Tournament Prizes?

admin

Ehhhhh... Donations/bonuses are a nono, defnitely, as it'd hinder the balance of gameplay. CN:S bonuses, as stated before, would make this game a lot more serious than it would be fun. As it stands, the game is already recording those nations that are in the top 100 for each round.* Medals/forum decor/custom flags would be great for the top 3 or 5 nations. It wouldn't be too much, and it'd be motivational, again as said before. A good bit of bragging rights there. Then again, though, what are we going to define as 'winning'? Mind you, I'm well aware that boils down to who has the highest NS. But, in reality, at least half of the people there are only going to be there because of donations, which I already find to be ridiculous, unfair, and just a buzz kill. I know this isn't the place, but donations should be visible publicly in CN:TE. But, what would fit in here, is that donations should be shown on those nations that are recorded in the top 100, perhaps with an asterik as to how much money was donated by that nation. It'd be a good divide between who played well, and who decided to pay $20 for more pixels. Just my humble opinion.

* http://tournament.cybernations.net/tournament_winners.asp

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you do prizes as cool as XBox 360 and stuff then people won't play the game for war because they'll want to get a top 3 spot.

Then again, maybe it would encourage more war? It's hard to tell.

I like bonuses to their regular CN nation if they have one, or maybe store credit if they don't, or a choice?

Giving prizes are a big NO-NO, why? This game is for FUN, not a contest to see who would get the prizes. Besides, the CN Administrator could put the money that might be put into the CN-TE prizes into upgrading CN server or something else more important instead.

This game is for FUN, not a contest

I'm pretty sure it is a contest, essentially. Tournament edition???

tour·na·ment (tŏŏr'nə-mənt, tûr'-) Pronunciation Key

n.

1. A series of contests in which a number of contestants compete and the one that prevails through the final round or that finishes with the best record is declared the winner.

2. A medieval martial sport in which two groups of mounted and armored combatants fought against each other with blunted lances or swords.

I'm pretty sure it is a contest, essentially. Tournament edition???

tour·na·ment (tŏŏr'nə-mənt, tûr'-) Pronunciation Key

n.

1. A series of contests in which a number of contestants compete and the one that prevails through the final round or that finishes with the best record is declared the winner.

2. A medieval martial sport in which two groups of mounted and armored combatants fought against each other with blunted lances or swords.

Fine, you win, but try getting the CN Administrator giving out prizes in CN-TE. :awesome:

• 5 weeks later...

Very simple: Fun is fun, a token prize for all to see =bragging rights.

Top 100 already get their name on the list, goes w/o sayin', Status quo.

Top 3 get a RL suprise gift from the "This crap ain't sellin'" shelf at CN HQ.

Winnar gets an image of a trophy w/ Bunchie on it, bearing their name, stickied onto the CN OWF.

There. :)

I've read over the thread and the opinions on prizes seems to be all over the place. Most of you seem to not want real life prizes or donation bonuses which is surprising but understandable. With that, I'm offering the following for the current tournament round:

1st place in final nation rankings in the tournament round will be allowed to submit a custom flag design of the winner's choice to be uploaded to both CN:TE and CN Standard.

The top 100 thing is ok, but this should carry some weight too.

All Nations Display

Serving 1 to 40 of 2,793 Nations

National Wonders Around the World:

0 Agriculture Development Programs

0 Anti-Air Defense Networks

1 Central Intelligence Agencies

0 Disaster Relief Agencies

0 Fallout Shelter Systems

0 Federal Aid Commissions

0 Foreign Airforce Base

0 Great Monuments

0 Great Temples

0 Great Universities

1 Hidden Nuclear Missile Silos

0 Internet Systems

0 Interstate Systems

0 Manhattan Projects

0 Mining Industry Consortiums

0 Movie Industries

0 National Environment Offices

0 National Research Labs

0 National War Memorials

0 Nuclear Power Plants

1 Pentagons

0 Scientific Development Centers

0 Social Security Systems

0 Space Programs

0 Stock Markets

0 Strategic Defense Initiatives

0 Universal Health Care Programs

0 Weapons Research Complexes

---------------------

3 Total

One nation in a thousand was able to save up for a wonder?

The top 100 thing is ok, but this should carry some weight too.

All Nations Display

Serving 1 to 40 of 2,793 Nations

National Wonders Around the World:

0 Agriculture Development Programs

0 Anti-Air Defense Networks

1 Central Intelligence Agencies

0 Disaster Relief Agencies

0 Fallout Shelter Systems

0 Federal Aid Commissions

0 Foreign Airforce Base

0 Great Monuments

0 Great Temples

0 Great Universities

1 Hidden Nuclear Missile Silos

0 Internet Systems

0 Interstate Systems

0 Manhattan Projects

0 Mining Industry Consortiums

0 Movie Industries

0 National Environment Offices

0 National Research Labs

0 National War Memorials

0 Nuclear Power Plants

1 Pentagons

0 Scientific Development Centers

0 Social Security Systems

0 Space Programs

0 Stock Markets

0 Strategic Defense Initiatives

0 Universal Health Care Programs

0 Weapons Research Complexes

---------------------

3 Total

One nation in a thousand was able to save up for a wonder?

Wonders just aren't worth their price. I'm sure several of the higher nations (especially in money-earned) could have bought one, had they wanted to. None of the economic ones will ever recoup their price, so they may as well not be there. I'm not sure that any of the military ones warrant the price either, as most of them are just outclassed (per price) by purchasing units/g.camps/barracks/etc. SDI might possibly be worth considering toward the end of a round, especially if you have high income and infra, except that it requires you to trade in half (at least) of your improvements to build it. Fact is, if admin wants wonders to be more than a curiousity in TE, they'll just have to come down in price again, even if it means reducing their effects as well, in some cases.

Wonders just aren't worth their price. I'm sure several of the higher nations (especially in money-earned) could have bought one, had they wanted to. None of the economic ones will ever recoup their price, so they may as well not be there. I'm not sure that any of the military ones warrant the price either, as most of them are just outclassed (per price) by purchasing units/g.camps/barracks/etc. SDI might possibly be worth considering toward the end of a round, especially if you have high income and infra, except that it requires you to trade in half (at least) of your improvements to build it. Fact is, if admin wants wonders to be more than a curiousity in TE, they'll just have to come down in price again, even if it means reducing their effects as well, in some cases.

Agreed that SDI would be worth it at this late stage, but not for the amount of improvement slots you need to give up for it. Maybe 1 satellite and 1 Missile Defense needed to get the SDI. And the price for all wonders need to drop considerbly as well. The highest infra level atm is a fraction under 2k infra and you need at least 6k infra for the mega wonders. Those mega wonders are never going to be used, ever if they are kept at the current level.

I've read over the thread and the opinions on prizes seems to be all over the place. Most of you seem to not want real life prizes or donation bonuses which is surprising but understandable. With that, I'm offering the following for the current tournament round:

1st place in final nation rankings in the tournament round will be allowed to submit a custom flag design of the winner's choice to be uploaded to both CN:TE and CN Standard.

o/ Admin. :lol: