photo-20460.png

Person of the Year: Roquentin

Noctis_Thron4.jpg.95aa6d30bc6d4b6771af8be341540e84.jpg

Runner-UpNoctis Lucis Caelum

See the source image

Alliance of the Year: Umbrella

latest?cb=20091021171836

Runner-Up: Sovereign League of Armed Powers

2017 has been proclaimed “The Year of the Parasol.”  By popular vote, following an open nomination period, the people of Planet Bob declared that this year’s Person of the Year was Roquentin (in-game Monster), the longtime President of Umbrella.  The accompanying Alliance of the Year was none other than his own alliance, Umbrella. 

At first glance, one would think that perhaps the Person of the Year and the Alliance of the Year would be intrinsically tied, in that the leader of the latter would be a likely candidate for the former.  However, the early favorites and near-contenders, Noctis for Person and The Templar Knights for Alliance indicates that this thought isn’t correct – at least for this year.

What began as a simple conversation in the collective retrospect of the most recent year of Planet Bob quickly became a forum for players behind the rulers to truly discuss who had been the most influential.  Rightfully, and thankfully, the conversation indicated that this wasn’t a popularity competition.  This, perhaps, aided in the quick establishment of this newly-created annual award’s prestige.  One must only look at the fact that the nomination period bent in strong favor toward Noctis, a widely-controversial figure.  In fact, many of his nominators were in-game rivals or enemies. 

The parameter for this award was based on one simple question: What Person/Alliance, for better or for worse, has done the most to influence the events of the year?

“Influence” can be subjective in definition.  After all, Hitler was Person of the Year in 1938, as was Pope John XXIII in 1962.  However, it is clear that “influence,” for the intentions of this award, most definitely refers to the role said Person or Alliance had in the year’s events – whether that role be good or bad.

So, without further ado, here is why 2017 was The Year of the Parasol.

Roquentin, the President of Umbrella, is the fountainhead by which Umbrella acts upon Bob.  No treaty or declaration of war from CN’s 4th Ranked alliance comes without the nod of their longtime leader. 

Umbrella has been a major player in three of the year’s four largest wars (War of Maroon Dominance, XX-Sparta War, and the Gh0s7busting War).

Umbrella’s role, it should be noted, was tied to that of Oculus, the world’s dominant MADP bloc.  Perhaps, their role in these wars could be attributed to their membership of the aforementioned bloc.  However, the principle behind Occam's razor states that the theory with the fewest assumptions should be chosen.  Therefore, we won’t assume more than what is clearly seen from a journalistic standpoint.  Therefore, based solely on Umbrella’s active military and diplomatic participation in these wars, it can be seen why Umbrella would be chosen as the year’s most influential alliance.

But, what of Roquentin?  Why was he chosen as this year’s Person? 

The President of Umbrella for most players’ living memories, he is noted for his quiet and reserved nature – but, also, for his determination and clear-sightedness in his desires.  One only need see his role in some of Bob’s largest wars throughout its history to see that he is an experienced statesman, unrivaled by but few.

As previously noted, all treaties and declarations of war do not come from Umbrella without his permission.  But, is that enough to be this year’s Person?  After all, can one truly tie the success of an alliance to a person, or vice versa?

Despite his quiet nature, he is everywhere.  Little happens without his knowledge.  Even less happens without his approval.  He does not have the public profile of some of the other leaders within the Top 10’s Foreign Affairs circuit, but it is often the quietest who is the most influential. 

We cannot assume that this year’s Oculus moves happened with his permission, but we cannot also assume that they happened without his nod.  Oculus had a most defining role in this year’s foreign affairs landscape, obliterating alliances and raising others up.  Roquentin is most definitely a leading figure within Oculus, and, for this, his influence is noted.

These two intertwined entities, Roquentin and Umbrella, defined and dominated the politics of 2017.  This was truly their year – and, perhaps, without one, the other wouldn’t have been as successful or influential.  It was Roquentin’s steady hand and deft maneuvering, matched by the awesome power of Umbrella’s war machine and dynamic treaty web, which moved the mountains of Bob. 

Chestnut, Sparta, CotM, and TTK all fell; Polaris joined with her new allies in Oculus; Maroon was realigned; yet, Umbrella and Roquentin remained atop their peak.  With so many titans falling, it is wondrous how one alliance could always win.  Skillful politicking, dedicated leadership, or something else?

For all of the winners and losers of 2017, Roquentin and Umbrella showed that they have not quite left the show – and this year’s events would have been quite different without them.

For, the Parasol shrugged, and so the world shuttered.

