could mean it wasnt 50% of what you purchased first time around, but 50% of what it would have cost you first time round with your current nation setup.

Edited by Jack Shepard

[quote name='infinite citadel' timestamp='1297995161' post='2637157']
These are some great changes, hopefully if they work out some of them will be implemented in Standard.
[/quote]

Of the changes, which ones would you like to see implemented in SE?

[quote name='Thomasj_tx' timestamp='1297990412' post='2637087']
Yes, #5 needs some clarification and appears open to the most interpretation.
[/quote]
Jack Shepard answered all the questions pretty accurately. See his responses.

Oh, except for the part about changing your resources. You get to pick the exact resources that you want. There's nothing random about it except for when you first create your nation, but if you don't like your initial resource set you can immediately go to your Nation Edit screen and make the change there, once every 7 days.

One last comment:

Consider increasing nuke costs to at least 400k. One of the limiters on nuke usage early on is that nukes are outlandishly costly; at 1k, 1 nuke is 20% of daily income with 3br. At 1.5k, if that becomes the new 1k, 2.25 is my estimate for daily income without nukes on 3br, so a scale-up to 500k or 400k would simulate the new effects appropriately.

[quote name='Thomasj_tx' timestamp='1297995645' post='2637164']
Of the changes, which ones would you like to see implemented in SE?
[/quote]

These two:

4) Nations can change their native resources once every 7 days for free. You can change them immediately after creating your nation instead of having to reroll. Trades get automatically updated to reflect a nation's resource change, so if you're trading for Sugar and Cattle and your trade partner changes to Rubber and Oil now you get Rubber and Oil. (magnificent or chaotic, depends on how you coordinate)
5) Added peak infrastructure and peak land purchased. If your land or infrastructure fall below your peak levels (minus 100 so that you can't cheat) then the purchase cost to replace it is reduced by 50%.

I feel it'd take away a lot of the headaches dealing with trades (especially with the lower nation count these days) and it'd make wars more frequent since it'd be easier to rebuild infra.

[quote name='infinite citadel' timestamp='1298005963' post='2637336']

4) Nations can change their native resources once every 7 days for free. You can change them immediately after creating your nation instead of having to reroll. Trades get automatically updated to reflect a nation's resource change, so if you're trading for Sugar and Cattle and your trade partner changes to Rubber and Oil now you get Rubber and Oil. (magnificent or chaotic, depends on how you coordinate)

[/quote]

This is [i]never[/i] going to happen. This would totally level an entire playing field in SE and would massively shift the game. For TE it's great since the round lasts 60 days and the resources reset all the time. Plus TC are 5x harder to get in TE then in SE after the second day.

[quote name='SoADarthCyfe6' timestamp='1298006806' post='2637353']
This is [i]never[/i] going to happen. This would totally level an entire playing field in SE and would massively shift the game. For TE it's great since the round lasts 60 days and the resources reset all the time. Plus TC are 5x harder to get in TE then in SE after the second day.
[/quote]

Oh I know, but a man can dream :P

[quote name='admin' timestamp='1297923647' post='2636432']7) The techmod has been increased from 0.01% to 0.1%.[/quote]

If this rule is in effect, I again please advocate a reduction in nuclear effects from 5 days to 4, if not 3. And/or, raise the amount of taxes you can collect while under nuclear effects, so it doesn't so completely cripple taxes. Something so that nukes don't completely dominate the battlefields even worse than they do now?

Extra pretty please?

I also hereby withdraw my request for a pony :P

[quote name='ImperialCubanacan' timestamp='1297976561' post='2636900']
Great. I feel the change for MP was actually needed. Nukes were too easy to get previously, this will at least slow it down. Some.
[/quote]

Really? I thought it was the exact opposite. MP was way too costly back then, for the negligible tech advantage that came with the tech requirement and the price made it much easier to get to top 5%. It seems about right this time.

[quote name='Clash' timestamp='1298048886' post='2637614']
If this rule is in effect, I again please advocate a reduction in nuclear effects from 5 days to 4, if not 3. And/or, raise the amount of taxes you can collect while under nuclear effects, so it doesn't so completely cripple taxes. Something so that nukes don't completely dominate the battlefields even worse than they do now?

Extra pretty please?

I also hereby withdraw my request for a pony :P
[/quote]

Four days would be good enough, remember there is the FSS wonder and the Radiation Clean up bonus too. But also, you have to take into account Change #5 which will have significant impact upon re growth. And nukes aren't that bad, perhaps the admin could reduce the amount of damage the nukes do by 5 to 10% so that it accommodates the new tech mod change.

As far as the resource swap i think that its good but now you can actively add 5 resources and you'll have to message one another to see what trade circle you all want. Its no longer what you want as a trade circle but what others want. Trade circles will be about 10x easier to find now that you do that...Alliances will also be able to have trade circles within themselves constantly being able to have a stronger alliance strength...interesting.

As far as the resource swap i think that its good but now you can actively add 5 resources and you'll have to message one another to see what trade circle you all want. Its no longer what you want as a trade circle but what others want. Trade circles will be about 10x easier to find now that you do that...Alliances will also be able to have trade circles within themselves constantly being able to have a stronger alliance strength...interesting.