CNRP OOC Thread

Stormcrow

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been lurking on and off for a long while, more in the past than now, and I'm kind of interested/debating in joining in the fun. Does anyone have a history of the CNRP world linked somewhere so I can catch up on any established fluff/lore? Or is there none except the whole "death of Old Earth/beginning of Planet Bob" scenario?

I think history deviates around 2005, but the history of nations in the RP is too long and undocumented, so it's sadly a mess. I can't even try to make a complete history for you, because while I've been around for over three years, a large part of history was before my time. On the other hand, one can make do with that.

I've been lurking on and off for a long while, more in the past than now, and I'm kind of interested/debating in joining in the fun. Does anyone have a history of the CNRP world linked somewhere so I can catch up on any established fluff/lore? Or is there none except the whole "death of Old Earth/beginning of Planet Bob" scenario?

First, there was darkness.

Then, there was me.

Then, eva changes her avi.

I dunno what happens in the middle, but its probably all unimportant stuff :P

I think history deviates around 2005, but the history of nations in the RP is too long and undocumented, so it's sadly a mess. I can't even try to make a complete history for you, because while I've been around for over three years, a large part of history was before my time. On the other hand, one can make do with that.

Whatever history you have, I'd be more than grateful in reading. I'm coming from a background of tabletop and online RPG, so picking through fluff helps with getting myself settled.

First, there was darkness.

Then, there was me.

I dunno what happens in the middle, but its probably all unimportant stuff :P

Right, throw in a heaping dash of mythic history. I can dig it.

Urrrgh, don' wanna. Which is the main reason we actually have no recorded history, because it takes effort to record years of action and it's unpaid and unthankful and whatnot. You know, I already am a GM and even when I wasn't GM, I'm the one to make every election and annual CNRP awards. You think anyone thanks you for that? Or that anyone would take them even serious? But they wouldn't get done otherwise, so one has to have the sense of duty to do it, even if it doesn't earn you anything.

So, given I don't want to have a bad conscience for not teaching you a thing about our history, I'll go make dinner and if you want I can tell you afterward about the history I know and care about. That is, if you have a minute or thirty to read about our Lady and Saviour Kankou-sama.

Urrrgh, don' wanna. Which is the main reason we actually have no recorded history, because it takes effort to record years of action and it's unpaid and unthankful and whatnot. You know, I already am a GM and even when I wasn't GM, I'm the one to make every election and annual CNRP awards. You think anyone thanks you for that? Or that anyone would take them even serious? But they wouldn't get done otherwise, so one has to have the sense of duty to do it, even if it doesn't earn you anything.

So, given I don't want to have a bad conscience for not teaching you a thing about our history, I'll go make dinner and if you want I can tell you afterward about the history I know and care about. That is, if you have a minute or thirty to read about our Lady and Saviour Kankou-sama.

Whatever's easier for you. If the game isn't as strict on lore or backstory, any fudged details can be attributed to misattributed folk-tales, and what I THINK is the weird passage of time between nations.

You can be all responsible and shit and listen to this, and some lecture about some asian chick with an penchant for law and order and BDSM fetish.  Yadayadayada.

OR 

You can be awesome like me, and make history by improvising and blowing stuff up.

You can be all responsible and !@#$ and listen to this, and some lecture about some asian chick with an penchant for law and order and BDSM fetish.  Yadayadayada.

OR 

You can be awesome like me, and make history by improvising and blowing stuff up.

While I've been waiting on answers to my questions, I already have an ethnic group and their religion in the works. Does that count?

Well, CNRP history is pretty much a jumbled mess. You'd have to dig through this sub-forum, and fit together (oft-incomplete) individual histories of several (but not all) nations, to even get anything approximating a "general history". With that said, I did some research (yay History major), and found some links that might you might like:

Keep in mind, these links are pretty old, dating back to 2009-10. The last two links are the closest to a "general history" of CNRP, from around 2006 to 2010.
Edited by JEDCJT

Why is Asia the exception?

