Liga Mundo - Season 5

Botha

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about VolNation?

The difference is when VolNation plays a poor game, they just sweep in under the carpet and move along, while when Arcadia plays a poor game, it's a national crisis. I'm amazed how Coach Courtney keeps her job year in year out with all the pressure she must face at the helm.:popcorn:

Yes, it is a national crisis...we just like it that much.

And she keeps her job because if we fire her...there will be an even bigger national crisis when she screams, "Sexual discrimination!" to the world...anyway, she gets butts on seats. And whether they watch the game, or her, it's money for us :awesome:

Week 2 Preview

-The Lutherville Press (LP)

After one week, the Primera looks to be very wide open. This could be the year of all sorts of storylines, Repeats, Return to Glory, Fall from Glory, Primera Party Crashers, are all headlines that could manifest this season. But let's slow down and take a look at the upcoming week.

Game of the Week:

SiPS @ ALDM

It is always nice to be on top, that is how the season ended last year for Atlético and that is how the tables look right now. Atlético are coming off of a good season opening victory against the Sinners, where their defense seemingly erected a brick wall in the back, but there are still questions about their validity as "top club." Though reality says that this week's matchup against SiPS will not stop speculation, a loss will only fuel the flames. Truely this is a lose-lose situation for ALDM, especially at home, though nobody can object that a win will keep them safely at the top of the table.

SiPS are about to travel for their first ever road game against one of the "Big Three." In week one the SiPS gave a clinic on the execution and importance of finishing in a match. Their big star was Petteri Eerikäinen who put the ball in the ol' onion bag twice. The question is, can the club feed on their momentum and carry it forward this week?

The question this week becomes, can SiPS work their way around the Atlético backfield without providing too many opportunities to their opponent? This game looks as though it will be too much for SiPS to handle and GM Calderon will come out 3 points closer to a repeat.

ALDM 2 - 0 SiPS

Other Matches:

VolNation Volunteers 3 - 1 1984 Duckies FC

These two teams did not start the season how people predicted they would. For the Volunteers it was a disappointment to come out with only a point last week. However for the Duckies it was impressive. The Duckies continue their road trip this week and neutral observers cannot help but believe that there is no way they will continue their luck. Also look for the Volunteers to come out fired up after last week's letdown.

Estrella Roja 1 - 4 Arcadia FC

It is only the beginning of the season, but Roja seem to be in hot water already. Week one saw them start off the season with a defeat and they are hoping that this week they can regain some momentum with the help of their home crowd. The Arcadia players are not in a good mood this week and are already planning on taking out their aggression on Roja, against whom they went unbeaten against last season through 4 matches.

Swamplandia Sinners 2 - 3 Transvaal Springboks

The Springboks have not been a popular pick to finish at the top of the table this year. However after one week they find themselves at the top and are now tasked with staying in that place. This week they travel to Swamplandia to see if they can complete that task. The Sinners on the other hand are trying their best to right their ship, which has early in the season sunk to the bottom of the table. Three points at home would no doubt help them to at least the middle of the table.

Serie Segunda:

Voobaha National 3 - 1 Clyde Albion

Estrellapuerto FC 2 - 0 FC Stalybridge

Spartak MK 3 - 0 Rivendell FC

Keville United FC 2 - 2 FC Franzharia

Serie Tercera:

Compostela Artois 2 - 1 FC Jekerger

El Entrego 3 - 0 Durkastan

Boltonia 2 - 1 Dragonia United FC

Edited by DinendelDucky

Starting out the year with a draw versus 'Puerto? Hmmm. I'm looking for three or four, but I'm not adverse to trying to win Segunda too.

I have to say that the Segunda Liga looks very interesting this season with a great bunch of managers. There's probably four or five teams I can see vying for promotion.

I have to say that the Segunda Liga looks very interesting this season with a great bunch of managers. There's probably four or five teams I can see vying for promotion.

I believe Voo will earn one of them, the other one is up for grabs though.

The difference is when VolNation plays a poor game, they just sweep in under the carpet and move along, while when Arcadia plays a poor game, it's a national crisis. I'm amazed how Coach Courtney keeps her job year in year out with all the pressure she must face at the helm.:popcorn:

It still gets under our skin, though. Our tradition is to win, and draws are just viewed as minus points. Now, if SiPS took out ALDM, we'd feel better... ;)

Talking about minus points, seems you've suffered the drawbug too :P

Here's an important press release for me, probably one of the ones I like best...

