DUNES

Subtleknifewielder

"Perfectly understandable," replied another spokesperson, this one an strong Christian advocate. "Believe me when this matter was investigated completely on an impartial basis, taking into account what Ned accused us of. There will be no cause to have anyone point fingers at us and say 'persecutors.'"

The Reverend Jerry Robertson, Ned's primary opponent for the Presidency of Nedland, has also commented on this issue:

"This is a primary example of the evils of evolution. It nearly drove that poor girl into suicide, thanks to the evil public schools forcing it upon her. I say that they execute all of the atheists. After all, tolerating them only allows horrible things like this to happen. Atheists are all just evil bigots who wish to persecute those who do not agree with their close-minded world view! I call for the Promised Land Police Forces to execute the evil atheist teacher who made the poor girl attempt suicide, and then completely remove evilution from the schools and replace it with creationism once and for all!" - Rev. Jerry Robertson, Family Values Party candidate for President of Nedland.

OOC: Kind of funny how they're debating while they are thousands of miles apart :P . Also, Ned's statements below are assuming that Earth's history happened on Planet Bob to an extent.

IC: President Ned has again replied:

"Religious Extremism was used to justify the Spanish Inquisition's persecutions and the witch hunts of the Renaissance. In additon, it was also justified the Nazi regime in Germany's persecution of Jews, Homosexuals, Atheists, and many others who were considered to be "lesser races' because of their beliefs (although race was a slightly bigger issue to the Nazis than religion). Religion was also used to justify the persecution of Communists in the USA in the 1950's, and then was used as an excuse to invade my own country of Nedland, so as to save the people from the "atheist oppression" of my great-grandfather, Ned I. In my opinion, these groups wouldn't have done the things they did without the influence of religion. Indeed, even the Bible itself states (in PSALMS 14:1), "The fool has said in his heart, "There is no god." They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good." If that isn't discriminatory, I don't know what is. In addition, Leviticus 20:13 states, "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death." That is intolerant of homosexuals. Finally, 1 Peter 2:18 contains a passage that promotes slavery, "Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh.""

President Ned then called up PotHoler54, an atheist activist and native of Australia, to provide evidence for evolution. Potholer then spoke on:

Human Evolution

President Ned and PotHoler54 wish to mantain that they mean no offense to anyone by this. We are simply wishing to portray our motives and reasons for opposing religious influence. They also wish to maintain good relations with Promised Land. After all, Promised Land did help them stop anti-Ned rebels on more than one occasion.

OOC: Like Ned and PotHoler54, I do not mean to offend you or anyone else by this.

If you wish to take up a debate, feel free to set up a time and place for it. As it says in Ecclesiastes 3 verse 1, "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven..."

However, this is NOT the time or place for such a thing.

The Reverend Jerry Robertson, Ned's primary opponent for the Presidency of Nedland, has also commented on this issue:

"This is a primary example of the evils of evolution. It nearly drove that poor girl into suicide, thanks to the evil public schools forcing it upon her. I say that they execute all of the atheists. After all, tolerating them only allows horrible things like this to happen. Atheists are all just evil bigots who wish to persecute those who do not agree with their close-minded world view! I call for the Promised Land Police Forces to execute the evil atheist teacher who made the poor girl attempt suicide, and then completely remove evilution from the schools and replace it with creationism once and for all!" - Rev. Jerry Robertson, Family Values Party candidate for President of Nedland.

Absolutely not. You, sir, our a disgrace to the religion of Christianity. What happened to "do unto others as you would have them do to you?"

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

However, this is NOT the time or place for such a thing.

Absolutely not. You, sir, our a disgrace to the religion of Christianity. What happened to "do unto others as you would have them do to you?"

OOC: Nice :D .

IC: The Bartowski Administration agrees that it is not the time for a debate now. President Ned has agreed to leave the debating to scientists and get back to politics. However, President Ned continues to oppose the New Jerusalem Police Force's decision to prosecute the teacher.

OOC: Nice :D .

IC: The Bartowski Administration agrees that it is not the time for a debate now. President Ned has agreed to leave the debating to scientists and get back to politics. However, President Ned continues to oppose the New Jerusalem Police Force's decision to prosecute the teacher.

***Addressed to President Ned***

Does this mean, then, that you support public humiliation?

President Ned, you should take note--if you commit the same actions as the enemy, you become the enemy. What makes you any better than those who persecuted you?

This issue is, and never has been, about the ongoing debate between atheists and creationists. This is about proper conduct in a public official.

***Addressed to President Ned***

Does this mean, then, that you support public humiliation?

President Ned, you should take note--if you commit the same actions as the enemy, you become the enemy. What makes you any better than those who persecuted you?

