CN:TE: Shorten Rounds to One Month

CN:TE currently has 3-month rounds. At first I was excited about this, but I've changed my mind about it. A 3-month round takes away any kind of tournament atmosphere that may have been there before. It becomes less CN:TE and more CN. People treat it like CN: Server 2. Now, Admin, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you meant for TE to become mini-CN. It's no longer about trying to win a tournament and/or have fun with war... It's become less war and raiding and more politics. Again, I dunno what's in Admin's mind as to TE, but I don't think it's more CN politics. I believe that this change was brought about by the length of the rounds. There's no sense of a race to the top, nor is there any sense of, well, fun. It's become about the long haul. I like that in CN, but it's not what I or most people are looking for when we play TE. TE used to be about the short term... racing to the top to get your flag ingame, or just blowing stuff up. I propose making TE rounds 1 month long in order to bring back the tournament/war atmosphere that I believe it was designed to have.

-Bama

The first couple of weeks, it's possible to catch up to the top people relatively quickly. Around week 3 or 4, the people who are really doing well pull ahead and by the time we're into the second month, all incentive for war or competition at the top starts falling out the window. More than two months is way too long for a tournament atmosphere. I'd give it 45 days just so there is a week or two of solid growth at the end for the people who are serious about getting to the top of the ladder to win can have time to pull away, but once that happens, there isn't much of a need to go on with the round.

Indeed, I support this proposal, as I myself suggested it either near the end of the last round or near the beginning of this one.

Not only does the race lose its appeal, but many people quickly grow tired of the play and simply let their nations retire, returning solely to standard play. Part of the reason for this is the length of a tournament round. When you consider that CN has only been around for three years, three months for a tournament is a very long time.

When people get beaten down in standard, some quit because they will never catch up. Others play again because they figure they have an unlimited amount of time to catch up. In tournament, once beaten down, many people just figure they'll wait until the next round. If the round is only thirty days, well then by the time they're beaten down, the next round is just around the corner.

i would support a 6 week round if some major changes are made including less pop for improvements and all round cheaper military and navy. make the nation growth faster and more explosive would make the round exciting. in addition wars should not be 3 days max. and war slots should be expanded to 6 incoming and 6 outgoing. Perhaps even possible redeployment every 12 hours

CN:TE currently has 3-month rounds. At first I was excited about this, but I've changed my mind about it. A 3-month round takes away any kind of tournament atmosphere that may have been there before. It becomes less CN:TE and more CN. People treat it like CN: Server 2. Now, Admin, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you meant for TE to become mini-CN. It's no longer about trying to win a tournament and/or have fun with war... It's become less war and raiding and more politics. Again, I dunno what's in Admin's mind as to TE, but I don't think it's more CN politics. I believe that this change was brought about by the length of the rounds. There's no sense of a race to the top, nor is there any sense of, well, fun. It's become about the long haul. I like that in CN, but it's not what I or most people are looking for when we play TE. TE used to be about the short term... racing to the top to get your flag ingame, or just blowing stuff up. I propose making TE rounds 1 month long in order to bring back the tournament/war atmosphere that I believe it was designed to have.

-Bama

I gotta disagree with you here Bama. I don't think its the length of thr rounds that causes the atmosphere to change.the atmosphere is, i've noticed, driven by the alliance at the top. For example, with IDIOT in charge it was a very fly by the seat of your pants atmosphere all around. there were color wars, and other such stuff. When Murder Inc. took over control, things got more nasty and cut throat which, unintentionally, has cause this desire for a more "one sided" TE. MHA took the reigns and has been driving the politics of the game where they want it to go. To change the atmosphere, simply change the alliance at the top.

Personally i like having 90 days per round. It allows for coalitions to develop, for blocs to form, for counter blocs to form, to act like thugs, to get beat down for being thugs, etc. With 90 days as the limit you get to experience so much more in one round that you would otherwise. I'd rather have fewer, more meaningful rounds than have shorter less interesting (albeit probably more bloody) rounds.

Personally i like having 90 days per round. It allows for coalitions to develop, for blocs to form, for counter blocs to form, to act like thugs, to get beat down for being thugs, etc. With 90 days as the limit you get to experience so much more in one round that you would otherwise. I'd rather have fewer, more meaningful rounds than have shorter less interesting (albeit probably more bloody) rounds.

The problem here is that alliances carry over from round to round, and often they carry their treaties forward as well. You don't need 90 days to develop relationships. Now, if people would simply do something NEW each time, sure.