Arcadia FC's Coach Courtney released a statement after the sides 2-2 draw with Estrella Roja. The statement contained her estimate on how many points Pikachu FC needed to win the league, stating, "It is my estimate that for Pikachu FC to win Liga Mundo this season - Pikachu FC must attain a level of 31 points."

Thirty-one points. With 2 points from two games, Coach Courtney's Pikachu FC needs 29 points from 12 matches to attain this target. Can they? Note that they must win at least 8 of next 12 matches to even accomplish this feat.

History tell us that ALDM won with 31 points last season, VolNation won with 32 points before that, and then 34 points before that, and then if we average out VolNation's 47 points from 22 games, we find that their score after 14 games would be around 29.

So what does Coach Courtney's target say about her team? Out of a maximum 42 points, she's aiming right about average - I think her target may be good enough for a win this season, considering the other big 3 are struggling after 2 matchdays. But then, I also think it's a bit low...

We must be missing something. But I wouldn't know, maybe it's the woman's intuition I am lacking.

And I forgot to add at the end, If Coach Courtney wins this season, she ought to by herself a lottery ticket.

Week 2 in La Liga

-Lutherville Press (LP)

The surprises in Primera continued this week, the biggest of these surprises coming with the name of SiPS and Duckies. The two promoted teams from last year continue to crash the party of the perennial Primera teams. For the second week in a row the new teams pulled off draws against "Big 3" teams.

It was a week of exciting finishes, with two of the four games having critical goals come in injury time. Atlético was just seconds away from falling in defeat to SiPS but received a desperation, short-sided, goal from Farriá-Forreiró in the third minute of extra time. The Duckies also received a lift when, down a man, Boto found the net in the 91st minute. Both of these games finished deadlocked and contributed to our jammed table.

Other headlines from week two include, Arcadia failing to get three points once again, this week at Roja, and very quietly, the Springboks have taken the top of the table. Amazingly, through 2 weeks, 75% of the table is undefeated at the same time as 75% of the teams have yet to have a single victory. This could be the most competitive group of teams to compete in the Primera in it's short history.

Results

Atlético Luz Del Mar 3 - 3 SiPS

Poss%: 50-50 SoG: 5-7

Scoreline: ALDM: Ochotorena (8'), Vizcaíno (26'), Farriá-Forreiró (93') SiPS: Rouhiainen (44'), Rasimus (54', 72')

Subs: ALDM: Asenjo in for Mugerza (29') SiPS: Salomäki in for Tenhola (56')

Bookings: Cavaní (Y, 27'; 2Y/R, 89')

VolNation Volunteers 3 - 3 1984 Duckies FC

Poss%: 59-41 SoG: 7-6

Scoreline: Vols: Atkinson (5', 42'), Goodwin (79') 1984: Mahony (57'), Pitt (64'), Boto (91')

Subs: Vols: Rich in for Stewart (83')

Bookings: 1984: Pedersen (Y, 34'; 2Y/R, 83')

Estrella Roja 2 - 2 Arcadia FC

Poss%: 53-47 SoG: 5-2

Scoreline: Roja: OG Napieralski (45'), Yebga (52') AFC: Kewell (12'), Fitzpatrick (55')

Subs: AFC: Traversa in for Fitzpatrick (67')

Bookings: Roja: Asturias (Y, 55'), Garro (Y, 79') AFC: Kewell (Y, 32')

Swamplandia Sinners 0 - 3 Transvaal Springboks

Poss%: 50-50 SoG: 2-8

Scoreline Boks: Brennan (6', 74'), Deinsen (60')

Subs: SS: Battle in for Cardoso (37')

Bookings: SS: Clay (Y, 14'), Li (Y, 54') Boks: Witchge (Y, 4'), van der Meer (Y, 27'), Baako (Y, 40'), Hörtnagl (Y, 56'), van Buyten (Y, 75')

Serie Segunda:

Spartak MK 4 - 0 Rivendell FC

Voobaha National 6 - 0 Clyde Albion

Estrellapuerto FC 3 - 0 FC Stalybridge

Keville United FC 0 - 1 FC Franzharia

Serie Tercera:

Boltonia 2 - 1 Dragonia United FC

El Entrego 5 - 0 Durkastan

Compostela Artois 1 - 0 FC Jekerger

Edited by DinendelDucky

’Boks head into uncharted territory

“That we are sitting with six points after two matches doesn’t surprise me much – however, being alone at the top of the table does. It’s quite shocking really, something I never expected...”

