Liga Mundo - Season 5

Botha

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“Met God so my getuie haat ek hulle…”

“With God as my witness, I hate them…” Those fateful words, uttered last week by midfielder Detlef Botha when asked about the upcoming match against Coach Courtney’s crew, hung over the Springboks yesterday like cloud of impending doom as they made their way to Arcadian Stadium.

Would the boastings of a 20-year-old second-year player jinx his teammates – or galvanise them?

Thankfully for Die Bokke’s faithful, those boastful words were exactly what were needed to spark Transvaal to arguably one of the club’s biggest wins ever as the Springboks defeated Arcadia FC 3-1 while on the road. Only once before has Transvaal been able to overcome the talented Arcadian side in thirteen outings – and never leaving Arcadian Stadium with a single point… until yesterday morning.

And a key factor in that victory was the man at the centre of the verbal jousting – Detlef Botha himself – as the tough-minded midfielder scored the go-ahead goal and picked up one assist to go along with his first-ever X11 selection.

Heading into the match, there was some concern over attacking formation as forward Charles Brennan was forced to sit out a one-game suspension accrued from the cup match versus Kelville United. Balthazar Botha got his first start of the season but never looked out of place as he got the Springboks on the scoreboard around 9 minutes into the first half.

At the end of the first half, the score line was Botha Brothers 2, Arcadia FC 1. Dick Witchge would bag the ’Boks’ third tally in the middle of the second half when Detlef Botha set him up from a freekick set-play.

Despite a disadvantage of possession, the Springboks lead in shots on net with 8 for Arcadia’s 5. Keeper Thurston Alderton saw his clean sheet streak stopped but nevertheless walked away with man-of-the-match honours as well as garnering X11 selection in the Primera for the third week in a row.

After the final whistle, on-field officials and stadium stewards made for Detlef Botha in case he tried to use the win to further provoke the Arcadian crowd - however the heavy security was not required as he amicably waved to some fans wearing ’Boks colours and then quietly took time out to sign autographs for Transvaler and Arcadian fans alike before leaving the pitch.

Next up on the slate for Transvaal is the second-leg cup match against Kelville United at Loftus Versfeld – although cup competition is under review by the club.

“Depending on whom we’d play in the next round, we may decide to tank our cup effort this year if we make it past Kelville” stated Manager Bartnel Botha to the Arcadian and Transvaler press after the match.

“This is the first season where we have been in a strong position to challenge for the league championship, so each and every game is now important. There aren’t any teams at all we can afford to take lightly in the Primera, so the question has arisen ‘how will we find playing time for our junior signings?’ We may just use those matches in the next round as experience for them and not worry about the results or the cup this year. Each week our focus has been narrowing down on making a strong league run.”

I seriously can't believe I'm almost in the relegation zone...

:o I seriously can't believe I beat you... in your own building. I was reckoning I'd be lucky to walk away with a draw, not a two goal lead.

The scary thing is I still haven't been able to field my best line-up yet due to injuries, suspensions (we sure love our yellow cards in Transvaal), and poor form.

Week 4 Preview

-Lutherville Press (LP)

You know at the Summer Olympics when you would watch Michael Phelps jump into the pool and before you could blink he would be half a pool length ahead of the competition? Well that is what Transvaal is trying to pull on the Primera at the start of the season. Three games into the season they have already attained a 4 point cushion on the rest of the field. The problem? Tight games from the bottom forcing draws and lost points for the usual contenders. Perhaps this week someone else will make a leap from the pack and attempt to climb their way towards the top of the table.

Match of the Week

1984 Duckies FC @ SiPS

Usually when the two teams who just achieved promotion meet, the game is billed as the "pillow fight of the week." These two teams however seem determined to go against the grain and are relishing in their role of "Primera Crashers." However these two rivals are not content to share that title with one another.

The rivalry began last year as these two teams fought it out in the Segunda. They did not meet until nearly halfway through the season when they had 4 competitive games against one another in quick succession thanks to the scheduling of their cup matches along with their league fixtures. The first game was a cup match and went to the SiPS as the away team in a 3-0 drubbing. The seeds to start a great rivalry were planted. In the return cup match, the Duckies forced the draw, but were still left to return home disappointed in their performance. The bad blood and heated competition continued into the next matches as the away team always seemed determined to upset the crowd and steal the thunder. Neither team has had a home victory in this rivalry.

This year the rivalry takes on a new tone as the two teams attempt to not only establish themselves in the Primera, but also trying not to be labeled as the vulnerable new team in the league. Both teams are surprisingly undefeated in competition so far though SiPS have managed only to score draws in their first 3 matches.

