Sudanese News & Actions

Uberstein

600px-Flag_of_Sudan.svg.png

The State News Network of Sudan and Darfur (SNNSD), while officially run and maintained by the Secretariat of Sudan, is not an official diplomatic channel. Please direct all diplomatic requests and complaints to the Office of Foreign Relations within the Chancellery.

The SNNSD is proud to announce the beginning of operations, and under order from the Chancellery, has assumed control of all radio, television, and ISP positions within Sudan. Internet services are scheduled to resume within the month. Major announcements include the requirement for all citizens to report to their local administrative centers for confirmation of existing documentation. Census workers will also be taking record over the next month. Enlistment for police officers is open, with guaranteed retirement and health benefits.

[Classified]

The Sudanese Army has been given orders to evaluate the borders of Sudan for weakness, and to formally organize 9,000 soldiers into a standardized division. Any recruits over this number who are not placed into logistical service are to be put on temporary peacekeeping duties throughout the nation until such time as a second division may be formed.

The Sudanese Airforce is to begin trials of various aircraft, as well as anti-aircraft missiles and vehicles.

[End Classified]

Edited by Uberstein

[Classified]

Standardized equipment and organization for the Sudanese Army has been established, and the armament of existing forces has begun. The Sudanese Army has begun research into providing armored forces. The Sudanese Airforce has been tasked with equipping itself with 300 aircraft as soon as possible.

A task force has been given the job of researching and coming up with a design for a native Main Battle Tank. The design is not required to be entirely native in technological capacity. A combat network system is also to be researched, to allow forces to communicate with ease.

[End Classified]

The Secretariat has announced that Port Sudan will be renovated to previous levels of port capability and production capacity. The Minister of Economic Development cited this as part of the larger plan to ensure 100% employment within the nation.

Edited by Uberstein

[Classified]

The Sudanese-Rohan border is to be secured. All roads and rail lines passing between the nation are to have checkpoints built. Police at these checkpoints are to be armed with orders to fire upon anyone who attempts to illegally cross the border. A 10ft tall fence, topped with razor-wire, is to be erected 10ft behind the boarder, and is to have Dragon's Teeth anti-vehicle barriers erected in front of it towards the border. This fence is to be regularly patrolled.

A fortified military base capable of housing a standard army division is to be built at Ad-Damazin, and the Roseires Dam is to be secured against attack.

While no fence is to be erected along the boarders with Protectorate lands, regular police patrols are to be conducted and boarder towns are to be randomly inspected for unauthorized immigrants. All citizens will be required to carry their identification papers on them at all times following the completion of the nation census.

[End Classified]

Today, Chancellor Samara announced that the state of Sudan would be recognizing same-sex marriage, as well as trans and non-binary genders, and that anti-discrimination laws are currently being written to ensure equality and peace within the nation. These anti-discrimination laws will also aim to end ethnic tensions while preserving regional cultures and dialects.

"We have one central enemy. Ignorant hatred. It is from this mob rule that faith turns to hatred and violence, and the good people of the world tremble in fear. I will not allow such a thing to happen. All citizens of this great nation are born equal. It is our actions, our valor, which shows who we are, not our orientation or our ethnicity. Nor will I allow erasure. This is why I have invited regional community leaders to give their input on what should be included in local education programs in addition to the standard education."

The Culture Preservation Initiative has been declared active by the Minister of Culture. This program includes sending anthropologists and film crews to every region of Sudan to record regional dialects, customs, and in general create a film and written archive. Local cultural experts will also be interviewed on both the modern and historical situation of their people. The Minster of Culture states that this is only the first step in creating a comprehensive history of the nation, and that the original copies of the material will be stored in a massive combination library and museum complex near the capital. Construction of this complex is currently underway. The Minister of Culture has also stated that the only artifacts which will be stored in this museum are those which are voluntarily given, or under risk of destruction.

The Darfur Secretariat has declared Al-Fashir to be the location of their main offices, and has requested that the Minister of Culture, who serves under the Chancellery, build a second library in Al-Fashir for the peoples of Darfur. Chancellor Samara has met behind closed doors with the Minister of Culture and the ranking members of the Darfur Secretariat to discuss the issue.

[Classified]

The Sudanese Air Force has adopted and deployed the following aircraft.

30 Squadrons of Dassault Mirage 2000C

10 - Kassala Region

5 - Northern Region

5 - Kurdufan Region

5 - Blue Nile Region

5 - Darfur Region

7 Squadrons of A-10 Thunderbolt II

2 - Blue Nile Region

2 - Kassala Region

3 - Khartoum Region

3 Squadrons of OV-10 Broncos

1 - Khartoum Region

1 - Kassala Region

1 - Blue Nile Region

3 Squadrons of BA Harrier II

1 - Khartoum Region

1 - Kassala Region

1 - Darfur Region

The following Non-Combat aircraft have been adopted: E-3 Sentry, BN-Defender, and Antonov An-72

The Sudanese Army is set to adopt the following 242 Helicopters.

100 Mil Mi-24, 100 Mil Mi-17, 30 Mil Mi-2, and 12 Mil Mi-26

[End Classified]

The Minister of Economic Development has announced that a commission has been formed to analysis the state of existing railways, roads, and airfields in Sudan. This commission is also in charge of recommending action on transportation. All airlines, train companies, bus companies, taxi companies, and other modes of non-private transportation have been nationalized.

A new series of tests in order to get a drivers license has been announced, which includes a 2-day weekend course on safety. Drivers must retake this test every 4 years if they wish to keep their drivers license.

Civilian possession of firearms has been outlawed. Army units have been tasked with aiding the police in searching and collecting any and all firearms which fall into this category. Civilians have until the end of the month to turn in their firearms for a tax credit. After the deadline, possession of a firearm will result in a criminal sentence.

Edited by Uberstein

eez736_0-Copy.png

Exclusive Economic Zone of Sudan

Sudan hereby announces its EEZ and Territorial Waters. The former may be seen in the provided image. The latter, following tradition, extends 12 nautical miles from the baseline of the Sudanese coast. Sudan shall allow innocent passage into its Territorial waters, but reserves the right to close its territorial waters to any nation.

[Classified]

The 2nd Infantry Division has been moved to Ad-Damazin, and is to conduct small-scale exercises related to fast reaction to border penetrations by hostile forces.

Infantry divisions have been increased in size from 9000 soldiers per division to 12,000 soldiers per division.

[End Classified]

Edited by Uberstein

[Classified]

The Sudanese Airforce has started a renovation project which aims to build military capabilities into every state capital airport. This includes underground hardened hangers, underground fuel storage, military radar stations, and secondary control towers.

To protect against decapitation strikes, the Sudanese Army has been given directives entailing how to maintain organization without orders from the High Command. The Secretariat will maintain an emergency civilian command for each state. Underground cables, protected against taps via pressure-sensitive casings, are to connect these commands to a central switchboard in Khartoum. Should this switchboard be destroyed, the system will be able to be manually switched to a secondary switchboard in Omdurman.

The Casspir mine-resistant vehicle has been adopted for use in convoys alongside the Nyala.

[End Classified]

The Transportation Commission has released its first report, stating that the current status of rail is abysmal. The BR Class 91 high speed train has been recommended for adoption, and it has been proposed to extend or re-open the rail lines to the following cities: As-Damazin, Al-Fashir, Al-Junaynah. It is proposed to build secondary lines for high-speed rail alongside existing freight lines.

Edited by Uberstein

[Classified]

The Sudanese Army has procured 68 more helicopters, and raised its total number of soldiers to 33,696.

30 Kamov Ka-27, 30 more Mil Mi-2,  and 8 more Mil Mi-26.

The Kamov Ka-27 helicopters have almost exclusively been deployed to Port Sudan for use in policing the territorial waters of Sudan.

[End Classified]

[Classified]

Following a deal with Athens, 30 squadrons (180 aircraft) of the Dassault Rafale multi-role fighter have been acquired and made the main fighter for the Sudanese Air Force. The 30 squadrons of Mirage 2000C aircraft have been placed into storage, and are to be maintained in near-combat-ready status. Should Rafale's be shot down in combat, the Mirage 2000C's will serve as a temporary replacement until more Rafale's can be ordered from Athens.

[End Classified]

Chancellor Samara has announced a diplomatic visit to the protectorate territory of South Sudan, with the goal of meeting with local leaders. "The crimes committed by the previous governments of Sudan against the proud people of South Sudan must be apologized for. We were united upon our initial independence from the British, but Khartoum, my home city, broke its promise. Civil war and genocide plagued Sudan. The people of South Sudan were oppressed over their culture and faith. I hope to try to make the first steps towards making up for these crimes. I will be open, I foresee a day when Sudan may stand completely united. But such a day can never come if we ignore the past and do nothing to right our wrongs."

[Classified]
A central military, subterranean control center, modeled off of other control centers such as the Christopher C. Kraft Jr. Mission Control Center, the war room from Dr. Strangelove, is now under construction near Khartoum. A subterranean railway is to connect the Chancellor's residence (formerly known as the Presidential Palace,) the main offices of the Secretariat, and the underground control center. It is to be made as blast-proof as possible.

Secondary control locations are to be build in the vicinity of Al Fasher, Dongola, and Ad-Damir. These locations are to be wired into the secured, buried, land-line network. The ability to cut individual command centers out of the network can be done with the Chancellor's personal code; entering the code and location will cause charges to destroy the lines and main servers of the targeted location.
[End Classified]

A mandatory national healthcare insurance program has been instituted; all citizens must pay an additional small tax towards health care, which will in turn pay for the nation's medical procedures and hospitals.

The Death Penalty has been banned for all crimes with the exception of high treason and espionage. The maximum sentence for all other crimes is now lifetime service in a penal labor group. Sudan reserves the right to execute traitors and spies.

In unrelated news, all foreign journalists and film crews must register with SNNSD, or be faced with, at minimum, deportation. SNNSD also reserves the right to all material filmed or written inside Sudan. All journalists, film crews, and other foreign news associates have until the end of the month to contact SNNSD or vacate the country.

Construction of public fallout/bomb shelters has begun in all major cities of Sudan. The locations of these shelters will be publicly available both through convenient signage and through the Secretariat's official website. An official statement was released by Chancellor Samara regarding the shelter construction:

"There are in no way military bunkers. They are a place for the people of Sudan and Darfur to seek shelter should the horrors of war ever come upon Sudanese soil. The location of these shelters is open, so that any invading force with even an ounce of humanity will not target them. Should war ever come to Sudan, and should Sudan lose that war, this is my effort to ensure that civilian casualties remain as close to zero as possible. For without its people, there is no Sudan, no Darfur. The leadership of this land may change, but its people must endure."

[Classified]

100 Chieftain tanks, 100 M60 Patton tanks, and 100 T-72 tanks have been acquired for in-depth testing and comparison. Those which are not disassembled or used as firing targets are to engage in small-scale war games across Sudan, with a focus on the desert.

[End Classified]

The healthcare program has been extended to citizens of the South Sudan region. While they are not part of the nation of Sudan, they are granted a limited number of free visits to Sudanese health clinics and hospitals per year.

[Classified]

A mobile command center, capable of traveling on the nation's high-speed rails, is to be constructed. An additional two identical decoy-trains will also be constructed. All are to look identical to the existing passenger trains currently being adopted. This system is expected to come online shortly after the completion of the high-speed passenger railway.

SAM operators have been provided with anti-radiation-capable missiles, such as the MIM-104B, with orders to shut off their radar and immediately fire anti-radiation SAM's should they be jammed or suspect ECM aircraft to be operating in their zone. SAM sites are to be constructed at state capital airports to supplement the existing military capability upgrades. The Patriot Missile System has been adopted for this task. The Sudanese Airforce has been given complete control of these sites to ensure that coordination between SAM operators and the pilots in the air is maximized. Radar sites have been ordered to adopt highly randomized frequency hopping, and landlines are to connect the SAM sites to their fixed radar sites to prevent enemy eavesdropping. However, unless in wartime, all military radar is to use a standardized low-power frequency. The secondary radars directly associated with the SAM sites are to be kept in passive operation unless the primary airbase radars detect incoming aircraft which have been deemed hostile.