Those were the first words of Manager Botha during this morning’s post-game conference at Purgatory Palace after the Transvaal Springboks defeated the hometown Swamplandia Sinners 3-0. Charles Brennan scored twice and Ricardo van Deinsen once while Thurston Alderton picked up his second clean sheet in a row.

“I expected a win against Swamplandia, although admittedly a much closer result than what we walked away with as MudBug’s crew have always proven a troublesome opponent for us over the seasons. But seeing the Big Three teams performing sub-par the past couple of weeks is really alarming – especially since our next three league matches are all against Big Three sides.”

“I have told our boys not to get their hopes up and think just because we are sitting in first place that means we can slack off. The next three weeks in the league will be our biggest tests yet as we’ve never done well on the road versus the Big Three. No doubt they will all be gunning to reverse their fortunes in the table at our expense.”

“To our own benefit, we haven’t even seen our top line-up out there yet. I’ve been inserting second-liners here and there so as to give them some playing time as well as let a couple of our key vets rest up from injuries and recover poor form in time for the three upcoming clashes.”

Week 3 Preview

-Lutherville Press (LP)

What a knock down-drag out brawl we currently have in the Primera. Currently there is only one team, the Springboks, which is safe from possibly being in relegation danger come the end of the week. The entire table could nearly be flipped upside down following one matchday. This week is separation week as teams try to get themselves established within the table so they can also pay attention to the cup as it kicks into full stride.

Match of the Week:

Transvaal Springboks @ Arcadia FC

The Boks come into this separation week as the only team which has started off the year by showing that they are making a real run for the title. Some have noted that the weak early schedule has helped the Transvaal side but they have thus far capitalized on their chances and are right where they need to be. With 6 points in 2 games they know that even with a loss this week they can fall no further than second in the standings. However don't for one second believe that they will not come out firing on all cylinders. Behind the brilliant striking of Brennan the Boks have put the ball in the net the most of any Primera side so far this season. If he gets hot again AFC might find they have their hands full.

Arcadia has started off this season 5 campaign in a disappointing fashion. As the hot preseason pick to finish the league in the top spot Arcadia have yet to translate their obvious talent as seen on paper, to results on the field. The poor spot in lineup seems to be their midfield as they have failed to control possession in either of their two matches to this point, frustrating their forwards by not getting the opportunities they need to come away with victory. Last week the team capitalized on each opportunity given to them, but couldn't come away with a victory. However their early form does not mean that this team isn't the powerhouse they were predicted to be. The league being as tight as it currently is exactly what Arcadia needs to overcome their sluggish start and assume the top of the table within a few weeks.

At home this week, look for Arcadia FC to let out a little steam on the current top team, get some production out of their lineup of stars, and celebrate their rise in the table in front of their fans.

Arcadia FC 4 - 2 Transvaal Springboks

Other Matches:

Estrella Roja 2 - 2 VolNation Volunteers

Roja came out and exceeded expectations last week by taking a point away from Arcadia. The match ended Roja's streak of 5 consecutive league losses giving them a much needed boost. The Vols were disappointed once again last week by the Duckies in front of their own crowd. What they really need is a confidence boost in the form of a win. Unfortunately, another draw or loss in this match will not make the Vol faithful any happier.

1984 Duckies FC 3 - 2 Atlético Luz Del Mar

This week the Duckies complete their early season tour of the "Big 3" with a match against last season's champion Atlético. The Duckies finally get to play in front of their home crowd and are really hoping to treat them to a great experience. Atlético is the only team within striking distance of the Boks and a victory will put them back where they aim to be... the top.

SiPS 4 - 3 Swamplandia Sinners

SiPS (along with their promotion mates Duckies) have shocked the series thus far. Failing to get the memo that they are supposed to get walked over by the teams in the Primera, especially those of the "Big 3." This weeks sees the SiPs with their first good chance to come away with 3 points, at home against current cellar dweller Sinners. The Sinners are hoping to show signs of life. A win will most likely move them out of relegation for the present time and even a draw would be a much needed point.

Serie Segunda

Estrellapuerto FC 1 - 1 Voobaha National

FC Stalybridge 3 - 0 FC Franzharia

Clyde Albion 1 - 4 Spartak MK

Rivendell FC 2 - 2 Keville United FC

Serie Tercera

Dragonia United FC 1 - 2 Dun Carrig Bohs

FC Jekerger 3 - 2 El Entrego

Boltonia 2 - 4 Compostela Artois

Edit, Correction: Mathematically ALDM cannot be one of the bottom two after this week.

Edited by DinendelDucky