Events are back!

MotherAfrica

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the new events seemt o all be bad. Ive lost 5% land. -3 income, +1 pop and +1 happiness. from 2 events. They about equall each other out but they both had negative effects.

One person in my alliance got 3 events in like 3 days.

he got -6 pop happiness, and -2 income from all 3 summed together.

well this is unfair, i got the same negative event twice, two days apart

6/22/2008

7/22/2008 Recently, storms have hit your nation, causing widespread flooding, disruption, and downed power lines. Hundreds of people have had to be evacuated from their homes and crops have been destroyed. Option 1: Distribute aid to the bereaved and displaced. Population happiness -3, Citizen income -$5.00.

Option 2:Extent your sympathies but suggest that people should be doing more to help themselves. Population happiness -4, Citizen income -$2.00.

Population happiness -6.

6/20/2008

7/20/2008 Recently, storms have hit your nation, causing widespread flooding, disruption, and downed power lines. Hundreds of people have had to be evacuated from their homes and crops have been destroyed. Option selected. See Current Response.

Option 2: Extent your sympathies but suggest that people should be doing more to help themselves. Population happiness -4, Citizen income -$2.00.

+Zeke+ some cannot do that. At day 1 how can you not pay bills and collect taxes every day. I couldn't imagine what it would be like right now being under 2000 infrastructure trying to build up to do 20 day swaps and being attacked by noobs all at the same time. I know someone who just recreated his nation and has already been attacked twice by rogues who the alliance can't really defend him from because the low strength. And since everyone is now encouraged to be inactive you can't find people online to attack anyone.

I told several a rogue attacked to several of our weak nations and nothing ever happened. I sent the person being attacked aid and threatened the rogue and he surrendered luckily but he was the second rogue to attack that person.

Also inactivity means people are holding onto more cash which gives rogues more reasons to attack.

Edited by Thorr

:angry: I`ve now had 4 bad events in 8 days, either the law of averages is against me, or someone has got the maths wrong...

btw, 3 of those events were from paying bills, I now had a (bad) event every 2 days..

Chances aren't higher, it is just bad luck, as you can easily flip a coin and get tails 4 times in a row. 50 percent chance never means you will get half good and half bad especially when it comes to computers. I play the game of conquer club which works like risk. In real life you get a lot better rolls than this game gives. I have seen 3 dice loose to 1 dice 7 times.

As the last topic was closed I thought I would repost what I originally said in the correct topic.

I can say that I have yet to get an event. But I think several good points have been raised in this thread.

1. I think that 10% on both excessive. This means you should get a new event every 5 days (or 6 per month)

2. As the bad events are worse than the good ones (as seen to this point in the LoSS event list we are making), statistically people would constantly be hurt by bad events by a decent margin.

3. This new practice hurts new nations in that, unlike older ones, they can not swap. This puts a large impediment in front of new players and makes catching up with the senior players even harder than it already is.

4. The new setup hurts active players. People that update their nation every day are hurt while those who are inactive have the advantage.

5. How does this improve the game? It introduces a very large amount of luck. People who get good events wont think much of them, especially since they are small. But I know several people who have received 3 bad events in the past week who are seriously considering leaving. I just cant see how this improves the game.

But now I cant complain if I don't offer a solution. I think that no matter what, both the frequency and maximum number of simultaneous events need to be lowered. 10% for both actions is too much and 8 events could actually bill lock some nations. Secondly I think that the events need to be either evened in strength, or the percentages need to shift in the 'good' events favor. Just my thoughts on the matter. I hope that admin does make some changes.

As Syzygy said, simply quit collecting and paying every day. The less you do that the less events you get.

This is the advice I give people.

The 52%/48% split between good/bad events would seem to indicate that there are 25 events total. 13 good and 12 bad.

Or course, it could be 50 or 75, but I doubt there'd be that much events.

Interesting. I've counted 26 events so far. 7 have been good. The only way I can make sense of it is if you're more likely to get good events when collecting, and thus encouraging the stoppage of improvement swapping.

Random chance ftl. I like cybernations because the smartest skilled leaders are the ones who's nations thrive, events both good a bad only make luck more important. Now my nation has actually received more positive events than negative because of this update so you can't say i'm just angry because i've gotten screwed. My vote take events back they were if it aint broke don't fix it.

-Veritas

does anyone know how long after seeing the event options that it gives you a "no decision option"?

The effect is immediate. But since you already hit the collect/pay button there's no real effect until the next update.

I tell my players not to react immediately. Copy it all down in the event log at the alliance and we crunch the numbers for them that day.

That way we can build a database and also give them the best choice.

Edited by +Zeke+

Random chance ftl. I like cybernations because the smartest skilled leaders are the ones who's nations thrive, events both good a bad only make luck more important. Now my nation has actually received more positive events than negative because of this update so you can't say i'm just angry because i've gotten screwed. My vote take events back they were if it aint broke don't fix it.

I said this in another thread. Also, I got the "storms" event (which is -5 happiness equivalent for the optimal choice) when I paid bills yesterday. For the second time in 8 days.

I'm sitting at -11.5 happiness and +1.5% population from events. Honestly.... wtf? If I were a new player just starting out I am sure I would be in bill lock, and forced to delete my nation or ride out bill lock for a month, while my more fortunate peers would prosper for no reason. I vote for wiping all existing events and preventing them from EVER happening again in the future. Either that, or fix it so that my situation doesn't happen to anyone... especially new nations that it would undoubtedly put into bill lock - for 30 days. <_<

Cap the happiness bonus at +5/-5 at the very least. Or make new events overwrite old ones, so that you can only have 1 in effect at a time.

There are several ways to fix this problem (yes I believe there is a problem now, after looking at multiple dozens reports of events on several forums). The main points are:

- Good events are not as good as bad events, on average. This needs to be addressed. It seems as if admin has reduced some of the happiness for good events from before, and increased the effects of negative ones, and added harsher negative events. Some increased benefit with good events may be required, or a change in % good vs % bad events.

- The variation in event distribution is something else. Some people are getting several bad events, discouraging them from playing the game. I'm not saying negative events are bad, but when 1 nation gets so many of them, it isn't great for keeping people in the game. Especially new nations. To solve this: put a cap on the number of a specific event you can have. 3 good and 3 bad, max. So if you have 3 bad events, and when you collect you "get another bad one" it will not show up. Same goes for good events. And if you end up having 3 good, 3 bad, you won't be able to get any more until one expires. Some events can be almost neutral, so maybe a neutral can fill a "positive" or "negative" slot.

- Young nations are affected by this the most. Old nations won't collect/pay bills daily, and thus won't get as many events. If the two prior points are looked into, then this one isn't a big problem.

Caps on bad and good events is a good idea also. I suggested capping all events at 3 but 3 for either is also doable then you can at least gain some positive ones trying to get rid of the negative ones by paying bills every day. Thus you should grow after the negative ones drop off.

This is ridiculous. I've had 5 events since they came back up. I've only collected taxes twice and I've started paying bills every other day. So far I'm in the hole -8 happiness, -$2, -5% land, and no access to Affluent Population. I've got to deal with this for a month????

Even amount of good luck and bad luck with events. I had to lose access to Affluent Population (which isn't bad since I never had that bonus resource in the first place), two sporting events which is either a +1.5 happiness or +$3.00 and that my economy is in a deep recession.

I don't want no more events. :unsure: