Pour an ice cold IRON

RavingMainyYak

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So this is the part where we all tell IRON that their beer reviews have been unacceptable and pathetic and in no way fulfilled either the letter or the spirit of the terms of their surrender, right?

Because I'd like to tell them that.

Because it's true.

To: ironone From: bay102174 Date: 8/3/2009 9:52:14 AM

Subject: Beer review

I liked this beer.

Sam Adams Seasonal? Which one? Winter Lager, Summer Ale, Octoberfest, White Ale, Old Fezziwig, Cranberry Limbic, or Holiday Porter?

So this is the part where we all tell IRON that their beer reviews have been unacceptable and pathetic and in no way fulfilled either the letter or the spirit of the terms of their surrender, right?

Because I'd like to tell them that.

Because it's true.

Nah. A number of 'em have been quite good, including the one in the OP of this thread (which was admittedly late, but we've already crossed that bridge). I'm just disappointed that so few of them managed to send theirs out. And that most recent one, well, I question whether it fulfills the requirement of "thorough." ;)

Nah. A number of 'em have been quite good, including the one in the OP of this thread (which was admittedly late, but we've already crossed that bridge). I'm just disappointed that so few of them managed to send theirs out. And that most recent one, well, I question whether it fulfills the requirement of "thorough." ;)

Okay, fine. Can we just ZI bay102174 then?

Let's take a look back, shall we? IRON fought well, but in the end willingly signed a treaty of surrender.

20090803-z38p-77kb.jpg

Article 10 was all about honor. Yes, we made it a lighthearted test of honor, but a test is was and is.

Honor would suggest those who signed would fulfill the terms of the agreement, in a timely manner, particularly one involving little pain and much pleasure.

It took a gentle prod to remind others in IRON's gov of their obligation. Earlier today we heard from Matt Miller. While tardy, his report fulfilled the key requisite of demonstrating he is a man of honor.

Now, another member of IRON gov, bay102174 offers this:

The matter is not closed and Article 10 was and is not optional.

This is not what one expects from a person of honor and personal integrity.

I am very disappointed that bay102174 has displayed neither.

Unacceptable IRON, this is truly a serious matter, you must show yourselves to be people of your word and correct this matter in the most expeditious manner possible, whatever that may be.

oh, and fat tire is lame; and knowing which Sam Adams Seasonal it is (I assume summer Ale but ...) would be nice too.

If you haven't tried Boulevard Brewery's Wheat Ale, I suggest you do, it's a light ale much like the Blue Moon previously, but has that bite to it, and goes well with lemons. huzzah.

Also, Moosehead Lager has a special place in my heart as far as beer goes.

You call that a beer review?!? My son writes better book reviews and he's four.

You give your son beer? :o

I am a little disappointed to see no pale ales on this list, especially in the summer.

Blue Moon is becoming the new "cool" beer because it gives people who dont really appreciate beer the appearance of looking like a beer snob (it is seriously easy to drink, even for people who dont like beer). Sure, I like a good light summer wheat beer, but I typically prefer a heff like Paulaner or Pyramid.

I will add a few to the list for completeness:

Shiner Bock

Dogfish 90 min IPA

As far as light beers go, I will throw out Shiner Blonde (yes, I am a biased Texan)

I understand that this post is part of surrender terms and is alliance-related. However, given the nature of the topic, it has already generated enough OOC references to justify my moving it.

Also, Boddington's is a bit heavy but it's one of the few canned beers that is comparable to what comes out of the keg.

While Boddingtons can be found in pasteurized kegs much like the canned counterpart, cask-conditioned Boddingtons is far superior. :P

Blue Moon is becoming the new "cool" beer because it gives people who dont really appreciate beer the appearance of looking like a beer snob (it is seriously easy to drink, even for people who dont like beer). Sure, I like a good light summer wheat beer, but I typically prefer a heff like Paulaner or Pyramid.

Pyramid is alright, but it really seems to vary from batch to batch when I try them. If you're looking for a decent hefeweizen, might I toss out the recommendation of Henry Weinhards? I'd only tried the Private Reserve (which is also quite good) until a camping trip about a month ago, when I tried out the hefe - I liked it. Apparently I'm in the minority with that, so YMMV, but yeah. I'm a fan.

Edited by Janquel

I'm a fan of Franziskaner Hefeweissen for wheat beers. But typically I prefer a hoppy IPA. I really prefer beer reviews that actually go into to detail and have some fun but I guess some people don't know how to enjoy themselves. <_<

Dogfish Head 60 and 90 minute ales are good. The 120 Minute Ale is just a bit much for me. I'm a real fan of Breckenridge Small Batch 471. Sam Adams Summer Ale is one of my favorite seasonals. Sam Boston Lager is one of the best mass-produced beers out there. Living in Texas I'm pretty much in love with Shiner. After leaving PA I kind of miss Yuengling, which was about the only good thing in PA. In conclusion, stay classy IRON.

ron-burgundy.jpg

For those IRONers (IRONites? IRONtonians?) who are looking for a few good, accessible beers to drink (or maybe even review, gasp!), take your eyes off the bottom shelf and look upward a bit. There are usually quite a few mass-market seasonal brews available that are good and IMO summer usually has the best of the seasonals. Sam Adams Summer Ale and Sierra Nevada Summerfest come to mind.

Cheers!

For those IRONers (IRONites? IRONtonians?) who are looking for a few good, accessible beers to drink (or maybe even review, gasp!), take your eyes off the bottom shelf and look upward a bit. There are usually quite a few mass-market seasonal brews available that are good and IMO summer usually has the best of the seasonals. Sam Adams Summer Ale and Sierra Nevada Summerfest come to mind.

Cheers!

Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale is another good one. Despite its darker color, it has a light malty flavor and a crisp ending which is quite refreshing when beating the summer heat.

Amstel lite? We only get the lager version around here. May I suggest you give that a try? Not bad a bad beer in my opinion.

Let me take this opportunity to place an ancient curse on bay102174. May your next beer be warm and flat. Let it give you a slight headache.

As was I, but I think though produced by a brewery it is technically considered a spirit.

I am fairly sure it IS considered a beer--it is brewed, after all.

There are other beers out there of comparable alcohol content--Utopias are 25% abv, BFM Abbaye de Bon Chien 2005 (a swiss sour ale) is 15% abv, Dogfish Head 90 min is 9%. So it's not unheard of.

PS: These are good options for the last IRON review.

Edited by Kiss Goodbye