Navy

Destane

Congrats. You are among the reasons why GGA has basically a zero growth rate.

/me hands SilverHawk a cookie.

I care about this...why? I think my lack of growth comes from having Furs as a natural resource and having to bribe newbs for their trades. Also, I need to restart my tech buying and stop with the spying of nukes from rogues. :rolleyes:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't used my navy yet, but this has raised a couple of thoughts.

If I am blockaded, I may as well collect immediately because tomorrow the 1-5% will presumably increase to 2-10% when I'm blockjaded again tomorrow and so on. Is this a flaw or am I missing something? It's just forcing me to compromise one days collection (to the tune of minus 1 to 5% and for threat level, defcon level, GCs, etc). Not really the end of the world. But if I wait it out it will only get worse right, if I can only cancel the blockade by collecting?

I guess the ideal time to start blockading is when an opponent is in anarchy. As time moves on he may get out of anarchy but I'd have three days of blockades in place by then. Probably still a better collection than the anarchy collection though...

Comments?

I haven't used my navy yet, but this has raised a couple of thoughts.

If I am blockaded, I may as well collect immediately because tomorrow the 1-5% will presumably increase to 2-10% when I'm blockjaded again tomorrow and so on. Is this a flaw or am I missing something? It's just forcing me to compromise one days collection (to the tune of minus 1 to 5% and for threat level, defcon level, GCs, etc). Not really the end of the world. But if I wait it out it will only get worse right, if I can only cancel the blockade by collecting?

I guess the ideal time to start blockading is when an opponent is in anarchy. As time moves on he may get out of anarchy but I'd have three days of blockades in place by then. Probably still a better collection than the anarchy collection though...

Comments?

Basically, Blockades work to punish those who back collect and get caught in war. But it's generally best to collect everyday to reset the Blockade percent or to break the blockade with your own Navy.

To truly understand the concepts of back collecting and getting blockaded requires getting the !@#$ kicked out of you. Clearly, the two of you have not had this happen.

The blockade is not necessarily the problem of collecting during war. It is the nuclear anarchy or normal anarchy. If the war has an end in sight before your nation has to collect (and you have the war chest to back it up) then it probably makes sense to wait until you are out of nuclear anarchy to collect. Even if your nation has blockades placed on it.

It is PROBABLY better to collect with a -10% after 15 days inactive than to be forced to collect just about nothing every time your nation has a blockade placed on it. It is going to depend on the war, the nukes, and your opponents of course.

If the effects of a blockade on a larger nation are that relevant to them they've already lost the war since their warchest is apparently non-existant :)

Also, lol Lord Boris.

we're both smart enough to know a large scale conflict will last longer than 2 weeks, so blockades may not affect you right away, but it'll wear away at your war chest awfully quick in a prolonged conflict.

I care about this...why? I think my lack of growth comes from having Furs as a natural resource and having to bribe newbs for their trades. Also, I need to restart my tech buying and stop with the spying of nukes from rogues. :rolleyes:

Don't give us that line of !@#$%^&*.

Simple. Your current course of action and handling of it is simply making you a laughingstock.

Come now...there are more than one way to play the game...

I don't improvment swap, back collect or save for jumps, yet I have far exceeded you in effeciency...does this mean you are a laughingstock in my eyes? ;)

Edit: Now for navies...I use them for the extra airplanes...but at your size, you don't need the expense.

Edited by ecoli73

we're both smart enough to know a large scale conflict will last longer than 2 weeks, so blockades may not affect you right away, but it'll wear away at your war chest awfully quick in a prolonged conflict.

I forget not everyone assumes the conflict will be nuclear after twenty five hours :D At which point another -30% is trivial ;)

I also find this "no u" fest rather entertaining :popcorn:

Come now...there are more than one way to play the game...

I don't improvment swap, back collect or save for jumps, yet I have far exceeded you in effeciency...does this mean you are a laughingstock in my eyes? ;)

Oh course there is more than one way to play any given game, usually divided between smart and stupid ways. I find it surprising you you care enough to notice your relative efficiency, yet not enough to spend thirty seconds a day improving it. :rolleyes:

The ideal time to start blockading is immediately after you are able to do so. Not every opponent you face will be adequately prepared with a sizable warchest, and war is expensive, every less penny they have is one less for them to throw at you.

So, please let me see if I have the battle support aspect down, since no-one answered me on page 1.

Apart from:

- Landing ships giving 1% ground battle damage per ship up to 20 ships

- Destroyers giving 2% cruise missile damage per ship up to 10 ships

- Submarines giving 2% nuclear missile damage per ship up to 10 ships

- Carriers allow you to deploy 5 extra aircraft per ship up to 5 ships

The rest of the navy are only useful in either Naval attacks or Blockades?

