RP:CK [Interest Thread]

Hereno

Since CNRP and CNRP2 are basically dead in the water, and because the biggest problem with all 3 RPs we have right now are that we have way too few people for one map, I'm going to try to do something a bit different. The setting is Europe 1066 tech (subject to negotiation), the map is the CK2 map (not subject to negotiation), and I've come up with a ruleset that is simple, efficient, and conducive to RP.

New Players:

Anyone with a valid CN Forums account may join or leave the RP at any time. New nations may not have more than 3 provinces.

Land Expansion:

One province may be annexed into a nation every week, and each week is from Sunday to Saturday CN time. There is no post count requirement for annexation, but white space does have resistance and should be economically and militarily incorporated into the new nation to be annexed. If the mapmaker decides these requirements have not been met through RP, they may ask the GM team to make a ruling on it.

Activity Requirements:

Nations with no activity in 30 days may be treated as white space by any existing or new players. After 60 days, claims can be removed from the map, provided someone notices that the person is missing.

Locks may be requested and granted at the discretion of the GM team.

IC/OOC Crossing:

This is a RP. It is not your life, it does not matter, it's just a game we play on the forums. If you are blatantly and obviously OOC crossing, the GM team may take any action they deem suitable to put the RP back on track. Remember: your OOC friends and enemies should not be your IC friends and enemies, and your actions must be justified by the reality of the IC world.

Rerolling:

You can reroll any time you'd like. However, doing so requires that you wait a week between your old nation and your new nation, and you will not be on the map during that time.

Military:

Each province up to 5 provinces gives you 5,000 soldiers each and three points of industry.
Provinces between 6 and 20 will give 2,000 soldiers each and a point of industry.
Provinces after 20 will give 1,000 soldiers and no industry.

Each point of industry may be spent on 5 ships.

Every province produces 100 soldiers on the 1st of every IRL month to replenish losses from war. This cannot push you over your soldier cap.

Spying:

We have no spy rolls. If you want to spy on someone, get their permission. A dice roll will be done to decide the outcome; all spy attempts are 50/50 shots. Losses must be RP'd out.

Protectorates:

Nations may not protect more provinces than they own. A province in the process of being annexed counts as a protected province.

The GM Team:

There are 3 GMs. They are elected, serve 3 month terms, and can only be members of the RP/can only be nominated by members of the RP/can only be voted on by members of the RP.

The GM team can, through unanimous vote, start a vote to ban someone from the RP. If they do this, the community votes and majority rules.

All votes for anything require 72 hours of voting time and must be public. Nomination periods are also 72 hours long.

The GM team is responsible for posting important threads, arbitrating disputes, making dice rolls to decide damage/spy outcomes, and other miscellaneous things.

The GM team does not create a body of precedents.

New Rules:

Any member of the community may propose alterations to the rules by making a new thread. The GM team is responsible for gauging interest and making a vote thread if people seem to want the change.

The Elastic Clause:

In any case where I've forgotten something, the word of the GM team rules the day. If you are being a dick or otherwise being disrespectful or attempting to eLawyer your way around things, stop doing that !@#$ because you're making the RP suck. This is a community RP and the people here are real: don't be disrespectful, don't take things too seriously, and cooperate with your fellow RPers or get the $%&@ out.

Edited by Hereno

i'm in, Atheniai, Hellas and Demetrias

Edit: I'm not sure what to replace it with but I think the ruleset regarding soldier numbers may cause some problems longterm. While there are diminishing effects the more you annex the more soldiers you get so the rule does seem to favor older players and deter people trying new countries because of the time restrictions on expanding.

Edited by Centurius

i'm in, Atheniai, Hellas and Demetrias

Edit: I'm not sure what to replace it with but I think the ruleset regarding soldier numbers may cause some problems longterm. While there are diminishing effects the more you annex the more soldiers you get so the rule does seem to favor older players and deter people trying new countries because of the time restrictions on expanding.

Possibly. I thought of having 30+ provinces provide no benefit, but I also thought that would be a bit unrealistic and act as too much of a hard cap on nation size, which is something I purposefully avoided. Rather, a skilled player should be able to squeak out an empire that is bigger than that of a player who isn't good. There is a method to the madness and I may as well just share it now.

As you and Triyun, among others, always used to argue in the conventional CNRPs, there have always been big nations and small nations, and to have every nation be the same size and strength is, well, boring and unrealistic. Rather than have this based on nation size outside of the game, the RP here allows the largest nations to be the ones of the players who are the most committed to the RP and to playing those particular nations. Right now, to get to 20 provinces, it will take someone at minimum 4¼ months from the beginning of the RP, in addition to having to make at least 18 posts. That's not an insignificant amount of time, and it also makes the end nation something worthwhile, in addition to making sure that anybody who is sufficiently large actually cares enough to become large, and in addition actually cares about the area in which they are RPing. Who wants to spend that much time and effort on a nation they don't find interesting? It means that the land taken actually matters to the RPers.

But this system does not leave out new players; rather, it gives them real staying power, so long as they're willing to play the game correctly from an IC standpoint. While it does force new players to start small and play politics rather than trying to roll in as Rome and conquer the map (which in itself is a failsafe against trolls), it does put larger nations in a strategic position to support smaller nations rather than roll them over. Why? Because provinces are worth a lot more to smaller nations than larger nations. Sure, as The Byzantine-German-Italian Empire™, I could roll over Cent's 3-province fledgling nation fairly easily by myself should I really need to. But, if I did, I might only get 3,000 soldiers out of it and more coastline for my navy to cover; whereas by allying with you, I would get 15,000 soldiers to fight alongside mine, in addition to vastly increasing relative naval coverage. And if I help you get 2 more provinces, suddenly I have an ally ¼ of my strength who both owes me loyalty and is still manageable.