First lesson: Do not ask Mogar anything where the answer is related to Triyun and do not engage in conversation with him on a topic related to Triyun. It saves us all a lot of time, nerves and brain cells if we keep the ranting limited. Mogar can be ok and at times maybe even jovial. But only as long as you know what to talk about and even more importantly - what not to talk about.

You can be all responsible and !@#$ and listen to this, and some lecture about some asian chick with an penchant for law and order and BDSM fetish.  Yadayadayada.

OR 

What is wrong with law and order? Good laws and governance make communities run well and are the foundation of stability, security and prosperity. Also, Kankou-sama had maybe some faults, but she was a good person.

While I do not know the early history of great Kankou-sama, given I was only around for three years, I can recall that during the time I was able to bear witness to her greatness, Kankou-sama has been fighting hard against oppression and the establishment of hegemony in CNRP, first in New Guinea, then in Sweden, then in New Guinea again, until she at last settled in Quebec, after her multiple struggles. She jumped at every chance she got to struggle and I doubt anyone in CNRP has in the last few years been as consistently involved in nuclear warfare than great Kankou-sama.

Sadly, the greatness of Kankou-sama is not a much shared opinion and during her struggles, there were everytime again the people who thought badly about her and rather sided with the ones opposng her than to join her in her valiant efforts. Thus, in the end, she sadly could not prevail and hegemony was established in CNRP. Still, Kankou-sama was not vindicative and came to terms with the new order, at least with Triyun. Sadly, soon after, she vanished. As RL had always been a busy affair, it now prohibited her from continuing to be here.

Ever since Kankou-sama left, many people complained about the hegemony in our world, but most lack the character and fortitude of Kankou-sama, which is why they cannot succeed, and the hegemony continues. They only whine and lament their pitiful state, ranting about the perceived injustice that is done to them, but they ignore that when the time was there that the hegemony was not yet here, they sold each other out and now that it is here, they just as cowardly flee instead of fighting for what they believe in. They rather go try to seperate RPs, instead of working in a righteous manner. But in the end, CNRP prevails and their struggles are forgotten. Not so Kankou's, for it shall be remembered (by me at least) and maybe one day we will see her greatness return to this RP.

Thus, the history of Kankou is a history that should teach us the importance of personal strength, perseverance, loyalty, kindness and righteousness and may people follow her examples, not those of the misguided who promise ascendance, yet only lead RPers astray.

Of course I could explain in greater detail as to how Kankou-sama acted and what great a person she was, but I think people will just ignore it again, like they always do. Also, I tried to keep it brief so you can try to understand, instead of opting for doing her actual justice, which would require a far far longer post.

I think Kankou was one of the few people in CNRP that really was willing to get things done in the RP, not just rant OOCly (though there are lots of arguments). Everything that came since is the history of the hegemony, which is a saddening chapter of our glorious history, not so much because of Triyun (our hegemon, who may be at times harsh and not perfect, but still far from the worst we had), but because of the moral decay, where people neither work on contributing to the system, nor work on overturning it, but they are just feeling entitled and are petty, while doing nothing to make the RP a better place.

How come I don't get a story like that?

First and foremost... because you are still around and well capable of telling new people about Tianxia's campaigns to bring freedom to every corner of the map, if you wanted to. The rest of your RP is hanging out with Cent or Justi once a year and back in the days writing about romantic adventures between Leopold and some amazons of Sarah. I pass on recounting all of that.

Also, for most of the time I spent here, I had no idea what exactly you were up to and mostly hoping you'd leave me alone in Faraway. It is hard to show you in a better light when all I got to base it on is my reading of events, the perspective of a smaller country trying to judge the likelihood it'll survive for the moment. It's why I hate when people try to argue I'd have no idea what it is like to be on the less fortunate side of CNRP.

Lastly, whatever I say about you, someone somewhere will be upset and will start an argument about it, which I really am not interested in.

Alright, given now is just as good a day to do this as in two days, I wanted to state that I'm going to retire from CNRP, de facto now, de jure at the end of my term as GM, so in four days time. Just in time to finish the polls and all. As soon as there is a new GM court, the mapmaker can take my nation off the map.

