[CNRPT] CNRP Technomancers

Maelstrom Vortex

Introduction: Much as I love CNRP, I feel that is also getting a bit old. It's the same old routine. To remedy this, I've been brainstorming a concept to breath life into the world and to allow a bit more flexibility to creativity, while at the same time continue having an unbiased and restraining force, one with real power to enforce the rules and resolve disputes without question.

Concept: Thus, to bring life to the world. We need a narrator. A narrator who can throw challenges out to the players from time to time and to enforce causality. We need a world where actions have consequences, but that with some effort the consequences might even be undone so that no one is permanently out of play.

I think I've found a possible answer based on concepts similar to an old RP setting I once played called Technomancers from Steve Jackson Games. That said, I'm going to shortly be opening the door to the planet "George" which will be little more than a parallel dimension to Bob. In it magic will also exist side by side with normal technology.

Players will have the ability to develop both characters and nations in a new way. They may decide based on a percentage.. how much of their national strength to dedicate to either their country... or their character as an individual. It is thus possible to assemble a persona that it could take multiple nations (in some cases) to take down. Or split the power and have a nation and an individual character.. or give all your power to your nation and use it to directly address threats.

All wars will be referee based. I will be the referee. I will take into consideration the strength of opponents, allies, rp quality (story), and a number of other possible variables to make my determination into successes and defeats in combat and the results of actions. If I find myself overwhelmed, or temporarily disabled, I may appoint others to stand in my stead in these roles.

In this, we may finally have a world that lives instead of one where ooc arguments dominate and where ideas are free to be expressed in many many different ways. In fact, no one should be afraid to run a concept by me to see if it might work in that world. I will be completely unbiased.. as I won't be playing a country at all. I will simply be the overseer.

I will be opening the door to this world shortly for those who want to play. Hopefully enough will take an interest that it will remain established. If not, it shall be just another of many failed attempts at revitalizing the RP here.

All posts in this setting should be tagged. Posts can be parallel events happening in both Bob and George or separate.. in which case [CNRP+T] would be used to describe what is happening in both worlds. George is not open to play in until I have opened it. I'm going to wait perhaps a week, to get ideas assembled and take inputs from the community on how they would like to see this world evolve. I view it as a co-operative project, not a competitive project as CNRP has traditionally been. While wars may be competitive, I will try to keep them running as smoothly as possible by having a personal role in managing them and most importantly, providing both sides options.

Intial Claim Rules:

All countries on George will mirror the state of Bob prior to the separation of dimensions. That said, any player wishing to play a country on George that already plays a country in CNRP, will have first claim to the area they already play. If they wish to surrender that claim to someone else, they may note so. If the area is not claimed within the first week that George becomes active, that area will become an open area for any new members to CNRPT.

General rules:

All rules mirror those as in CNRP, except restrictions on magic and race. Technology and national strength will dictate the potency of any wizards and magic as well as proximity to the first Necron Bomb which has been detonated at the south pole.

Magic is an unexplored science on this world.. and you will have to treat it as such. If you are attempting something with magic, especially advanced magic, you must bring it to my attention and I will tell you what your findings will be. You must also study magic to make use of it. There will be plenty of opportunities to do this. You may also be affected by magic without studying it if you are in the fallout pattern.

National/map Claims area: [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=93321"]Here.[/url]

Universal Standard Advancement of Time: 1 day = 2 weeks, 26 days = 1 year.

Official IRC Channel: #CNRPT on IRC.COLDFRONT.NET
For discussion of content and running ideas past the narrator, aka, me. Not an IC channel.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

That is correct.

So a war between a persona and a nation might look like Godzilla tromping through Tokyo.

A war between a persona that is strong enough to have a strong nation (like Lynneth) and a strong persona as well it might look like Godzilla fighting Mothra.. while the nation of Japan supports Mothra.

Or it could be straight nation versus nation..

Or straight personal versus persona.. a duel of sorts.

These are just examples. Whether or not people want to use such or be powerful wizards or just countries is up to them.