Warehouses connected to the freight rail network, containing secondary, mobile Patriot systems are to be constructed for rapid deployment of the radar and launcher trucks to the appropriate front.

The towed variant of the BM-14 has been adopted for anti-infantry saturation bombardment. Each artillery company will receive two "half-batteries" of BM-14 launchers.

[End Classified]

The BR Class 91 high speed train lines have begun construction, and the Transportation Commission has moved on to reviewing the existing network. The existing network will likely be switched over to pure freight after the passenger high-speed rails have been finished.

The Manurhin Mr 73 revolver with the 3" barrel and using .357 magnum ammunition has been made the standard sidearm for civilian police forces.

Edited by Uberstein

Chancellor Samara has announced the creation of the Committee for the Assurance of Civil Quality (CACQ). This group has been tasked when ensuring that every household in Sudan is connected to modern sewage, water, electrical, and telephone/intranet systems. This group has also been tasked with creating an Intranet for Sudan, separate from the international internet, to which Sudanese civilians may connect too for ease of communication in areas such as finding a job. Connection with the international internet will require special permits.

An emergency loudspeaker announcement system, as well as an emergency broadcast system, are currently being designed for civilian purposes. These will be used in conjunction with the civilian shelter network.

Edited by Uberstein

OOC: After some thought, I think I'll adopt TBM's rules. He and I may disagree on some areas but I can't see anything I truely object too in this rule set:

ooc- this nation can be recognized or not, I do not care. I will not recognize attacks that have not been agreed upon by me in advance. Wars and rp should be collaborative. If you want to play with me, the following are the rules.

1) RP is discussed in advance.
2) Using ooc logs and conversations to justify ic actions, not allowed.
3) The rp desired is long term rp, don't bother me with your whining about needing a cheap thrill. If you want a war, we can do something, but only after the rp is put into place to justify a build up to war. While I don't require pre-planning for war, I will require that any war declared against me have an OOC discussion (private or public, I don't care) involving rule 4, to ensure that the war goes smoothly.
4) War posts will be very clearly written using technology we've both agreed upon, likewise so will character combat posts. All fights must start with the exact equipment, units, and locations of the units being stated.
5) RPing a character in Sudan is permitted so long as you aren't burning down entire cities or controlling my citizens.

EDIT: Edited rule 3 to be more in line with my personal way of doing things.

IC:

An anti-desertification program has begun, with the goal of expanding on sustainable agriculture and monitoring water usage. Modernization and mechanization of Sudan's agriculture is also planned. All farmers and farms are to be nationalized, and farmers will be employed directly though the Secretariat's agricultural branch, and will sell their goods through the Secretariat.

Edited by Uberstein

[Classified]

A minor work strike in Port Sudan has been forcibly dissolved. A contingent of 3000 soldiers has been deployed to the city to aid the local police in keeping the peace. A fortified army base capable of holding a division in hardened barracks is to be constructed outside the city.

Fortifications on the Sudanese-Rohan border are to be maintained, but patrols are to be dropped in intensity.

[End Classified]

The Culture Preservation Initiative has agreed to build a second centralized museum in Al-Fashir, for the cultures and collective history of Darfur.

[Classified]

Following massive Rohanese movement across the border, the 2nd Infantry Division has been put on alert. Soldiers have been issued with their arms and live ammunition, and emergency drills have been intensified. The Sudanese Army has also been given PFM-1 air-dropped land mines, with orders to deploy them en-mass across the border should the Rohanese forces advance, and as such active patrols of Mil Mi-17 helicopters carrying these mines have begun to patrol the border. 2 armed squadrons of OV-10 Broncos aircraft stationed in the Blue Nile and Kassala regions will begin active patrols along the border.

A contingent of 6000 soldiers (two brigades) has been moved to the Sudan-Eritrea border in case a force pushes through protectorate territory.