So for example the only thing a Corvette can do is attack other naval ships?

Also, in order to attain the above effects from Landing ships, Destroyers, Submarines & Carriers, you must put your fleet into battle support mode and use up one navy action slot, and a Blockade breaking ship prevents this battle support mode.

So, please let me see if I have the battle support aspect down, since no-one answered me on page 1.

Apart from:

- Landing ships giving 1% ground battle damage per ship up to 20 ships

- Destroyers giving 2% cruise missile damage per ship up to 10 ships

- Submarines giving 2% nuclear missile damage per ship up to 10 ships

- Carriers allow you to deploy 5 extra aircraft per ship up to 5 ships

The rest of the navy are only useful in either Naval attacks or Blockades?

So for example the only thing a Corvette can do is attack other naval ships?

Also, in order to attain the above effects from Landing ships, Destroyers, Submarines & Carriers, you must put your fleet into battle support mode and use up one navy action slot, and a Blockade breaking ship prevents this battle support mode.

correct, but having the most navy at the start is the easiest way to win it long term.

I have learned ALOT about how a navy works now. I wish to toss out a big thank you to those who have provided constructive thoughts towards this thread. Please continue with this thought line as someone my have a thought or math rundown that hasn't been looked at before. Thank you again guys.

Oh course there is more than one way to play any given game, usually divided between smart and stupid ways. I find it surprising you you care enough to notice your relative efficiency, yet not enough to spend thirty seconds a day improving it. :rolleyes:

-> Surely you understand the difference between noticing and caring about it. Any how, I am sure the way i play my game is stupid in the eyes of the mighty Gremlins, but yet somehow I survive... to the disappointment of the smart players here I am sure. Of course I only mentioned all of this in the first place because a supposed "smart" player is shown to be not too great himself ;)

The ideal time to start blockading is immediately after you are able to do so. Not every opponent you face will be adequately prepared with a sizable warchest, and war is expensive, every less penny they have is one less for them to throw at you.

-> even better if you fight someone who don't have a navy to begin with. Building a navy in a war is even a bigger strain on the war chest...and time consuming.

-> even better if you fight someone who don't have a navy to begin with. Building a navy in a war is even a bigger strain on the war chest...and time consuming.

lose money now out of your warchest and continue to collect a normal sized back collection, or save money on bills and lose up to 5% per day of the total time you dont collect, either way you'll lose money, just a matter of which way you'd like to lose it.

lose money now out of your warchest and continue to collect a normal sized back collection, or save money on bills and lose up to 5% per day of the total time you dont collect, either way you'll lose money, just a matter of which way you'd like to lose it.

Keeping a large navy in peace time is a defensive measure...one can buy navy in a ramp to war(in about 9-10 days for a nation my size) but getting jumped with no navy sort of sucks.

If a navy can be had in one day, then I would not carry a navy. Unfortunately, you can only buy 8 ships a day so if your attacker has a sizable navy, and say equal war chest, you are not going to buy enough navy to win on that front.(buy 8 ships and get killed right away etc)

As for upkeep, it is about 1.2 mil a day; you can reduce that by doing trades but those trades will lose money on other factors so the carrying cost is about 1.2 mil for 70+ ships.

All that said, winning a war in this game is not an individual event, so no matter how well you prepare, this is only on paper; and in reality have very little effect on the out come of the war unless it is a strictly one on one war(and how many times have you seen that in a major war?)

There are things that can be done with navies that make them worth every penny spent on them.

They take a while to build up, but if you have enough ships so that you'll have a full fleet just after the 72-hour treaty cancellation period expires, you'll be fine.

Basically, no need to buy a full navy until TOP pulls out of tC... or IRON leaves 1V... or NPO reveals it's actually being led by mpol... or Vox Populi merges with MCXA to form MOCX... or some other highly unlikely scenario that will be an indicator that the war everyone says is never going to happen is going to happen in the next few days.

There are things that can be done with navies that make them worth every penny spent on them.

They take a while to build up, but if you have enough ships so that you'll have a full fleet just after the 72-hour treaty cancellation period expires, you'll be fine.

Basically, no need to buy a full navy until TOP pulls out of tC... or IRON leaves 1V... or NPO reveals it's actually being led by mpol... or Vox Populi merges with MCXA to form MOCX... or some other highly unlikely scenario that will be an indicator that the war everyone says is never going to happen is going to happen in the next few days.

72 hours translate to 24 ships...