It has been an interesting time, with quite a bit of fun at times. To say it was always fun would be a lie, it wasn't and often it felt frustrating or even infuriating. But I kept RPing, because even if there are bad times, I did not feel like just giving up and if I managed to later achieve good times, it just felt like more of an accomplishment. People say RP should be fun, if you don't have fun, don't RP. So maybe such people will tell me that I was dumb to stay when I was more suffering than enjoying this. But I don't regret it and that's what matters to me.

The reason I quit now is not so much what is going on in the RP (it does contribute some), but that over the last few months already, I had a feeling that I don't really have much to RP for and not much that motivates me to improve myself. My latest post up there on Kankou made me once again realise that Kankou is gone and most likely will not return. Which makes me genuinely sad, given there's hardly anyone in CNRP I felt so much respect and admiration for. During my first few years, Kankou was around for me, regardless of what I did and helped me a great deal. She may not have taught me that much on technical matters, but it is in no minor part due to her role model that I tried to persevere and to fundamentally be a nice person to people (even though noone will say I was a particularly social person). If there is one thing I do find regrettable in CNRP, it is that during all the time Kankou was around, I was mostly unable to help her and when I became somewhat capable, she was already gone.

I tried in the last few months to find a way to just act on my own, but honestly, I can't find it. I feel like overall, my time has passed and I am becoming ever more a person that lives in the past and has no present nor a future in the RP. I don't expect people to understand my sentiments, I learned that people seldom do. But if I were to use an analogy of my IC nation, I feel a bit like a rōnin, being left without purpose now that Kankou is gone. Even if I put more effort into Japan, I don't feel like there's much of a point to it.

Also, of course I also miss Shammy, Tanis and even MGL, who were fun people (in decreasing order) and taught me a lot. It is sad to see them gone (also that I never got to have an equal fight with MGL). Naturally I miss Horo, though more as a person than as an RPer and in contrast to all the others, I do actually talk to him occassionally outside the RP.

Next, I thank Triyun for the last year or so and for the things he taught me, be it through his actual advice, through the occassional paper he posted in the channel or merely because for years he created a necessity to learn to defend myself at least to some degree.

Lastly, of those still present I thank PD, for our character RPs in the past, Mr Director, for being a respectable ally and Kevz, just because. Together with some more who already left, it's been you people who maybe didn't teach me anything about fighting or politics, but who engaged in character RP with me (ok, Mr Director is not a person of great stories, but still fun) and added a dimension to the RP that kind of allowed to get through the darker times. Because even if I was occupied or just trying to stay unnoticed in Faraway, characters can turn some misery into fun. And really, character RP has declined, which just adds to my frustration, as apart from diplomacy, all I do is write for myself.

And a word of respect for Melech. I RPed not too much with him, he may have spent a lot of time on the other side and I absolutely hate Pasirung, but he is deserving of some respect for being a friendly individual that has little ambition besides just enjoying his time. While I'd be unable to stand being a useless vassal, he still has some admirable qualities.

Really now, as a last thing, there has been some RL motivation for this, as I'm feeling an increased need to focus on other things, but I think I can't claim I'd never have found the time (mostly because I use my free time here instead of playing video games). So, most likely I'll still be on IRC, though you with as talkative and sociable an attitude as ever.

Xy6w4G9.jpg

Whatever history you have, I'd be more than grateful in reading. I'm coming from a background of tabletop and online RPG, so picking through fluff helps with getting myself settled.

Biggest single event in CNRP was probably when Yoitsu rolled Melech and Domingo after they attacked him. God that guy was good.

Well Eva, van't say I haven't felt the same way as you some times, though. I sometimes have to look back at old threads to get a character name or something, and it really is sad seeing all the fun people who are gone now. It's a bummer seeing you go, since you do contribute a very good chunk of the posts for CNRP, and were one of the few people who really interacted with the large group of people who came/returned to CNRP a few months ago. At least you'll sticking around IRC, and you know that there's always a place for you here if you decide to stop back in.

Biggest single event in CNRP was probably when Yoitsu rolled Melech and Domingo after they attacked him. God that guy was good.

Not to mention devilishly handsome.

