(IC) Global Analysis 2: Accountability in government

The Zigur

In the last Global Analysis segment, we broke down the primary political philosophies of this world, but encountered some confusion from our viewers. Why are some democracies like TOP so efficient, and others stagnant and lacking in dynamic? Why are some autocratic regimes also democratic, while others are simple dictatorships?

After recently speaking with both a friend in TOP, and a friend in NPO, I will provide you with the answer why, by illustrating the accountability of these governments and sharing my own experience with NSO. I will also explain why terms like "efficient democracy" and "democratic autocracy" are not always self-contradictory terms, and why Order always prevails.

The Order of the Paradox: Democratic Accountability
gallery_30970_15_3612.png

None can doubt the capability and efficiency of the Order of the Paradox. For a long time, this ability confused even myself: How can a democracy expect to succeed when by definition it does not completely remove itself from the state of nature? In reality, however, the democracy of TOP was not designed to check the power of the sovereign, but rather, to hold it accountable.

A careful analysis of Paradox reveals its democratic experiment was not shaped around an irrational fear of centralized power, as so many democracies are. Indeed, within Paradoxia King Feanor has reigned for many years. Paradoxia's Order implemented a democratic institution to maintain accountability of the leadership. After all, the absolute duty of any alliance sovereign is to defend and advance the interests of the Nations.

With a strict selection process and an institution designed to advance the power and glory of the Order, Paradoxia has become a beacon and example of true democracy for all democratically oriented alliances to aspire to. Instead of resisting Order, Paradoxia has embraced it, and adopted democratic accountability to ever march gloriously into the future.

The New Pacific Order: Autocratic Democracy
gallery_30970_15_8337.png

At it's peak, the New Pacific Order established the Hegemony, a monumental achievement which brought Pacifican philosophy to the global scale and established global stability that lasted years. Through Francoism, power and glory was expressed scientifically via written word. But in it's early days, Pacifica was no mere dictatorship that served the whims of the leader. Comrade Vladimir reformed the Praetorian Guard to preserve the ideological purity of the Order. [ooc]The name of the Guard was no accident: the Roman Praetorians were known to assassinate their emperors from time to time.[/ooc]

The mission of the Praetorian Guard is to protect the New Pacific Order and the Pacifican way of life from those who would choose to harm the alliance, either intentionally or unintentionally. In the glory days, the Praetorian Guard served as a handpicked ideological inner party of the Order, maintaining a powerful grip over both the membership and the higher offices. Should an Emperor turn from Francoism and the Order, it was the responsibility of the Praetorian Guard to organize his overthrow.

Unfortunately, the Mad Emperor Revenge, also called Moo-Cows, weakened the Praetorian Guard. When a leader of the Praetorian Guard, Al Kassad, made his stand against the Mad Emperor, he was thrown from the alliance and accused of spying for Vox Populi. Ivan Moldavi also made his stand, attempting to sieze power during the Moldavi Rebellion, but was defeated. Those who remained did so out of loyalty to the Order, but with the Mad Emperor's power left unchecked, he plunged the Order into destruction and the Hegemony finally fell.

Emperor Cortath did his best to salvage the situation, but those who followed him never understood the importance of accountability and the Praetorian Guard, and to this day the Order has never fully recovered.

The New Sith Order: Rule of the Strongest

In 2009 Ivan Moldavi returned to establish the New Sith Order, and as Count da Silva, I was the fifth nation to join. With the failure of Pacifica, Ivan sought to establish a new Order that embodied many the ideals of the old Body Republic, with a healthy system of accountability. He established a system that allowed Sith to rise to power in meritocracy, and to allow democratic challenges that could remove a weak leader from power.

Since I was the strongest ideological voice of the Sith, and with my experience in the Imperial Assault Alliance, Ivan appointed me to replicate the Praetorian Guard within the NSO. To this end, I founded the Bureau of Internal Security, a secular body with the same mission as Pacifica's Guard: to hold both the leadership and the membership accountable to the interests of the Order. This was done in the same manner: a handpicked, ideologically pure inner-party with a powerful network of Sith that acted as a secret police force. [ooc]Unfortunately, due to real life circumstances I went inactive (as did Ivan), and never returned.[/ooc]

Recently, Rayvon revealed that he himself had dismantled the Security Bureau and had thrown Ivan Moldavi from the alliance years ago, resulting in a loss of accountability and absolute power held in his hands. With the Bureau gone, Rayvon proceeded on a path that has led to the NSO's situation today.

