¡Che!

Bull Run

The small boat continued blindly, guided only by the stars as the as the small group of men made their way to the island shores. Several days of travel from the Mexican coast had finally braught them close to their destination. Amid the silent whisper of the calm waves, the voice of shouting crowds caught the mens attention. To the east, the faint lights of the city evoked new energy in the exhausted and thirsty crew. [i]"Dios mio.."[/i] began Antonio, [i]"its Santo Domingo.."[/i]. The only woman aboard the small boat, Nathalie Cardon squeeled with excitement [i]"Santo Domingo!!!"[/i] as she emraced Ernesto who was silent with near disbelief. [i]"Llegamos a Santo Domingo, Che. We made it!"[/i] Che shut his journal for the first time since they departed from Mexico & kissed Nathalie out of sheer joy. She would never forget his reaction..

[center][img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1347/542289259_9bc59889d9.jpg[/img][/center]

The entire boat rasped loudly as they collided with the Dominican Coast. The soft island sands accepted the boat in an embrace as they gently nestled it into the beach. The small group grabbed their things, throwing backpackes over their shoulders and placing handguns in their waists. Che searched through the compartments with growing concern. When he looked up at the small group he yelled, [i]"Where is my journal?!"[/i] Nathalie's gentle grip cupped Che's shoulder. In her right hand was his book. [i]"I was curious. I was just taking a look."[/i] One of the men laughed, [i]"Calm down Argentine! We survived 4 days of hell and your worried about your book?? HAHA."[/i] The group crouched and darted up the beach, past several startled couples who laid on the warm sand, utterly shocked. [i]"Get some clothes on."[/i] joked Antonio as they rested under the board walk. Nathalie and Che decided to surface on the board walk and where allowed to return only with boxes of food, Antonio joked.

The sight was awe inspiring. It had been as though the two haden't known civilization in years and the sight of many new faces excited them. They smiled at anyone who made eye contact. Nathalie began [i]"Look over there Che. How about some Mexican food?"[/i] Che looked up and grabbed his stomach [i]"How about over there; I'd like to try something Dominican. We were in Mexico for 3 months..."[/i] Nathalie nodded, [i]"You're right."[/i]
They where suprised to find out how cheap it had been for such a large order of food and drink. They recieved their food and made their way back to down the sandy slope under the boardwalk. Nathalie complained [i]"I thaught this was a hispanic island. Why does it seem as though everyone speaks some other language? This Spanish is nothing like in Spain!"[/i]
The food didn't last among the groups of starving revolutionaries. Over their sand covered dinner, Antonio revealed his contact had come through. The next night they where to rendez-vous with the delegate for the Dominican Liberation Army.

The small contingent of hispanic revolutionaries sat in a small bar await nervously awaited its closing time. The bar tender made his way to the entrance, locking the door then diligently scrubbing spots of several tables before throwing his rag over his shoulder and approaching the group. The black man's spanish was quick and drenched in local vernacular, but the group more or less understood what he was saying, [i]"..I am simpathetic to the Dominican revolucionarios. I come from a family of freedom fighters.."[/i] the group sat through about 5 minutes of the mans family story and life including talk about an interesting fight that broke out earlier in the bar. "[i]The mans teeth are in that trash can over there, want to take a look?"[/i] One of the men stood but Antonio sighed and braught him back down to his seat, [i]"Look, señor. We need to speak with the D.L.A. delegate please."[/i]

[i]"Oh. Right this way."[/i] said the man as he slowly made his way to a back door. Drawing an odd key from his back pocket he opened the creaking door and led the team into the back rooms. Oddly enough the back room seemed larger than the bar itself. Lining the walls where ak-47s and RPG launchers; a small and ragged Dominican flag hung at the center of one wall. Several guerrilla troops greeted the revolutionaries as the man in the center of the room stood to shake hands with Antonio and Che, heads of the group. Everyone exchanged handshakes, saltues, and hugs as the group seated themselves on several stacked boxes. Antonio's box turned out to be empty and collapsed sending him to the floor in shock. Awkward silence preluded until Che began, [i]"We represent the united revolutionary faction from throughout latino America and Spain. Nathalie is the Spaniard, Jose and Juan are from Mexico and Panama, Antonio from Bolivia, and I am from Argentina. We are here in the interests of all freedom seeking latin American people, to aid you in your struggle for liberation."[/i]

Over the course of the next week the group would quietly recruit, organize, train and arm over 200 willing revolutionaries. The group had established a small web of command posts in the jungles and towns of the Dominican Republic and by the time the Army reached 800 the nation had already been erupting in a cry for independance.

