News from The Nation of Selenarctos

iKrolm

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[b]Public News Broadcast:[/b]

The office of Carlos Burke, head of the interim government today announced a forced breakup of the Selenarctos Strategic Defense Corporation. Citing a woeful technological gap between the Selenarctan armed forces and those of other first world countries despite hundreds of billions in funding over the last decades, Burke declared the company shall be broken up into smaller, more specialized companies. Burke confirmed that certain elements would be nationalized, but declined to go into further details.

The Selenarctos Strategic Defense Corporation, which has existed since the founding of Selenarctos, supplied the vast majority of military hardware to the Security Division. The analysts are still out on what this will mean for the armed forces of the PRo Selenarctos, but one thing they agree on is to watch out for similar breakups in other areas of the economy, especially ones that have faltered over the decade-long recession. SSDC stock prices were frozen in response to the breakup, but inside sources have told us that stock options will be divided up into the smaller companies created as a result of the breakup.

With the ongoing civil disobedience in Preh reaching into it's third week, Carlos Burke announced today the interim government would be stepping up measures to bring to conflict to an end. Mr. Burke declined to comment on the combatants, saying that while the situation had improved since his interim government came to power, the situation had improved but not as rapidly as he had hoped.

Independent sources have reported that fighting continues between Ferrerist Fighters, local gangs, Domestic Force officers, 2nd Division and 4th Mechanized Division forces on both sides and 2nd Mechanized Division infantry introduced by the Central Government to quell the situation. Unverified reports claim the interim government has reestablished a command structure for the 2nd Division and 4th Mechanized Division forces loyal to the PRo Selenarctos but that the 2nd Mechanized Division continues to fight against all Ferrest-loyal forces.

In other news, the interim government announced today it will be breaking up Filipino Steel, the conglomerate formerly run by ex-Economic Director Antonio Pilar. The rare earth metals and titanium sectors will be nationalized as they are vital to national security and the rest will be divided up into smaller companies based on the industries they serve. As with the now-defunct Selenarctos Strategic Defense Corporation, stock prices have been frozen but the interim government has confirmed it will offer stock options in the new companies created to those holding Filipino Steel stock.

The office of Carlos Burke announced today that the larger cities of Selenarctos shall be renamed to their traditional Filipino names over the course of the next few months. Manila is the native name and remains the same, however the below cities shall be renamed as listed. This announcement has been met with widespread approval, especially among Phillipine nationalist movements who have been outspoken against the interim government's efforts.

Fieres shall be renamed Mariveles
Cierre shall be renamed Batangas
Raine shall be renamed Naga City
Rrenes shall be renamed Calbayog
Oénsel shall be renamed Cebu
Andalia shall be renamed Bacolod
Preh shall be renamed Davao City
Rantél shall be renamed Dagupan
Eyes shall be renamed Laoag
Viena shall be renamed Dinalungan

Edited by iKrolm

In response to the massive nuclear barrage aimed at Korea, the government of the PRo Selenarctos has authorized the Army units in Selenarctos to prepare existing potassium iodide for distribution. The former-Central Government maintained an estimated fifty million doses of potassium iodide for emergency circumstances. Although the new government is still in the process of sorting through Central Government records & rewriting procedures, Mr. Burke said he was confident the Army could efficiently distribute sufficient doses if the radiation cloud blew south.

[b]Public Press Release:[/b]

In the Manila Stock Market today, Southern Firearms became the first company to emerge from the breakup of the Selenarctos Strategic Defense Corporation. Southern Firearms claims it holds that patents to the P229 handgun, SG-series of rifles, MP7 PDW, M240L light machine gun and AT4 recoilless rifle, all currently used by the Army and other branches of the armed forces. Southern Firearms also told us that while the interim government retains the patent for the M41A Pulse Rifle, Southern Firearms has been granted manufacturing rights.

Unlike it's predecessor, Southern FIrearms will sell to non-governmental organizations and civilians as permitted under Selenarctan law.

• 2 weeks later...

[b]From the Office of Carlos Burke, head of the interim government of the PRo Selenarctos:[/b]

Today, I announce the end of combat operations against Greater Korea. The PRo Selenarctos entered the Greater Korean War in support of our allies in the United Federation of the East with the intention of restoring stability to East Asia. We succeeded. The government of Greater Korea is no more and our mission is accomplished.