Sure, you could potentially get 100 provinces if you really want to over the course of years of build-up, but a 20 province nation has 55,000 soldiers compared to your 135,000. It would only take three of those nations, with only 60 provinces between them, to be able to take on your much larger empire - not just take it on, but have the advantage not only in soldier count but in having much less land to defend. Not to mention that it takes a lot less time to build up to 20 provinces than to 100. But if you split that 100 province nation in half, you get 170,000 soldiers between the two of you, at 50 provinces each, and in half the time. What this does is encourages cooperative RP on the OOC and IC level, by design. It isn't hamfisted in with an arbitrary cap, it is actually what makes the most sense. If you play correctly from an IC standpoint, which every person should be attempting to do, then reality will be re-created. Sure, it will probably need some tweaks, but we have plenty of time and I'm honestly really excited to see how things shape up once we get the ball rolling.

Possibly. I thought of having 30+ provinces provide no benefit, but I also thought that would be a bit unrealistic and act as too much of a hard cap on nation size, which is something I purposefully avoided. Rather, a skilled player should be able to squeak out an empire that is bigger than that of a player who isn't good. There is a method to the madness and I may as well just share it now.

As you and Triyun, among others, always used to argue in the conventional CNRPs, there have always been big nations and small nations, and to have every nation be the same size and strength is, well, boring and unrealistic. Rather than have this based on nation size outside of the game, the RP here allows the largest nations to be the ones of the players who are the most committed to the RP and to playing those particular nations. Right now, to get to 20 provinces, it will take someone at minimum 4¼ months from the beginning of the RP, in addition to having to make at least 18 posts. That's not an insignificant amount of time, and it also makes the end nation something worthwhile, in addition to making sure that anybody who is sufficiently large actually cares enough to become large, and in addition actually cares about the area in which they are RPing. Who wants to spend that much time and effort on a nation they don't find interesting? It means that the land taken actually matters to the RPers.

But this system does not leave out new players; rather, it gives them real staying power, so long as they're willing to play the game correctly from an IC standpoint. While it does force new players to start small and play politics rather than trying to roll in as Rome and conquer the map (which in itself is a failsafe against trolls), it does put larger nations in a strategic position to support smaller nations rather than roll them over. Why? Because provinces are worth a lot more to smaller nations than larger nations. Sure, as The Byzantine-German-Italian Empire™, I could roll over Cent's 3-province fledgling nation fairly easily by myself should I really need to. But, if I did, I might only get 3,000 soldiers out of it and more coastline for my navy to cover; whereas by allying with you, I would get 15,000 soldiers to fight alongside mine, in addition to vastly increasing relative naval coverage. And if I help you get 2 more provinces, suddenly I have an ally ¼ of my strength who both owes me loyalty and is still manageable.

Sure, you could potentially get 100 provinces if you really want to over the course of years of build-up, but a 20 province nation has 55,000 soldiers compared to your 135,000. It would only take three of those nations, with only 60 provinces between them, to be able to take on your much larger empire - not just take it on, but have the advantage not only in soldier count but in having much less land to defend. Not to mention that it takes a lot less time to build up to 20 provinces than to 100. But if you split that 100 province nation in half, you get 170,000 soldiers between the two of you, at 50 provinces each, and in half the time. What this does is encourages cooperative RP on the OOC and IC level, by design. It isn't hamfisted in with an arbitrary cap, it is actually what makes the most sense. If you play correctly from an IC standpoint, which every person should be attempting to do, then reality will be re-created. Sure, it will probably need some tweaks, but we have plenty of time and I'm honestly really excited to see how things shape up once we get the ball rolling.

Hadn't quite thought about that angle, ok sounds good.

timeline:

sunday night i'll post the nomination thread for the two gms who are not me (sorrynotsorry)

72 hours later, wednesday night, i'll post the election thread

elections will end on saturday night and the first week of the rp will start at midnight (sunday)

edit: oh, and while i haven't consulted the map, i see no reason why any claims ITT should be rejected, so you can consider them accepted

Edited by Hereno

eva - North/South Tyrol as the County of Tyrol
cent - Atheniai, Hellas and Demetrias as the Athenian League
horo - claim TBA
kevin - Angoulême and Bordeaux as Aquitaine
mr director - Gibraltar, Tangier, and the third province as the Moorish Empire
yeru - Jerusalem, Hebron, and Acre as the Kingdom of Judea
hereno - claim TBA

are the people in this rp so far

the reason i haven't made the nomination thread yet is because i forgot about it

given there's only seven of us, would you guys be okay with doing a prelim 2 weeks of just letting me be a sole GM? afterwards i'd not be eligible to run again, but if not, we can do the nominations. i just think it would be better to go ahead and get started and perhaps that would attract more people.

also i still haven't done the map because i'm a lazy fuck. i'm not entirely sure how to go about doing it but i'll get it up before 2014 ends

RJPll3m.png

the problem i'm having is getting the map to work without all of the white !@#$ around the edges

ostensibly, it is a product of the province borders not being solid lines, so the selections don't include everything

is there a work around, or am i stuck having to color in pixel by pixel?

edit:

update: community member mogar has provided me with a map with creator-friendly borders, crisis averted Edited by Hereno

Thanks, much appreciated. Also good to see that my borders are right.

In case it was not obvious already, I'm currently not posting much, given my mother visited me over the holidays and there's some work to do, so I'm kind of busy and not posting a great lot in general. Just in case people wondered why Tyrol has no posts yet. Will get rectified soon.