While I consider this an interesting idea, I very much dislike the idea of a referee or narrator that has any slight control over what I am doing or who can comment on the story as an omnipresent figure. However for sake of argument and perhaps to see a decent story develop, I will be willing to give it a try and see what happens. Normally I think Alternate RPs die because they are exactly the same as CNRP in a different field, or with CNRPH which had a godmod problem. I hope this does work out for you Mael though I do hope that the narrator (as in most stories with Omniscient 3rd Person) is an audience, not a person of influence.

[quote name='Maelstrom Vortex' timestamp='1286740971' post='2480580']
The Narrator is an audience and does little more than administer in an impersonal way, global events. He's also a part of global mythology and may be treated as such :-P
[/quote]

Hmm seeing as how magic is about could I have an underwater elf nation that is formed from humans who were mutated by magic to have elven features, gills and a massive resistance to pressure?

[quote name='Kevin Kingswell' timestamp='1286741528' post='2480585']
Hmm seeing as how magic is about could I have an underwater elf nation that is formed from humans who were mutated by magic to have elven features, gills and a massive resistance to pressure?
[/quote]

Yes. I need you to find me an unclaimed Southern Ocean island in any of the oceans of the southern hemisphere where you would like to set this up. Otherwise, ask someone to release such an island for you. In order to start out with these elves you must first have an origin pool of humans to mutate.

[quote name='Maelstrom Vortex' timestamp='1286740971' post='2480580']
The Narrator is an audience and does little more than administer in an impersonal way, global events. He's also a part of global mythology and may be treated as such :-P
[/quote]

So essentially the idea of a story god...eh...again it makes all characters and movements under the command of the narrator technically. Also I read your thread, but I'm not exactly sure what is going on. If you'd be so kind as to explain what exactly is that you're doing of what is going on in this world of yours. I think I could better enter in with the various ideas I've thought up.

Summary of the Birth of George Thread:

Maelstrom Vortex creates Necron bomb.. which opens rift between Bob and George at the South Pole that only works if a person believes the rift is there. If so they can use it as a one way portal from Bob to George.

George is an alternate dimension of Bob that was created when the bomb exploded, tearing apart the very fabric of space time and opening a completely new dimension in the hole which parallels the one it was spawned from. The person at the center of the blast, by ritual, becomes the father/creator of that dimension.. and gains all power over it, but also is bound by that power to never again be able to live what we would categorize as a normal mortal existence. Thus, the chains bound me, the narrator.. into George itself.

On Bob, there's a giant crater where the bomb went off, and the invisible rift.

On George, there's a huge volcano where the bomb went off that is fueling a storm at the magnetic south pole that is slowly beginning to engulf the Southern Hemisphere. The Volcano will actually be discovered to be a raw-mana node and is literally spewing magic into the atmosphere like a form of radiation which is being carried by the storms to other parts of the planet and slowly intermixing with global weather patterns on the volcanic ash.

Magic, in this case, is considered to be the energy of raw potential. It interacts with the mind of sentient beings in direct ways and has the potential to grant inanimate objects or non-sentient creatures sentience to a degree.

Over time, I will allow players to convert parts of their technology level into a separate pool that specifically covers how much they understand magic.

[quote name='Shadowsage' timestamp='1286743740' post='2480628']
I have one question, and one question only.

Can I consume the souls of my entire nation?
[/quote]

You and I always seem to oppose each other some way Shadow...I think if we met RL...the forces of light and darkness would explode :P

[quote name='Shadowsage' timestamp='1286743740' post='2480628']
I have one question, and one question only.

Can I consume the souls of my entire nation?
[/quote]

Yes, yes you can Shadow. Basically.. that would represent your Persona have 100% of your NS. However.. if you get your rump kicked it is going to make it more difficult to recover as you're just one entity versus a nation recovering from damage.

Also, you got to consider the global ramifications of your actions. How will others react?

Additionally, before you can do this will require some research and being affected by the mana storms which are even just now covering the southern hemisphere near Antarctica and starting to propagate.