The matchup will pit the well rounded SiPS against the tactically fluctuating Duckies. As far as table placement, this match could reverse the fortunes of the two clubs thus far. Duckies currently sit in the second position, a win would secure their spot for at least another week, a loss could knock them down to as low as possibly number 7. SiPS are sitting at number 5 in the table. A loss would knock them down one, possibly two spots, and a win could place them as high as second.

No doubt the 'bows will be flying in this match. Hopefully the ref can keep things under control so that nobody is seriously injured for the rest of the campaign.

SiPS 2 - 2 Duckies

Other Predictions:

Arcadia FC 4 - 0 Swamplandia Sinners

Up to this point of the season both of these teams are having seasons to forget. Arcadia was hoping to be sitting comfortably in the spot occupied by Transvaal, but instead they have managed only two points in three matches. Swamplandia avoided relegation due to an expanding league and it could be said that they would be happier had they been relegated. However last week's result against SiPS was a rare beam of light on this squad. Unfortunately they will probably not be warmly greeted by Arcadia in this match.

VolNation Volunteers 1 - 2 Transvaal Springboks

If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best, historically the Vols have been the top dog in the Primera, but this year has seen them struggle. Transvaal is the darling of the ball at the moment and can silent their critics with a good victory in this match. Look for the 'Boks defense to continue to come up big while their forwards sneak a few in against the Vols.

Atlético Luz Del Mar 3 - 2 Estrella Roja

Atlético is looking to blow off some steam this week after last weeks costly loss to the Duckies. The loss knocked them out of striking distance for first and the reigning champs are still dreaming of the repeat. Roja has been expected to be relegated this week by many observers, but they are not taking that role lying down. Last week they showed that there is still life in the club by forcing a draw against the Vols.

Serie Segunda:

FC Stalybridge 1 - 3 Keville United FC

Rivendell FC 1 - 2 Clyde Albion

Voobaha National 2 - 2 FC Franzharia

Spartak MK 2 - 0 Estrellapuerto FC

Serie Tercera:

Compostela Artois 3 - 4 Dun Carrig Bohs

Durkastan 1 - 3 FC Jekerger

El Entrego 2 - 1 Boltonia

If Arcadia loses this week, an ultimatum be posted to our current Coach's office. The memo reads, "Win, or you're out. A draw is not sufficient. Win, or you're fired."

But who shall be Arcadia's new Coach? Well, the Arcadia FC board has shown that equal opportunity in the Arcadian Empire is still strong. So, all shall be unveiled after the match with Voobaha... of course, any win will mean progress in the Cup.

I am now available to join a second private league. If there is still a Liga Mundo team that is without leadership, I would be happy to take on the challenge.

League Admin Premier Apex is the one to ask about that and has the final say - although the general rule we follow now is we don't allow existing teams to be taken over because it isn't fair to all those in the lower divisions who started with brand new teams and have put in the time and effort to work their way up the table and through the divisions.

That said but I'd be all for having you take over an existing Tercera (Third Division) team if there is one abandoned and available. All the Primera teams this year appear active at this point, not sure about the Segunda.

Stalybridge (in Segunda) is the only inactive team at the moment. But either way, welcome aboard Machiabelly.

Agreed... I too would like to see Machiabelly in the LM

Maybe PremierApex can let him take Stalybridge over in the second half of the season so it doesn't have an adverse affect on the rest of the Segunda outcome? By then the team would likely be consigned to relegation. Then in the off-season Machiabelly can rename the team, etc.

I was wrong before. Rivendell is the inactive team (not on since Jan) Stalybridge hasn't been on for two weeks, not long enough to be declared inactive yet.

Unfortunately however, Rivendell is also a Segunda team.

So Kevinho, you should be safe from relegation.

In other news...

Who is going to stop those 'Boks?

Edited by DinendelDucky

Who is going to stop those 'Boks?

League... I'd say probably ALDM if not VolNation. I just don't see my form holding up through both matches - and high form has basically been what I have been riding. If I somehow make it past ADLM and VolNation without losing I will officially crap my pants. I've never done well against ALDM home or away.

Cup... I have no clue as I'm using the next round (assuming I make it past Kelville) for palyer development.

Based on overall talent ratings alone, I should be at the bottom of the table (cause I am carrying 3-5 developmental players)

yay Mach will be in Liga Mundo

This is good.

Edited by Botha

Kevinho, you should be safe from relegation.

I hope so, but I'm ready to tough it out anyway. And maybe secure a safe place higher up the division.

Cup... I have no clue as I'm using the next round (assuming I make it past Kelville) for palyer development.

I know your team is better on paper, but don't count your chickens yet - you are only one goal ahead of me. ;)

Admittedly it means winning away at the best team in the league, but you never know!