length of day

I know its been suggested before but I think this is the one thing that could make this game larger and drag in many more players. So I'll propose it again!

The midnight update time is currently hugely beneficial to the west coast of North America (just after supper time) and hideous for the east coast and most of Europe/Great Britain.

I've always felt sorry for the guys from Scotland and France :lol1:

If the length of day was increased to 25 hours or decreased to 23 hours, every time zone across the globe would get at least 4 periods per round when updates were very convenient for them.

I think you would see this become a much larger game across the globe as it would suit a MUCH larger population. I expect donations would rise significantly as well.

And most important... I wouldn't have to stay up to 1 am so often! ;)

!@#$%* did a similar thing a while back.

I think the reasoning was that it benefited people that lived in that time zone so they just shook it up a bit.

If you don't know when you're going to be able to collect it opens the game to the world and a lot more planning has to go into wars.

Everyone knows that an update blitz is likely so it gets way too boring.

If the game could shuffle (evolve even) it might keep a few more guys on board.

.... did I mention evolution there ?????

!@#$%* did a similar thing a while back.

I think the reasoning was that it benefited people that lived in that time zone so they just shook it up a bit.

If you don't know when you're going to be able to collect it opens the game to the world and a lot more planning has to go into wars.

Everyone knows that an update blitz is likely so it gets way too boring.

If the game could shuffle (evolve even) it might keep a few more guys on board.

.... did I mention evolution there ?????

Wow, I never meant to double post but I seem to have hit a nerve there.

Edit -

What was wrong with the first word on my post?

It seems to have been auto edited.

Lets try again...

!@#$%*

Edit - N a t i o n S t a t e s

Seemed to work. Lucky I never mentioned that other word.

Maybe I should just give up on Moderation on our TE boards and ban every post

Edited by Son of Taeper

LOL Son. I must admit this is a selectively sensitive group of moderators. I've already gotten one warning and don't have a clue what it was for. Never received notification in PM or email. YOu must be careful lad, it only takes one offended nation out of 2500 in TE world to have an entire AA's wars deleted. Oops, hope that don't get me another warning. :lol1:

But I digress. Changing the reset times would be a huge bonus to the creators of CN from my perspective. It would eliminate an advantage held by Americans living on the west coast(one of which is undoubtably the offended Carpetbagger that got all LE's end of round wars deleted in Round 5) and distribute it evenly to the rest of the world. Heck, I might even be able to make a reset blitz someday without having to stay up until 1AM in the morning.

Imagine if you will, what TE would be like if there were 5000 or more nations playing instead of the usual 2500 to 2800 each round.

P.S. Is the word carpetbagger somehow offensive to anyone? I know it aint vulgar. Hmmm, wonder if that will get me another warning.

• 1 month later...

I really like this idea. Would it be possible to try this in TE for one round first if admin approves? If pple like it and it works, great! If it doesn't work or ppl don't like it, things can go back to the way they were. I think this is a simple idea that would really help to make this game more fun and fair.

Being available at update is THE biggest advantage you can have in this game IMO.

Edited by Metacomet

Using a 23- or 25-hour day would be great for TE. Over one full Round, players in every time zone would have bad and good schedules so it's fair to everybody. I'm in Asia so my lunchtime reset is a nice advantage for me personally, but I can see that it's a disadvantage for many of my European and American allies.

Agree as well, seems like a no brainer to me if the software supports this. It could also be a 22 or 26 hour day to speed up the changes in reset time zones.

Well so far the only comment against this great idea has been Akbar's.

The reasoning being that days of 25 hrs length will give you the wrong date at times and eventually the wrong date altogether. Simply change the calendar as well... In TE it would be actually useful to have a calendar that counted DOWN anyway so everyone knows how long it is till reset. Forget months altogether and just count the 25 (or 20 why not!) hour days down

Well for me on the East coast, I don't mind getting up for a 1:00 AM update. The change would make it a little earlier on one end and even later on the other, for me at least. The majority of my AA is in Europe and has it even worse. I say go for it! I have a good alarm clock.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah... but if you aren't really addicted you don't have to be on at update each night. The definition of a day is 24 hours and if that is changed strange stuff would happen. I don't check at update and nothing bad happens to my nation most of the time.

• 3 weeks later...
In 24 days, we'd no longer have the same calendar date. It also is going to make the update some really weird and unobtainable times.

However, it is creative and effectively eliminates the time zone bias, and for that I approve.

To solve that, underneath game time, just add something like "update in [time until update]" or "update at [time of update]"