Top 20 alliances Analysis

Elite Virgin

I think this whole "why does MI6 suck" discussion can be summed up by one word: pride.

Sometimes, you need to be pragmatic, and not pour vitriol on your less polite opponents. It might be smart to give a nice answer to a less nice question, sometimes. You might be displeased by what someone posts in an embassy, but that does not mean you need to spend five pages moaning about how they're going to roll you for no reason, or grandstanding about how majestic your military capacities are and how you're going to make them regret it.

You also seem to suffer from the same disease on a member level, beyond the alliance-as-a-whole. Your members need to learn that it isn't always a great idea to show up and spread their genius opinion all over a thread. Sometimes it's more productive to have a few competent posters on one line in a thread than a roaring storm of half-informed opinions from your entire alliance.

If the rumours I've heard are true, about members directly disregarding instructions not to post their customary rage in an embassy -- which certainly seems to mesh with the rest of my impression of your alliance, though I'm not saying it is necessarily true just because of that -- then that also seems like a sign of your members' pride. You shouldn't prioritize your own special snowflake little opinion (which is probably the same as half of your alliance's already, anyway) above the success and governance of your alliance.

Learn some humility and get over yourselves. You aren't a magic special snowflake, no one is going to treat you like one, so stop acting like you are.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NPO - Likes tech. More precisely, obsessed with tech. (Blame Frawley)
  • GPA - Like tech, but only because they never have had the chance to lose it.
  • IRON - Likes tech, but less so than before. Still has silly levels of it.
  • Umbrella - Used to be tech gods. Not so much any more. Eclipsed by NPO's new obsession.
  • NpO - Hates tech. Abhors it. Considers 6/200 tech deals immoral. (I'm not sure how tech deals have any correspondence to morality, but to each their own)
  • WTF - Like tech. Used to like it more, but a recent noodle incident changed that.
  • ODN - 
  • VE - Likes tech. Probably would have liked it more, but ate GOP a little too late; should have done it before their noodle incident. 
  • RNR - Dislikes tech, but only because it doesn't help them use the & symbol.
  • Sparta - Likes tech. Is somehow good at getting it. I don't know why, but Sparta keeps doing competent things and it keeps surprising me.
  • NATO - 
  • Valhalla - 
  • NEW - Probably likes tech, but I don't know. I don't speak Indonesian.
  • DT - Likes cheap tech.
  • MI6 - Likes tech. Wants to use it to open Q's R&D division.
  • Pax Corvus - Doesn't like tech. Objects strenuously to attempts to make them like tech.
  • FAN - Doesn't like tech, unless it leads to bigger guns.
  • GOONS - 
  • FARK - 
  • SNX - Hates tech. Well, probably likes tech, but has no idea how to obtain it. (Someone give them a viceroy already)
Edited by Caladin

I've played this game for nearly 8 years and the sheer pretentiousness of some of y'all of late is downright sickening.

It's like folks feel they have to bend over backwards to lob threats and actively seek to harm others but don't actually have the spine to do it for fear of actually having to back it up. I get that at this stage of the game most of you all would sell your grandmother for a spot or two in the great stat race or for some tech, but some folks don't play this game for stats anymore, they play it for the folks in their alliance. Some don't even care about winning or losing! After spending a year avoiding confrontation and putting up with the incredulous amount of vitriol you would have thought MI6 has somehow forcibly disbanded alliances, perma zi'd folks or installed viceroys like Pacifica in the olden days. Our greatest crime was being on the tertiary edge of a crumbling sphere in cyclical politics, and having about as much pride as that Stanger dude does when he posts in the ASR. The only difference is we're only a fourth the size of Pacifica and don't have some sort of parser automation that can send 21k tech in a day.

Don't like us? Come to our boards seeking confrontation when we've never done the same? Claim we've done some sort of wrong in our rookie year as a tertiary coalition player (major folks whom you're now directly or indirectly allied to?) Fine. I can live with that. But this game is tiring and time is short -- if you come after my family or intend to harm them I will respond in kind. If you talk shit about them simply to fill some void due to a lack of activity or entertainment within your own alliance in this game -- whatever, I'll oblige.

Is the massive glut of treaties in the web really so thinly tied and full of weak allegiances that folks have to wait to come after us anymore? You would think if we weren't worth the time folks wouldn't put so much effort into antagonizing us.

I don't claim to have perfect grammar but I'm pretty sure that is actually an acceptable use of the adjective, but I guess at least it isn't a gif.

Also, hello Xanth, long time no talk.

I don't claim to have perfect grammar but I'm pretty sure that is actually an acceptable use of the adjective, but I guess at least it isn't a gif.

Also, hello Xanth, long time no talk.

Ah, I get a hello now? Last time I believe I spoke to anyone in mi6 (except abbas) I was being verbally attacked for my ally dowing you. Am I still ban from your forums for having the nerve to open an embassy?

