Liga Mundo - Season 6

Botha

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pro-tip: You will always beat the Reds if you put your goalkeepers as forwards and a forward as goalkeeper.

LOL too bad Ricardo van Deinsen retired before I ever go to play a match against you. He was one of my best forwards but also played in goal twice (when both my keepers were injured and/or suspended) and he went undefeated.

Excellent. I wonder who comes up against us next... I like this seeding thing, it gives me the less-skilled teams - no VolNation clash in the second round or something like that :P

Oh yeah, Coach Courtney is back in the fray of Arcadia FC - the Board was very impressed with her correct guess of formation for Keville United: "I can see the team playing a 4-3-3, or maybe a 4-4-2". And what did they play? 4-3-3.

Now that I got knocked out of the first round, here's my unbiased predictions for the second round:

Voobaha National over PEI FC and Arcadia FC over Keville United FC are obvious although I think Keville will put up a good fight.

The Manager of PEI FC would like to thank Mr. Botha for his inspiring quote which was posted in the locker room all week. And since PEI won 3-1 they would appreciate a prediction for the next round.

Spence MacDougald picked up the hat trick including 2 in the first 4 minutes, he even thanked Mr. Botha personally in his after game interview.

The Manager of PEI FC would like to thank Mr. Botha for his inspiring quote which was posted in the locker room all week. And since PEI won 3-1 they would appreciate a prediction for the next round.

Springboks manager Bartnel Botha went 6 for 8 on his predictions, overestimating Swamplandia to win and calling a no-brainer for Voobaha which ended up biting him square in his boere arse.

Once the cup schedule is released, Transvaler Daaglikse Sportnuus will carry Manager Botha's predictions for the next round.

In a local media magazine in Luz Del Mar, forward Gamrí Di María Florés is quoted as saying "I would love to play PEI FC next round in the cup. They have played very well, and have been the Cinderella being a team bought out and rebounded very well with a win against a Primera club this season in the cup."

Gamrí Di María Florés has scored 5 goals, assisted 1 in 4-consecutive games. Get'cha Popcorn :awesome:

Well kept the Arcadia damage down to 2-0, and one of those was scored from a set piece. Only problem was our forwards not quite able to penetrate the Arcadian defence. We def put up a fight though - 6 yellow cards in one game must be some sort of record. Amazing that there were no sending offs.

Well time to concentrate on the league next - Volnation away on Friday. Not going to get any easier this!

This is a press release from one of my other national club teams, Egon FC, about their upcoming match. To truly understand it, you have to know that we played VolNation in a friendly away (lost 2-1), and then a League match away (lost 4-0), and then a Cup match at home (tied 1-1, with VolNation scoring the equalizer in injury time in the 91st minute).

Egon FC looks for first League Win

Egon FC is playing someone other than VolNation? What?

It's true, Egon sports fans, but don't panic. Our beloved Egon FC will likely find a way to lose or draw somehow. After spoiling away a great opportunity to steal one from VolNation on their home pitch in Cup play, what more could be expected, right?

Yes, that injury time goal still stings, but Egon FC must turn their attention to the Tritonia Tides, looking to get their first win in League play in... well, their history, duh. And that 4-0 demolishing that VolNation put on them is sure to still be fresh in their minds. As is that 1-1 draw. You catch our drift.

The good thing about playing Tritonia? Their name isn't the VolNation Volunteers. There's a rumor going around that team officials have asked some fans to wear VolNation orange so the team thinks they are still playing against the Volunteers. I'm sorry, who are we playing again? That's right, the Tritonia Tides.

Player to look out from Tritonia has got to be Luke Christensen, though they showed in their match against the Hell Hounds that there are many players than him that can score. I mean, that's obvious since Christensen only had one goal and the team scored five.

No word yet on if Christensen will be joining VolNation anytime soon.

I forgot to mention, this is for the Ark League.

Edited by Pravus Ingruo

After going 6 for 8 with his predictions for the second round of the Copa Del Mar, Transvaler Daaglikse Sportnuus brings you Springboks manager Bartnel Botha with his predictions for the quarterfinal round:

“I must admit that I was hoping for some better match-ups, in the hopes that a cinderella run could be made by one of the bridesmaids and we would see a Big Three clash which would open up the playing field for the semifinals – but unfortunately that won’t be the case. Each of the Big Three have drawn considerably weaker opponents, none of which I can see offering more than a cursory speed-up effort on the road to the next round. “

“Therefore, I must go with the obvious choices: VolNation Volunteers over Dun Carrig Bohs, Atlético Luz Del Mar over FC Jekerger, and Arcadia FC over SiPS.”