[img]http://www.indiemoviesonline.com/files/editorspics/Che2.jpg[/img]

[i]"The times are ripening for a victory of the people."[/i] Che stated. Antonio introduced him to a box of Cuban cigars as he replied, [i]"Yes, what we have known and felt was right all our lives is now becoming evident in the minds of the people...Here take it, I hate Cuban cigars."[/i] Che recived the box, [i]"I don't smoke...The people are taking action. They are on T.V., in the streets, mabey they won't need us for revolution. Perhaps, our efforts would be better put to use in Panama or Bolivia as you had suggested a few months ago?"[/i] Antonio chuckled, [i]"Smoking is a habit you'll pick up soon. Why not now?...Panama, perhaps. Bolivia, eventually. But, we are not in the wrong place my friend. The people are awakening but they still need us."[/i] Che sat back and watched the volunteer guerrilla soldiers go through excersizes amongst the jungle scenery. Antonio stated, [i]"By Christ, we can do this, Che."[/i] Guevara puffed on the cigar, [i]"Jesus Christ was my favorite revolutionary.."[/i] he puffed again, [i]"The wheels of history turn but the story is always the same. Us against the empire."[/i] Troops reacted efficiantly to orders, and showed great improvement in marksmenship.

Edited by Bull Run

[i]"Justicia y independencia!!"[/i] police sirens flared as the protesters lines the streets to march for Dominican independance. Police and local militia closed off the path to govornor Trujillo's offices to the protestors who grew frustrated with constant incursion to political action by the armed forces. Taking after their Mexican cousins, the crowd began to chant, [i]"Si se puede! Si se puede! Si se puede!"[/i] Antonio, Che, Nathalie and over 50 guerrilla troops snuck carefully along with the crowd, concealing their rifles as best as could be done. Several protesters recognized the group as revolutionaries and hailed them, threatening to blow their cover. The team decided to disperse into smaller groups. The smallest of which consisted of Che and Nathalie alone, whom landed at dangerously close to the army line. The crowd screamed at the soldiers, [i]"We are your neighbors, your family! How can you stand against us?! We are you!"[/i]

[img]http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/freshloaf/files/2009/01/flicks_-review2-1_391.jpg[/img]

Che led Nathalie through a narrow alley way, where several children played soccer. Nathalie stopped and caressed the cheek of one of the children, [i]"Viva la revolucion, niños. Soon, you will be free."[/i] The children smiled and the youngest raised his small fists into the air. [i]"Biba revucion!"[/i] Che and Nathalie continued carefully down the alley. Soon, they heard the noise that they had awaited. The hard thud of tear gas canisters against the street, followed by the scream of women and children was the cue to move into formations. Che and Nathalie scanned the scattered crowd for other guerrillas but amongst the rush and white smoke, they found none. For what seemed like a life time, the two looked in ever direction. Finally, a contingent of guerrillas emerged. [i]"Commandante, the assult has been called off. The people have scattered too quickly and in the confusion took off down the alley ways instead of the streets as we expected. Our troops cannot move swiftly amongst the rushing crowd. Another day commandante!"[/i] Frustrated Che grabbed Nathalie's hand and took off, to return to the jungles.

Back at the rebel encampment, Che retreated to his readings. Reading calmed him and took his mind off of the day, soon cigars would become as useful in this way as books. As he read, troops bounced ideas and spoke on revolution, suggested better means of urban warfare and discussed global news. Nathalie ran to Che's side and sat down, [i]"How are you, Commandante?"[/i] He placed his finger under the line he was reading and looked into Nathalie's eyes, [i]"I am the same as I was yesterday. Revolutionary. This is a small set back, nothing more. And you don't need to call me, Commandante; we are partners."[/i] Nathalie nodded and bit her lip as she searched her mind of anything to cheer him up, "[i]Have you been keeping up with the war in North America? Antonio said the Louisianans have liberated Cuba! Now we have certain allies when we establish our own free nation here."[/i] She smiled brightly, and that alone elevated Che's mood, [i]"Thats wonderful news!"[/i] He pulled a map from his pocket. [i]"I've been to the North, I know where Louisiana is. They are close to the Caribbean community, they will be a great allie, I hope."[/i] Nathalie was warmed to see him smile, [i]"We expect Cuba will be made a protectorate until they may govorn themselves. I am exited to go to Louisiana, they are heroes."[/i] Che felt uneasy about Nathalie's words. Where did they get this news and how much of it had been assumed. He too was exited and wanted to meet the Louisianans in person, but had Cuba realy been liberated?

Nathalie kissed him on the cheek, interupting his thaught then left to do some firing practice. Che returned to his book.

[IMG]http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll137/Zapaw/Randomality/che7-1.jpg[/IMG]

News hit the Dominican public like a bombshell. The innitial successes of the people's petition for independance where now threatened to be undermined by the consolidated power out the hands of the masses and into the pockets of the capitalist elite. The [u]Grand Conference on Independance[/u] had been exposed as a sham, fixed by the powers that be on the island to devide powers and decide on a puppet figure-head for their new government. The masses shifted with rage and many saught a means to strike back...