Alright, given now is just as good a day to do this as in two days, I wanted to state that I'm going to retire from CNRP, de facto now, de jure at the end of my term as GM, so in four days time. Just in time to finish the polls and all. As soon as there is a new GM court, the mapmaker can take my nation off the map.

It has been an interesting time, with quite a bit of fun at times. To say it was always fun would be a lie, it wasn't and often it felt frustrating or even infuriating. But I kept RPing, because even if there are bad times, I did not feel like just giving up and if I managed to later achieve good times, it just felt like more of an accomplishment. People say RP should be fun, if you don't have fun, don't RP. So maybe such people will tell me that I was dumb to stay when I was more suffering than enjoying this. But I don't regret it and that's what matters to me.

The reason I quit now is not so much what is going on in the RP (it does contribute some), but that over the last few months already, I had a feeling that I don't really have much to RP for and not much that motivates me to improve myself. My latest post up there on Kankou made me once again realise that Kankou is gone and most likely will not return. Which makes me genuinely sad, given there's hardly anyone in CNRP I felt so much respect and admiration for. During my first few years, Kankou was around for me, regardless of what I did and helped me a great deal. She may not have taught me that much on technical matters, but it is in no minor part due to her role model that I tried to persevere and to fundamentally be a nice person to people (even though noone will say I was a particularly social person). If there is one thing I do find regrettable in CNRP, it is that during all the time Kankou was around, I was mostly unable to help her and when I became somewhat capable, she was already gone.

I tried in the last few months to find a way to just act on my own, but honestly, I can't find it. I feel like overall, my time has passed and I am becoming ever more a person that lives in the past and has no present nor a future in the RP. I don't expect people to understand my sentiments, I learned that people seldom do. But if I were to use an analogy of my IC nation, I feel a bit like a rōnin, being left without purpose now that Kankou is gone. Even if I put more effort into Japan, I don't feel like there's much of a point to it.

Also, of course I also miss Shammy, Tanis and even MGL, who were fun people (in decreasing order) and taught me a lot. It is sad to see them gone (also that I never got to have an equal fight with MGL). Naturally I miss Horo, though more as a person than as an RPer and in contrast to all the others, I do actually talk to him occassionally outside the RP.

Next, I thank Triyun for the last year or so and for the things he taught me, be it through his actual advice, through the occassional paper he posted in the channel or merely because for years he created a necessity to learn to defend myself at least to some degree.

Lastly, of those still present I thank PD, for our character RPs in the past, Mr Director, for being a respectable ally and Kevz, just because. Together with some more who already left, it's been you people who maybe didn't teach me anything about fighting or politics, but who engaged in character RP with me (ok, Mr Director is not a person of great stories, but still fun) and added a dimension to the RP that kind of allowed to get through the darker times. Because even if I was occupied or just trying to stay unnoticed in Faraway, characters can turn some misery into fun. And really, character RP has declined, which just adds to my frustration, as apart from diplomacy, all I do is write for myself.

And a word of respect for Melech. I RPed not too much with him, he may have spent a lot of time on the other side and I absolutely hate Pasirung, but he is deserving of some respect for being a friendly individual that has little ambition besides just enjoying his time. While I'd be unable to stand being a useless vassal, he still has some admirable qualities.

Really now, as a last thing, there has been some RL motivation for this, as I'm feeling an increased need to focus on other things, but I think I can't claim I'd never have found the time (mostly because I use my free time here instead of playing video games). So, most likely I'll still be on IRC, though you with as talkative and sociable an attitude as ever.

giphy.gif

We'll miss you, I respected someone who could take a few punches (and throw some back) without taking it personally and did the bitch work of making sure the trains run ontime.  I now designate Melech as responsible for this.

I'll miss needling this Japan, it came the closest I've seen anyone come since Cochin to creating a serious pole, which is strong, independent, and opinionated.  I will say regardless of what you may think, imo you surpassed Kankou.  Maybe she had a bit more vision and military power, but you're creation of partnerships with America and possibly Arabia was impressive.  Something she never did.  I even had to get involved to save poor Russia.