This issue is, and never has been, about the ongoing debate between atheists and creationists. This is about proper conduct in a public official.

"I guess that the New Jerusalem Police Force is right in this matter. I just hope that Robertson and other Religious Fundamentalists don't use this as a chance to lump atheists together," President Ned responded.

"I guess that the New Jerusalem Police Force is right in this matter. I just hope that Robertson and other Religious Fundamentalists don't use this as a chance to lump atheists together," President Ned responded.

"Rest assured he won't get the chance. As we stated before, the investigation was fully impartial, being conducted by two officers--one atheist, the other Christian, to keep any potential bias in check."

"Rest assured he won't get the chance. As we stated before, the investigation was fully impartial, being conducted by two officers--one atheist, the other Christian, to keep any potential bias in check."

"Err, I didn't hear that part!" Ned replied, "I now fully support the New Jerusalem Police Department's prosecution decision."

Nominational Ball in Nedland Goes Awry

Several days ago, we received word of another unsuccessful coup attempt in Nedland, during the Nominational ball which President wallace was attending. It was instigated by an unnamed cabinet official of Nedland, and supported by appproximately 75 mercenaries. During the ensuing fight, Major Carter played a key role in defeating the mercenaries, and for his actions, awarded yet another medal from Nedland for his actions.

"If this keeps up, I'll be more highly decorated by foreign governments than my own," he joked to reporters when they interviewed him.

Also President Wallace was critically injured in the attack, and rushed to a Neddite hospital, where quick action managed to keep him alive.

However, though improving, his condition still remains critical. We ask those of you who worship any sort of deity to offer your prayers for a safe and speedy recovery.

Until such a time, however, Vice-President Jackson is now Acting-President.

High Minister Gaunter sends his deepest sympathies. Our Second Minister, Joshua Williams, is also being treated for wounds sustained during the fighting. Upon his return he will be presented with the Gallantry Medal, one of the highest honours a civilian can recieve.

High Minister Gaunter sends his deepest sympathies. Our Second Minister, Joshua Williams, is also being treated for wounds sustained during the fighting. Upon his return he will be presented with the Gallantry Medal, one of the highest honours a civilian can recieve.

We thank Gaunter for his sympathies, and send our own for the injuries sustained by your Second Minister.

Nominational Ball in Nedland Goes Awry

Several days ago, we received word of another unsuccessful coup attempt in Nedland, during the Nominational ball which President wallace was attending. It was instigated by an unnamed cabinet official of Nedland, and supported by appproximately 75 mercenaries. During the ensuing fight, Major Carter played a key role in defeating the mercenaries, and for his actions, awarded yet another medal from Nedland for his actions.

"If this keeps up, I'll be more highly decorated by foreign governments than my own," he joked to reporters when they interviewed him.

Also President Wallace was critically injured in the attack, and rushed to a Neddite hospital, where quick action managed to keep him alive.

However, though improving, his condition still remains critical. We ask those of you who worship any sort of deity to offer your prayers for a safe and speedy recovery.

Until such a time, however, Vice-President Jackson is now Acting-President.

OOC: That's :awesome: !

IC: President Ned of Nedland wishes President Wallace a swift recovery.

OOC: Hee hee, threw him for a loop, I did! :P

OOC: Yes, you did ;) .

OOC: That's :awesome: !

IC: President Ned of Nedland wishes President Wallace a swift recovery.

Acting-President Jackson thanks President Ned for his well-wishes, as Wallace is currently unable to answer for himself.

OOC: Thanks...any particular part you liked? :D

Acting-President Jackson thanks President Ned for his well-wishes, as Wallace is currently unable to answer for himself.

OOC: Thanks...any particular part you liked? :D

OOC: This part (of course) :awesome: :

• 4 weeks later...

OOC: Since this is a news thread, this should not be considered a grave-dig.

IC:

Pope Bubba XIII Recognized as Head of Catholic Church

After a number of world nations recognition of Pope Bubba XIII of Rebel Virginia as the legitimate head of the world's Catholic Church, the small Catholic minority of Promised Land began petitioning that our government do the same. Despite opposition to their lobby from several influencial Protestans denominations, they continued in their efforts.

"We are not asking that he be recognized as the ultimate authority over all Christians everywhere--that is the Holy Trinity's prerogative. However, we are asking that he beconsidered our representative here on Earth."

Also, surprisingly, several other protestant churches were indifferent to the matter. "Meh, if they want to have him as their overall leader, it's their right. As long as they remember they're citizens of Promised Land first, World Catholics second."

After a substantial debate in the legislature, it was agreed that the 5% minority of Catholics were not out of line in making this request, and upon further consideration, it was granted.

Promised Land has officially recognized Pope Bubba XIII as the official head of the Catholic Church.