“There is very little to say about these match-ups, except that if either VolNation or ALDM crash and burn, it would be heralded as the greatest upset in Liga Mundo history, while SiPS does has the potential to make life miserable for Arcadia FC in what should end up being a form battle. An upset here would prove to be a huge black mark on Coach Courtney’s return to Arcadian Stadium – but I don’t see that happening. I think Arcadia FC is now bent on winning ‘something’ be it the cup or the league pennant to reinforce their Big Three status after seeing their hopes dashed last season by Yours Truly.”

“That now leaves us Estrella Roja vs PEI FC.”

“Both teams have made good work of their cup opponents with Roja walking away with a convincing 5-2 win against Primera rivals Swamplandia while PEI FC were the darlings of the second round with their assertive upset of Voobaha National that raised quite a few eyebrows. Comparing these two teams, they appear to be pretty evenly matched although Estrella Roja has an edge in coaching while PEI FC has a noticeable advantage in form – with their keeper probably more on top of his game right now than any other in Liga Mundo while Estrella Roja looks pretty flatfooted up front and in the midfield.”

“As a habit, I always like to pull for the underdog and after watching PEI FC proving me wrong in the last round, I will go out on a limb and say PEI FC over Estrella Roja - although barely, as this could well go down to the wire in OT in which case PEI should have the advantage with better physique.”

The Duckies are blaming their cup failure to poor scheduling. Manager DD commented. "Whoever set up our schedule this offseason scheduled a friendly right ahead of the cup matches. The starters were given the week off for the friendly and following our friendly loss, the upcoming cup match was discovered on the schedule the very next day. The starters were called but not in time that they could make proper travel arrangements to the match. The training squad was no match even against a Tercera opponent."

Week 1 in La Liga

-Lutherville Press

Another year, another group of managers with high expectations and fans with even higher ones. Last year saw the Boks' surprise Planet Bob by finishing ahead of the once mighty "Big 3" and clench their first league Title. No doubt they are looking to defend their title and solidify their standing as the top of the class.

Match of the Week

Voobaha National @ Atlético Luz Del Mar

Voobaha has been a solid team since their inception, and finally they have shown that they are ready to play with the big boys. Last season they were crowned champions of Segunda behind the stellar play of defender Raimond Biezen. This year they hope they can continue to work their VooNat magic and gain enough points to stay in the top flight.

Atlético will pin it's hopes at a championship run on the shoulders of their stalwart defense with headliner Lois Luis. If the squad in the back can keep the balls out of the goal the team has a chance to make a run, but they have a hard time keeping pace in high scoring games.

This game will be a good matchup of two defensive squads and will give us a good look at the quality of the Segunda Champ. Expect a low scoring game as both defenses settle in. One mistake or excellent opportunity could decide this game either way though the expectation has to be on Atlético to come away with the home victory.

Atlético Luz Del Mar 1 - 0 Voobaha National

Other matches:

Estrella Roja 1 - 4 1984 Duckies FC

Estrella Roja hopes to improve on last season's disappointing 6th place finish this season, but their offseason activity seems to show that they are more committed to developing a young team than making a run for the division. The Duckies' young team looks to be about ready to make a serious run though it is yet to be seen as to whether this is the year to expect big things from them. Look for Estrella's midfield struggle to maintain possession against the strong midfield of the Duckies.

VolNation Volunteers 5 - 0 Keville United FC

United jumped into the transfer market too late this offseason to bring in enough talent to compete with the likes of VolNat. Their aging squad paired with overmatched talent will not be able to stop the perennially deep VolNat squad.

Swamplandia Sinners 2 - 4 Arcadia FC

Swamplandia is still in the Primera? Yep, thanks to two years of league expansion, the Sinners have beaten the system yet again to remain in the top division. However don't look for them to take advantage of their good fortunes this week. Arcadia will come out looking for blood after last years horrendous start.

Segunda Predictions:

There are alot of good squads in Segunda this season. Spartak has to be one of the favorites after loosing the promotion race in the last week last season. Other teams to keep an eye on are the Bohs, FCF, 'Puerto, and PEI.

Dun Carrig Bohs 3 - 2 FC Franzharia

Dendarii FC 3 - 3 FC Jekerger

A.M. Adepts FC 1 - 4 Spartak MK

Estrellapuerto FC 4 - 2 PEI FC

Tercera Predictions:

Durkastan 3 - 1 RMI Armed Forces FC

Redemptio Reds 1 - 2 Boltonia

Compostela Artois 3 - 1 Atlético Melloria

S Team 2 - 2 Atlético Vinilandês

VolNation Volunteers 5 - 0 Keville United FC

United jumped into the transfer market too late this offseason to bring in enough talent to compete with the likes of VolNat. Their aging squad paired with overmatched talent will not be able to stop the perennially deep VolNat squad.