Though we won, we won at a great cost. Thousands of allied soldiers were killed by Korean weapons of mass destruction and hundreds of thousands of civilians lost their lives in the nuclear barrage unleashed against Korea. My condolences go out to the friends and families who lost loved ones in the war: to those of the allied soldiers, remember that they did not die in vain and to the Koreans, I truly wish such an outcome could have been avoided.

Although our Republic played a limited roll in the combat, we were not without our own casualties. Twelve of our soldiers, twelve Selenarctan citizens volunteered to enter Greater Korea and all twelve died from radiation poisoning. Today we remember them. I ask for a moment of silence from the audience and the nation in respect as I read their names out of respect to their families and out of reverence for the sacrifice to our country.

Captain Vitoldo Sang of the 1st Mechanized Division

Sergeant II Adalgiso Carrasco

Private II Yong Raya

Private II Joshua Hanuel

Private II Ecio Jin

Private II Kyung Almaraz

Captain Dante Young of the 1st Mechanized Division

Sergeant III Dong Leiva

Private II Jackson Hyun

Private II Wook Luján

Private I Ji Carrero

Private II Seok Palomo

These men served with dignity and honor, and they died with dignity and honor; let no man or woman say otherwise. Let us remember their sacrifice as we stride forward, building our nation anew and restoring the identity that was lost during the rule of the Central Government.

Thank you.

[b]Classified:[/b]

All assets deployed in the Korean theater shall return to Selenarctos. All equipment that may have been exposed to high levels of radiation shall be thoroughly cleaned and restored to like-new conditions.

EDIT: number correction

Edited by iKrolm

[b]An Announcement from the Office of Carlos Burke, Head of the interim government of the People's Republic of Selenarctos[/b]

In response to the policy of non-recognition of the government of Grassy Plains 'n Such by the now-defunct Central Government of Selenarctos due the presence of a cat in the government of Grassy Plains 'n Such, the interim government of the People's Republic of Selenarctos does hereby note the following:

Observation 1: The cat known as Chairman Mao is no longer a part of the government of Grassy Plains 'n Such.

Observation 2: Furthermore, sufficient time has been allowed to verify that the cat known as Chairman Mao has truly left the government and does not have the intention to return.

Observation 2, Subpoint A: Cats can be tricky, and it never hurts to be cautious; thus an extended period of time was necessary to be sure.

As such, the interim government of the People's Republic of Selenarctos does hereby resolve:

Resolution 1: The People's Republic of Selenarctos extend diplomatic recognition to Grassy Plains 'n Such, effective immediately.

[b]Signed,[/b]
[i][a list of signatures][/i]

EDIT: Spelling correction.

Edited by iKrolm

[b]Public News:[/b]

In the wake of the break up of the monolithic Selenarctos Stragetic Defense Corporation imposed by the interim government under Carlos Burke, three more defense companies have emerged on the Manila Stock Exchange bearing patents and products of the SSDC.

[IMG]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/iKrolm/Hernandes-Segura_Systems_Logo_1-1.png[/IMG]

A joint endeavor by former SSDC developer Manases Hernandes and SSDC sales manager Amado Segura, Hernandes-Segura Systems is based in Batangas (formerly Cierres) and owns the Selenarctos Stragetic Defense Corporation's Batangas manufacturing plants. Hernandes-Segura Systems holds the patents to the XM214 Minigun, the XM25 Airburst Grenade Launcher, the Mk47 Striker Grenade Launcher, and the M252 81mm Mortar. Hernandes-Segura Systems also announced it has secured a exclusive contract to supply the PRo Selenarctos's Army with the Kris Combat Knife and Kamilan Combat Sword. In an interview today, co-owner Amado Segura said his company plans to expand it's product lines to offer a complete range of man-portable weapon systems. All civilian-legal weapons would be available to the civilian market, Segura continued, and said he had high hopes for this market previously untapped by the SSDC. This direction would put Hernandes-Segura in direct competition with Southern Firearms, a company with a significant advantage given the SSDC patents it managed to secure. Our analysts say that Hernandes-Segura's own holdings are nothing to underestimate, and that both companies have very good potential.