[End Classified]

Chancellor Samara, having returned from his diplomatic tour in South Sudan, has announced that a cultural fair will be held in the capital to showcase the traditions and culture of South Sudan. "Hatred and violence is bred from ignorance. It is through the removal of ignorance that unity and peace will be achieved. Should any community leaders in South Sudan wish to attend, they have simply to call my office and arrange free transportation."

Edited by Uberstein

[Classified]

The total forces of the Sudanese Army has been raised from 33,696 to 64,808. The Third, Fourth, and Fifth Fouth Infantry Divisions have been formed, and been put on active alert along the Rohan boarder near the cities of Kurmuk and Doka respectively. This would bring the total forces on the border to 36,000. The Sudanese air-force would also remain on high alert. The 5th Infantry division is to be deployed on medium-alert to Port Sudan.

A new military base would begin construction at Al Fashir, with hardened barracks for a standard division.

To cut costs, the Pinzgauer series of vehicles have been adopted to replace the RG-31 Nyala, with appropriate desert-operation modifications such as dashboard mounted fans and improved engine cooling systems.

[End Classified]

Edited by Uberstein

[Classified]
The 1st and 5th Infantry Divisions would re-deploy to the Marrah mountains with appropriate equipment for Operation Midnight Crocodile. All civilians in the region would be notified that the military will be operating in the area and to not be alarmed.

The Sudanese Army continues to expand, now numbering 86,752 soldiers in comparison to its previous size of 57,064. As such, the 6th Infantry Division will be formed, and tasked with replacing the forces on the Sudan-Eritrea border.

Recon flights by the Sudanese Air Force along the border are to intensify, and squadrons of Dassault Rafale fighters along the border are to prepare for potential air-superiority missions within Rohan. The 4 squadrons of A-10 Thunderbolt II aircraft in the region are to be prepped for the potential saturation of the border with cluster munitions and napalm.

Border checkpoints have been temporarily given Folgore recoilless rifles, and non-Divisional forces have been stationed at these checkpoints to ensure their ability to stand up to hostile military forces.

[End Classified]

A second diplomatic mission to South Sudan has begun, this time with the goal of spreading economic benefits to the region. Jobs in Sudan would be offered to anyone in South Sudan seeking work. Income tax for these workers will be halved, so that they may bring capital back to South Sudan to encourage its economy.

The high speed train network nears completion, and some sections have begun operation.

Edited by Uberstein

[Classified]

"Chancellor, I don't see what we're waiting for. The army could sweep through Rohan in a matter of weeks. My aircraft would decimate any attempt to delay our victory. This is a war we could win!" The Commander of the Air Force, Hasan Albaf, started to flip through the various documents in front of him, "Our reconnaissance says that the Rohanese army couldn't possibly be supporting the initial numbers reported, and that implies a bluff. They're scared of us, shouldn't we take this advantage while we still have it?"

The Commander of the Army, Afif Alfarsi, chipped in, "Not to mention, should we get any kind of diplomatic support from either of the superpowers interested in the region, Sudan could both gain clout from taking out a destabilizing regime, while expanding its territory and gaining resources. Ethiopia could serve as a military bastion from which we could strike at any forces that went into Sudan proper. It would also put us in a position to eventually petition for Somalia and other coastal territories. This could be the move that makes Sudan a real player in global politics."

Chancellor Samara took a sip from his glass before responding, "Gentlemen, I've already made up my mind. Unless Rohan proves itself to be an aggressor, I will not strike against them. And even if a war becomes unavoidable, this idea of imperial expansion is absurd. It's exactly why I'm so worried about Rohan in the first place, they openly told our ambassador that they wish to become an east African empire. No, should war come to Sudan, it will be a limited war. A replacement of leadership, establishment of a demilitarized zone, short-term military occupation. These are the things I would peruse. Not territorial expansion fueled by a lust for blood."

Afif fought to keep from raising his voice, "Chancellor, you're not seeing the big picture here! Sudan could be great, respected! Look at Draka, they do what they please, and the security council does nothing. Surely we could do the same? Athens and Tianxia have shown themselves to dislike Rohan. We would be doing them a favor!"

