A call for mass-disbandment

Master Holton

My nation used to have a talk show where guests would be brought on to discuss their personal disputes with each other. They would launch into tirades about who said what to whom and what some 3rd party said they heard from a 4th party and so on and so on. It would usually devolve into cursing, half-assed fighting, and swinging chairs around at each other. Everyone involved ended up looking like a classless idiot with too much time on their hands.

That's about what I get out of watching micro drama.

• 4 weeks later...

I was asked to come back by my Evil Overlord just to shake things up (you know, being one of the most-hated players back in the day can do that)...but frankly I don't have the time or inclination especially since activity all over Bob is down.  At my peak I was probably online 4-6 hours a day and was seriously burned out on the entire thing.  I can't imagine even how to start again with activity all over so low.

Now that I've been back about 8 months or so...I have to say I was kinda shocked at how much smaller Bob is these days.   It's true that Bob isn't what it once was (maybe 1/3 or 1/4 of what it was).  There was a time when you could hop on IRC and most every channel was busy.  I've randomly popped into channels since I've come back and they're dead.  Nobody even said, "Hey Slayer, DIAF."  The only active channel I found was MI6.   I remember when we had regular Skype calls with alliance leaders (sometimes politics, but mostly to BS).  While I'm sure there's politics going on, backroom deals, and the like...nothing like it was.  That being said that even in it's heyday, there was only 20-40% of an alliance that would be active on the alliance forums, here, or IRC.  Now that Bob is that much smaller the amount of active players is that much smaller.

Disbanding alliances isn't likely going to cure the problem...because in reality the only thing that would help is a huge influx of new AND active players which is highly unlikely.  Most people are content paying bills, collecting taxes and waiting for the next war.

OOC

I'm not sure if there are any "better" geopolitical RP web games out there...or these games have fallen out of favor...or if Planet Bob has run it's course.  It just is what it is.

Edited by Slayer99

I got contacted and asked if I wanted to give this thing another go, too. Like you I have been absolutely blown away by how dead the real time communication aspect is and how tiny even the biggest Alliances are compared to back in the day.

OOC (Thanks for reminding me these silly rules, exist, Slayer): The game still seems to be designed and run as if it was a decade ago, back when there were always more people registering and wanting to play, back when it was completely ok for the health of the game to be free with the banhammer and the ZI stick because there were always new people itching to try their hand at straddling the world, back when no one was SO far ahead that it was insane to dream of someday catching up.

If the game-runners really want to rejuvenate this thing - and apparently they do if old folk are getting emails - they need to take a good hard look at how they can change the rules of the game to make the day-to-day more exciting in and of itself instead of relying on extra-game politics to provide the draw. I'm honestly hugely surprised that CN is still going as well as it is considering that war is so hugely disincentivized at the high end and it is impossible to ever catch up at the low.