[IMG]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/iKrolm/BulldogArmoredVehiclesLogo1-1.png[/IMG]

Bulldog Armored Vehicles is a stockholders cooperative, paying a percentage of it's earnings each year to its stockholders as a dividend. Bulldog derives its name from the patents the interim government granted it: namely, armored vehicles. Bulldog holds the patents to the M270 Multiple-Launch Rocket System (MLRS), the M1A2 Main Battle Tank, the Black Knight experimental UTCV, the Bionix II Armored Fighting Vehicles, and the Terrex Infantry Carrier Vehicle. Sandro Ordóñez, the CEO of Bulldog Armored Vehicles, also announced his company to possesses all of the SSDC's research into the M1A3 next-gen battle tank research, but declined to comment on Bulldog's plans for the data. All of our analysts agree that Bulldog has an excellent lineup and, so far, no competition for government contracts from other Selenarctos-based companies. In their opinion, Bulldog Armored Vehicles is a sound investment with plenty of room for growth in its chosen sector.

[IMG]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/iKrolm/Precision_Tactical_Logo_1-1.png[/IMG]

Precision Tactical is the only company to emerge so far that has not declare an area of specialization. Precision Tactical holds the patent to the M82 Anti-Materials Sniper Rifle, the Phalanx CIWS anti-missile system, as well as a number of optical hardware and software technologies developed by the Selenarctos Strategic Defense Corporation, including those used in the scopes and sights commonly used on the M41A Pulse Rifle, SG550 rifles, and XM214 and Mk47 grenade launchers. Precision Tactical also claims to possess the research from at least a dozen classified projects categorized as 'under development' during the SSDC's breakup, but was unwilling to elaborate earlier today. Based on its holdings, our analysts believe Precision Tactical may try to secure contracts to supply other defense corporations or the Aerospace Consortium rather than sell directly to the government or civilians. In any case, they agree Precision Tactical is a company to watch.

OOC: Continued from here: http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=79762&view=findpost&p=2761547
IC:

[b]Public Television Broadcast, multi-channel:[/b]
7:20PM

[i]"We now bring you a live feed from the Capital Building, where a representative of the interim government will be speaking in the wake of the believed assassination of interim government head and spokesperson Carlos Burke."[/i]

The camera switches to a middle-aged Filipino man sitting behind a large desk. The desk is empty and the wall behind him is a somber creme-color, devoid of decorations or patriotic paraphernalia.

"Good evening people of Selenarctos. At 6:59PM this evening, Carlos Burke, head of the interim government, was struck by an assassin's bullet just minutes he was scheduled to address the nation. Medical personnel believe Mr. Burke died almost instantly and though they tried, they were unable to help. The perpetrator of this crime has not been unidentified and remains at large despite the best efforts of Domestic Force officers.

"Tonight I humbly announce that, for a time, I shall be stepping into the position of President of Selenarctos.

"I was not a member of the interim government; no, quite the opposite in fact: I was a member of the Central Government. I served in the Security Division with pride under the late Directors Marcelo Bonifacio and Alejandro Tiempo. I did and I am not ashamed of it, but please do not associate me with the wrongs of the Central Government.

"I believe in an economy independent of the government, and of a nation in peaceful coexistence with out neighbors. Most of all, I believe in Selenarctos. I believe that Mr. Burke led the country in the wrong direction.

"In just two months, Mr. Burke nationalized portions of the economy and caused the Manila stock market to drop almost 10%. Mr. Burke brought Selenarctos into a war against Greater Korea, a war which, though I support our allies, our armed forces were not needed. Mr. Burke sought to end hostilities in Preh but has created a stalemate between a half-dozen factions, all ready to return to open combat at the drop of a pin. Mr. Burke created a 'constitution committee' to write a new constitution to govern his 'People's Republic', and two months later did not have even a single draft of a governing document to show for it.

"Tonight, I do not proclaim the end of the People's Republic: I proclaim it never existed. For the past two months, Selenarctos has been floundering in a power vacuum created by Carlos Burke and maintained by his so-called interim government.

"Tomorrow, Selenarctos shall rise again from the ashes of the Central Government to start a new chapter. We shall move forward, restore our nation, and return to economic status Selenarctos once enjoyed. Thank you, and good night."

[b]Public News Report:[/b]

The Manila Stock Market closed 20% lower than it opened this week in response to the assassination of former head of the interim government Carlos Burke. Investors and market analysts are playing cautiously and those we spoke with today said they would wait and see how Mr. Diokno handled himself. With a second transition of government in the last three months, there are those who predict Mr. Burke's term will be short-lived.

