Increase Nuclear Proliferation Counter Measures

THE PROBLEM: Nuclear weapons are extremely powerful. So powerful until they have diminished the strategic creativity of many rulers within the game. "Get nukes, drop nukes" is the summary of TE gameplay. The proliferation of nuclear weapons also promote the perception that the ruler MUST build his or her nation just like nation "A" or nation "B" so that his or her nation has a real opportunity to compete or dominate @ war.

Nukes are, and rightfully so, the most destructive weapons in the game. However, a counter measure is needed to promote strategic creativity by producing a viable alternative to the nuclear arms race, and by decreasing the perception that you have to be a carbon copy of your enemy or your alliance teammate to be competitive or dominate @ war.

THE SUGGESTED SOLUTION: The Secret Strategic Defense Initiative (SSDI) wonder - Reduces odds of a successful nuclear attack against your nation by 90%. +7 Happiness. The SSDI wonder also requires 5 satellites, 5 missle defenses, the SDI wonder, 2,000 infrastructure, and 400 technology. Cannot purchase if you own a Manhattan Project. Only visible by the user who owns it.

You are probably right, but here are some things to remember; 1. You cannot own the SSDI & the MP at the same time. So basically your ssdi adds 30% defense capabilities to your sdi and prevents you from owning nukes. 2. You can still have the 60% protection of the sdi and have your mp so some rulers may feel the 60% is enough protection & retain their ability to drop nukes.

The good thing is you get the real opportunity to choose. Now, I would say that the pricetag for the MP & the proposed SSDI should both be around 30 to 60 million if nations are starting with the 100 million sirplus.

But I would not want them so expensive that rulers spent the whole round building and not going to war until the last five or ten days of the round.

Edited by King Obsidian

THE PROBLEM: Nuclear weapons are extremely powerful. So powerful until they have diminished the strategic creativity of many rulers within the game. "Get nukes, drop nukes" is the summary of TE gameplay. The proliferation of nuclear weapons also promote the perception that the ruler MUST build his or her nation just like nation "A" or nation "B" so that his or her nation has a real opportunity to compete or dominate @ war.

Nukes are, and rightfully so, the most destructive weapons in the game. However, a counter measure is needed to promote strategic creativity by producing a viable alternative to the nuclear arms race, and by decreasing the perception that you have to be a carbon copy of your enemy or your alliance teammate to be competitive or dominate @ war.

THE SUGGESTED SOLUTION: The Secret Strategic Defense Initiative (SSDI) wonder - Reduces odds of a successful nuclear attack against your nation by 90%. +7 Happiness. The SSDI wonder also requires 5 satellites, 5 missle defenses, the SDI wonder, 2,000 infrastructure, and 400 technology. Cannot purchase if you own a Manhattan Project. Only visible by the user who owns it.

Sounds really good.  Best idea I heard in a long time!

This wonder would make the MP virtually useless against a nation with the wonder, and if that isn't enough is almost as good as two economic wonders.

As it stands, there would be very little reason to not get it early in the round, and even if you remove the economic bonuses the fact that it would pretty much end nuclear warfare (one in ten nukes getting through is far too low for it to be viable in TE) is not, in my opinion, a positive, especially given that a lot of nations who try this game to it so they can use weapons they might not have access to in Se

This wonder would make the MP virtually useless against a nation with the wonder, and if that isn't enough is almost as good as two economic wonders.

As it stands, there would be very little reason to not get it early in the round, and even if you remove the economic bonuses the fact that it would pretty much end nuclear warfare (one in ten nukes getting through is far too low for it to be viable in TE) is not, in my opinion, a positive, especially given that a lot of nations who try this game to it so they can use weapons they might not have access to in Se

He's not suggesting to take anyones access to those weapons.

I think this would be a great idea. It would even the odds as I've seen nations on the winning side of conflicts never reach 0 nukes. It would balance out the fact that we can buy 2 nukes a day w/o WRC. It would also add a different element of gameplay.

Sounds really good.  Best idea I heard in a long time!

Thanks Hoosier.  I hope it shows up in some form within the game.

Caladin, you bring up some interesting points so lets clear up a few things. 

First, your MP would still be viable because your nukes are still Nukes which are the most powerful weapons in the game.  It is true that some Rulers may get the SSDI early in a 100 million surplus round, but in round 36 that is exactly what happened with the MP; and at the beginning of the round it was like 175 or more consecutive "Direct Hits".  So that means I MUST build just like the next guy and get nukes so we all can be in nuclear anarchy. 

Second, It would not end nuclear warfare, but make nukes MORE SPECIAL!  For every SSDI Nation, that is one additional nation WITHOUT nukes.  Nukes will still get through, and if Allied Nations are working together as they should; the Nukes that do land will really hurt because they do so much damage and an SSDI Nation does not have a singular weapon that can match that. 

Third, Don't forget about the nations who for what ever reason never have MP's during the round; it would be the same for the SSDI.  

And finally, Nuke-less SE Nations would not lose the experience of warring with nukes because if they are playing CN:TE for the nukes they can build their Nations and purchase MPs and purchase nukes.

He's not suggesting to take anyones access to those weapons.

I think this would be a great idea. It would even the odds as I've seen nations on the winning side of conflicts never reach 0 nukes. It would balance out the fact that we can buy 2 nukes a day w/o WRC. It would also add a different element of gameplay.

Thank you Staccs and that is right.  It adds to the gameplay. Right now in round 36, you have 90 nations with @ least 10 Nukes. 203 have Nukes, and most of those nations have multiple nukes.  With the SSDI, your Nukes are still as deadly as ever.  But you can no longer be a lazy alliance with weak blitzes and non- cooperative nations who don't want to participate in war.  You could even downgrade the SSDI to an 80% Nuke shield (20% increase to the SDI), +5 happiness or +2 happiness to make a compromise with those who dislike the idea.  I like the original numbers but I believe strongly that the SSDI definitely has a place in CN:TE.

And finally, Nuke-less SE Nations would not lose the experience of warring with nukes because if they are playing CN:TE for the nukes they can build their Nations and purchase MPs and purchase nukes.

This wonder would make nukes obsolete; I would not have my nations purchase nukes simply because it would be a waste of a wonder slot; much better to dump the slots on an eco wonder or this wonder you are proposing.

This wonder would make nukes obsolete; I would not have my nations purchase nukes simply because it would be a waste of a wonder slot; much better to dump the slots on an eco wonder or this wonder you are proposing.

I do not believe the SSDI would make nukes obsolete, but I do understand your concern.  So, Caladin, what about an SSDI that would give the owner's SDI a 10% Nuke Shield Increase from 60% to 70%, +3 Happiness, & the owner may not have an MP to purchase?  

I don't understand how it would make nukes obsolete. Even with my normal SDI, I blocked 12 out of 14 nukes these past two days. That's a block rate of 85%. Sometimes I get a block rate of 0%. I'm sure the ssdi would be the same shit.

Edited by Staccs

@ Staccs, that is how I feel! Most of the nukes fired @ me hit my nation. A little extra protection is fair. I was dominating my opponent and he had no answer, but he hit me with two nukes. 200 & then 185 tech gone just like that & a whole lot more. I love the challenge but come on.