Note: Thank you all for your wonderful participation in this inaugural event.  Without your nominations and votes, it wouldn't have been the same.  Here's to 2018!

4 hours ago, Lucius Optimus said:

Eh...why?

Because FAN has by far been the most productive alliance this year. Their aid slot usage atm is an incredible 12.02% right now. That's crazy active. They're definitely keeping the community alive. Their FA department is all over the cybersphere, getting a bunch of protectorate.

Their newest confirmed member joined over 400 days ago. 400! That's incredible. They're very welcoming of new players and deserve credit for encouraging new players to stay.

Think of all the recent wars FAN has been in. That's right. Even as I type this they have an active war. 

Umbrella stole this award just like the Patriots stole that game away. I WILL NOT LET THIS DISSERVICE TO FAN GO UNNOTICED!

59 minutes ago, SeaBeeGipson said:

Because FAN has by far been the most productive alliance this year. Their aid slot usage atm is an incredible 12.02% right now. That's crazy active. They're definitely keeping the community alive. Their FA department is all over the cybersphere, getting a bunch of protectorate.

Their newest confirmed member joined over 400 days ago. 400! That's incredible. They're very welcoming of new players and deserve credit for encouraging new players to stay.

Think of all the recent wars FAN has been in. That's right. Even as I type this they have an active war. 

Umbrella stole this award just like the Patriots stole that game away. I WILL NOT LET THIS DISSERVICE TO FAN GO UNNOTICED!

^^^^ this is SBG

but that Patriots comment was a step too far, that is a SeaBee! to war! :)

49 minutes ago, Monster said:

I'm honored to win this. I'll be honest there hasn't been a lot to go on for awards, but it's good that the stuff we've been able to do/are doing despite our inactivity is recognized.

Interesting to see the Person of the Year and Runner Up both ex-Citadel Gov. Congrats on the well deserved award.

The only difference between a boring year and an interesting one in CN is alliances leaders still doing stuff to make the game interesting; causing people to want to pay attention. We saw Umbrella start a war this year, assisting allies in some others; also you managing to keep Umbrella's tech program active is no small feat either. 

More so than the smaller player base, its a lack of leaders who want to keep doing things to make people interested which causes the perceived stagnation of the game. The antidote for the steady decline of this game is alliances leaders taking actions; which get people interested in the game. A few people can change the entire atmosphere of this game if they're in a position of power and start an interesting war scenario. You wield enough power in CN, you could make next year even more interesting if you decide to keep doing so. I doubt I would still be here if you were't around still when I rerolled; with so many other old friends gone.

I probably would have been a little disappointed losing to anyone else, but I'm happy you won it. You definitely earned it. Don't lose hope, you're leader of one of the most powerful alliances in CN. Don't forget that. o/

Edited by Noctis Lucis Caelum

1 hour ago, Noctis Lucis Caelum said:

Interesting to see the Person of the Year and Runner Up both ex-Citadel Gov. Congrats on the well deserved award.

The only difference between a boring year and an interesting one in CN is alliances leaders still doing stuff to make the game interesting; causing people to want to pay attention. We saw Umbrella start a war this year, assisting allies in some others; also you managing to keep Umbrella's tech program active is no small feat either. 

More so than the smaller player base, its a lack of leaders who want to keep doing things to make people interested which causes the perceived stagnation of the game. The antidote for the steady decline of this game is alliances leaders taking actions; which get people interested in the game. A few people can change the entire atmosphere of this game if they're in a position of power and start an interesting war scenario. You wield enough power in CN, you could make next year even more interesting if you decide to keep doing so. I doubt I would still be here if you were't around still when I rerolled; with so many other old friends gone.

I probably would have been a little disappointed losing to anyone else, but I'm happy you won it. You definitely earned it. Don't lose hope, you're leader of one of the most powerful alliances in CN. Don't forget that. o/

i agree to a degree but not necessarily who you attribute this to. Yes if we all stop whining about the death of CN, or saying no one cares, or lets just destroy it and ride out to the end. We could still have some fun here even if the PB shrinks more we can have an enjoyable time. Maybe just maybe removing that stagnation, opening up the politics a bit might re-invigorate us a bit. Not for sure, but I'd like to see us try.

10 minutes ago, MaineGOP said:

i agree to a degree but not necessarily who you attribute this to. Yes if we all stop whining about the death of CN, or saying no one cares, or lets just destroy it and ride out to the end. We could still have some fun here even if the PB shrinks more we can have an enjoyable time. Maybe just maybe removing that stagnation, opening up the politics a bit might re-invigorate us a bit. Not for sure, but I'd like to see us try.

