Remove Trades

well i agree that people should have a better chance of getting good resources when they respawn. maybe mods could grant people "grief resources" after they have respawned enough times so they can finally move on with the game.

Removing trades would remove an essential part of the strategy in TE. Even with bad resources, you can get yourself into an okay ring if you put enough effort into it.

In addition to the problem of barely anyone having uranium, it would contribute [b]more[/b], not less, to the issue of "random chance" in starting your nation. Say you end up with Furs/Lead, and no longer are able to trade for some decent resources. Welp? Looks like you're rerolling, as there's no way your Furs/Lead nation has a prayer of beating the guy who started with Iron/Wheat.

And if the proposal is to get rid of [b]resources[/b] altogether... then there is no longer any strategy in the game. Everyone starts on an equal footing and... continues the round on an equal footing. The people who win are guaranteed to be the people who donate, not necessarily those who are the best or smartest players or nation-builders.

• 2 weeks later...

It's tough to get trades sometimes. I hate it when I have to go off color, but that's better than not having the trade at all. Still, I like trades, and they really are a valuable part of the game and game strategy.

Twice I've seen people manage to completely redo their trades at the last second of a session solely for the purpose of getting the radiation clean-up bonus resource. That was what got them out of nuclear effects, and got them one that one last big collection before reset. There's a lot of elements that involve trades that would be affected without them.

• 1 month later...

Resource system in CN is complex, but in the same time much unbalanced. It is extremely strong when compared to other aspects of the game and thus starting combos and aquired resources play a over-important role in every nation development and abilities.

I have a slightly more sophisticated idea for TE. Make trades - hidden. Meaning, every nation could import resources from a "market", not from other nations, which is not directly based on what other people have, their activity, offers, deletions etc., instead, give them a chance to combine their own resource setup thru a gameplay, under a specific circumstances. For instance, one would unlock second pair of resources (resources picked by a player from a list) at 1000 working citizens, third pair at 2500 working citizens, fourth pair at 6000 working citizens, etc. (I leave a numbers for adjustment to someone who is more familiar with TE system).

This way, everybody would be able to combine their setup more freely, have a motivation for growth, avoid frustration and skipping rounds due to bad resources, etc., and at the same time, the correlation of aquired resources to a nation size would start to play a big strategical and tactical role in using a military systems to meet every nation and alliance goals.

Edited by nik718

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As an alternative option, which is a bit less drastic: what if everyone received 3 resources at start-up, and then received only 2 trade slots (a third with the harbor)? This would provide the same number of resources, while requiring you to get 2 less trades. This seems like it would simplify the problem of having too few players for trades once people start deleting. Additionally, the addition of an extra resource would make it more likely that any given nation has at least 1 bad resource, which would tend to even out trade sets. Yes, the best trade sets would probably be harder to get, but keeping a full set of trades would be easier.

edit: I only play TE occasionally, but in my comparatively limited experience, this seems like it should be helpful. At least something worth trying for a round.

Edited by schmutte693

I suggested the ability to change your resources once. Similar to the Moon/Mars wonder. A timer on it would mean that you can only do it once per round.

[url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=94140"]Resource change[/url]

To whoever said trade circle or you're screwed, I disagree. I've only had one established circle in TE in about 10 rounds of playing. Yes, usually I lose a few trade partners over the course of a round, but I get over it.

To the idea of limiting the number of color spheres, I could be persuaded. Hold to four colors, opens up more trade partners with max bonuses. Also would make it more dangerous to impose trade sanctions during war (ahem...lame) as there are more nations, and therefore more alliances, in your sphere to potentially retaliate.

yeah trades are a pain in the ass. I guess it would be an interesting experiment to see them gone. Although that would really level the playing field even more then the already level playing field. In TE especially, I like going and seeing which Trade Combos are leading nation growth.

Alliances put more strategy into trades way back in the day. I dont think most allianes/nations put that much strategy into trades anymore as they are just too much a pain in the ass. Even though the gain is huge if you know what to do with trades, there is a very small percentage of people that actually take advantage of all the benefits trades can offer.

Another reason to not get rid of trades is the simple fact that it initially gets nations interested. I remember when I first started a nation, after clicking around on my nation to look at a few things, I had already gotten several trade and alliance request messages, and I thought that was pretty cool back then, because I felt "wanted". If people don't feel wanted, they arent going to play this game. Frankly, If you don't have new comers getting messages about trades, what will the messaging system really be used for? I guess recruiting alliances will use it to target newcomers I guess, but it seems to me like you will lose a pretty significant purpose for your messaging system too.

Edited by jeff barr