Ageing squad?

Average age in line-up

Defence (GK+D): 28.6 years

Offence (MF+F): 25.83 years

Total line-up: 27.09 years

My defence is relatively older, but my midfielders and strikers are quite young - infact my best striker, and last season's highest Segunda points scorer Ted Rotenston is only 21. I may have 6 players in their 30s, but they are all there because they can still cut it; I also have a pro youth policy and have 3 teenagers on the books - I'd have more if there wasn't a squad size limit. My big signing the other day, Rene Lobadov, might be 34 but he is there to shore up a defence which is going to have a tough time this season, and he seems like a good signing for the cost even if I only get a season or two out of him. Besides, the best defenders are always the most experienced.

Gamrí Di María Florés(20) & Zé Cocôa(18) will be the scariest thing since Ian Robertson x2. I had to throw that in there I was called an aging team as well. Its media fodder my friend, Its much welcomed in my opinion :D

Reds Blow by Boltonia

"Predictions? What predictions?" "Your predictions suck." "Your momma predicted she'd have a smart kid, look how that turned out."

These signs and more dotted the landscape of Memorial Stadium as the Reds took to the pitch in their first League match against Boltonia. Predictions that had gone out earlier this week had the Reds falling to the team that finished 5th out of seven teams in Serie Tercera last season 2-1. From the get-go, a determined Redemptio team was not going to let that happen.

"Of course it was bulletin board material," said captain Oliver Ellison. "When would a boneheaded prediction like that not be?"

Both teams got their early chances on net. A spectacular bicycle kick by Austin Pugh of Boltonia required a pretty leg save by Rich Rayner in the 4th minute. After Lee Morell of Boltonia picked up a yellow for stamping, the Reds got their first, and only chance, of the half as Ed Osborne lifted a beautiful free kick to Elliot Robertson. The half volley Robertson put on net required a spectacular save from the Boltonia keeper Hiller, which even drew some applause from the Reds faithful.

When asked about the yellow to Morell, resident old guy Simon Le just laughed. "He was our marked man for the day," Le said afterwards. "Apparently, he didn't like all the attention that we were giving him."

The second half started out fast, with Boltonia scoring just a minute in as Pugh chipped it in on goal after a corner kick by Archie Samways. Just two minutes later, the Reds got a spectacular chance of their own, off another free kick from Osborn. This time, Brett Hogue knocked a header towards the goal that beat the keeper but careened off the left post.

The Reds kept up the pressure on Boltonia, with Irvin Valezquez missing a shot wide in the 54th minute off the side of his foot. After a penalty on Boltonia in the 55th minute, defensemen Leslie Turner lined up for a penalty shot and tickled the twine, tying the game at one apiece.

The game continued on a back and forth pace for almost the next twenty minutes before a second yellow was handed out, this time to Boltonia's Pugh for unsportsmanlike conduct. A minute after that, Brett Hogue fired a shot from thirty yards out that arced past Hiller's outstretched arms to make it 2-1 Reds.

The shouts of "Scoreboard" and "There's your prediction" were quickly quieted as in the 77th minute, Boltonia's Baxter Waring placed an excellent shot on net, only to see it punched away by Rayner.

Four minutes before the end of regulation, Oliver Ellison got the ball out to Adam McDougal for a breakaway, and McDougal did the rest, deftly dancing around Hiller to give the Reds their insurance marker, 3-1.

A confusing and somewhat controversial play occurred in the final minute when Betram Bay hit a streaking Baxter Waring for Boltonia and Waring put the ball past the diving Rayner, seemingly making it a 3-2 game. However, an offsides was called, one that was roundly criticized by Boltonia players. Rayner, however, agreed.

"He was in the box before he got the ball. I thought he was coming too fast so I was watching Bay, and suddenly he passed it. He clearly was in the box before the ball got there, I'm not really sure what they were complaining about."

It didn't make a difference as the game ended after four minutes of injury time, with the final score 3-2 in favor of the Reds. Afterwards, captain Ellison had a few words for the international presses.

"Do not underestimate the Reds. We are prepared, we are talented, and we have more heart than anyone out here. Underestimate us, and we will own you. We've said it from the beginning, our goal is Segunda. Anyone who thinks they can stop us is foolish."