The Real Legion Story of GW3

Lord Swampy

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a member of an alliance which did enter GW3 'because the NPO and Initiative were evil and mean and bad and we would take the opportunity to throw off the yoke of WUT Oppression or whatever', this thread is interesting.

Taking information to the other side is never the right answer for an alliance which claims to be neutral, though.

You say this a lot nicer than I would have. I lost an alliance I helped found to this war, rolling into the conflict with Old Guard and Gramlins at Ronin's side was one of the coolest feelings I have had to date in this game. That was a fun night.....most everything that followed wasn't.

Also Swampy....I wonder what things VL lied to me about as leader of the NAAC.........I do know that after I returned from my hiatus that VL sent me a PM apologizing for not helping in GW2.

I really opposed releasing terms at all. We all knew that you had decided to disband, as you had told us. I still wish we hadn't. But yeah, they were just kind of a joke I guess. Honestly, disbandment was the best option for you, although I still wish you'd stayed. I always found the NAAC to be a fun opponent, and most importantly opponents that knew this was a game.

In regards to the OP, another nicely written chapter. I kind of wish I could do one for my own experiences sometime, but I think I have just forgotten too much already.

The NAAC/Polar cold war was actually a lot of fun. We hated each other....but at the same time our sphere was the most stable in the game and both alliances really, at least in my opinion, took great lengths to make sure we didn't destabilize our sphere.

A wonderful read; please do more, this brings back a lot of memories.

@AirMe; I miss the days when the NADC/NpO/NAAC all shared the Blue Senate. There was lots of dialogue in those days; Polaris was always a lot more friendly to the NADC than NAAC was. (I was in NADC foreign affairs at the time.)

Edited by ModusOperandi

A wonderful read; please do more, this brings back a lot of memories.

@AirMe; I miss the days when the NADC/NpO/NAAC all shared the Blue Senate. There was lots of dialogue in those days; Polaris was always a lot more friendly to the NADC than NAAC was. (I was in NADC foreign affairs at the time.)

I don't think that the NAAC was unfriendly, it was more just that we ignored you completely:P

You say this a lot nicer than I would have. I lost an alliance I helped found to this war, rolling into the conflict with Old Guard and Gramlins at Ronin's side was one of the coolest feelings I have had to date in this game. That was a fun night.....most everything that followed wasn't.

Also Swampy....I wonder what things VL lied to me about as leader of the NAAC.........I do know that after I returned from my hiatus that VL sent me a PM apologizing for not helping in GW2.

I have no way of knowing that, AirMe. You could post or PM me some specific questions and I'll see if I have any insight on them from back then.

For a lack of a better term...when we tried to talk to NADC they were very dickish to us.

We had a superiority complex; from EmperorCharles on down there was this idea that GUARD was going to rise to the top after Aegis/the League fought the Initiative; there was a belief that neutrality would propel the NADC to the top like the GPA. I was in IRC a day before the NAAC disbanded though and remember being asked if we would help out; I was only a press secretary at the time and could only reiterate Charles' position of noninterference; I pleaded with him though because I was very anti-GOONs. He didn't listen though and the rest is history. Even if GUARD had intervened, I'm sure we would have been rolled though; there was little to no communication with our allies because of an errant concept that the NADC had to keep its advantages to itself. To be blunt, we were very, very snobbish and had a disproportionate sense of our self-importance.

As a member of an alliance which did enter GW3 'because the NPO and Initiative were evil and mean and bad and we would take the opportunity to throw off the yoke of WUT Oppression or whatever', this thread is interesting.

Taking information to the other side is never the right answer for an alliance which claims to be neutral, though.

Two Things:

1. I haven't had to say this in a long time but... Neutral =/= independent!

2. We didn't even say we would be neutral, we said the war did not warrant our military interference.

We had a superiority complex; from EmperorCharles on down there was this idea that GUARD was going to rise to the top after Aegis/the League fought the Initiative; there was a belief that neutrality would propel the NADC to the top like the GPA. I was in IRC a day before the NAAC disbanded though and remember being asked if we would help out; I was only a press secretary at the time and could only reiterate Charles' position of noninterference; I pleaded with him though because I was very anti-GOONs. He didn't listen though and the rest is history. Even if GUARD had intervened, I'm sure we would have been rolled though; there was little to no communication with our allies because of an errant concept that the NADC had to keep its advantages to itself. To be blunt, we were very, very snobbish and had a disproportionate sense of our self-importance.