President Melchoro Diokno, although he has not made a public address since he assumed the Presidency of Selenarctos in the wake of Mr. Burke's death, has issued two statements reiterating that economic recovery and the security of Selenarctos were his top concerns. Mr. Diokno has not mentioned Burke's anticipated announcement concerning those arrested before the Davao City Riots and a number of petitions have begun circulating to demand Diokno immediately release all information on those arrested.

Unlike the transition from the Central Government to the interim government, most interim government employees have retained their positions. We have unconfirmed reports that Army Commander Atanasio Calderón and Air Force Commander Cátulo Sierra have resigned from their positions. Additionally, Navy Commander Dunstano Alejandro has not publicly endorsed Mr. Diokno yet, but we expect to hear either an endorsement or a resignation within the next few days.

[b]Reply, From the Office of the President:[/b]

I thank the United Federation of the East for your support during this transition. At this time, I do not require assistance for I simply cannot appear as if I require external support to maintain order. I hope you understand the need for this to be handled internally and once again, thank you for your offer.

-Melchoro Diokno, President of Selenarctos

President Diokno:

Your reluctance for foreign intervention is understandable we will of course respect this. One thing I can tell you is that we have assets that could boost your financial markets without others knowing we're the ones behind it.

Vice Imperator Kou

• 1 month later...

[b]Manila Times:[/b]

President Diokno announced today the formation of the Department of the Economy, which will complement the Department of Security, the Department of Justice, and the Department of Humanities. The Department of the Economy shall be responsible for regulating and managing the Selenarctan economy, Mr. Diokno elaborated upon, and tasked the Department's first secretary, Dallas Valdés, with turning around the nation's recession and developing Selenarctan industry. Mr. Valdés is a graduate from Harvard University in Pravus Ingruo, and has drawn immediate criticism from the Ferrerist supporters for his free-market ideals, but significant support from the conservative groups.

President Diokno also appointed former-Davao City Domestic Force Chief Konrad Merino to the position of Chief of Police within the Department of Security, drawing wide-spread outrage from those who blame Merino for the Domestic Force's poor handling of the Davao City Riots.

• 1 month later...

By the order of the President,
With the support of Air Force Commander Reynoso,

The Air Force office of strategic defense shall begin an audit of the air defenses of Selenarctos, and propose changes to improve the Selenarctan Air Defense Network. It is the goal of this process to redirect air defense priorities to the are of south and central Luzon, specifically Manila and the surrounding areas of strategic importance. At the request of the President, a reduction of air defenses over outlying areas to bolster the central areas should be considered, as well as the development or procurement of additional anti-aircraft and anti-missile defense models to bolster existing systems.

• 4 weeks later...

[b]A Press Release From the Secretariat of the Economy, Dallas Valdés[/b]

"Today I am pleased to announce an expansion of the Selenarctos Broadband Project to include outlying protectorates. Over the few months my office, working closely with Esrch Electronics, shall lay the groundwork to provide a fast, reliable and affordable internet connection to all people under the Selenarctos flag, regardless of their position as a protectorate or a part of Selenarctos proper. It is my hope to begin laying fiber lines within the next six months, and to provide coverage to 90% of the outlying protectorates by two years from today.

"I believe this endeavor is an important step forward in our stewardship of the islands and to promote unity within the region. It is the firm position of the Selenarctos government that access to information is a right, not a privilege, and furthermore that the benefits provided by an open and free internet far outweigh any negative consequences. With the expansion of the Broadband Project, we hope to offer new personal and economic opportunities to the people of the Selenarctan protectorates."

By order of the Secretary of Security, funding is hereby approved for the expansion of the [size="2"](CLASSIFIED)[/size] Selenarctan SOSUS network to include the outlying protectorates. Work shall be carried out in secret and in parallel with the Broadband Project expansion to camouflage activities from international scrutiny.

Signed, [i]Secretary Juárez[/i]

[b]Encrypted to the Selenarctos Aerospace Consortium:[/b]

From the offices of the President of Selenarctos and the Secretary of Security, the Government of Selenarctos has approved funding towards the development of a replacement line of helicopters for the current Scorpion Gunships and Blackhawk transports currently used by the Selenarctos Army. We would like for the following points to be included in designs submitted for consideration:

[list][*]Multi-role: units must be able to preform surveillance, ground support and independent aggressive action
[*]Reduced IR and Radar signatures
[*]Naval and Land-based variants of each class
[*]Interchangeable parts between models
[*]Simple maintenance procedures and a rapid turn-around time
[*]Fly-by wire controls hardened against EMP/EMR attacks[/list]

Sincerely,
Selenarctos Army Committee of Procurement

• 3 weeks later...