Thousands of volunteers swelled the ranks of the liberation front. The origional liberation organization had remained but was now a small part of the officially nameless movement. 23,000 guerrillas where garrisoned throughout encampments and apartment complexes throughout the republic. At 12:30 PM, June 4th the H.A.E. had accepted the petition for independance and within hours the plan would spring into action..

Che had briefed his special guerrilla devision carefully on the plan of action. They would be the troops to personally liberate Santo Domingo. His men readied their arms and practiced codes, while Che wandered into the forest to find a quiet place to sit. Finding a tree stump not far from the camp, he sat and revealed a printed paper from one of his pant pockets. In bold print it stated: [b]CUBA ANNEXED[/b]. He almost felt betrayal, but at once he knew he had never spoken with the Louisianans nor had they ever stated they would allow Cuba to be a free country. Yet he felt as though he had been stabbed in the back; they had all been stabbed in the back..
Suddenly, the snapping of a tree branch called his attention. A startled federal spy had blown his cover and darted down the hill. Che watched in amazement and drew his pistol, [i]"Son of a #*$%*!!"[/i] He took up a chase and opened fire on the man, who drew his own firearm quickly. Che heard his guerrilla's now following down the hill, but they were too far behind to be of any use. Shots rang out up and down the slope. The man heszitated at a steep drop then sat and slid down. Che darted for the cliff and followed, firing again and again until his target cringed in pain as two bullets entered his back. In mid slide, Che continued to open fire until the man lay motionless..

[IMG]http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll137/Zapaw/Randomality/che4-1.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by Bull Run

7:00 PM the guerrilla soldiers bagan mass migration into their targeted & respective towns and cities. The aristocracy had coordinated a large celebration for 8 PM and the liberation front hoped to begin their attack just before the celebrations were announced..

Che ducked as a car passed over the bridge. Reemerging, her motioned for his troops to follow. Right behind him came Nathalie and behind her, nearly 7,000 men and women guerrilla soldiers, many who had no rifle carried handguns in hand and varying (though mostly Dominican) flags in the other. The bridge had been designated as a vital life line to national military movements and as Che and his army continued on, a small contingent of the guerrillas went to work decorating the entire bridge in dynamite. The men quickened their pace to a sprint for the city..

The majority of the national military had already been deployed to the streets of the capital city. A large setback for the guerrillas that Che quickly found a weakness in. The national palace was absent of its usual guard who now accompanied to new government and the troops on the street. Che took a risk, and shattered a window in palace. A terrified cook lost his footing and toppled over, sending tortillas into the air. Che, Nathalie and several Guerrillas entered the kitched. Che held his gun to the cook, [i]"Look at all the food in this place!! You could feed 100 people with this!"[/i] The cook was hog tighted and gagged. The stove turned off and everyone grabbed a quick snack.

The group made their way cautiously through the corridors and up the stair cases. Che bit down on his cigar nervously [i]"I don't understa.."[/i] He shut up when he heard several men speaking. [i]"...ulations on a wonderful success!" "Salud."[/i] A bright light flooded the hallway as the men in the large room opened the doors to the outside balcony. Che grinned around his cigar, [i]"This is it."[/i]...

At 8PM all where given a 20 minutes order to arrive at the main plaza, guarded closely by the national armed forces. Finally, the time had arrived to be recieve the announcement of their newly [i]selected[/i] government. The balcony doors opened and a line of green uniformed guerrillas emerged with a small group of heavy set aristocrats who had been hog tied. Guerrilla soldiers emerged from every crevace and ally way of the city and began the assult for liberation. Throughout the nation similar uprisings took place. The majority of the population who left their homes joined the fight with anything they could get their hands in the front against the national forces. By now, the liberation movement was now a houshold topic and many had expected such an uprising to occur eventually, and had awaited it eagerly. From the balcony of the National Palace echoed the scream of the revolutionaries [i]"LIBERTAD!"[/i] freedom.

The valiant fighting would last only 3 hours, in which time many of the nationalist forces had surrendered, joined, or fell to the revolution. Farmers and those striken most by poverty and struggle faught viciously in the darkest moments in the Republic's history. The light at the end of the road shown brightly as the clouds parted and the last of the national troops laid down their arms. Guerrilla soldiers, peasants, working class men and women had occupied every local government establishment. The Dominican Republic was called into existance and elections for the revolutionary government proceded as a great innitial success for the new nation. The guerrillas mourned the loss of many brothers and preyed for those of the opposition whom had to be killed for the revolution. Among the dead were Commandante "Toni" Antonio who had headed the movement. A martyr for the revolution, his buryal would be widely publicized. Che was embraced as the symbolic hero of the revolution and had been writen in to presidency, a position he respectfully declined. He had accepted the position of spokesperson for the revolution & the Republic.

[center][IMG]http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll137/Zapaw/Randomality/che8-1.jpg[/IMG][/center]

Edited by Bull Run