The South American Accords

Captain Enema

Please be aware the war games would not be using any live ammunition and the scenario is about defending Paraguay from attack. Half the forces involved would be the defenders and the other half the attackers. For this war gaming exercise targeting lasers and sensors would be used to register any kill shots.

However, if you all think this is a bad idea we can cancel the war game exercise if we have to. 

We will reiterate: We do not recommend Paraguay conduct war games or other military exercises and actions.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"That's a resolution I think would be favourable to all involved. Pará would not be opposed to Paraguay's military exercises as long as they are conducted under our supervision, as well as that of Argentina and any other South American nation that wishes to oversee them. Given Paraguay's history of internal instability and unwarranted military aggression, it is a fair stipulation."

Paraguay will gladly allow observers from any and all South American nations that wish to observe our war games. We would welcome the presence of experienced observers as it will provide a peace of mind from you all as well as allowing us to have experienced personnel on hand to inform us of any improvements that could be made. 

"It has come to the attention of the SAO that the Imperio Republica has been campaigning aggressively for annexation of the protectorate territory comprised primarily of Piauí. Though the SAO is not opposed to protectorate territory being integrated into sovereign nations, this can be done only-- absolutely only-- with the approval of the people of the protectorate. The Republica claims that the people of the territory want annexation, but this can be gauged solely through an SAO - supervised referendum, to be held at our discretion."

An official statement from Pará would follow shortly thereafter.

"The Republic of Pará, for its own part, looks upon the Republica's efforts to annex the territory in question with great scepticism. Their history of aggressively seeking expansion, as well as this concerning use of terms like 'manifest destiny'-- used by nations such as the Holy American Empire and the first incarnation of the United States of America to justify military expansion, displacement, and genocide-- does not allay our apprehension. If anything, were the people of Piauí to desire integration with a sovereign nation, Pará, with as much a bond of proximity to the territory as the Republica, with the added benefit of a historical Brazilian cultural connection, would prove a better option. Pará presents many of the same benefits claimed by the Republica in their campaign for annexation-- work opportunities, free and quality education, institutions to help those who have fallen upon hard times back to their feet, the full industry of the Republic. Pará has a history of stability and actions governed by an overarching pursuit of collective South American unity and peace, not to mention being one of, if not indeed the most long term and most prolific extant provider of funds to the SAO. We present this purely as an option should the people of the territory in question seek integration into an independent nation: for its part, Pará is merely concerned with the Republica's aggressive campaigning for annexation, their talk of manifest destiny and clear drive to expand."

OOC: There are a couple ways this can be done-- I could put up a poll, with options like 'integrate into Pará, integrate into Republica, or remain part of the SAO', open only to SA nations, but considering there's about five of us present, that may not be the most productive option :v Otherwise, however, that seems to me to be the most reasonable option. We could also do it from more of a roleplay perspective, but that is all too often muddled up by the OOC aims of the respective nations involved. I'm open to suggestions.

"The Republica would like to note that the interested territories include Mato Grosso du Sul, Goias, Tocatins, in addition to Piaui. While the interest of Para in Piaui is new to the Republica it is not a surprise.  We've been very active in those territories, even before the current conflict. The people of our nation desire this probably more than I do as they've been in the protectorates themselves in the form of the Followers. As I said in the quote you may have heard on the IRN, I desire this only if they people of the protectorate do. Unlike our counterparts who have claimed manifest destiny we have no intention of forcing this to a point of war. As for Para's interests in Piaui, I'm sure something could be worked out should the polls prove indecisive there."

OOC: My main concerns with polls are that people don't vote as if they are protectorate citizens, they vote for themselves. I would like my propaganda runs to count for something, but they don't have to. Otherwise a poll seems to be the most reasonable way to go about it. 

ooc- I'm ok with him getting new land if he's been rping. It isn't like we are hurting for white space and neither are people lining up to get it. But crux of the issue, has LZ been rping and propaganda doesn't matter at all.

IC- The Amazon Confederacy will not make a statement at this time. 

An independent SAO-conducted referendum regarding the matter of the territories of Mato Grosso du Sul, Tocantins, Piaui, and Goiás has concluded, finding that a plurality of the populace of the territories in question wish to join the Imperio Republica as provinces of that nation. To this end, SAO personnel are prepared to assist the Imperio Republica in integrating these territories as part of their sovereign nation in as fluidly, swiftly, and efficiently a manner as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

To: The SAO

We of the Paraguay government feel we can no longer lead the people of the land to a better future. The stress and limitations due to the previous rulers of Paraguay are weighing down on us too heavily. Thus we wish to hand over the people and the land to the SAO to better help them both. Thank you. 

Though it was always unfortunate when a government proved unable to meet the pressure and the difficulties of maintaining a sovereign nation and securing a prosperous existence for its citizens, it would have been even more unfortunate for those citizens to be subjected to an incompetent government too proud or too corrupt to do the right thing. Therefore, that Paraguay's government had seen fit to request a return to protectorate status was fortuitous. Upon reception of the declaration, the SAO would mobilise its personnel, working with former Paraguayan administrators and personnel to ease the transition from a sovereign state to an SAO territory. Life would continue smoothly and largely uninterrupted for the Paraguayan people-- if anything, with SAO personnel improving existent Paraguayan infrastructure and providing a secure, stable administration for the Paraguayan people, life in Paraguay became more prosperous than it had been in many, many years.