I still stand 100% behind my last post there. 

NPO - Basically the same alliance since 2006

GPA - Bring back Jerdge

IRON - Bring me back Theo

Umbrella - Shamelessly and disgustingly pragmatic

NpO - At least they'll fight for you

WTF - Fitting three letters for them, still know next to nothing about them

ODN - OsRavan cult :grins:

VE - House Tyrell

R&R - Always on the fence

Sparta - Always off the fence

NATO - We could have done great...terrible...things

Valhalla - Men of Dunharrow, we'll call upon you!

NEW - Unknown Smurf multi's

DT - Samsung Galaxy S6

MI6 - Love them or love to hate them

Pax Corvus - see wtf

FAN - Thanks for the secret treaty

GOONS - Obama type change

FARK - 905 for life

SNX - the land of kee

Edited by IYIyTh

/me shrugs.

I'm guessing it was probably because you were supporting Smurfs hit on us. This was an unwarranted action that he has since all but admitted was a huge mistake and has even parodied himself. But it also helped those who were actively plotting to harm us by hurting our warchests and as a result also our ability to recover from a plot to harm us designed to keep us down for quite some time if not permanently. So yeah if you came over and were in peoples cookies at that time cheering on Smurf I can probably see why something like that happened.

That and when Smurth asked to be recruited and then complained when he got what he asked for and threw a fit because a few of our low level members kept doing what he asked them to do without knowing he wanted it to stop.

We said we were sorry for that (even though he literally asked for it)-- and once you say your sorry and still get !@#$ for it you tend to get more annoyed than willing to be tractable.

I'm still waiting on an explanation of the adjective callout :(

But yeah, I've never had a problem with you and doubt anyone else does or even remembers what you're talking about with a thread (I don't :P )

Edited by IYIyTh

I personally as well as my alliance was vocally not supportive of their action in that war. You have a revisionist view of that incident apparently.

You would need to see the movie to get the meme. 

Edited by Xanth

doesn't it mean what it says :?

because I know what it means and it's an acceptable use in context :|

but yeah I honestly have no idea what happened but I was just guessing because you said ally hitting us and i literally don't think i know any other folks other than smurf you were allied to or w/e so figured it was then!

I personally as well as my alliance was vocally not supportive of their action in that war. You have a revisionist view of that incident apparently.

Reading over the thread in question, both you guys are giving a little twisted version of what happens. Things do naturally tend to blend together in this game. I'd be more than happy to discuss MI6-SRA history / alliance interactions if you'd like, but certainly in a different venue. PM me if you're inclined.

I think this whole "why does MI6 suck" discussion can be summed up by one word: pride.

Sometimes, you need to be pragmatic, and not pour vitriol on your less polite opponents. It might be smart to give a nice answer to a less nice question, sometimes. You might be displeased by what someone posts in an embassy, but that does not mean you need to spend five pages moaning about how they're going to roll you for no reason, or grandstanding about how majestic your military capacities are and how you're going to make them regret it.

You also seem to suffer from the same disease on a member level, beyond the alliance-as-a-whole. Your members need to learn that it isn't always a great idea to show up and spread their genius opinion all over a thread. Sometimes it's more productive to have a few competent posters on one line in a thread than a roaring storm of half-informed opinions from your entire alliance.

If the rumours I've heard are true, about members directly disregarding instructions not to post their customary rage in an embassy -- which certainly seems to mesh with the rest of my impression of your alliance, though I'm not saying it is necessarily true just because of that -- then that also seems like a sign of your members' pride. You shouldn't prioritize your own special snowflake little opinion (which is probably the same as half of your alliance's already, anyway) above the success and governance of your alliance.

Learn some humility and get over yourselves. You aren't a magic special snowflake, no one is going to treat you like one, so stop acting like you are.

Good post, saxasm. I agree with you for the most part, though keeping up with embassy posts, OWF posts, and IRC bs is nearly impossible in MI6 when you also have a real life to think about.

Ah, I get a hello now? Last time I believe I spoke to anyone in mi6 (except abbas) I was being verbally attacked for my ally dowing you. Am I still ban from your forums for having the nerve to open an embassy?

I still stand 100% behind my last post there. 

We welcome all types at MI6. From trolls to people who can actually form a thought without it descending into unpleasantness. So no, you're not still banned from our forums for "having the nerve to open an embassy", if that ever was the case. We welcome all alliances who wish to begin a dialogue with us, or those who just want a place to post with a lot of active people.

ITT MI6 vehemently takes everything personal while everyone else takes things in stride.

Come on guys, stop rustling their jimmies. Let's roast someone else for a few posts so they can slip away to the powder room and fix their mascara.

ITT MI6 vehemently takes everything personal while everyone else takes things in stride.