PB shrinking is symptom of not enough people putting any effort into making things happen; probably more players drop off on the years where amost no major wars happen and everyone focuses on self preservation. (People get bored if their nation is never used for anything really)

If someone makes a nation and interesting stuff are going on; they tend to stay. If they make one and nothing is happening; they tend to leave. I first joined during the Unjust War; so I discovered the game at an interesting time even if I was to new to partake in that one.

5 minutes ago, Noctis Lucis Caelum said:

PB shrinking is symptom of not enough people putting any effort into making things happen; probably more players drop off on the years where amost no major wars happen and everyone focuses on self preservation. (People get bored if their nation is never used for anything really)

If someone makes a nation and interesting stuff are going on; they tend to stay. If they make one and nothing is happening; they tend to leave. I first joined during the Unjust War; so I discovered the game at an interesting time even if I was to new to partake in that one.

I think it's a balance, wars need to happen sure (well for most people, FCC didn't fight until Karma and we grew fine, different time though and we could watch others fight) but curbstomps cause people to leave too. i think the micro level is interesting, if not a bit ridiculous at times. The major level could be more interesting, and would be epic if it opened up a bit. We shall see.

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:00 PM, Mogar said:

Excellent write up Maegor, congrats to Roq and Umbrella!

Thank you, my friend!  Glad you enjoyed it.

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:48 PM, SeaBeeGipson said:

I demand a recount! No offense to Umbrella, but FAN totally deserved that award!

My thoughts exactly :P 

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 3:12 AM, Monster said:

I'm honored to win this. I'll be honest there hasn't been a lot to go on for awards, but it's good that the stuff we've been able to do/are doing despite our inactivity is recognized.

I couldn't think of a better inaugural holder of the award, in both categories.  Thank you for the nice words and stopping by to accept.  Regarding the stuff you all have been doing, it's the effort that's noticed by the voters, I believe.  And, maybe a repeat's in order next year? ;) 

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 4:02 AM, Noctis Lucis Caelum said:

I am glad that this conversation came up.  In part, I was hoping that some form of retrospective over the prior year would either encourage a conversation in terms of how to work with what remains of CN and how we the few who remain (and remain engaged) can ensure that the game stays interesting.  And, maybe, it's the little things that make up a larger whole.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:45 AM, MaineGOP said:

I think a rebirth of 2006-2007 politicking would be fun as hell.  Am I saying manufacture drama, wars, etc.?  Well, how else do you think "reality" T.V. shows are so damn interesting all the time lol?

26 minutes ago, Maegor said:

I am glad that this conversation came up.  In part, I was hoping that some form of retrospective over the prior year would either encourage a conversation in terms of how to work with what remains of CN and how we the few who remain (and remain engaged) can ensure that the game stays interesting.  And, maybe, it's the little things that make up a larger whole.

Would probably take another nation with billions they're willing to blow through to keep this war going as long as needed for the enemy to give up. So because of unforeseen technical difficulties; my main plan for getting through this war vanished and don't really have any others. So while I've done my share to try making things interesting over the years; I think in upcoming years it will fall on others. Also the game needs more people willing wager against odds which seem unwinnable to keep things interesting. Allows unexpected turns of events to occur; which people find far more interesting than wars where the outcome is decided at the start based on how big each side is.

Overly predictable wars tend to be boring.

On 12/22/2017 at 6:40 PM, Noctis Lucis Caelum said:

Would probably take another nation with billions they're willing to blow through to keep this war going as long as needed for the enemy to give up. So because of unforeseen technical difficulties; my main plan for getting through this war vanished and don't really have any others. So while I've done my share to try making things interesting over the years; I think in upcoming years it will fall on others. Also the game needs more people willing wager against odds which seem unwinnable to keep things interesting. Allows unexpected turns of events to occur; which people find far more interesting than wars where the outcome is decided at the start based on how big each side is.

Overly predictable wars tend to be boring.

I think you are missing the point massively, you would need more than one nation, more so one that was not willing to blow 1.5b on infra in one day, do that more than once and his WC meant for nothing, also lets not forget your AA is full of nations over 3k days old with !@#$ tons of wonders fighting nations who are mostly under 500 days old with hardly any wonders, if you can not win that then your pretty bad at war.

even with a small amount of money nations with huge wonders should easy take out nations with very little in terms of wonders as you should win every GA therefore they pay for you to fight. also keep in mind that 9m every ten days isnt much so dont act like that one nation could fun all. Maybe if your new cash cow came out of peace mode and sent aid you can claim to be winning again.