Following the decline of the Islz Cruz government, elements of 3rd Mechanized Division in the surrounding Oceanic Union Protectorate reentered the Islz Cruz to facilitate as smooth of a transition as possible back to protectorate status. Cruzian military hardware was dismantled and scrapped, and weapons/weapon systems not approved for civilian ownership under OU protectorate law were be confiscated for proper disposal. In the course of the change, Black Death hardware not removed from the islands before the reintroduction of OU peacekeepers was mistakenly identified as government property disposed of without further investigation into it's previous owners.

[b]Public Announcment:[/b]

Following the successful annexation of New Munster by New Ulster, the government of Selenarctos is pleased to report that the last of Selenarctan O.U. peacekeeping troops have been withdrawn from the New Zealand region. The last of the contingent of 6th Mechanized Division infantry that had remained in New Munster at the request of the government returned to Cebu today.

Also today, the Secretary of Security also announced a change to the structure of the 1st Mechanized Division. Unlike most divisions, men and women drafted into the Army of Selenarctos will no longer be placed into the 1st Mechanized. Instead, the 1st Mechanized will consist entirely of enlisted personnel and draftees who voluntarily extend their term of service. In the hope of Secretary Juárez, this will increase the 1st Mechanized Division's combat prowess and ensure that in future conflicts, the best of the best Selenarctos has to offer may be deployed rapidly into the midst enemy forces.

• 4 weeks later...

Per the order of the President,

The 1st Carrier Group shall redeploy to international waters in the South Atlantic off the coast of Africa. It shall also be accompanied by one thousand troops of the 1st Mechanized Division plus support personnel, vehicles, and hardware prepped for rapid deployment and counter-insurgency measures.

The 1st Carrier Group is hereby placed on [size="1"]HIGH ALERT[/size]. Under this condition, support vessels shall establish a perimeter to turn away all vessels and submarines from the area, and a sufficient strength of fighters and UAVs shall be kept in the air at all times to defend against airborne and missile attacks.

In a speech earlier today, Humanities Secretary Armijo outlined a 3-phase plan to populate the Selenarctos I3 habitat in orbit at the L4 Earth-Lunar Lagrange point. During phase 1 settlement, citizens of Selenarctos with skills vital to maintenance and operation of the island habitat may apply to the Selenarctos Space Program administration for employment aboard the habitat. As a part of phase 1, a governing board will be selected by the federal government to manage the habitat and ensure services continue to function. During phase 2 settlement, citizens with experience in construction and infrastructure maintenance may apply for employment with the island government. Phase 1 and phase 2 groups will be relatively small, at approximately 1,000 individuals per phase. Once the island habitat is properly prepared, phase 3 settlement will begin with open immigration. Any citizen who can afford transportation and wishes to immigrate or travel to the habitat will be free to do so. Additionally, the Space Program administration will open a free lottery during phase 3 for those who wish to permanently immigrate to the island habitat. From this lottery, 1,000 citizens will be selected per year and provided with transportation up to the island habitat in exchange for one year's labor to the island's governing board.

[b][A note to Selenarctos][/b]

"The Lunar Republic would like to offer another possibility for Selenarctan citizens to reach the habitat, though only with the approval of Selenarctos' Government.
Any Selenarctan citizen with the means to visit the Lunar Republic and pay for a trip to the I-3 habitat would thus be eligible for Phase 3 settlement.
The trip would include travel into LEO with a Lunar space shuttle, from there transfer into a Yeoman freighter. Of note is, we can outfit a Yeoman freighter with habitation modules for up to 500 people with minimal adjustments. This vessel would then do the 2-day trip to the habitat, return to Earth, resupply and do the run again.
If Selenarctos would accept this plan, we could ferry 500 people per week, or around 26,000 people per year. Expansion of the ferry plan would be possible as well.

With Regards,"
Charles Rocketworth
Ministry of Space Technology

Edited by Lynneth

[b]Reply to the Lunar Republic:[/b]

Thank you for your offer; at this time we do not wish invest in external regular or sponsored transportation, but we will certainly not prevent our citizens from choosing to travel through the Lunar Republic if they choose to.

Sincerely,
Secretary Sora Armijo