Come on guys, stop rustling their jimmies. Let's roast someone else for a few posts so they can slip away to the powder room and fix their mascara.

Come with me Scourge and we can fix each other's mascara.

You are apparently reading an entirely different thread than I am. Try as I may, I'm just not seeing that at all.

VE - House Tyrell

I've always liked the Tyrells so I'm hoping this is a compliment. 

This thread is less about "analysis" as much as it is about people's personal opinions. Obviously if you've never interacted with X you'll either be neutral or just post whatever you hear through the grapevine. And most people's opinions are pretty easy to guess depending on what alliance they're in. However, this is still better than those posts about micro wars.

Edited by Baltus

I liked this thread better when it was on Rush's blog 8 months ago. Nothing meaningful enough has happened since then to change his analysis.

Few members of Bob are really conversant enough with all 20 AAs to form a meaningful opinion (including me). Except on MI6, obv.

I enjoy reading this kind of "analysis".  Rush indeed did it better.

Would not mind seeing a Top 20 analysis from Schatt though.

THIS WEEK IN TOP 20 ANALYSIS SCHATT TAKES LOGS OUT OF CONTEXT AND CREATES GRAND NARRATIVE THEREUNTO

I think the Tyrell family and history fit you in quite well :D

You'll just have to fight over who's Margaery/ Natalie Dorner but Goldie is sooo Mace.

Edited by IYIyTh

Slight aSoIaF/GoT spoiler alert for the below:

• NPO - House Targaryen. Totally awesome, Rhaegar is the hero of the entire series. May have at some point in the past have had a slight image problem, and some sort of disagreement and war with the other major houses. Loves fire (tech), and has three dragons two million tech. Beware of the firey end of the dragon.
  • IRON - House Martell. Orange-coloured, has some seriously cool people, was detached from the rest of the realm a long time ago. Not always at the centre of attention, but still does stuff, too.
  • GPA - The smallfolk. Never makes any noise, doesn't stand up too tall. If war comes to them, things get ugly. Could, if they rose against the lords and ladies of the realm, probably do a lot of damage.
  • Umbrella - House Lannister. Endlessly mining to sate their endless thirst for gold tech. A powerhouse sitting in the upper-tier mountains above the mid-tier plains. Not someone you want to wage a war against. Unkind voices make them out to be a villain who waged war on the heroes of the story, but really, they're just pragmatic.
  • NpO - House Stark. Cold and northern, of course. Recent leaders have claimed a high moral seat, but they have just as bloody a past as everyone else, and wasn't that King in the North thing a bit of a power-grab? Recent events have seen them somewhat decimated by their foes, but they're soldiering on. Still a way to go, Winterfell hasn't been rebuilt just yet.
  • VE - House Tyrell. Growing Strong -- it is not always entirely obvious where the Tyrell power comes from, and yet they still have it. Verdant green fields might not always impress the more warlike mind, but you can't argue with the results. Toil on the peacetime fields in one's lands seems to pay off, and give some teeth when needed. Still, not something that is often seen in use.
  • WTF - Craster. Sitting around doing nothing useful, and then getting stabbed dead when someone more powerful wants your stuff.
  • ODN - House Arryn. An ancient house, an honourable house. Has in its history done a lot of great things, and often been near the throne itself, even if they might never have sat it in their own right. Perhaps not always as obviously involved as they once were, but the capacity is certainly still there. (I can't figure out a fitting House that is also orange. Sorry...)
  • Sparta - House Frey. A decently powerful house in their own right, and certainly a very ambitious one. People might question their means, but it is clear what they are trying to do, and it mostly gets done. Their relationship with House Stark has a colourful history, and might not be in its best shape right now.
  • R&R - House Hightower. Important in their own parts, has some interesting roles to play, but not often at the centre of attention. Not an entirely deserved inattention.

Okay, I'll never get through the top 20 -- there's too many alliances and too few major houses, so I'll cut it short at the top 10. Here's a selection from the rest of the alliances:

• NEW - Those people from Sothoryos. Might be good at war, but no one has any idea what they're saying, so the story mostly ignores them.
  • MI6 - House Reyne.
  • NG - The Wildlings. Expect lots of talking about sleeping with she-bears, and Tormund's gigantic member. Pretty decent at actually doing things, too, but it isn't really what they're primarily famous for.
  • DBDC - The Others. They're not really entirely like the rest of us, are they? Scary.
  • DK, and also all the smaller less serious raiding alliances - The Ironborn. Randomly killing and looting is a serious skill of theirs. Not universally liked, probably because of the raping and looting. May have a connection to the Others, what with that whole what is dead may never die but rises again harder and stronger thing they've got going on.

TL;DR: Don't take this too seriously. It's intended primarily as humour and pop-culture, not as serious analysis. Where the two clash, expect the former to win out.