Edited by Tywin Lannister

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, while it's not against any rules to post a blog and a topic of the same thing, try to stay away from making it a regular deal. It's kind of obnoxious and splits the discussion of the issue anyways.

Agreed, but with the recent obnoxiousness, I had to take precautions as I will be busy today :p

Agreed, but with the recent obnoxiousness, I had to take precautions as I will be busy today :P

Why not just make them World Affairs posts? If you're afraid of the discussion getting drowned out or what not. They'll remain up there so long as they are active. If you want them linked to a blog, just make one blog post with a list of all of them and update it constantly. That way people who visit your profile can see it.

...or let's not do things the easy way. What do I know, anyways?

Dude, while it's not against any rules to post a blog and a topic of the same thing, try to stay away from making it a regular deal. It's kind of obnoxious and splits the discussion of the issue anyways.

This must be "plan B". /snicker.

Recently, Rayvon revealed that he himself had dismantled the Security Bureau and had thrown Ivan Moldavi from the alliance years ago, resulting in a loss of accountability and absolute power held in his hands. With the Bureau gone, Rayvon proceeded on a path that has led to the NSO's situation today.

Damn right such a "secret police" was abolished. There is no Brotherhood under such oppression, and our leaders aren't so weak they need to influence from the shadows to build and retain power.

You talk about where we are now, our Order is at one of it's strongest states ever. We've walked the edge of nothing together and rose above it. We've forged relations stronger than any other we've ever had. We have a clearer sense of honour and each Acolyte know's where they stand within and we stand as a whole. We innovate and evolve quickly, adapt with ease.

You walk a lonely path, unwanted and without respect of anyone - muttering from out in the cold about alliances of whom you used to be apart. Alliances of which you can only now peer through a window and make sweeping assumptions about through your cracked lenses.

And for your clarification, i did not throw him out. He left of his own will.

Damn right such a "secret police" was abolished. There is no Brotherhood under such oppression, and our leaders aren't so weak they need to influence from the shadows to build and retain power.

You talk about where we are now, our Order is at one of it's strongest states ever. We've walked the edge of nothing together and rose above it. We've forged relations stronger than any other we've ever had. We have a clearer sense of honour and each Acolyte know's where they stand within and we stand as a whole. We innovate and evolve quickly, adapt with ease.

You walk a lonely path, unwanted and without respect of anyone - muttering from out in the cold about alliances of whom you used to be apart. Alliances of which you can only now peer through a window and make sweeping assumptions about through your cracked lenses.

And for your clarification, i did not throw him out. He left of his own will.

This is nice propaganda, but you misrepresent the purpose of the Bureau. Its purpose was not to oppress, but to focus the collective energy of the Sith through a coherent ideology with the guidance of the Order's finest, much like Pacifica's Praetorian Guard or my earlier creation, the COMPNOR of the Imperial Assault Alliance (which advanced IAAdeology). It is not oppression to allow nations achieve freedom of potential and to serve as the collective voice of the nations.

It's "oppression" served as a check against power hungry leaders like yourself and even Ivan himself. Yes, the Bureau protected Ivan against unworthy opposition, but it also was a check against Ivan himself should he ever lead the Order down the wrong road as you have. Ideology and philosophy is far more powerful than emotion and raw ambition. Ivan's cult of personality got the ball rolling, but the Bureau preserved his original intent for the alliance.

Edited by Tywin Lannister

This is nice propaganda, but you misrepresent the purpose of the Bureau. Its purpose was not to oppress, but to focus the collective energy of the Sith through a coherent ideology with the guidance of the Order's finest, much like Pacifica's Praetorian Guard or my earlier creation, the COMPNOR of the Imperial Assault Alliance (which advanced IAAdeology). It is not oppression to allow nations achieve freedom of potential and to serve as the collective voice of the nations.

It's "oppression" served as a check against power hungry leaders like yourself and even Ivan himself. Yes, the Bureau protected Ivan against unworthy opposition, but it also was a check against Ivan himself should he ever lead the Order down the wrong road as you have. Ideology and philosophy is far more powerful than emotion and raw ambition. Ivan's cult of personality got the ball rolling, but the Bureau preserved his original intent for the alliance.