"And what would we get in return for giving them this favor? Hmm? Nothing. These are powers with which we must tread delicately, Mr. Alfarsi. Should we intervene on their behalf and do things incorrectly, they could come upon us like a whirlwind. All we have built would be for nothing. And even if we won, we would be sending the message that Sudan is ready to take up the mantle of regional power, and we are in no position to do that. Your army is insignificant compared to those of the world outside. If we should engage an offensive war, we risk losing everything. But a defensive war, from there we can hold our heads up high politically. And if we're in such a position of strength of Rohan, there is no reason to worry." Samara motioned for the two men to leave with a wave of his hand, "Now, I think I've heard quite enough of imperial ambitions today. Go back to your toy soldiers and tell them to hold their positions."

[End Classified]

[Classified]

All border crossings with Rohan have been declared sealed, with concrete anti-vehicle barriers being placed on the roads crossing between the nations. Air traffic between the two nations has been banned with the exception of unarmed government aircraft. Chancellor Samara has arranged to meet with the returning Ambassador to discuss a future plan for how to deal with Rohan and its imperial ambitions.

Construction of clearly marked minefields, with a mixture of anti-tank, anti-infantry bounding mines, and minimum-metal mines, has begun along the border where possible. The signs marking these fields are to be written in the official languages of Sudan and Rohan, with additional signs in regional languages as applicable. Barbed wire fences are to border the minefields as well.

--Chancellor Samara's Office--

Okot tossed the photographs and reports off the table, sending pages flying into the faces of the two senior intelligence officers standing before his desk. While his tone was level, his eyes burned with anger, "How could such a mistake be made? The mobilization of the army, the mining of the border, the stress I have endured thinking a war was going to come to Sudan. This is unacceptable. Such a mistake must never be made again. How you could mistake an army moving away to be a build up is beyond me." He stood to walk over to the small bar in the office, and poured himself a glass of whiskey,  "Sheer incompetence. And the worst of it? I can't back down. Oh no, what I heard from the ambassador certainly told me that. I need to put the fear of god into Rohan's leadership, lest somebody else has to do it. All of east Africa. He wants all of it!"

The officers looked at the ground as the Chancellor took a long sip and continued to speak, "Given their past action, there is no way to predict what they will do. Who will they threaten tomorrow? Who will they try to align themselves with the day after that? What will be their ambition, and who will they tell? Could you imagine what could have happened if an Athenian or Tianxian representative was listening? War. We'd have a war in our backyard. That means refugees, basing contracts, and eyes. Eyes staring at us, wondering who this Samara fellow is next door and what HE thinks. Oh no, I can't back down. Rohan must respond, the army must build up the border. A cold conflict must be created just to keep their armies from stirring up trouble and bringing down the wrath of Olympus." He turned to the pair of officers, "All documents referring to our movements as a response to local border buildup are to be destroyed. I want new documents. Our justification is, and always has been, the regional containment of Rohan's imperial ambitions. Get to work. Now.

---------------------------------------

[End Classified]

Edited by Uberstein

[Classified]

The central and secondary control centers for the Sudanese military have been completed. Airport renovations have been completed. Military bases at Ad-Damazin, Port Sudan, and Al-Fashir have been completed. Construction of similar hardened bases at Kassala, Khartoum, and Al Qadarif has begun.

The forces on the border are to be stabilized as follows:

1st Infantry Division - Khartoum State

2nd Infantry Division - Ad-Damazin Base, Blue Nile State

3rd Infantry Division - Al Qadarif Base, Al Qadarif State

4th Infantry Division - Kassala Base, Blue Nile State

5th Infantry Division - Port Sudan Base

6th Infantry Division - Prepared for Deployment via Aircraft

Additional Forces - General Security Duties

[End Classified]

The civilian bunker network continues construction, and nears completion. The emergency broadcast and loudspeaker system has been completed, and bi-monthly civilian drills will begin in all locations which have their bunkers completed.

The operating government of Arnew would like to establish official relations with Sudan, as well as establish mutual embassies.

The SNNSD is simply a news reporting agency and not responsible for foreign relations. Please contact the Chancellery.

OOC: Start a seperate diplomatic thread. :D