I gotta disagree with you here Bama. I don't think its the length of thr rounds that causes the atmosphere to change.the atmosphere is, i've noticed, driven by the alliance at the top. For example, with IDIOT in charge it was a very fly by the seat of your pants atmosphere all around. there were color wars, and other such stuff. When Murder Inc. took over control, things got more nasty and cut throat which, unintentionally, has cause this desire for a more "one sided" TE. MHA took the reigns and has been driving the politics of the game where they want it to go. To change the atmosphere, simply change the alliance at the top.

You're speaking as someone who takes part in and actually cares about TE politics. The majority of Tournament players couldn't care less. Most of us just want to fight, steal tech, and gain war experience, things we cannot do in Standard.

You're speaking as someone who takes part in and actually cares about TE politics. The majority of Tournament players couldn't care less. Most of us just want to fight, steal tech, and gain war experience, things we cannot do in Standard.

and?

you can still do all those things in the current state. Your nation gets obliterated? re-roll, problem solved. There are a great many, that still enjoy the politics of TE and that shouldn't be sacrificed imo.

Problem is, it always end up stagnating in the end. Whenever the top alliance starts messing around and having fun instead of building a hegemony, they get a beatdown, and an even stronger hegemony takes its place. We saw that with IDIOT, then MI, and now MHA. Each one started out as the hegemon, with many powerful allies. Then they each in turn got bored, started screwing around, and got curbstomped. The only way we'll get out of this hegemony is to shorten the round, with a clean slate each round.

-Bama

I like these longer rounds, gives the really good nations the opportunity to hide away for 2 months, build up a solid nation and arm them to the teeth for a gritty and drawn out battle in the last couple weeks.

If the rounds were shortened, Admin would have to overhaul the prices, requirements and overall atmosphere of CN:TE

Why not hold a 24 hr tournament one weekend

Resets every 15 or 30 mins. largest nation at the end wins

The rapid action will make for a more arcade/tournament style experience that some are looking for and it would be a real event for the CN world as well as a test of skill for the players

Advertise it and get sign ups in the weeks leading up so that everything is ready to go and allow

It stagnates because politics are being pulled into a game that doesn't need it. I'll happily raid for 3 solid months, but I can't because I will run out of non-treatied targets.

I'd like to raise a question which I think is relevant to pinpoint precisely what we're talking about...

What is the aim of the 'tournament'? Is it for each single nation to try to win or is it to see which AA can become the strongest?

If it's the former, I don't see what's wrong with three months, rather I think the alliances and treaties are the problem as I mentioned earlier.

If it's the latter, I don't know why we're bothering because that's what we're doing in standard. Furthermore, anyone who honors a treaty is not going to be the top nation at the end, so the idea is redundant and the winner will likely be the nation who avoids call of duty.

Seems to me like there are two different drivers going on and they make people increasingly uncomfortable as time goes on. I think we are the ones spoiling TE.

It stagnates because politics are being pulled into a game that doesn't need it. I'll happily raid for 3 solid months, but I can't because I will run out of non-treatied targets.

I'd like to raise a question which I think is relevant to pinpoint precisely what we're talking about...

What is the aim of the 'tournament'? Is it for each single nation to try to win or is it to see which AA can become the strongest?

If it's the former, I don't see what's wrong with three months, rather I think the alliances and treaties are the problem as I mentioned earlier.

If it's the latter, I don't know why we're bothering because that's what we're doing in standard. Furthermore, anyone who honors a treaty is not going to be the top nation at the end, so the idea is redundant and the winner will likely be the nation who avoids call of duty.

Seems to me like there are two different drivers going on and they make people increasingly uncomfortable as time goes on. I think we are the ones spoiling TE.

Problem is, we can't stop the treatyfests. They happen with time. Even if Admin takes AAs out of TE, people will still form alliances. It's gotta be shortened so that an ironclad hegemony doesn't have time to form.

I think the aim is for a single nation to try to win, either by raids or by building. I don't have a problem with alliances and treaties, it just gets out of hand.

-Bama

I must agree with this but to have a true tournament atmosphere you would need things to be much cheaper and money to be much easier to obtain and faster. Like collections several times a day. Also you would need to add eliminations. Say your nation hits zero infra, your eliminated. And also locking registration would help. In order to have a true quick tournament you need the following, faster build up and collection, eliminations, and a registration cap. There it is plane and simple. ;)