Ramblings from the Imperial Rocking Chair

Dajobo

Being retired is both fascinating and frustrating. Once you go out to pasture people are more comfortable to share info with you. At the same time, you have the info and have lost the ability to really use it!

Without ratting people out though or betraying the confidence of those who have told me stuff, planet Bob is getting seriously interesting.

Right now there are more alliances playing the ‘long’ game than I have ever seen before! Ironic given the state of decline our population is in and the pessimism many of us feel for the future. Far and wide there is open and honest acceptance that the ruling coalition is too big, and cant last long term.

Within that coalition there are multiple factions. Pacifica heads the list as ruling the largest of these and as the central lynch pin. No one in the hegemony can do anything without Pacifica signing off on it. I’ve seen people suggest that Pacifica is lining up DBDC for later. It’s a load of bunkem. Pacifica has no reason or desire to tangle with DBDC. DBDC are like the rest of the alliances in the blob who can’t move without NPO’s ok and while individually huge, collectively are far too small to be a danger.

The other factions I won’t name, I’m not going to be accused of trying to drive a wedge. They exist though and they are the reason this world is getting interesting. Several of them have talked to me and they are all in the same boat, trying to tow the line now while preparing for the future. The common belief is straight forward, Polar and/or MI6 can be hit once, maybe even twice to stave off the collapse and buy time but then the coalition splits. This is where it gets interesting. People are trying to find a place where they can support a war and play their part while being in a position post war to buddy up with some of the alliances they will be hitting. How do you attack the people you will need and not pay for it later?

It’s frustrating for me waiting for the first phase of this to be over. I’m guessing it’s equally as frustrating for MI6. It’s also fascinating talking to alliances and seeing who is laying the ground work for post war already. They tell me upfront they can’t rock the boat right now and they are right, being the one to split the coalition now would be a violent and bloody death!

For now I say “Carry on”. Eatemup will get to play ‘King Maker’ soon and I’m enjoying the ride!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you love retirement mate! I quite enjoy shaking my finger at all these kids running up and down my street with their rap music and their baseball caps on BACKWARDS ..... and their Tshirts with their offffffffsensive slogans.... pfft kids

The cyclic nature of this game of politics means that yes, one day soon, Polar will be in a position to be King Maker, if they take said opportunity, and how long it lasts is another thing. I've played the phases before via numerous alliances, and it is fascinating as you say.
This game is full of people, wanting you to listen to their grand master plan on how to win the next 1-3 wars, I wouldn't say you have to be retired for them to do it though.

Edited by The Pansy

Speaking as someone who is not in on the back channel stuff at all, I'm skeptical that Polar and MI6 are big enough that rolling them would even count as a "global war" and reset the cycle, so to speak.  Maybe they have enough people that would be on their side for that to happen, but I'm skeptical.

I also don't think they will necessarily be kingmakers either after.  Doesn't mean they won't be a player that people will try to bring to their side, but it doesn't guarantee that they will be big enough to tip the scales.

We will see I guess.

Oh Dajobo, please try harder. You can't say stuff like this:

The other factions I won’t name, I’m not going to be accused of trying to drive a wedge.

But in the same post go on to invent some factions, a myth of NPO dominance, and try to draw lines where they don't exist.

Eatemup will get to play ‘King Maker’ soon and I’m enjoying the ride!

I very much doubt this.

In short:

Can't sleep. NPO will roll me.

Oh Dajobo, please try harder. You can't say stuff like this:
But in the same post go on to invent some factions, a myth of NPO dominance, and try to draw lines where they don't exist.

I love a good bite from a clueless person :D

The factions in the hegemony who do NOT like you are very real. You wish they didn't exist and you hate that I wont name them, but it doesn't change it. It's better for them if you don't believe me.
NPO dominance is something you should be proud of, not denying. It is a direct result of hard work by your leaders and diplomats. No where have I said it's a bad thing or that evil NPO is out to roll anybody.
What you need understand Stanger is I know very well what it takes to fit into a coalition and the discipline required. I also know how the effort required to keep alternate desires in check by members of any coalition increases over time.
Ally A hates ally B and they put that aside for a while for the greater good. A while though does not equal forever and then the fun starts.

Finally Stanger, don't be too fast assuming Polaris will be on the opposite side as yourselves when it all happens. I know who I talk to and who we'll likely end up friends with, but not for one minute do I pretend to know where they'll all fall in the big picture..

Edited by Dajobo

Firstly, its probably easier you refer to me as Frawley. [ooc]I'll pay for the name change at some point.[/ooc]

Time will tell on your statements, but I'd be very surprised if any of them came through in the foreseeable future. I think you have been spending too much time on CNTel.

I made no assumptions on NPO-NpO relations, and you would be aware of my full opinion from our delightful embassy.

Edited by Stanger