Events are back!

MotherAfrica

Just because most people only pay bills on most days doesn't mean that people never collect taxes and pay bills on the same day, sir. Also, I believe you meant 19%.

lolmath

Edited by ugexe

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of curiosity, have you added any "new types" of events that were suggested before? :popcorn:

Yes. One option is the potential to take away Affluent Population. Mine was different.

6/12/2008

7/12/2008 Your council has approached you about creating a trade route directly through a forest into a nearby nation. Option selected. See Current Response.

Option 1: I forget, but it was +5% land, +$2.00 income.

Option 2: Refuse to build through the forest. Population happiness +2.

No response: +1 happiness.

Most of the new events are thinking events. You have to option to sacrafice happiness for an income boost and vice versa or a little population for a land boost and vice versa, etc... Counting all the events in the game they are 48% negative 52% positive.

Very neat.

BTW, the +15% citizen event has been removed.

NOOOOOOOO! :P

That was such an over powered event. I'd gain 2.5 mil a day and nearly 20k citizens if I got it these days.

Only if you knew what you were doing. I thought that the pop gain was permanent,so I totally messed up my nation for a couple days when it expired. I actually had to send someone an aid package of troops to get rid of them, or I would have lost even more money.

Yes, instead of +15% I put a decimal in there and made it +1.5%. :awesome:

sigh, there goes the best event. :P ... ... seriously though: T_T

On a serious note, yay for events, and on the whole the changes look to be good... o/ Admin

6/12/2008

7/12/2008 Your council has approached you about creating a trade route directly through a forest into a nearby nation. Option selected. See Current Response.

Option 1: I forget, but it was +5% land, +$2.00 income.

Option 2: Refuse to build through the forest. Population happiness +2.

No response: +1 happiness.

I got the same event, but for me it was -5% land, +$2.00 income or just +2 happiness. Why would anyone choose option 1 over option 2?

Does this mean that I'll have +1,5% population for 30 days?

Yes. Just as I will have +2 happiness for 30 days.

Edited by ArgonV

well it would be a lot more funny if the *exact* effect of the choices would not be shown, would it? basically everyone knows that 1hap = $2 so there is almost no room for wrong decisions.

It would be a lot nicer if the events effects would have a slight random range of effect. like:

Option I - build the road trough the forest. Increases land area 1-5% and population income $1-$5.

Option II - refuse to build trough the forest. Increases population happiness 1-3.

So, you have no *exact* predictable reaction of the population, but your advisors can only tell you roughly what will most likely happen. Once you make the choice, a value is calculated like:

Option I chosen: You build the road trough the forest. Your land area increased by 2.57%, your citizen income increased by $3.76

or

Option II chosen: Your Government refused to built trough the forest. Your popultion happiness increased by 2.43

This way there is no 'best' decision and once you have chosen you will never know what the other choice would have done. You can finally make your decisions based on kinda "roleplay politics" rather then on sheer numbers and precalculations where after a while everyone will basically make the same choices and the perfect way to chose is explained in some simple guide.

Edited by (DAC)Syzygy

With minimum possible environment being 2 (if i'm not mistaking) won't a change of 2 happiness practically be worth a bit less than that?

Best possible environment is 1.00 + GRL, so the best at the time of this post would be 1.63. That's approximately a -0.63% change in happiness, fairly negligible.

I remember having two of the +10% population, -5 happiness stacked when my nation was little.

//edit:

well it would be a lot more funny if the *exact* effect of the choices would not be shown, would it? basically everyone knows that 1hap = $2 so there is almost no room for wrong decisions.

It would be a lot nicer if the events effects would have a slight random range of effect. like:

Option I - build the road trough the forest. Increases land area 1-5% and population income $1-$5.

Option II - refuse to build trough the forest. Increases population happiness 1-3.

So, you have no *exact* predictable reaction of the population, but your advisors can only tell you roughly what will most likely happen. Once you make the choice, a value is calculated like:

Option I chosen: You build the road trough the forest. Your land area increased by 2.57%, your citizen income increased by $3.76

or

Option II chosen: Your Government refused to built trough the forest. Your popultion happiness increased by 2.43

This way there is no 'best' decision and once you have chosen you will never know what the other choice would have done. You can finally make your decisions based on kinda "roleplay politics" rather then on sheer numbers and precalculations where after a while everyone will basically make the same choices and the perfect way to chose is explained in some simple guide.

Go make a suggestion if you haven't already! =D

Edited by DeathDread

or

Kinda like that other nation building game, huh? Well, I guess it'd add a little bit more unpredictability in the game, I like the idea.

or

This, plus many options to choose from would make the events system much more interesting. That is, rather than choosing one of two options, you would choose a combination of several courses of action from a list of 5-10 options. Different combinations could then have different effects on your nation, with varying degrees of severity.

With a system like this, events would be complex enough that intelligent players could grow much faster than 'log in, collect, pay bills' players. It would also allow for events to have more disastrous effects if dealt with badly. I would like to see poor players forced to go backwards, or at least stagnate for a while if they chose a foolish way of dealing with an event.

I would also like to see events varying depending on the size of your nation. In reality, a nation cannot simply go on growing indefinitely by just buying infrastructure and investing in technology, etc. As a nation grows, it becomes more and more difficult to manage when faced with a negative 'event.' Something like war or political scandal can then trigger social upheaval or economic recession/stagnation/depression, eventually culminating in revolution or collapse if dealt with ineffectively. Obviously this is just a game, but I would still like to see some pressure on the larger nations that would prevent poor players from growing continuously. A more complex event system could do this.

(Is this worth putting in the Suggestion Box?)