What's Changing

admin

First off, I decided back in January that I'd like to make some changes to CN:TE so I slipped in some code that would automatically prevent round 16 from kicking off. In the mean time a big war happened in CN:Standard and I got sick with the flu and I ended up forgetting about all my plans for CN:TE. Apologies for neglecting to notify anyone.

The changes that are coming are a surprise to you.... and to me. It's pretty much just whatever I come up with at this point. CN:TE needs some refreshments after 15 rounds. Here are a few wrenches that I've thrown in so far:

1) You can purchase up to 100 levels of infras and land at a time instead of 50.
2) Nations start out with $5 million startup funds instead of $1 million.
3) Wars last for 5 days instead of 7 days.
4) Nations can change their native resources once every 7 days for free. You can change them immediately after creating your nation instead of having to reroll. Trades get automatically updated to reflect a nation's resource change, so if you're trading for Sugar and Cattle and your trade partner changes to Rubber and Oil now you get Rubber and Oil. (magnificent or chaotic, depends on how you coordinate)
5) Added peak infrastructure and peak land purchased. If your land or infrastructure fall below your peak levels (minus 100 so that you can't cheat) then the purchase cost to replace it is reduced by 50%.
6) Global Radiation Level will be based off of the last 15 days rather than 30 days.
7) The techmod has been increased from 0.01% to 0.1%.
8) The Manhattan Project wonder cost has been increased from $2 million to $5 million.
9) The donation bonus amounts have been doubled.

That's all the changes for this round. Round 16 will begin sometime after midnight on 2/19/2011.

Edited by admin

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This totally contradicts the truth I posted in the other thread.

[quote name='Las Vegas' timestamp='1297836657' post='2635338']
[b]Changes:[/b]

[list=1]
[*]No more alliances
[*]Everyone starts with 20 million
[*]Everyone starts with 20 nukes
[*]Every nation starts at 30k ns
[*]For every day after day one someone joins the game they will start 2k ns lower
[*]Nation with highest nation strength after 60 days wins!
[/list]
[/quote]

I think you should just do exactly what I said, would make me feel psychic. And that is everyone's goal right? To make me feel psychic.
:smug:

Edited by Las Vegas

My initial impressions:

10mn is enough for a nation to boost immediately to the 1.5k point, which is near-optimal for fighting. The end result will be that losing wars no longer matter, because you can just instantly reroll to 1.5k as soon as your alliance provides you the temps, and come back to combat effectiveness with minimal losses compared to 2k or 2.5k nations.

.4k was instant-build on old TE, 1k was 2 weeks or 1 week with donations, 1.5k was 2 weeks with donation or 3 weeks without.

It's also enough to get an MP immediately and sling nukes at single targets until you've been destroyed.

5mn (enough for 1 wonder and 1k infra) is a better number, and 2mn (enough for .6k or 7k) is even better, and that leaves you 1 week from the preliminary 1k infra and 2 weeks from 1.5k.

===

I'll sleep on it; I'm thinking right now what you want is for nations to boost up to 2.5k in 1-2 weeks. It's probably workable if you deny people immediate access to nukes, because insta-nukes can turn 2.5k combat into a barbarous affair with little skill involved.

Nuclear warfare is a matter of logistics, not combat skill; non-nuclear warfare, with skill, can easily be a total curbstomp as the superior force can deny the inferior force the ability to deal any significant damage. Nuclear warfare, on the other hand, guarantees significant damage no matter how the other side fights; logistics comes into play as a way to mitigate damage by allowing recovery.

===

You may also want to shorten rounds to 30 days if you want to try the radical 1.5k start option. If the round turns out to be a fiasco, you can end it in 30 days instead of wasting everyone's time with 60 days of randomly throwing nukes at each other.

Edited by Instr

An easy patch for the MP problem is to limit MPs to at least 2000 infra, and nukes to at least 2500 infra. That's IF you want to go for the 10mn solution. If you don't, that's far easier.

You may also consider putting MPs towards 2500 infra, and natural nukes at 3000-4000 infra to simulate the current nuke growth level; nukes are cost-prohibitive before ~7 days of growth at the present rate.

One good aspect of this change will be that by scaling up the game, you will reduce the effectiveness of an early update blitz when it comes to infra damage, although not when it comes to anarchy and the ability to deploy on targets of your choosing.

===

I suspect what you're looking for is a way to reduce the decisiveness of early victories. I saw Rodentia and others being reduced to extremely low ANS for much of the round because of early fighting, and I can support that as a design goal.

Just don't do too much of it; if you do, winning wars becomes meaningless if it has no political reprecussion.

===

Edited by Instr

[quote name='admin' timestamp='1297923647' post='2636432']1) You can purchase up to 100 levels of infras and land at a time instead of 50. (not really a big deal)
2) Nations start out with $10 million startup funds instead of $1 million. (neat)
3) Wars last for 5 days instead of 7 days. (interesting)
4) Nations can change their native resources once every 7 days for free. You can change them immediately after creating your nation instead of having to reroll. Trades get automatically updated to reflect a nation's resource change, so if you're trading for Sugar and Cattle and your trade partner changes to Rubber and Oil now you get Rubber and Oil. (magnificent or chaotic, depends on how you coordinate)[/quote]
Awesome on the wars, thank you very much.
The resource and trade stuff looks great as well.

If people are going to get nukes so fast, I advocate a reduction in nuclear effects from 5 days to 4, if not 3. And/or, raise the amount of taxes you can collect while under nuclear effects, so it doesn't so completely cripple taxes. Another idea might be lower bill cost to reflect tax loss?

Also I would like a 4th offensive war slot and a pony.
Thanks again for all you do :)

Edited by Clash

[quote name='Clash' timestamp='1297954733' post='2636664']
Awesome on the wars, thank you very much.
The resource and trade stuff looks great as well.

If people are going to get nukes so fast, I advocate a reduction in nuclear effects from 5 days to 4, if not 3. And/or, raise the amount of taxes you can collect while under nuclear effects, so it doesn't so completely cripple taxes. Another idea might be lower bill cost to reflect tax loss?

Also I would like a 4th offensive war slot and a pony.
Thanks again for all you do :)
[/quote]

Looks like your dealin with my shens for one more round. [img]http://forums.cybernations.net/public/style_emoticons/default/awesome.gif[/img]

Thanks admin for the changes it will certainly create more interest in the rounds to come.

ALso clash if you got a 4th offensive slot when would you not be in war?

So basically, the changes would mean that those that want to do nothing be fight non-stop, can. It also means that the nations that want to actually try and win the round will quickly grow beyond the range of those that just want to fight non-stop.

Seems reasonable.

will there be any changes to MP?
right now we could see a lot of day 2 nuke rogues? :/

also i like the single aid slot idea, if done with correct amounts it would give warring nations an advantage over flag runners who are trying to hide.

Edited by lazaraus45