Charts

I'm working on some additions to allow the game to track these types of histories. I think month intervals is too much though and I'm instead thinking about daily intervals. I think a chart showing the past 1 month would be a nice addition.

Ok, I've added line history charts for nations and alliances. I've turned the charts off until there is at least 7 days of history available. Since I started collecting this data today it will be 7 days from today before you see these line charts in-game but I've entered sample data for the CN Staff alliance as a preview:

http://tournament.cybernations.net/stats_a...ance=CN%20Staff

I'm using CN:TE as a testbed for the charts. If everything works ok with them then I will be rolling these out to CN standard soon.

Ok, I've added line history charts for nations and alliances. I've turned the charts off until there is at least 7 days of history available. Since I started collecting this data today it will be 7 days from today before you see these line charts in-game but I've entered sample data for the CN Staff alliance as a preview:

I'm using CN:TE as a testbed for the charts. If everything works ok with them then I will be rolling these out to CN standard soon.

Does it have to be score? Total NS or membership count would be so much better,

The charts look nice, but I wonder if we can't get percentage data on the government and religion charts, as well. I don't know the program, but if it's possible to have it so when you move the cursor over a bar, it says, "Anarchy, Governments, 939 (32.98%)," I think it would be well worth it. It's nice to have that data at a glance rather than have to calculate it every time. ;)

These charts are great! And I love how the most common government by far is Anarchy!

Is it possible to show some type of distribution of nation strengths? I'm thinking a graph that shows NS on the x-axis vs. nation rank percentage on the y-axis. It could be a quick way to see just how much more NS you would need to reach whatever goal you have. Maybe even specifically mark the requisite percentage for nuclear strength on there too (if there even is a requirement in TE)

so is this feature going to be added to cn standard? because if not it needs to be. it's awesome

Exactly I noticed the charts and my first thought was: "I wish they had this on CN Standard" I would love you forever if you added this to standard addition. FOREVER!!

EDIT: Spell check and FOREVER! (In a completely non-stalker way of course)

Edited by wilhelm the demented

Please explain why.

Score is so relatively stagnant.

Given the equation, growth (or atrophy) changes for score are for the most part very subtle.

I think that players wouldn't be very avid to find out their score increased by +.1 since the last time they checked.

Average/Total NS, or alliance count is more noticeable and appreciable. [/mho]

Then again, this argument is only based on my opinion so I can't argue very far with that.

Score is so relatively stagnant.

Given the equation, growth (or atrophy) changes for score are for the most part very subtle.

I think that players wouldn't be very avid to find out their score increased by +.1 since the last time they checked.

Average/Total NS, or alliance count is more noticeable and appreciable. [/mho]

Then again, this argument is only based on my opinion so I can't argue very far with that.

The nice thing about the charts is that they scale to the numbers so if an alliance is only seeing +-.1 to their score each day throughout the month the chart will scale down for these small numbers and still display an interesting chart. See the sample data that I provided for the CN Staff in CN:TE. Those numbers fluctuate by .25 and less.

I think this is one of those things that people will want to use score, total nations, active nations, strength, nukes, anarchy, etc... and since I'm only using one I'm picking score as it is a combination of all of that.

Another thought. The last bar graph in the alliance statistics lists the top alliances. It might be fun to list the (top alliances - 1) and then in the last bar show your own alliance, much like how the nation charts compare your nation to the other person's nation.

Thus, if you are not in one of the top alliances, you can still see how you stack up.

Another thought. The last bar graph in the alliance statistics lists the top alliances. It might be fun to list the (top alliances - 1) and then in the last bar show your own alliance, much like how the nation charts compare your nation to the other person's nation.

Thus, if you are not in one of the top alliances, you can still see how you stack up.

This is already part of that bar chart.

The CN Staff alliance doesn't stack up very well. :blush:

You're a bit quicker than I am, admin. Nicely done.

Edit, a day later...

Just a note, the charts for nations really slow up my computer. Dunno if anyone else has the same problem. If so, perhaps less pretty charts are in order. If not, I need a new computer.:)

Edited by JoshuaR

I want you to know that these charts are already awesome, so I hope you don't mind a little bit of constructive critisism. One thing that I noticed could be improved is the "30-day alliance strength history" chart. If you look at any medium to large alliance, it pretty much just looks like a straight line across the top. Perhaps you could scale from the smallest number to the biggest number within the time window (vs. the current method of using 0 as the low value). This would show changes much more appreciably.

I want you to know that these charts are already awesome, so I hope you don't mind a little bit of constructive critisism. One thing that I noticed could be improved is the "30-day alliance strength history" chart. If you look at any medium to large alliance, it pretty much just looks like a straight line across the top. Perhaps you could scale from the smallest number to the biggest number within the time window (vs. the current method of using 0 as the low value). This would show changes much more appreciably.

This issue should self correct once the charts have a few more data points. Give it about a week and I think that chart will become more interesting.

You're a bit quicker than I am, admin. Nicely done.

Edit, a day later...

Just a note, the charts for nations really slow up my computer. Dunno if anyone else has the same problem. If so, perhaps less pretty charts are in order. If not, I need a new computer.:)

Maybe an option could be added in the profile or on the alliance stats page, show stats charts (Extended), don't show stats charts (Standard), or maybe a check box so you can select what charts you would like to see.

I'm impressed.

The nice thing about the charts is that they scale to the numbers so if an alliance is only seeing +-.1 to their score each day throughout the month the chart will scale down for these small numbers and still display an interesting chart. See the sample data that I provided for the CN Staff in CN:TE. Those numbers fluctuate by .25 and less.

I think this is one of those things that people will want to use score, total nations, active nations, strength, nukes, anarchy, etc... and since I'm only using one I'm picking score as it is a combination of all of that.

Good point.

Though I want to point out that players don't necessarily put much store into score so regardless of it being noticeable in the graph, it might not be very meaningful.