To not allow the Acolyte full free will and thought is, in the opinion of this Emperor, an unacceptable oppression of the Brotherhood. If they weren't Sith and of our ideology they would not reside in membership or government. The Challenge System remains integral as check and balance.

To not allow the Acolyte full free will and thought is, in the opinion of this Emperor, an unacceptable oppression of the Brotherhood. If they weren't Sith and of our ideology they would not reside in membership or government. The Challenge System remains integral as check and balance.

The Bureau never prohibited free will or thought. It couldn't, as nation rulers cannot be put in concentration camps or torture chambers. The Bureau simply embodied the Will of the Collective, purging AA loiterers, monitoring OWF posts, and the like. As a group, Bureau agents could coordinate to influence decision making and held the respect of the people, but were not policy makers themselves. In the case of an Emperor such as yourself who made bad policy decisions, the Bureau could coordinate in the interests of the Order to utilize legal means to remove an official from power, and mobilize the membership.

That's not mind control, that's simply networking combined with ideology.

The advancement of these ideologies that you claim these AAs are all about seems unnecessarily and undesirably rigid. You talk of "ideologically pure" secret police guiding the governments and members to their one, true goal or whatever. It's kind of creepy. As times change, situations change, leaders change, memberships change, and lately even the ways our nations operate changes. It seems ridiculous to think an alliance shouldn't change, adapt, and keep up. To hades with biased, irrational, and uncompromising ideologues! 

Btw, what does any of this do for global stability? And remind me again why we should care about global stability.

Edited by Farnsworth

The advancement of these ideologies that you claim these AAs are all about seems unnecessarily and undesirably rigid. You talk of "ideologically pure" secret police guiding the governments and members to their one, true goal or whatever. It's kind of creepy. As times change, situations change, leaders change, memberships change, and lately even the ways our nations operate changes. It seems ridiculous to think an alliance shouldn't change, adapt, and keep up. To hades with biased, irrational, and uncompromising ideologues! 

Btw, what does any of this do for global stability? And remind me again why we should care about global stability.

Although I understand your conservative outlook, your points are a bit reactionary.

A good philosophy lasts the tests of time and adapts to changes. That is the basis of material analysis: finding the solutions that best fit reality. Thus it evolves as conditions change.

I embrace Order. Once, long ago, much of the World did. Of course, like with NSO, If not enough people work together under a single ideological banner, it cant happen. The corrupt always want more power. Thats what happened in NSO. Edited by Tywin Lannister

Hahaha I don't know what you think is happening in NSO, but you've clearly got a heavy obsession with what's inside our walls. Has your sister found herself lost in Moldavistadt?

Its not what is happening, its whats not happening. When empires decline, they go the wrong way and come under massive attack. Only by embracing true Order can they reach the glory of their potential.

To understand any alliance - NSO, NPO, TOP, or any other - you simply can't try to analyze it from the outside looking in. Even with your "friends" assisting you in understanding, you simply can't. It's been a long time since you've been a Pacifican, and I'm not sure if you've ever been a Paradoxian or a Sith. You have no idea what you're talking about. Your weird obsession with us all grows creepier by the day.

I feel like if you devoted half the time you spent towards these analysis as you did to alliance government, you could make yourself a spectacular alliance, I suggest New Tywin Order as a name, since we dont have an NTO.

To understand any alliance - NSO, NPO, TOP, or any other - you simply can't try to analyze it from the outside looking in. Even with your "friends" assisting you in understanding, you simply can't. It's been a long time since you've been a Pacifican, and I'm not sure if you've ever been a Paradoxian or a Sith. You have no idea what you're talking about. Your weird obsession with us all grows creepier by the day.

He was an early member of NSO (he talks about it a fair deal) but given how he's been opposed by current NSO members, I can't imagine he knows much about their modern culture.

That being said, you're right on this one.

He was an early member of NSO (he talks about it a fair deal) but given how he's been opposed by current NSO members, I can't imagine he knows much about their modern culture.

That being said, you're right on this one.

I dont think you have full understanding about the NSO membership Bob. There was some drama before war.

I dont think you have full understanding about the NSO membership Bob. There was some drama before war.

No, I don't. That being said, nor do I pretend to. I don't know the member culture of any alliance particularly, aside from TOP. Nor do I pretend to... and that right there is the key difference between you and I on this matter.