I'd have to agree there. The only time there was any semblance of a balanced GUARD was when ONOS was there to counter EmperorCharles inflated self-worth. After they were taken out, GUARD just sort of stumbled along for far too long. I was MoD in CSN at the time, and I can say for sure that we would of been steamrolled, we wern't ready at the time. And wouldn't of been soon enough to have helped, I can only assume much the same for the rest of GUARD.

At any rate, interesting read Swampy.

NAAC stayed in GWIII for GATO I believe. Gato bailed and I lost all respect for GATO. Amazingly enough the past few months I'm not sure which GATO I respected the least. The current one or the one that bailed on its allies. Everything that has happened to GATO has been bad karma. In my opinion of course. And if memory serves me correctly.

Hehe. I'm pretty sure I remember you having a fairly good time in the war. ;)

Well that would be a relative use of the word good. I like to fight and GWIII game me my fill of fighting. But I also like to win and not be humiliated. Losing that war was very hard on me because of what it did to the Legion. Not in the loss of infrastructure but to it's reputation and how the victor's lust for vengeance wasn't satiated. The Legion was unfairly doomed to be a victim alliance from then until 2008.

But I did get to meet some guys from TOP and saw their character. Because of them I found a good home for me after my time in the Legion.

edit: Reading this makes me want to read Ref's memoirs. Does anyone know how to contact him?

Edited by Simon De Montfort

Interesting. Mistakenly received orders. I remember quite well that certain CIS government member leaked screenshot from high WUT government subforum. In the screenshot, mpol? or someone else IIRC from FAN was laying out potential scenario for the war. And there he said that TOP/FAN should cover Legion.

I always thought this was how you found out, not via "mistakenly sent PM". It was posted on OWF after all. I also believe that this decision contributed to Legion's fall, as instead of FAN/TOP hitting vast numbers of ghosts and inactives in Legion, we had clear active targets which we could swarm and dismantle one by one.

the really funny thing is, after that screenshot got out to the public (which from the way i viewed it was a best bet scenario for WUT) is the exact way that aegis planned the war

Well that would be a relative use of the word good. I like to fight and GWIII game me my fill of fighting. But I also like to win and not be humiliated. Losing that war was very hard on me because of what it did to the Legion. Not in the loss of infrastructure but to it's reputation and how the victor's lust for vengeance wasn't satiated. The Legion was unfairly doomed to be a victim alliance from then until 2008.

But I did get to meet some guys from TOP and saw their character. Because of them I found a good home for me after my time in the Legion.

edit: Reading this makes me want to read Ref's memoirs. Does anyone know how to contact him?

I meant a fairly good time as in you did pretty well militarily, and enjoyed that. I was not implying you had a generally terrific time struggling as the Legion burned to ashes around you. In fact, I'm pretty sure that part was the opposite of terrific for just about all of us.

the really funny thing is, after that screenshot got out to the public (which from the way i viewed it was a best bet scenario for WUT) is the exact way that aegis planned the war

Yeah that whole episode was (in retrospect) hilariously incompetently handled by Aegis command.

Talking of Aegis central command, I don't think the Grämlins military staff ever managed to find it <_<.

ahh memories.. i remember the build up to that war, Gato was excited, people were looking for blood. i knew this war was not going to be a good one after experiencing the $%&@ in GWII. sucks the my internet crapped out for the start of that war... and yeah, as a gato member at the time, i was very angry at the fact we pulled out with out talking to our allies first. thats something that would always irks me of my entire cn career, is letting our allies down who did so much for Gato at the time .. Gato always had a history of rocky leadership... but honestly they were the only ones that made sense to elect at the time.. but majority of the GA there were good people. but man i must say, Cn back that was great entertainment.